Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlili4190

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Whenever I open my mac book air(13") it keeps asking me to connect to a network. No matter where I am it won't remember my network and it is really starting to bug me. It doesn't happen on my 15" MBP. Any reason to this?

OS X=10.7.1
Bought it 3 weeks ago

LordJim

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
I think it's a consequence of the latest update. I've read it'll be fixed in the next one.

carlili4190

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Thats good to hear!
It is getting a bit annoying...

Why doesn't it happen on MBP's though? I can't seem to figure it out why it happens. I've tried deleting the network and redoing it. I've tried to click "remember this network" but nothing works.... I'm going to try and call apple.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
it's not a Macbook Air problem...it just depends on the network and the router you are using too.i've had this problem on some networks and some are just fine.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
it's not a Macbook Air problem...it just depends on the network and the router you are using too.i've had this problem on some networks and some are just fine.

I actually think it's a MBA and/or Lion problem. After working fine for a week, mine started exhibiting weird behavior tonight (kept report "invalid password" even though it wasn't)... until I moved much closer to the router. This is a router that works and has worked reliably for a LONG long time, with multiple apple devices. Even as I had the problem on my new Air, my iPad was next to it connected just fine, along with an older iPad and an old white MacBook. Never had a problem with my old original Air.

So I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility it is indeed an Air or Lion problem.

Sticman

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2008

Sorry, but I disagree. The MBPs have better/more current wi-fi circuitry.

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
I've been having this issue for a week... my girlfriend pointed it out to me as I just apparantly never caught on to it always asking to select a network. Definitely a new-er problem as it is (to my knowledge) only been happening on my 2011 MBA and not on my late-2010 MBA.

azonax

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
Air/Lion problem I think.

I have the latest MacBook Air purchased in early August and am also experiencing this issue. Every time I open the MBA in my apartment, it seems to have forgotten my wireless network although it reconnects when selected manually. I also have a 2010 MBP, an iPhone 3G and and iPhone 4 and none of them have this problem so I would say it is almost certainly an Air/Lion "feature"; let's hope it's sorted soon :)

slapshot

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Central Ohio
My wife has a MBA I got her last year for Christmas and she has the same problem. I have a 2009 MB and it occasionally happens to me. I think it may be a Lion problem also. Any idea when the next update is due out that may fix this issue?

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
Another update:

I noticed that once the problem started, it created a cascade effect across the network where any iDevice + systems with Lion could not connect to it wirelessly. Day 1 my MacBook Air couldn't connect... Day 2, my iPhone, iPad and Daughter's computer (with Lion) couldn't connect. I had to reset the router (unplug it, wait and replug it in).

Since then, for six days, all was fine.

Today, I suddenly lost connection on my new MBA again. Same symptoms... searching for network and unable to connect. It asked me for a password and I put the right one in. It told me "invalid password".

I went and reset the router again... and now it's fine. MBA connected without issue immediately.

Looking at a calendar, I realize it was last Sunday I started having the first problem... and now again this Sunday. I wonder if my ISP is resetting my connection on Sundays, and if the systems with Lion are for some reason having an issue with getting a new IP address... hmmm.

Will have to wait a week again to see! LOL

It's definitely a new problem since the MBA entered our house. My daughter got a new iMac around the same time too. I've never had a problem with my Time Capsule like this before... it's been solid for a long long time.

Devil Dog 21

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas City
Interesting reading the replies from everyone.

I got my MBA a few weeks ago, and ever since I brought it home I have to reset my router 4-5 times a day. I'm thinking it my router and not my MBA after trying several tests, but won't know for sure until later this evening when i plan on putting in a new router and seeing if it makes a difference.

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
Have you tried changing the channels on your WiFi settings of the router? Most folks take the default channels which causes a bit of noise and interference. Try a new channel and see if that helps. Just a suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.