Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
I want to buy a MBA 11" but don't want to buy it if a refresh is coming in January. I got caught in that loop with my MBP. So, I was wondering if there are any speculations on when the next refresh will be and what new things should we expect?????

komoornik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Most likely not.

But buying in Apple Store you will end up with higher base price + tax - it will be more then 100 $.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
No upgrades for some time. The current versions are using Intels latest ultra low voltage processors.
Check the Apple Insider web sites price list for lowest prices.

I want to buy a MBA 11" but don't want to buy it if a refresh is coming in January. I got caught in that loop with my MBP. So, I was wondering if there are any speculations on when the next refresh will be and what new things should we expect?????

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
January??? The next refresh will be for Intel Ivy Bridge processors, sometime next summer or even later.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
The new models have only been out since July 2011. The current MacBook Airs seem to have a 9 month cycle between refreshes so I wouldn't expect a new one until April 2012. The current model is only the 2nd refresh with the new design so I wouldn't even expect a design change in next year's model.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Ivy Bridge Intel CPUs in March - april 2012. They will probably be the next MBA refresh.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Ivy Bridge Intel CPUs in March - april 2012. They will probably be the next MBA refresh.

Plus, that's just the target for the release of the initial Ivy Bridge line. Mobile Sandy Bridge chips were released in January 2011, but the MacBook Air wasn't updated until July, about a month after the 1.6GHz i5, 1.7GHz i5, and 1.8GHz i7 ULV chips were released.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next MacBook Air update doesn't occur until next summer. The timing seemed to work well for them, since it was featured in back-to-school promotions. Last year's Air was also well timed for the holidays, but they probably don't want to wait that long with all the PC Ultrabooks coming out over the next few months. Undoubtedly, by winter or spring, some will be out with specifications that top the Airs at comparable or lower prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.