PDA

View Full Version : [phones] What can an iPhone do that a android phone can't? [EDIT: and vice-versa]

Pages : [1] 2 3

utl768
Sep 25, 2011, 07:34 PM
is there anything?

im torn on my next phone

YMark
Sep 25, 2011, 07:43 PM
Last a full day on a single battery charge. Comes with a search function too.

iMikeT
Sep 25, 2011, 07:45 PM
is there anything?

Yeah, work properly and as expected.

Every Android phone I have ever been handed can't even get scrolling right. When I see an Android phone scroll as smooth and fluid as an iPhone, then we'll talk.

macingman
Sep 25, 2011, 07:46 PM
is there anything?

im torn on my next phone

An iPhone gets much better support and software updates than android. The warranty service is superior. IPhone has way more apps. And in my eyes iphone has a much superior UI and OS.

Goldinboy17
Sep 25, 2011, 07:49 PM
An iPhone gets much better support and software updates than android. The warranty service is superior. IPhone has way more apps.

This. It doesn't mean Android phones suck, they're just different. They're more customizable than the stock iPhone OS. Android also offers the ability to choose your phone with dozens of different options.

benhollberg
Sep 25, 2011, 07:54 PM
FaceTime.

Well that's a given for now. There are so many alternatives and I do hope FaceTime is offered by Apple for other systems.

Anyway, I honestly can't thing of something that is serious that an iPhone can do that an Android phone can't.

iMikeT
Sep 25, 2011, 07:54 PM
This. It doesn't mean Android phones suck, they're just different. They're more customizable than the stock iPhone OS. Android also offers the ability to choose your phone with dozens of different options.

More options doesn't make a product any better.

A automobile manufacturer can offer a dozen different horn sounds for a particular car but does it mean that the car itself will perform better?

jvmxtra
Sep 25, 2011, 08:02 PM
software software software.

Every software that's written and available on iOS is expected to work flawlessly because apple controls hardware and os.
Because of this reason, (along w/ the fact that people actually spend money on apps) there are more and better software being written for iOS.

That's all you have to know.
THis is indisputable truth.

EvilShenaniganZ
Sep 25, 2011, 08:03 PM
Don't ever compare phones by Apps. That is not even a factor anymore. Almost anything I've ever wanted is in the market.
The customization for me is a big plus. The bigger screen for games and media too.

vikingjunior
Sep 25, 2011, 08:05 PM
Honestly there is nothing but there is a lot of things an Android can do that an iphone can't or won't.

That is the reason a day doesn't go by that an Android thread doesn't get created here. If it was really a piece of junk there wouldn't be these debates.

aztooh
Sep 25, 2011, 08:20 PM
FaceTime.

Well that's a given for now. There are so many alternatives and I do hope FaceTime is offered by Apple for other systems.

Anyway, I honestly can't thing of something that is serious that an iPhone can do that an Android phone can't.

A weird bunch around here...this is voted up for what reason?

The post itself mentions there are "so many alternatives" to FaceTime. And FaceTime is inferior to those other options. FT can only be used while connected to wifi and can only be used iPhone 4 to iPhone 4.

To the OP...the question is really invalid. You'd have to be more specific. Android isn't a single phone. Both platforms have their pros and cons.

Vikingjunior nails it. Android OS allows the users to do so much more.

bgro
Sep 25, 2011, 08:28 PM

Every software that's written and available on iOS is expected to work flawlessly because apple controls hardware and os.
Because of this reason, (along w/ the fact that people actually spend money on apps) there are more and better software being written for iOS.

I would mostly agree with this statement. I am a fan of tech in general and have used android, webos, blackberry and iOS phones and without a doubt, imho, the iphone's software is the smoothest and most intuitive of all that I've used. That includes native and 3rd party apps. I've briefly used a few android phones during my 3GS and IP4 days and within 1 week I miss my iPhone. Apple fanboyism ftw

Edit
In all fairness tho, I will say that there are things that I feel are sorely missing from iOS that Android supports mainly a file storage system (hate not being able to reply to an email and add an attachment like word doc or excel doc or something). Android is def a cool OS but the intuitiveness of iOS is just not there

aztooh
Sep 25, 2011, 08:29 PM

Not really, depends on the user. The only app I missed from my iPhone when I used an Android device was iTunes Remote. They now have decent options for that, but I'm sure they don't work quite as well as the one for the iPhone...and that's to be expected. Just like Google Voice app works better on Android than it does on my iPhone.

Also, widgets would be part of the software...and they are non-existent on iOS. Something I miss very much from my Atrix.

Duckit
Sep 25, 2011, 08:32 PM
The iPhone has airplay, iTunes, iMessage, Facetime.

vistadude
Sep 25, 2011, 08:38 PM
It can shatter into 1000 pieces if you drop it.

Seriously the apps are pretty comparable between the two platforms but most things are easier and more intuitive on iPhone. There's no back or menu buttons. Also iPhone has a convenient silent/ringer switch. Android phones always seem to be ahead in screen technology and processing speed.

xavierpunkreno
Sep 25, 2011, 08:42 PM

This. I'm curious to see how the purchase of Motorola by Google is going to work out though in regards to this.

scott craft
Sep 25, 2011, 08:52 PM

Seriously the apps are pretty comparable between the two platforms but most things are easier and more intuitive on iPhone. There's no back or menu buttons. Also iPhone has a convenient silent/ringer switch. Android phones always seem to be ahead in screen technology and processing speed.

I don't think the lack of a back button is an advantage for the iPhone. Maybe if I started with the iPhone I would feel different, but I find a back button helpful in many instances.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Tilpots
Sep 25, 2011, 08:57 PM
Couple of others:

-iPhones play well with Macs much better than Android devices do with other computers. Apple's system is designed to integrate Apple products. Android products are standalones.

-iPhones can play iTunes DRM'd content. Androids can't.

-Apps makers usually offer iOS versions before Android versions.

-iPhones and Blackberry's are more accepted by business clients Than Androids because of their enhanced security features.

-Many more brands make Made for iPhone specific accessories.

Etc., Etc., Etc.,

FreakinEurekan
Sep 25, 2011, 09:01 PM
Not all of these apply to everyone's situation, but here's a few things that I personally find most useful and that keep me on iPhone vs. considering an Android phone:

The App Store - WAY more apps than Android. Yes, you can usually find "an" app for Android that will do what you want, but many, many more developers release on iOS than on Android - and the quality of apps available shows it.
Integration with iTunes - if you keep your music and/or videos on iTunes, syncing is painless (and soon wireless, with iOS 5). iPhone was my first Apple product - I now also have two Apple TV's and an iPad, and I love the fact that I can get at my media from any device.
Battery life - no Android phone comes close
iCloud synchronization - this is going to be a MAJOR game-changer in iOS 5 (due for release next month

iMessage and FaceTime are great, but not critical to me. YMMV. I love the fact that most of my iPhone apps also run on my iPad (without buying them again), but I suppose that could be true of Android apps if you also had an Android tablet so you could consider that a wash.

7even
Sep 25, 2011, 09:10 PM
The iOS user experience is much smoother in my experience (iPod Touch vs. Android phone, single-core A4 chip vs. single-core 1ghz Snapdragon). Everything from basic things (e.g. web browsing) to third-party apps is usually nicer on my Touch (e.g. try playing with the Pulse app on iOS and then compare to Android).

aztooh
Sep 25, 2011, 09:16 PM
Couple of others:

-iPhones play well with Macs much better than Android devices do with other computers. Apple's system is designed to integrate Apple products. Android products are standalones.

Apple themselves disagree that having the phone a "standalone" device is inferior, as they are moving towards that with iOS 5.

Not to mention, my Atrix played just fine with my PC. It also could wirelessly sync with it giving me control of text messaging and other functions right on my PC

----------

Not all of these apply to everyone's situation, but here's a few things that I personally find most useful and that keep me on iPhone vs. considering an Android phone:

The App Store - WAY more apps than Android. Yes, you can usually find "an" app for Android that will do what you want, but many, many more developers release on iOS than on Android - and the quality of apps available shows it.
Integration with iTunes - if you keep your music and/or videos on iTunes, syncing is painless (and soon wireless, with iOS 5). iPhone was my first Apple product - I now also have two Apple TV's and an iPad, and I love the fact that I can get at my media from any device.
iCloud synchronization - this is going to be a MAJOR game-changer in iOS 5 (due for release next month

iMessage and FaceTime are great, but not critical to me. YMMV. I love the fact that most of my iPhone apps also run on my iPad (without buying them again), but I suppose that could be true of Android apps if you also had an Android tablet so you could consider that a wash.

Integration with iTunes was a concern of mine before (BB) my iPhone and when moving to Android. BB desktop software had the ability to sync your iTunes content to your phone, and there's an app called DoubleTwist that smoothly syncs your iTunes content with Android. There are probably other solutions as well.

It's not the same as having iTunes on the phone, but it works well.

boss.king
Sep 25, 2011, 09:19 PM
There's nothing iPhone can do that Android can't, the only difference is the way the OS goes about performing the tasks given. It's a matter of what suits your needs better. Can I also suggest that you check out WP7, with Mango it's pretty much on par with other platforms, and has been said to be smoother than iOS.

Opstech
Sep 25, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hello apple team,
About 4 months ago I switched to an Android phone. I didnt want to switch, but with work supplying me a phone I didnt want to pay for extra service. There are the differences in both phones, but Im not here to debate which phone is better. You all know which one isYour phone is better. I will however, tell you the one single part of the iPhone 4 I miss. I miss the screen. Ive turned in three phones because of dust underneath the glass. My old iPhone 4 screen never had a spec of dust underneath the glass at all. I found out that apple adheres the screen to the glass. Now that my business switched providers, Verizon, Im holding out for the iP5. I hope the iPhone 5 will have the same production as the 4.

Rodimus Prime
Sep 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
About the only think iOS has that Android does not have is being able to play the DRM stuff from the iTunes store. That would be movies and old music files from the iTMS. Other wise no not really.

There are several apps that can do something like Facetime and of those I believe several are cross platform and work with iOS.
Several Apps work like iMessager. Go Devs have one that work with any other Go Dev SMS client and will switch between SMS and Go Chat (a feature I turned off)

As for Apps well while the iOS has more it really does not matter the good Apps are on both platforms.
As for Keyboards I am going to say Android wins out big time in that department.

Simple answer not much.

Skika
Sep 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
It runs software that is made by people with a sense of design and culture.

Android is made by and for the geeks. Nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.

Tilpots
Sep 25, 2011, 09:24 PM
Apple themselves disagree that having the phone a "standalone" device is inferior, as they are moving towards that with iOS 5.

Not to mention, my Atrix played just fine with my PC. It also could wirelessly sync with it giving me control of text messaging and other functions right on my PC

Wireless syncing and updates does not constitute Apple moving toward a standalone device. It's actually creating a tighter experience with iCloud and several other improvements. And your Atrix doesn't have nearly the integration with a computer that iPhones have with Macs. iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, Address Book and on and on... Syncing an iPhone to a Mac is effortless in comparison.

aztooh
Sep 25, 2011, 09:25 PM
About the only think iOS has that Android does not have is being able to play the DRM stuff from the iTunes store. That would be movies and old music files from the iTMS. Other wise no not really.

There are several apps that can do something like Facetime and of those I believe several are cross platform and work with iOS.
Several Apps work like iMessager. Go Devs have one that work with any other Go Dev SMS client and will switch between SMS and Go Chat (a feature I turned off)

As for Apps well while the iOS has more it really does not matter the good Apps are on both platforms.
As for Keyboards I am going to say Android wins out big time in that department.

Simple answer not much.

One thing I really missed about my iPhone when I was using an Atrix was the keyboard. Not really the keyboard itself, but the layout. I hate how on Android, when you're in messages in landscape mode..the keyboard and text area takes up the entire screen. You have to close the keyboard to look at the conversation...was very annoying and didn't find any 3rd party keyboards that solved my issue...

vikingjunior
Sep 25, 2011, 09:28 PM

I guess you never heard of the cloud, it's syncing without wires.

dqfayi
Sep 25, 2011, 09:31 PM
Amazing functions of iPhone are! The apps are pretty comparable between the two platforms but most things are easier and more intuitive on iPhone. :cool:

aztooh
Sep 25, 2011, 09:37 PM
Wireless syncing and updates does not constitute Apple moving toward a standalone device. It's actually creating a tighter experience with iCloud and several other improvements. And your Atrix doesn't have nearly the integration with a computer that iPhones have with Macs. iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, Address Book and on and on... Syncing an iPhone to a Mac is effortless in comparison.

Well, "your Atrix" isn't applicable...I'm back to an iPhone. Had issues with the Arix and returned it...this was long ago, around it's launch time. Figured I'd hold out til June and get a 5...we all know where that's at now...

Anyway, not every user...probably the majority of users...don't care about PC/MAC syncing. My mother has an iP4...she'd be very happy never having to hook it up to a computer for anything. I have my contacts synced with my gmail account, which I have set up as an exchange account on my iPhone...I don't need to sync anything for my contacts...add or remove a contact on the device, my gmail contacts is updated. Add or remove a contact while in gmail on my pc, my device is basically instantly updated. Google calendar works well too.

Easy photo options as well. I don't own a Mac, so I can say one thing is more "effortless" than the other...and that's not really the point of the question posed in the OP. Someone says that "Android can't do that", when it can, I'm going to point it out...that's all.

sulpfiction
Sep 25, 2011, 09:38 PM
iPhone just does everything better. And I'm not a fanboy. It's just a fact. The whole UI on any android phone is FAR less superior to iPhone. It just a fact.

aztooh
Sep 25, 2011, 09:41 PM
iPhone just does everything better. And I'm not a fanboy. It's just a fact. The whole UI on any android phone is FAR less superior to iPhone. It just a fact.

You might want to look up the definition of "fact", and then maybe compare it to "opinion".

Tilpots
Sep 25, 2011, 09:49 PM
Well, "your Atrix" isn't applicable...I'm back to an iPhone. Had issues with the Arix and returned it...this was long ago, around it's launch time. Figured I'd hold out til June and get a 5...we all know where that's at now...

Anyway, not every user...probably the majority of users...don't care about PC/MAC syncing. My mother has an iP4...she'd be very happy never having to hook it up to a computer for anything. I have my contacts synced with my gmail account, which I have set up as an exchange account on my iPhone...I don't need to sync anything for my contacts...add or remove a contact on the device, my gmail contacts is updated. Add or remove a contact while in gmail on my pc, my device is basically instantly updated. Google calendar works well too.

Easy photo options as well. I don't own a Mac, so I can say one thing is more "effortless" than the other...and that's not really the point of the question posed in the OP. Someone says that "Android can't do that", when it can, I'm going to point it out...that's all.

Sure, not everyone wants phone/computer integration, but that's my point as it relates to the OP. If you ever do get a Mac I would imagine you'd agree, too. An Android can't/won't/doesn't sync to a computer in the automagic way an iPhone does with a Mac.

There are some solid Android devices out there and the platform currently has some advantages over the iPhone. Just making the point that computer integration isn't one of them.

macingman
Sep 25, 2011, 09:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

FaceTime.

A weird bunch around here...this is voted up for what reason?

The post itself mentions there are "so many alternatives" to FaceTime. And FaceTime is inferior to those other options. FT can only be used while connected to wifi and can only be used iPhone 4 to iPhone 4.

To the OP...the question is really invalid. You'd have to be more specific. Android isn't a single phone. Both platforms have their pros and cons.

Vikingjunior nails it. Android OS allows the users to do so much more.

Please get your facts right before posting. FaceTime isn't just between iPhone 4's but macs,
iPod touch 4G, iPad 2.

Android fanboys tsk tsk tsk.

aztooh
Sep 25, 2011, 09:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please get your facts right before posting. FaceTime isn't just between iPhone 4's but macs,
iPod touch 4G, iPad 2.

Android fanboys tsk tsk tsk.

Android fanboy? Considering my current device is an iPhone, not sure how that makes much sense...but whatever.

Okay...iPhone 4 can FaceTime with iPods and Macs...I know this...and that's great. My point is, an app like Tango or Qik (skype) does the same thing...and works cross platforms AND over 3g connections. FaceTime is GREAT when both parties are connected to wifi...but lacks the other features.

ChazUK
Sep 25, 2011, 10:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Regarding "iPhoto, iCal, Address Book", Google provide seamless syncing of that content.

Picasa Web Albums integrates into the stock Android gallery application and Picutres/videos can be easily uploaded to Picasa. The Picasa application on Mac & PC works well too.

iCal & address book are OK but Google Calendar and address book play nice with multiple devices on multiple platforms at the same time. I've successfully used Google's contacts and calendar on an iPod Touch/Android handsets/Windows Phone 7 handset and my Mac all at the same time with information updated on each device wirelessly.

iTunes is the biggest thing Apple have over Android oems. Some of the third party stuff is nice (DoubleTwist/iSyncr/MediaMonkey) but the only bit of software that can compete with iTunes on any other platform is Zune and Windows Phone 7.

F123D
Sep 25, 2011, 10:38 PM
Two good things about iPhones.

1. If you have a problem with your iPhone, you can take it to an apple store and they almost always will replace your phone on the spot.

2. Great resale value.

eaglesteve
Sep 25, 2011, 11:12 PM
Just from the top of my head, a few come into mind:

A. Security.
With iPhone, if yo do not jailbreak, you can have high confidence that applications that you download would not steal your data. You can't have the same assurance with Android, where Malware and dodgy applications in the official market place is a hugh problem.

B. Customization.
I know many will protest strongly when reading this, but it's fact from the viewpoint of normal users. ( not talking about hackers here, whom I'm sure would love the ease of doing anything they want to they phone). Android's firmware are divided into many region, making it difficult to combine any languages you want in the same phone. If I'm in Australia, I can't use my phone in Chinese like I could with iPhone without changing ROM. (not just talking about keyboard, but have the UI in Chinese).
If I want feature A (e.g., some special feature of HTC), I can't at the same time have the feature I like in Samsung since I can have only one ROM at a time.
In contrast, a jailbroken iPhone's approach of customisation is always installing a program to the single version of stock firmware, hence customisations are not mutually exclusive to the other customisations.

There are customisations which can only be achieve in iPhone but impossible on Android. One such customisation is to skip/repeat/start/stop music and media using hardware buttons (I use long press volume button to skip/repeat, and long press home key to start/pause media). I can perform this without leaving another application, or on home screen, or on lock screen, or when the phone is asleep.

C Integration with iPad and PC
If I create a Safari reading list, it shows up in the iPad and iPhone. If I save a bookmark, all three of them are synced via iCloud. If I take a picture with my iPhone, it shows up in the iPad and the PC wirelessly. If I create a contact, it get added to the contact on the iPad and Mac via iCloud. If I read an eBook on the iPhone and put the bookmark on the page, I can see that on my iPad. I know this is also done a certain extent with Android, but the integration with iPad and PC is far tighter with iPhone.

D. Consistent user interface.
You can have a consistent way of doing copy and paste, but you can't have that on Android.

E. Ease and assurance of firmware upgrade, quality of firmware
You can concentrate on using the phone, not on flashing ROM just to keep updated and to patch issues.

F: Availability and quality of application
Depends on what your requirements are, the seriousness differ. In my case, I still have about 5 applications that I absolutely must have but are still unavailable on the Android platform. The same applications also tend to be of higher quality on iPHone than on Android. I have a golfing application called GolfCard Pro, for example on both my iPhone and my Samsung Galaxy S. The one on SGS is laggy, does not support sharing of golf score with my buddies using HTML mail (since HTML mail is unsupported in Android, according to the software vendor).

G. Multitasking the way I want it.
With Android, I often find applications re-starting on their own, after I have killed them. It is more difficult to manage compared to iPhone's.

H. The little things
I just much prefer all the subtle little things in iPhone's UI, such as the feedback sound, the shape of the icon, the manner speed/style of scrolling. I dislike Android's back button which is suppose to bring you back to the previous function (although many applications also duplicate that process but a button on the screen, like the iPhone's way), while other times, it kicks the user out of the application all together causing frustration. You can't customise the phone to disable the accidental kicking out of the application, unfortunately.

Zepaw
Sep 25, 2011, 11:24 PM
An iPhone can run without glitching and freezing at a whim.

boss.king
Sep 25, 2011, 11:26 PM

As can Android.

TM WAZZA
Sep 25, 2011, 11:30 PM
Resale Value

myPod
Sep 25, 2011, 11:56 PM
Android phones are for those who like to tinker with their phones OS and exert some control over the phones functions using utilities. So if you like to tinker ....GO ANDROID.
Android OS tends to be all over the map as far as version and support.
It's usually hard to contact the OS manufacturer (Google for the OS and brand xxx for the phone manufacturer) about any issues (try to get a hold of Google - its IMPOSSIBLE).
You have to rely on your carrier, and usually depending on how popular you model is, you may or may not get any help.
Android phones are manufactured by DOZENS of manufacturer. Therefore models come and go like mushrooms.
Your android phone will usually be out classed within a month or two. Because of that, they are more common or "a dime a dozen" and therefore they don't usually hold their value very well.
Quality varies all over the map from manufacturer to manufacturer.
3rd party accessories makers don't want to invest too much in products because models change too often and they don't want to be stuck with inventory.

The Apple iPhone on the other hand is a piece of art to say the least.
Quality and build quality is superb. Support is GREAT.
iPhones tend to holds their value.
They generally work as designed.
Battery usually will last all day.
You'll find QUALITY accessories made for iPhone from major manufacturers like JBL, BOSE, SONY, PANASONIC, MARANTZ, ONKYO, SONOS, PORSCHE, MERCEDES BENZ, FORD, PIONEER HARMAN KARDON, M-AUDIO just a few. All these companies I mentioned have docks/cradles/interfaces/speakers ETC. for the iPhone/iPod. I serious'y doubt if any of them want to invest in any Android device (SORRY ANDROID)

So I say, STICK WITH iPHONE. You'll be glad you did. :)

At the end of the day, you can truly say you enjoyed using your phone.

macinnv
Sep 26, 2011, 12:11 AM
Great posts from this thread. While I agree w most, I would say the gap is narrowing. I've been on android since the beginning and always wanted to switch to iPhone. Now there isn't a huge incentive to switch. For me it would just come down to iTunes library syncing, not necessarily the iTunes store. I would imagine soon enough Google Music will be out of beta and will provide the same features.

Tablets are a completely different ball game. iPad wins without a fight.

newyorksole
Sep 26, 2011, 12:23 AM
when I think Android, I think PC's. not a good thing.

myPod
Sep 26, 2011, 12:35 AM
Great posts from this thread. While I agree w most, I would say the gap is narrowing. I've been on android since the beginning and always wanted to switch to iPhone. Now there isn't a huge incentive to switch. For me it would just come down to iTunes library syncing, not necessarily the iTunes store. I would imagine soon enough Google Music will be out of beta and will provide the same features.

Tablets are a completely different ball game. iPad wins without a fight.

On the contrary, I think NOW is the best time to switch.

Unless you have many of the products from manufacturers I listed in my earlier post (which I doubt if you're on Android) your only investment is probably on software, and that couldn't be that much.

You don't have to wait for Google Music. iTunes is more robust. Enjoy it!!

Enjoy life. Enjoy the new iPhone 5. I'll bet you be glad you did. ;)

dension
Sep 26, 2011, 12:37 AM
Android phones are much better, they can do what even a iPhone can't do. One of the issues I have always had with the iPhone is its information system. Basically, it depends on a single system that all applications have access too but this is not the case with Android.

throne
Sep 26, 2011, 12:40 AM
Just from the top of my head, a few come into mind:

A. Security.
With iPhone, if yo do not jailbreak, you can have high confidence that applications that you download would not steal your data. You can't have the same assurance with Android, where Malware and dodgy applications in the official market place is a hugh problem.

B. Customization.
I know many will protest strongly when reading this, but it's fact from the viewpoint of normal users. ( not talking about hackers here, whom I'm sure would love the ease of doing anything they want to they phone). Android's firmware are divided into many region, making it difficult to combine any languages you want in the same phone. If I'm in Australia, I can't use my phone in Chinese like I could with iPhone without changing ROM. (not just talking about keyboard, but have the UI in Chinese).
If I want feature A (e.g., some special feature of HTC), I can't at the same time have the feature I like in Samsung since I can have only one ROM at a time.
In contrast, a jailbroken iPhone's approach of customisation is always installing a program to the single version of stock firmware, hence customisations are not mutually exclusive to the other customisations.

There are customisations which can only be achieve in iPhone but impossible on Android. One such customisation is to skip/repeat/start/stop music and media using hardware buttons (I use long press volume button to skip/repeat, and long press home key to start/pause media). I can perform this without leaving another application, or on home screen, or on lock screen, or when the phone is asleep.

C Integration with iPad and PC
If I create a Safari reading list, it shows up in the iPad and iPhone. If I save a bookmark, all three of them are synced via iCloud. If I take a picture with my iPhone, it shows up in the iPad and the PC wirelessly. If I create a contact, it get added to the contact on the iPad and Mac via iCloud. If I read an eBook on the iPhone and put the bookmark on the page, I can see that on my iPad. I know this is also done a certain extent with Android, but the integration with iPad and PC is far tighter with iPhone.

D. Consistent user interface.
You can have a consistent way of doing copy and paste, but you can't have that on Android.

E. Ease and assurance of firmware upgrade, quality of firmware
You can concentrate on using the phone, not on flashing ROM just to keep updated and to patch issues.

F: Availability and quality of application
Depends on what your requirements are, the seriousness differ. In my case, I still have about 5 applications that I absolutely must have but are still unavailable on the Android platform. The same applications also tend to be of higher quality on iPHone than on Android. I have a golfing application called GolfCard Pro, for example on both my iPhone and my Samsung Galaxy S. The one on SGS is laggy, does not support sharing of golf score with my buddies using HTML mail (since HTML mail is unsupported in Android, according to the software vendor).

G. Multitasking the way I want it.
With Android, I often find applications re-starting on their own, after I have killed them. It is more difficult to manage compared to iPhone's.

H. The little things
I just much prefer all the subtle little things in iPhone's UI, such as the feedback sound, the shape of the icon, the manner speed/style of scrolling. I dislike Android's back button which is suppose to bring you back to the previous function (although many applications also duplicate that process but a button on the screen, like the iPhone's way), while other times, it kicks the user out of the application all together causing frustration. You can't customise the phone to disable the accidental kicking out of the application, unfortunately.

A. Seriously, how is this rumor still being spread around? I've owned several Android phones and have literally never run into malware. It's not a "hugh problem" as you put it.

B. If you're rooted on a custom ROM, you can generally take features from other ROMs (camera, widgets, etc). As for customizing music playback, I'm sure that can be done in Android, there's tons of customizable music apps but I've never wanted that feature so I never perused the settings or looked for an app that can do that.

C. Android does the exact same thing except with Google's version. Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Gmail, Picasa etc. Both OS's are nearly the same in this area. iPhone can only sync with Safari. Android doesn't sync with Chrome but Chrome to Phone is really all I have ever needed.

D. Not sure where you heard that. On my Nexus S, copying and pasting has been the same everywhere.

E. Nexus S. Also I'm pretty sure Google requires manufacturers to support devices for 18 months after release now.

F. This is all a matter of opinion. Also https://market.android.com/details?id=com.senygma.golfcard&feature=search_result

G. Don't manage it. Don't even pay attention to the running app list and you have nothing to worry about. Android does a much better job of managing memory than the user.

H. UI is a matter of opinion. Personally, I feel that stock Gingerbread on the Nexus S holds its own against iOS. Unfortunately, some developers make some very crappy icons for their apps. The back button feature is not accidental. It should only "exit" the app if you're on the first page of an app. If it doesn't, then it's the developers fault and not Android's. There's some seriously crappy apps on iOS and the same goes for Android.

For the record, I use an iPhone 4, Nexus S, and Motorola Atrix. I love my iPhone but I also love my Android devices too. Also, I'm not claiming that Android is better than iOS, I'm just clearing up some unfair criticism of it.

MacinDoc
Sep 26, 2011, 12:40 AM
What can an iPhone do that an Android can't? Well, I guess we'll just have to wait until Oct. 4 to find out...

vitzr
Sep 26, 2011, 12:41 AM
Use a huge proprietary 30 pin connector and a tiny 3.5" display :)

myPod
Sep 26, 2011, 12:45 AM

Android - is also synonymous to chaos, systemic control.
Idiom - Rough around the edges.

Google is good and bad.
Good for searches in information.
Bad for data collection, steamrolling, monopolizing and seeding Android OS.
Their slogan: Don't be evil (is starting to be questionable)

joegleur
Sep 26, 2011, 12:48 AM
Don't ever compare phones by Apps. That is not even a factor anymore. Almost anything I've ever wanted is in the market.

if you only use apps like angry birds and what not then sure, it's not a factor. but if you want near professional quality apps (ie audio, video, image, documents), it is an un-reputable fact that iOS is by far the leading mobile platform in app quality..

ps: seen infinity blade?

Vegastouch
Sep 26, 2011, 12:58 AM

LOL, the question was, ...name things that iPhone CAN do that Android does not. None of those are something Android cant do except they dont use crappy iTunes and thank goodness for that. And iMessage is new while Android has been doing it for years...just not called iMessage.

And on Android Facetime can also be used with data and not just wifi. Of course not all models of Android can do facetime but all the newest ones within the last year can.

boss.king
Sep 26, 2011, 12:58 AM
if you only use apps like angry birds and what not then sure, it's not a factor. but if you want near professional quality apps (ie audio, video, image, documents), it is an un-reputable fact that iOS is by far the leading mobile platform in app quality..

What are you meaning here? Can you give some examples?

Prodo123
Sep 26, 2011, 01:00 AM

djay, Pages (on iPad at least), and any app over $20 in the medical section, to say the least.

joegleur
Sep 26, 2011, 01:09 AM

we'll talk only phone apps so it excludes iPad (tablet apps comparison will hardly be humane);

low latency audio processing/recording apps, MIDI in/out integration : beatmaker 2, fourtrack, nanostudio, nlog synth, xewton music studio, propellerhead rebirth etc (this is a personal interest of mine so i could go on and on and on :p)

video editing and processing: iMovie, reeldirector, reelmoments, video edit, video pix etc

image editing and processing: camera+, photobag, filterstorm, camerabag, photoforge, photogene, etc

documentation (android has some pretty good ones but none as robust as these): pages, numbers, quickoffice, etc

:)

Eddie Bombay
Sep 26, 2011, 01:12 AM
Resale value, I swear I sell phones on craigslist all the time and when I put an iPhone on the market I get a million and a half people calling for it. When I sell out of IPhones I offer them an Android phone with way better hardware and tell them it can do everything an iPhone can but I'm better of talking to a wall. They are like zombies "is it an iPhone is it an iPhone".

Once again, resale value. Whatever apples marketing team did they sure as hell need to keep it up.

I'm a man about options and love to play with my phone and modify it with custom roms so I'm going to stick with Android.

The iPhone 4 looks sexy as hell though with that glass back and silver ring.

The app market too, developers are likely to release apps for the iPhone before Android.

So the big three, looks, resale value & app market.

Still can't give up the Swype keyboard, 4.5" screen for anything though don't care how stable ios is.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse 4g using Tapatalk.

tim4hire
Sep 26, 2011, 01:40 AM
What can an Iphone do that an Andriod can't?
The Iphone can get Thousands more people and Hundreds of tech blogs discussing it, And it's future.
Not sure if this is too far off topic also, Doesn't Iphone generate more money in general?

boss.king
Sep 26, 2011, 01:43 AM
What can an Iphone do that an Andriod can't?
The Iphone can get Thousands more people and Hundreds of tech blogs discussing it, And it's future.
Not sure if this is too far off topic also, Doesn't Iphone generate more money in general?

Not really a consumer feature...

Rodimus Prime
Sep 26, 2011, 01:49 AM
One thing I really missed about my iPhone when I was using an Atrix was the keyboard. Not really the keyboard itself, but the layout. I hate how on Android, when you're in messages in landscape mode..the keyboard and text area takes up the entire screen. You have to close the keyboard to look at the conversation...was very annoying and didn't find any 3rd party keyboards that solved my issue...

That is not an issue with the keyboard at all. That is more of an issue with the fact that the iPhone's screen is a 16:10 compared to the Axtrix 16:9 design. While that does not seem like much it really is where the difference is.

For me not a really issue because when txting I tend to be in portrait mode. I also use Swift key which has a very nice short cut for closing the keyboard so a non issue.

LOL, the question was, ...name things that iPhone CAN do that Android does not. None of those are something Android cant do except they dont use crappy iTunes and thank goodness for that. And iMessage is new while Android has been doing it for years...just not called iMessage.

And on Android Facetime can also be used with data and not just wifi. Of course not all models of Android can do facetime but all the newest ones within the last year can.

Well Android can kind of use iTunes. It uses it in the sense that you can use software like Double twist to handle the syncing. I have grown to really like Double twist and I have it handle all the syncing with my phone. It links back to iTunes library set up.

tim4hire
Sep 26, 2011, 01:50 AM
Not really a consumer feature...

Yea, that woulda been better to Preface my post with that. ;)

katana92
Sep 26, 2011, 02:21 AM
if you dont have an iPhone....

well ...you dont have an iPhone

also iPhones hold their value. you keep it for few years and sell it on you will still get good chunk back of your money.

android phones....after 1 year no body wants to buy , old HTC or Samsung.

i bought my 3GS 1.5 years ago second hand for 265 and juts sold it last week for 200. how cool is that nearly after 1.5 years i got 200 back for my phone

boss.king
Sep 26, 2011, 02:40 AM
if you dont have an iPhone....

well ...you dont have an iPhone

also iPhones hold their value. you keep it for few years and sell it on you will still get good chunk back of your money.

android phones....after 1 year no body wants to buy , old HTC or Samsung.

i bought my 3GS 1.5 years ago second hand for 265 and juts sold it last week for 200. how cool is that nearly after 1.5 years i got 200 back for my phone

That depends on what country you are in. Here in NZ Android phones actually seem to hold their value pretty well, about as well as iPhones.

aztooh
Sep 26, 2011, 02:51 AM
That is not an issue with the keyboard at all. That is more of an issue with the fact that the iPhone's screen is a 16:10 compared to the Axtrix 16:9 design. While that does not seem like much it really is where the difference is.

For me not a really issue because when txting I tend to be in portrait mode. I also use Swift key which has a very nice short cut for closing the keyboard so a non issue.

Well, it's been like that on every Android I've used... Most recently, the Epic 4g Touch (GS2). Not sure if it's 16:9, probably is, but at 4.5", there's plenty of real estate to show the conversation...but again, the keyboard/text input takes up the whole screen. Has to be just how it's written on Android, no?

TM WAZZA
Sep 26, 2011, 02:59 AM
That depends on what country you are in. Here in NZ Android phones actually seem to hold their value pretty well, about as well as iPhones.

Just a quick search on Trade Me comparing Samsung Galaxy S1 and iPhone 3GS. No one seems to show interest in the SGS.

----------

Well, it's been like that on every Android I've used... Most recently, the Epic 4g Touch (GS2). Not sure if it's 16:9, probably is, but at 4.5", there's plenty of real estate to show the conversation...but again, the keyboard/text input takes up the whole screen. Has to be just how it's written on Android, no?

I know exactly what you are talking about the keyboard thing.

boss.king
Sep 26, 2011, 03:04 AM
Just a quick search on Trade Me comparing Samsung Galaxy S1 and iPhone 3GS. No one seems to show interest in the SGS.

I didn't say they were as demanded, just that they keep their value :D. Also, the Galaxy S was cheaper than the iPhone to begin with wasn't it?

iCole
Sep 26, 2011, 04:39 AM
Instant notifications. On my 3G, I used to get instant notifications about facebook posts and stuff. On my Galaxy S, I usually get them after a while, depending on how long I've set it to fetch my data. Also the Facebook app on iPhone is/was better. I also found mail and the browser to be working better on the iPhone. That said, if you are just be a bit more patient, most of the things on android work as well as on the iPhone. Less fluid, but they do the job and mostly it gives you more options. I'm thinking of going back to an iPhone but i'm afraid i'm going to miss some features i've gotten used to. Also, 700 EUR for a user experience that is a bit better, is maybe a bit much :-) But its getting more interesting with iOS5

----------

I didn't say they were as demanded, just that they keep their value :D. Also, the Galaxy S was cheaper than the iPhone to begin with wasn't it?

I tried to sell mine after a month. Nobody gave a **** :(

TM WAZZA
Sep 26, 2011, 04:48 AM
When no one wants it, that essentially means it's not valuable doesn't it? :D The SGS was the high end smart phone that competed with the 3GS, IIRC, the SGS cost $1000+ too.

Also the S2, which is 4 months old from when it was released is now selling for 700-750. (I sold mine for 700, although I could've probably got 50 more but I wanted a quick sale). The iPhone 4 which is 16 months old still sells for 800+ for 32GB I think. My mate sold his for 850 last week.

boss.king
Sep 26, 2011, 04:51 AM
When no one wants it, that essentially means it's not valuable doesn't it? :D The SGS was the high end smart phone that competed with the 3GS, IIRC, the SGS cost $1000+ too.

Also the S2, which is 4 months old from when it was released is now selling for 700-750. (I sold mine for 700, although I could've probably got 50 more but I wanted a quick sale). The iPhone 4 which is 16 months old still sells for 800+ for 32GB I think. My mate sold his for 850 last week.

Well I guess I was wrong then :o

TM WAZZA
Sep 26, 2011, 04:55 AM
Well I guess I was wrong then :o

All good man :cool: haven't seen someone else from nz here yet :)

I see on your signature you have a 3GS, what's your plan? iPhone 5 or Android?

boss.king
Sep 26, 2011, 04:59 AM
All good man :cool: haven't seen someone else from nz here yet :)

I see on your signature you have a 3GS, what's your plan? iPhone 5 or Android?

Not Android. Either iPhone 5 or HTC Titan (assuming I have money to spare for a new phone, I'm a uni student, so probably neither). How about you?

TM WAZZA
Sep 26, 2011, 05:03 AM
Not Android. Either iPhone 5 or HTC Titan (assuming I have money to spare for a new phone, I'm a uni student, so probably neither). How about you?

True. I'm definitely going for the next iPhone, whether it's a spec bump or a redesign, as it'll be my first iPhone. Good talking to you man, I'm off to sleep. :)

MonkeySee....
Sep 26, 2011, 05:30 AM
FaceTime.

Hopefully they will integrate facetime in their new TV set <cough>

sulpfiction
Sep 26, 2011, 06:33 AM
You might want to look up the definition of "fact", and then maybe compare it to "opinion".

Although I havent done any scientific research, I can say that yes, it's a fact that the iPhone has a much better touch panel then just about every android phone on the market. I've tried the latest and greatest android devices and their big beautiful screens still lag, stutter, and aren't as responsive to touch. So yes, I'd say it's a fact that iPhones panel is better...much better.

iCole
Sep 26, 2011, 07:23 AM
I think this has more to do with software. But yeah, iPhone (even the 3G) scrolls much more natural and more fluid then any Android I've seen. But not by much.

Krandor
Sep 26, 2011, 07:33 AM
For me, it is the media management that keeps me in the Apple ecosystem.

These types of features

Smart Playlists - Google/Android has nothing at present that will do these and I make HEAVY use of these.
Airplay - Love being able to start watching/listening to something on th go, get home, and then finish watching/playing on my ATV
Apple Remote - Again, being able to them control the content on the ATV/iTiunes from my iPad/iPhone is very useful.
iCloud - coming soon, but the ability to keep apps and data synced automatically between an iPHone and iPad is huge. It makes them not two separate devices but an extenstion of each other.

Also, backups - there is no easy way in Android to backup your phone, get your new phone, restore and be right back where you were on the old phone.

With the combination of all these you really are getting close to the holy grail of access to any media content, anywhere, anytime. Not 100% but getting close.

There is really nothing like the above in stock android. There are some 3rd party apps that attempt to do some of them, but in the end just about all still tie back into iTunes. Even the new google music service has no support for smart playlists at present.

macingman
Sep 26, 2011, 07:59 AM
A. Seriously, how is this rumor still being spread around? I've owned several Android phones and have literally never run into malware. It's not a "hugh problem" as you put it.

How do you know for sure it's not like there's an Android anti-virus which scans files you download.

Typswif2fingers
Sep 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
It is really interesting than none of the reasons why iPhone is preferable to an Android phone really matter to me...

I use iGoogle for all my mail/calendar etc. needs, don't use many apps, and need large screen mobile phone...

But... it is interesting to see what the difference is based on what the people say.

I think that I am 99% sure that I will be getting a Samsung... but given that Apple makes one phone per annum, and this one has been waited for so long, I think that I will wait to see what will come out...

Interesting days...

iCole
Sep 26, 2011, 08:15 AM
I'm looking forward to that iCloud implementation. Taking a picture on iPhone, coming home, and finding it in your iPhoto. Great stuff!

Tarzanman
Sep 26, 2011, 08:31 AM
What can an iPhone do that an Android phone cannot?

iPhone's only remaining advantage is:
1. Battery life (which is very nice)

Android phones have made inroads in every other category where they meet or exceed the capability of the iphone.

I am not sure why people on this forum still have this debate? The Android operating system has had more features than iOS for at least a year.

krymzon40
Sep 26, 2011, 09:10 AM
I have a Nexus S 4G and I'm going to sell it as soon as the next iPhone comes out.

From my experience with iOS on my iPad, it's a much smoother, much more stable experience.

You don't have to think about your phone or worry about things crashing or apps being unstable.

Another thing - The iPhone 4 is still an amazing phone over a year after it was released. It's still extremely fast and the apps still exceed what is offered on many Android phones today. If you get the next iPhone, it will still be great even a year from now. (The Galaxy S II was just released in the US and Samsung just announced the Galaxy S II LTE and Galaxy S II HD LTE - What the hell??)

Rodimus Prime
Sep 26, 2011, 10:12 AM

Increasing the screen size does nothing to solve the problem if everything is enlarge at the same rate.
That being said. I just went and looked at it on my phone and it looks like the sms programs are written that way as well where the input windows and the keyboard take over the screen. Honestly I would rather see what I am typing than read the convo. You could try some 3rd party sms Apps and see if they are any different.

RotaryP7
Sep 26, 2011, 10:50 AM
Amazing battery life for a smartphone. My iPhone 4, had it at 100% in the morning, went to work, watched some videos, mostly texted, some calls and at night when I went to charge it again.. 71%.

Honestly, no android phone can beat that.

I also think the display still competes with every android phone. I sell phones all the time and looking at every new phones' display. Nothing comes close to the iPhone 4.

The Galaxy SII is right there though. Bright colorful screen. Still would choose the 4 over it. Watching Netflix on the 4 is great. ;)

And iOS is much more stable than android's.

Rodimus Prime
Sep 26, 2011, 11:05 AM
For me, it is the media management that keeps me in the Apple ecosystem.

These types of features

Smart Playlists - Google/Android has nothing at present that will do these and I make HEAVY use of these.
Airplay - Love being able to start watching/listening to something on th go, get home, and then finish watching/playing on my ATV
Apple Remote - Again, being able to them control the content on the ATV/iTiunes from my iPad/iPhone is very useful.
iCloud - coming soon, but the ability to keep apps and data synced automatically between an iPHone and iPad is huge. It makes them not two separate devices but an extenstion of each other.

Also, backups - there is no easy way in Android to backup your phone, get your new phone, restore and be right back where you were on the old phone.

With the combination of all these you really are getting close to the holy grail of access to any media content, anywhere, anytime. Not 100% but getting close.

There is really nothing like the above in stock android. There are some 3rd party apps that attempt to do some of them, but in the end just about all still tie back into iTunes. Even the new google music service has no support for smart playlists at present.

Just going to point out that you are pretty wrong on a lot of that.
Double Twist can handle the syncing of smart play list. It updates off of your iTunes playlist.

Air play again go check out double twist. Also DLNA devices play just fine off of the Android phone. Sadly Apple choose not to take part there but you yet again Double twist Airplay can play to your Apple TV.

Yes there are remotes in the Android Market Place.

As for the syncing of stuff like iCloud. I have not seen anything that really tells me iCloud is going to be from services already out there.

As for backups I have not explored that past Titanium Back up but then again I am rooted so I tended to jump on that one.

theperipheral
Sep 26, 2011, 11:14 AM

Every Android phone I have ever been handed can't even get scrolling right. When I see an Android phone scroll as smooth and fluid as an iPhone, then we'll talk.

I've been a die-hard iPhone user since the original. I've gotten into TONS of arguments about how the iPhone bones all others. I've tested many different Android phones and felt the same thing you mentioned about how they aren't as fluid.

I played with the Samsung Galaxy S2 yesterday, and I have to admit, it's just as fluid as the iPhone.

As far as the original question, both OSs are capable of doing the same things, really. Every big app that I have on my iPhone seems to be available on Android phones now, too. Fluidity in the motion of things happening on the phone is finally on par with the iPhone (at least with the Galaxy S2 it is), every phone I've played with functions VERY SIMILARLY, seeing that every phone that exists these days bases their functionality on the iPhone's.

The iPhone has a better UI (to me) and it works perfectly with Macs.

Android phones have widgets (a HUGE plus to me), and have a very large variety of shapes and sizes of phones, screens, etc...obviously way more options as far as the physical phone goes.

Those are the big things that I've noticed. If Apple doesn't release a new iPhone 5 with a bigger screen, I'll probably end up switching to the S2 for a while.

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2011, 11:21 AM
The one thing still missing from the iPhone is a native voice navigation app as reliable as Google Navigation. Why doesn't Nagivation also work with iPhone? :T If IPhone uses Google Maps, why not also Nav?

lilo777
Sep 26, 2011, 11:28 AM

You call it truth? Somehow you overlooked the fact that most software for iPhone is not written by Apple and Apple has absolutely no control over its quality.

Also, total number of apps for Android phones was expected to surpass the number of apps for iPhone in August. I have not seen the actual stats lately but one hing is clear - the numbers are almost equal. One can get confused by the total number of apps for iOS which counts the apps for both iPhone and iPad. In the context of this discussion, obviously iPad-specific apps are irrelevant.

sarcosis
Sep 26, 2011, 11:41 AM
The one thing still missing from the iPhone is a native voice navigation app as reliable as Google Navigation. Why doesn't Nagivation also work with iPhone? :T If IPhone uses Google Maps, why not also Nav?

I got to use Google Navigation this weekend with my Atrix for the first time and it's really nice. I know it's holding out to Android specific, but I'm hoping that Apple will find something comparable. I'd rather not have to buy another navigation app if I don't have to. And Google Navigation Works well.

On the thread as a whole, iOS just works better than Android. Android is a bit clunky and iOS is just all nice and uniform. Once I can upgrade, I'm looking to go back to the iPhone since, for me, it just works better.

naths
Sep 26, 2011, 12:57 PM
simple answer....absoloutly nothing now....the last major problem was battery life...my SGS2 lasts all day no problem,longer than my iphone4 ever did,plus now if my SGS2 ever does go flat,iv got a fully charged spare battery in my wallet that i can just put in...iphone4=wall socket:(

macinnv
Sep 26, 2011, 01:06 PM
About battery life.. Apple does beat Android out the door on battery life. I dont believe a single Android phone beats the iPhone 4, I could be wrong though. Some phones come close - if it has a smaller screen and running stock Android then you should come close. An example being the T-Mobile G2's battery life.

However, I've purchased a more powerful battery on every Android phone I have ever owned. (And no Im not talking about the bulky extended batteries.) Usually from eBay, I pay about $10-20 and it can get me about a day and a half on moderate to heavy use.

aztooh
Sep 26, 2011, 01:07 PM
Increasing the screen size does nothing to solve the problem if everything is enlarge at the same rate.
That being said. I just went and looked at it on my phone and it looks like the sms programs are written that way as well where the input windows and the keyboard take over the screen. Honestly I would rather see what I am typing than read the convo. You could try some 3rd party sms Apps and see if they are any different.

Well, it's usually not that big of a deal with SMS', but still useful to see the convo at times. But it's also the same in email IIRC? And when replying to an email longer than a couple of sentences, I'm usually referring back to the message and it was a PITA with Android. I don't think any of the 3rd party keyboards solve this issue for me.

If it had an easier way of hiding the keyboard, I wouldn't mind so much. i.e. on my BB Storm, a simple swipe down hid the keyboard, and swipe up from the bottom brought it back up. (Probably the only good thing about the device lol)

Just a small complaint, I know...but with SMS and email the things I do most on the phone, it's an annoyance.

Nicolas4ever
Sep 26, 2011, 01:16 PM
Quality Apps
software support
the OS it's written only for this device and is smoother
easy to use
it's an iPhone
and it's made from Apple!

and way more things...

naths
Sep 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
Quality Apps
software support
easy to use
it's an iPhone

and way more things...

oh dear!!....saddo

OMGbrandon
Sep 26, 2011, 01:19 PM
Not feel like a piece of cheap plastic.

DeusInvictus7
Sep 26, 2011, 01:20 PM
simple answer....absoloutly nothing now....the last major problem was battery life...my SGS2 lasts all day no problem,longer than my iphone4 ever did,plus now if my SGS2 ever does go flat,iv got a fully charged spare battery in my wallet that i can just put in...iphone4=wall socket:(

My SGS2 drains battery way more than my iPhone 4 did. Since school started I've barely used my phone for more than checking a couple things on the Pulse, and a few text messages, and I can barely get through a full day, (unplug at 8:30AM when I wake up, and plug back in at around midnight). I usually end up getting that low battery warning at 15% when I'm on my way home from work or something.

My iPhone doing the same stuff would be at 40% usually by the end of my day.

jvmxtra
Sep 26, 2011, 01:21 PM
JUst want to reiterate my point -- or making a new one.

It's entirely possible that you pick a specific droid phone and your experience can be as equally pleasant or joyable (or from some's perspective, exceed) as iphone. This is possible because of some phone's enormous spec and some hardware actually being really well made(probably, you want to fill in the blanks here but I would put galaxy s2).
From there arguments can be made on the apps. Availablity and the fludity of them coexisting w/ your needs and operate to your best of needs.

UNfortunately, however, when talking about droid phones in general vs iphone, you can't make the same comparision.
User experience fluctuate so badly from device to device that it's almost stupid for someone to compare. Scope of the problem is too huge and too complicated for us to draw any useful conclusion.

I have used droid x and droid 1. I have also tested out galaxy s2.
I think you know what I think of them. Overall, this is an invalid argument.

Do not ask what iphone can do that droid phones cannot.
Go try the **** out. If you like it, buy it. It will be obsolete in 6 month anyway and you gonna want the next great phone.

Rodimus Prime
Sep 26, 2011, 01:22 PM
Well, it's usually not that big of a deal with SMS', but still useful to see the convo at times. But it's also the same in email IIRC? And when replying to an email longer than a couple of sentences, I'm usually referring back to the message and it was a PITA with Android. I don't think any of the 3rd party keyboards solve this issue for me.

If it had an easier way of hiding the keyboard, I wouldn't mind so much. i.e. on my BB Storm, a simple swipe down hid the keyboard, and swipe up from the bottom brought it back up. (Probably the only good thing about the device lol)

Just a small complaint, I know...but with SMS and email the things I do most on the phone, it's an annoyance.

SwiftKey keyboard has the swype down short cut that you want and to bring it back up it is a tap in text area.

zeetee96
Sep 26, 2011, 01:27 PM
Well, I guess the simple fact of the matter is that, while an Android Phone can do almost everything an iPhone can, maybe more... That iOS is just a much faster and slicker operating system, meaning everything it does that is comparable is just better than Android... Obviously this is to do with the fact that Apple can tailor their software to their devices, but essentially, that's all there is too it...

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 26, 2011, 01:53 PM
The ease of setting things up and the fact that it remains stable & worry free is a huge factor.

All I've seen in this thread is Android users replying to what the iPhone does with their own bootlegged version of how to do it on an Android. I'm pretty sure most iPhone users don't want to deal with all of the complications. Sure Android can sync, airplay, videochat, and etc: with the right apps and tweaks. But to have it done as smoothly, reliable, and near flawless as the iPhone is just not where Android is at right now.

Being that said, I do like some of the things better on Android. Like the Google integration, especially with Google Voice compared to on the iPhone.

But overall it comes down to what's been said since day one, iPhone is just a better experience.

d0vr
Sep 26, 2011, 02:06 PM
iPhone's only remaining advantage is:
1. Battery life (which is very nice)

Is the iphone battery genuinely better than most androids? Because I complain about my iphones battery as it is. :eek:

ECUpirate44
Sep 26, 2011, 02:15 PM
When Androids can scroll without choppiness, let me know. Until then, it's jailbroken iPhone 4 FTW!

kdarling
Sep 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
SwiftKey keyboard has the swype down short cut that you want and to bring it back up it is a tap in text area.

HTC keyboards have a little icon on the left to drop the keyboard down. Some phones also drop it if you tap the Menu key.

But overall it comes down to what's been said since day one, iPhone is just a better experience.

For you, sure. Other people can have different needs, wants... and histories.

It's a well known phenomenon that user preference often comes down to the type of UI a person learned on first.

For instance, people who started with a dedicated Back button often miss it when it's not available.

vikingjunior
Sep 26, 2011, 02:20 PM
The ease of setting things up and the fact that it remains stable & worry free is a huge factor.

All I've seen in this thread is Android users replying to what the iPhone does with their own bootlegged version of how to do it on an Android. I'm pretty sure most iPhone users don't want to deal with all of the complications. Sure Android can sync, airplay, videochat, and etc: with the right apps and tweaks. But to have it done as smoothly, reliable, and near flawless as the iPhone is just not where Android is at right now.

Being that said, I do like some of the things better on Android. Like the Google integration, especially with Google Voice compared to on the iPhone.

I wonder if Google ONLY put it's efforts into ONE or TWO devices how it would be? I would bet it would be 10x better then any iphone.

I applaud Google for all it's efforts and working with all these different manufactures so we can have different sizes and shapes. Variety is the spice of life.

I applaud Google and the manufactures for making low cost Android devices.

In the end Google/Android is going to win this silly little battle because they have the right mindset.

Even Windows is going to surpass Apple in the end because they to have the right mindset.

People must think Android is going to get more unstable but in fact they are getting more and more stable while doing so much more.

Again if Android was a piece of junk this thread wouldn't be 5 pages long and counting, the fact of the matter is Android has come a long way and getting better.

aohus
Sep 26, 2011, 02:21 PM
Is the iphone battery genuinely better than most androids? Because I complain about my iphones battery as it is. :eek:

you can definitely tinker with an android phone to get more battery life than an iPhone 4, but requires rooting/tinkering, so much that the average consumer wouldn't go through the hassle.

yes, out of the box, iPhone4 delivers the best battery life compared to Android phones. This is more of a carrier/handset manufacturer issue than anything else though.

boss.king
Sep 26, 2011, 02:22 PM
Not feel like a piece of cheap plastic.

Yeah, cos all of them are made of plastic right?:rolleyes:

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
For you, sure. Other people can have different needs, wants... and histories.

Of course I know that. I just don't feel the need to put a "In My Opinion" disclaimer on every post I make. :p

It's a well known phenomenon that user preference often comes down to the type of UI a person learned on first.

For instance, people who started with a dedicated Back button often miss it when it's not available.

Actually I disagree. Yea for a short time there might still be a learning curve or preference, but most usually adapt and become accustomed to change. There is a decent percentage of folks who refuse or just never become naturally accustomed to change.

Krandor
Sep 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
Double Twist can handle the syncing of smart play list. It updates off of your iTunes playlist.

Air play again go check out double twist. Also DLNA devices play just fine off of the Android phone. Sadly Apple choose not to take part there but you yet again Double twist Airplay can play to your Apple TV.

Yes there are remotes in the Android Market Place.

You didn't read the last paragraph where I said there were 3rd party products that would tie into the apple ecosystem, but there is nothing from google to compete with it.

If you are still going to sync with itunes from a 3rd party product then you haven't really replaced itunes. Second you are dealing with a 3rd party product and not something that is built into android.

Double twist (again, third party) does have airplay but does not have full airplay support. It does not work with airport express for example. Again, they are just tieing into the Apple ecosystem instead of building something to compete.

There are remotes, but do they function like the apple remote for controlling itunes/ATV type products? I doubt it. The apple remote is more then just a replacement for a remote that comes with the apple TV. In fact, it is far superior to the crappy remote that comes with ATV.

erialvzz805
Sep 26, 2011, 02:30 PM
Google (the maker of Android) PAYS Apple to be the default search engine on iPhone. I can guarantee that before Google Music, Google would have paid apple to have iTunes on Droids. That simple. Apple doesn't need any of its technology on Droids, yet Google pays to be on iOS.

Fireblade
Sep 26, 2011, 02:36 PM
Quality Apps
software support
easy to use
it's an iPhone

and way more things...

Chrchrchrchr ... thank you for this, you made my day!!!

Please do me a favor:

May i use this post as my sig in other forums???

I am serious, this is no joke!!

xdbuix
Sep 26, 2011, 02:41 PM
An iPhone causes alot more news than an android phone for sure.

TM WAZZA
Sep 26, 2011, 02:47 PM
Apple doesn't need any of its technology on Droids,

Stop right there, isn't that where Samsung got caught on by the courts for violating Apple's gesture patent? :p

theperipheral
Sep 26, 2011, 02:51 PM
Why do people every complain about batteries not lasting more than a day? It's so stupid. When you go to sleep at night, just plug the effing phone in and it'll be charged when you wake up the next day. As long as the phone battery can last 14 or 15 hour span, it should be fine and it shouldn't matter if the battery is at 10% or 50% at the end of that span, because you're going to be asleep, not using the phone anyway.

Tarzanman
Sep 26, 2011, 02:54 PM

If you are in an area with a strong signal, then your iPhone 4 can last 2 days with moderate use, 3+ at idle.

Very few smartphones with large touchscreens are capable of that kind of battery life. It is a benefit of the iPhone4's dim(mer than others) IPS display, lack of multi-tasking, and lack of flash.

Most android phones need to be on the charger after a day of moderate use. I usually carry a spare battery in my pocket with my phone if I know that I will be out all day moving around too much to use a charger.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 26, 2011, 02:58 PM
I wonder if Google ONLY put it's efforts into ONE or TWO devices how it would be? I would bet it would be 10x better then any iphone.

No, it would just be the another Nexus. ;)

I applaud Google for all it's efforts and working with all these different manufactures so we can have different sizes and shapes. Variety is the spice of life.

I applaud Google and the manufactures for making low cost Android devices.

In the end Google/Android is going to win this silly little battle because they have the right mindset.

Even Windows is going to surpass Apple in the end because they to have the right mindset.

Win what battle? There is not really a battle to win.

You talk as is Google is some robin hood company that takes care of the average Joe, when fact is Google is just out to permanently become a part of everyone's DNA.

You thank Google a lot. Have you thanked Google for the crappy phones too, instead of just the good ones? You think Google cares about all the crappy devices being shoved on to unsuspected consumers in their name. Absolutely not, as long as the phone's personal contents are stored on their database.

I personally think Windows phone will surpass Android if MS stays committed to it.

People must think Android is going to get more unstable but in fact they are getting more and more stable while doing so much more.

To many variables between devices to make this statement true or false. My be true on one new device and false on another new device. For many that gets old quick. Even MS is trying to keep things tight with W7.

FmaxTurboSi
Sep 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
is there anything?

im torn on my next phone

create crazy lines in order to purchase one, and months and months of rumors speculating about the next gen.:D

Krandor
Sep 26, 2011, 03:08 PM
N
You talk as is Google is some robin hood company that takes care of the average Joe, when fact is Google is just out to permanently become a part of everyone's DNA.

That is the part that worries me the most. People talk about not being able to escape the apple ecosystem, but in reality it is the google ecosystem that is impossible to escape. Who doesn't use at least one or two google apps? You have google dominating search, bug player in the mail market, also in the voice market, contacts, calendar, the phone market, getting into social networking, pretty much own online maps, and also want to move into the TV market heavily. Google makes some nice stuff, but I do wonder at times how much of my information do I want handled by a single company - especially a company whose primary source of revenue is advertising. People get bent out of shape over the location information that might have been sent to Cupertino (but wasn't), but happily give all their info to Google.

Grahamwho
Sep 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

My best friend works at Verizon something he told me the other day was that out of all the android phones they have right now none of them will output Netflix over hdmi, if the android phone happens to have an hdmi port, it will black out the screen if u hook it up to a tv. The iPhone can push out Netflix and etc over airplay or hdmi, composite, component, or VGA w/ an adapter.

lilo777
Sep 26, 2011, 03:23 PM
So, as we can see from all these posts, here is nothing iPhone can do that Android phones can't. The opposite however is not true. Here is what Android phones can do that iPhone can't:

* NFC (near-field communications)
* [AM]OLED screens
* true HD screens (1280 x 720)
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards
* Pen input ( la Samsung Note)
* variety of screen sizes (so that a person could choose what fits him/her best)
* ability to install applications not approved by Apple (or anybody else to that matter)
* phone unlocking by finger-print reader

Grahamwho
Sep 26, 2011, 03:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Another thing he said which I was pretty shocked about was out of the phones with front facing cameras, at least at vzw, can't use like fring, tango etc, for video calls and utilize the FFC, they can use the back camera but not the front. Which kinda defeats the purpose. Maybe he's wrong I dont know first hand but he's an android fanboy, and said he had personally tried it with every android phone vzw has right now. Crazy stuff. Can anyone confirm this?

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 26, 2011, 03:33 PM
So, as we can see from all these posts, here is nothing iPhone can do that Android phones can't. The opposite however is not true. Here is what Android phones can do that iPhone can't:

* [AM]OLED screens
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards
* variety of screen sizes (so that a person could choose what fits him/her best)
* ability to install applications not approved by Apple (or anybody else to that matter)

And the ONE phone that has that all is? ..............

Pen Input, Finger -print reader, REALLY? That's like comparing small things like the iPhone hard silent toggle.

Tilpots
Sep 26, 2011, 03:34 PM

In the end? Well today, Apple's killing them both. Check their bank roll. Android's partners have made about 75 or so devices compared to Apple's 4. None of those 75 have outsold the current gen Apple product. Android's have come a long way, but we're years away from them producing a single phone that can top the latest iPhone. Even that estimate might be too generous.

The consumer has and continues to choose their favorite device. Apple wins year in and year out.

lilo777
Sep 26, 2011, 03:43 PM
And the ONE phone that has that all is? ..............

Pen Input, Finger -print reader, REALLY? That's like comparing small things like the iPhone hard silent toggle.

No single phone has it all but people can choose the phones that do have the features they prefer most. Also, many Android phones have everything iPhone does and then a few extras from the aforementioned list.

Grahamwho
Sep 26, 2011, 03:55 PM

Is there an android phone that can video out to VGA hdmi composite and component? Just curious.

naths
Sep 26, 2011, 03:59 PM

* [AM]OLED screens
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards

well said,and thats only the current versions,quad-core soon,and samsungs newest screen,supposed to be a lot better than samoled...
and the nexus prime with is googles flagship,and as with all nexus phones 100% google backed....just seems a bit odd why apple are releasing a phone with specs(rumoured,may be better) that only match current android phones,yet in a couple of months the new android devices are going to be a lot lot better than the current,along with the release of the latest version of android,ICS.

vikingjunior
Sep 26, 2011, 04:04 PM
In the end? Well today, Apple's killing them both. Check their bank roll. Android's partners have made about 75 or so devices compared to Apple's 4. None of those 75 have outsold the current gen Apple product. Android's have come a long way, but we're years away from them producing a single phone that can top the latest iPhone. Even that estimate might be too generous.

The consumer has and continues to choose their favorite device. Apple wins year in and year out.

Give it one more year pal and see where were at then. Apple had a good run but as always there close minded mentality will be the crux of them.

Grahamwho
Sep 26, 2011, 04:18 PM

Ram and processor specs are good to compare between android phones, but mean less when comparing iOS and android. The iP4 has a single core a8 probably runnin somewhere around 850mhz and still runs smother than a lot of the faster clocked or dual core android phones. Not saying they don't matter at all just sayin.

TM WAZZA
Sep 26, 2011, 04:28 PM

Ram and processor specs are good to compare between android phones, but mean less when comparing iOS and android. The iP4 has a single core a8 probably runnin somewhere around 850mhz and still runs smother than a lot of the faster clocked or dual core android phones. Not saying they don't matter at all just sayin.

Agreed. Specs doesn't matter if the OS isn't optimized for it. Android phones need to be clocked high just to run Android OS smoothly... :rolleyes:

PJLPR
Sep 26, 2011, 04:39 PM
Android can do everything that iOS does, plus some. When you talk strictly about the operating system, it has much greater flexibility for the end user. iOS does have much less of a learning curve, and I haven't had to restart my iPhone once in the 5 months I've owned it. An app has never crashed my phone once. There are many things to be said for android though. The browsing experience is more "desktop-like" because of flash support, and notifications are done with far less intrusiveness. iOS will fix answer much of that, aside from flash, but I don't know how I feel about Apple straight copying androids notification interface while suing makers of android products such as Samsung for copyright infringement. Apple got into a ton of trouble resting on the laurels of lawsuits in the 90's before the return of Steve Jobs, and I would hate for them to slip back into old habits. That's my piece.

Tilpots
Sep 26, 2011, 05:02 PM
Give it one more year pal and see where were at then. Apple had a good run but as always there close minded mentality will be the crux of them.

That mentality has helped them to be one if the most valuable companies in the world. Just sayin'. Drag this thread up in a year and we'll see how ya did. :)

s15119
Sep 26, 2011, 05:05 PM
Airplay.

albertc
Sep 26, 2011, 06:42 PM
Not have a 1280 x 720 resolution

rjohnstone
Sep 26, 2011, 07:20 PM
Airplay.
Android has DLNA. Works nicely with my Panasonic TV too.
No need for any third party hardware (read Apple TV). ;)

yeah
Sep 26, 2011, 08:44 PM
Android is very bad compared to iOS. Half of my class has iOS devices!
Here is my "two-cents" :confused: What is "two-cents"?
1) Ice Cream Sandwich: What a stupid name. I'd rather have iOS 5.
2) Lag: Even a SGII lags more than the iPhone 4.

uscsailor
Sep 26, 2011, 08:48 PM
More options doesn't make a product any better.

A automobile manufacturer can offer a dozen different horn sounds for a particular car but does it mean that the car itself will perform better?

But they can put different horns on different cars can they not?

vistadude
Sep 26, 2011, 08:51 PM
Half of your class probably ride Huffy bikes. Does that make it better than a mercedez benz?

SGII does not lag more than an iphone 4. Clearly you have never even used a GS2.

uscsailor
Sep 26, 2011, 08:53 PM

Is there an android phone that can video out to VGA hdmi composite and component? Just curious.

HDMI is built into many android phones and all HTC phones do video out through mini usb if the hdmi isn't built in

theperipheral
Sep 26, 2011, 09:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, you clearly haven't used the GS2

vikingjunior
Sep 26, 2011, 09:48 PM
T Mobile 4.5 inch screen SG2 is cough $529.00 cough. Is that iphone 4 still cough $650.00 cough.

joegleur
Sep 26, 2011, 10:29 PM
Half of your class probably ride Huffy bikes. Does that make it better than a mercedez benz?

SGII does not lag more than an iphone 4. Clearly you have never even used a GS2.

android by far is no merc esp in comparing it to the iPhone. build quality-wise, SGII < iPhone. apps quality-wise SGII < iPhone (and c'mon ppl. stop comparing "uh. i've got angry birds on my phone too. my phone does everything iPhone does". compare HIGH END apps please).

boss.king
Sep 26, 2011, 10:54 PM
android by far is no merc esp in comparing it to the iPhone. build quality-wise, SGII < iPhone. apps quality-wise SGII < iPhone (and c'mon ppl. stop comparing "uh. i've got angry birds on my phone too. my phone does everything iPhone does". compare HIGH END apps please).

You missed the point he was making about the bikes. Just because people buy it doesn't make it good.

As for the apps thing, most people will never use the high end apps. I know I'm never going to edit photos and music on my phone when I have a computer for that, so it's irrelevant to me, as it is to a lot of people. I agree about the build quality, but Apple did make a stupid choice by picking glass for the material.

joegleur
Sep 27, 2011, 01:17 AM
You missed the point he was making about the bikes. Just because people buy it doesn't make it good.

As for the apps thing, most people will never use the high end apps. I know I'm never going to edit photos and music on my phone when I have a computer for that, so it's irrelevant to me, as it is to a lot of people. I agree about the build quality, but Apple did make a stupid choice by picking glass for the material.

arent we suppose to take a post by someone and make a juxtaposed post about something else so we can keep squabbling? that's how forums work isnt it? jk. sorry, i got the poster's drift but that merc thing made me want to talk about build quality.

well, with high end apps, at least it shows the platform has the ability to provide such accessible quality apps for mobile users. with that itself (disclaimer: it's my opinion in this next line), musicians, filmmakers, and designers will already be more inclined to an iPhone because it allows them to do work/hobby-related tasks on the road.

you may find it irrelevant to yourself but apps like camera+ has sold over 3million copies and that to me, is a lot of people. more accessible apps like gaming apps for instance, the iOS has infinity blade and N.O.V.A which has sold many millions more. you'd be hard pressed to find anything of equivalent quality on android.

so apps is indeed a factor when comparing android to iOS that people shouldn't dismiss just because they themselves don't use certain apps.

Rodimus Prime
Sep 27, 2011, 01:24 AM

Glass back I though was stupid as well. The other part I though was dumb and a poor move by apple was having the end of the glass expose. That greatly increases the chances of it cracking from being dropped.

I am also with you when people start arguing the high end apps they clearly to me are grasphing at straws since hardly anyone ever really uses those at all. THey may have a high download but never really are used.

Also Android does have some of the high end ones on there if you go looking and in some ways they offer a lot of apps that no way in hell would ever make it into the App store.

Go check out the tegra 2 games for android. You have a lot of high end games in that department.

boss.king
Sep 27, 2011, 01:28 AM
arent we suppose to take a post by someone and make a juxtaposed post about something else so we can keep squabbling? that's how forums work isnt it? jk. sorry, i got the poster's drift but that merc thing made me want to talk about build quality.

well, with high end apps, at least it shows the platform has the ability to provide such accessible quality apps for mobile users. with that itself (disclaimer: it's my opinion in this next line), musicians, filmmakers, and designers will already be more inclined to an iPhone because it allows them to do work/hobby-related tasks on the road.

you may find it irrelevant to yourself but apps like camera+ has sold over 3million copies and that to me, is a lot of people. more accessible apps like gaming apps for instance, the iOS has infinity blade and N.O.V.A which has sold many millions more. you'd be hard pressed to find anything of equivalent quality on android.

so apps is indeed a factor when comparing android to iOS that people shouldn't dismiss just because they themselves don't use certain apps.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that apps aren't important, I just meant that for the most part games like Angry Birds are the extent to what people need/use. That said, there are those who use the apps you mentioned, and there is merit in comparing them, I just feel that it's not as important a factor as other aspects of comparison between the two.

Grahamwho
Sep 27, 2011, 04:08 AM
HDMI is built into many android phones and all HTC phones do video out through mini usb if the hdmi isn't built in

So is that a no then? I know alot of android phones have hdmi outs or mini and micro USB video outs. My question was is there an android phone that can do video out through VGA, & component,& composite, and hdmi, like the iPhone 4/ipads can. That was my question. Also, do most of the video apps blackout when hdmi is plugged in like Netflix does on android? Again just wondering?

patent10021
Sep 27, 2011, 05:50 AM
what can an iphone do that a android phone can'tBecome coveted to the point that mothers in Asia want to smuggle them into the country and people want to steal it from bars around the world. I don't hear anyone wanting to do that with a Droid.

Most Droid users get a Droid without thinking about not having access to the App Store. Big mistake. Nothing compares and nothing ever will. Except a better iTunes App Store.

A couple of guys at work were all, "I'm getting a Droid because I don't want a phone that can't do Flash and I don't want to buy a phone from a company that doesn't let me decide this and that for myself blah blah blah boo hoo hoo". A few months later the envy kicked in when they realized their app store was crunk and they realized they don't visit sites that require Flash and that their phones were essentially mobile Windows PCs.

All Droid users can do is talk about Hz this and RAM this. Specs mean nothing when everything changes every six months. I mean really. Do you really get that horny over a few more whatever whatever? Droid users talk about specs. iPhone users talk about how much they use their phones for this and that in their lives.

EDIT: Oh lookie. A Droider clicked on the minus button :) I'd say I'm surprised but...

Krandor
Sep 27, 2011, 06:56 AM
Android has DLNA. Works nicely with my Panasonic TV too.
No need for any third party hardware (read Apple TV). ;)

Your TV has to support it so you still need hardware that supports it. There is more hardware that supports DLNA then Airplay but you still need DLNA compatible hardware - a Panasonic TV is still technically third party software. My TV does not support DLNA so I would still have to buy a device to use it.

Keleko
Sep 27, 2011, 10:10 AM
T Mobile 4.5 inch screen SG2 is cough $529.00 cough. Is that iphone 4 still cough $650.00 cough.

You should get that cough looked at. :rolleyes:

To Apple, you are the customer. They make their money from sales to you.

To Google, you are the product. The advertisers are the customers. They make their money from sales to advertisers. Google is selling you.

I know that isn't really what iOS can do vs Android, but it is about the philosophy in the design and implementation of the platforms and companies. That's the biggest reason I'll stick with Apple. I choose not to be sold by Google. Everyone says it is about choice, and so that is my choice.

err404
Sep 27, 2011, 10:12 AM
In general either OS will do everything that is wanted by the vast majority of users.
I prefer iOS over my Android for other reasons. iOS offers more consistently smooth performance and UI polish and battery life. Android manufactures also tend to drop support for older devices much sooner then Apple.

scott craft
Sep 27, 2011, 10:23 AM
In general either OS will do everything that is wanted by the vast majority of users.
I prefer iOS over my Android for other reasons. iOS offers more consistently smooth performance and UI polish and battery life. Android manufactures also tend to drop support for older devices much sooner then Apple.

Well said. Both platforms are capable of more than the average user needs and the apps most people want are available on both platforms. Seems to me the decision should be made on the user interface and how the phone operates. Obviously android is doing something right or the platform wouldn't be gaining so much market share and of course the next iphone will be the best selling phone. Go to the store, play with them and get what you like. Don't worry about what other people get.

Bobby Corwen
Sep 27, 2011, 10:30 AM
What can iPhone do that Android can't? Heres a list:

When you browse the web, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you check your email, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you check your Twitter, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you check your Facebook, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you use GPS, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you open your notes program, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you browse YouTube, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you scroll on any screen, iPhone UI is smooth and Androids lag.
When you add apps to the iPhone, you don't feel like you are slowly making your system more sluggish with every tool you add. The way iOS works there is no eventual sluggishness.
You can actually download Tiny Wings, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Infinity Blade, and even actual Squaresoft and EA games; iOS is like PS3/XBOX and Android is like the Wii. You guys don't get all the releases. Like Call of Duty came on PS3/XBOX/PC but Wii just got some cheap imitation. Who really knows how many titles you are really missing being on Android?? -and who knows how many more releases you WONT get in the future? Do your really want to be on the wrong side of that trend?

So yeah, those are the things that are better about iPhone over Android. Pretty much all the basics like web, email, apps... they all run longer because of the better battery management system. So you can do everything more, longer, better. It just works.

Its why all the cool people have iPhones.

nefan65
Sep 27, 2011, 10:40 AM
For me it's all about dependability. I had the 3G, then the 4 [skipped the 3Gs]. I was issued a new Android phone at my current employer. Had my 4, and they had some Verizon DROID variation. Used it for a week, and then turned it off and gave it back.

During that time I came to appreciate how solid iOS was/is. I turn it on, and it works. Mail works, Web works, Calendar works, et-al. Could not say the same for the DROID. Mail was flaky, apps froze, and had to reset the phone a few times during that small window of use. Could have been a lemon, but like they say "First impressions...".

Flash was kinda cool. But after about 30 minutes on a few flash sites, and seeing my battery plummet from 80% down to about 30% killed it for me...YMMV?

Anywho; I'll stick to iOS for the foreseeable future. If things change, then so will I...

kevinof
Sep 27, 2011, 10:43 AM
Obviously a fanboy. Come back with a reasoned, sensible, intelligent argument and I'll listen.

When you add apps to the iPhone, you don't feel like you are slowly making your system more sluggish with every tool you add. The way iOS works there is no eventual sluggishness.
You can actually download Tiny Wings, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Infinity Blade, and even actual Squaresoft and EA games; iOS is like PS3/XBOX and Android is like the Wii. You guys don't get all the releases. Like Call of Duty came on PS3/XBOX/PC but Wii just got some cheap imitation. Who really knows how many titles you are really missing being on Android?? -and who knows how many more releases you WONT get in the future? Do your really want to be on the wrong side of that trend?

So yeah, those are the things that are better about iPhone over Android. Pretty much all the basics like web, email, apps... they all run longer because of the better battery management system. So you can do everything more, longer, better. It just works.

Looon
Sep 27, 2011, 10:45 AM
For me it's all about dependability. I had the 3G, then the 4 [skipped the 3Gs]. I was issued a new Android phone at my current employer. Had my 4, and they had some Verizon DROID variation. Used it for a week, and then turned it off and gave it back.

During that time I came to appreciate how solid iOS was/is. I turn it on, and it works. Mail works, Web works, Calendar works, et-al. Could not say the same for the DROID. Mail was flaky, apps froze, and had to reset the phone a few times during that small window of use. Could have been a lemon, but like they say "First impressions...".

Flash was kinda cool. But after about 30 minutes on a few flash sites, and seeing my battery plummet from 80% down to about 30% killed it for me...YMMV?

Anywho; I'll stick to iOS for the foreseeable future. If things change, then so will I...
Truest post in this entire thing. Tried 2 different Android phones before returning to my iphone 4 again. Flash is nice except when you want your phone to last more than 3 hours plus all those cool widgets and things you see that make android special? They all eat battery like crazy...the solution on all the message boards? Turn them off...well whats the point of having a sweet Android phone if you cant use two of the only features that even make it different from the iphone? Not to mention the fact that the camera on most of them is garbage and that the stock browsers seem to suffer from being the laggiest things in the known universe. Plus the Motorola phones all have "blur" on them which is reason enough to not use any of them...Enjoy having 90% of your 1gb of ram being used by the system to keep blur going and even then it still manages to lag somehow.

*waits for downvoting*

Bobby Corwen
Sep 27, 2011, 10:53 AM
Obviously a fanboy. Come back with a reasoned, sensible, intelligent argument and I'll listen.

Ok heres one:

How come every time I see hot girls with a sense of fashion, or wealthy businessmen with a sense of style, or young rich people, or old rich people, or everybody who just comes off as alpha or elite, the people who run things pretty much and are leaders or icons; how come they all have the iPhone? And all the commoners, the average, the anti, the dorks, the low-brow, the lower class... they all seem to have Androids?

When the pattern changes, Ill change my story. Its not an unreasonable argument if the trend is true. The people who otherwise exude sensibility and the leaders of our civilization, the people who seem like they already make, and have the power to make, the best choices in life, choose iPhone.

macingman
Sep 27, 2011, 01:11 PM

* [AM]OLED screens
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards

Yes but all these features are from multiple phones so it kind of makes your point redundant.

My 1000th post finally.

Savor
Sep 27, 2011, 01:23 PM
I actually am starting to believe bigger phones is the future but it is a matter of getting used to them. I know there was a time when phones were getting smaller and some people hated it. Now phones are getting bigger and some people hate it. People don't always like change.

With a bigger phone, manufacturers have the ability to put better specs on them and bigger battery compared to trying to cram them in a smaller device. iPhone 5 to me will just have similar specs of the six-month old Samsung Galaxy S II but can run iOS.

Samsung is Apple's biggest threat when it comes to hardware. Try producing the best phone for two platforms (Android and WP7), make their own CPU and GPU, make their own cameras, make their own screens, can make a flexible OLED, and is already going to be in the 5-inch screen club for cell phones with the Galaxy Note. Don't underestimate the brilliance from the Koreans. Apple can go claim foul with a GUI, but Sammy has alot of things going for it other than a 4-year old grid interface look-alike.

iPhone 5 will have a bigger screen, a dual-core A5 chip, 8MP camera with 1080p video, better GPU, etc. All that stuff already seen before with the Galaxy S II.

Software-wise, Apple is still better but that gap is closing. Hardware-wise, Apple is now playing catch-up. But the way Apple presents it and markets it makes the regular masses and non-geeks feel it is fresh and they invented. When in fact, Android phones coming from Samsung or HTC has surpassed iPhones internally.

TheSuperSteve
Sep 27, 2011, 01:32 PM
what can an iphone do that a android phone cant

It can actually work.

Putting the disclaimer as always: At least in my experience.

Jordan921
Sep 27, 2011, 01:56 PM
I actually am starting to believe bigger phones is the future but it is a matter of getting used to them. I know there was a time when phones were getting smaller and some people hated it. Now phones are getting bigger and some people hate it. People don't always like change.

With a bigger phone, manufacturers have the ability to put better specs on them and bigger battery compared to trying to cram them in a smaller device. iPhone 5 to me will just have similar specs of the six-month old Samsung Galaxy S II but can run iOS.

Samsung is Apple's biggest threat when it comes to hardware. Try producing the best phone for two platforms (Android and WP7), make their own CPU and GPU, make their own cameras, make their own screens, can make a flexible OLED, and is already going to be in the 5-inch screen club for cell phones with the Galaxy Note. Don't underestimate the brilliance from the Koreans. Apple can go claim foul with a GUI, but Sammy has alot of things going for it other than a 4-year old grid interface look-alike.

iPhone 5 will have a bigger screen, a dual-core A5 chip, 8MP camera with 1080p video, better GPU, etc. All that stuff already seen before with the Galaxy S II.

Software-wise, Apple is still better but that gap is closing. Hardware-wise, Apple is now playing catch-up. But the way Apple presents it and markets it makes the regular masses and non-geeks feel it is fresh and they invented. When in fact, Android phones coming from Samsung or HTC has surpassed iPhones internally.

I'm sorry but carrying around a 5" phone is pretty stupid.

joegleur
Sep 27, 2011, 11:40 PM
I am also with you when people start arguing the high end apps they clearly to me are grasphing at straws since hardly anyone ever really uses those at all. THey may have a high download but never really are used.

high end apps unused = a non differentiator factor = high end specs unused. according to your logic. i do however doubt that millions would spend good $ buying apps that they don't use

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that apps aren't important, I just meant that for the most part games like Angry Birds are the extent to what people need/use. That said, there are those who use the apps you mentioned, and there is merit in comparing them, I just feel that it's not as important a factor as other aspects of comparison between the two.

i understand where you're coming from. that's what i'm trying to push that it does make a difference for some (ie the millions that uses camera+). i personally don't use apps like iMovie and pages much but i've seen lots of people using it and the sales statistics shows there's a demand.

ps: i do agree that the glass decision is absolutely terrible. i've seen many people with cracked screens on the train and i've personally been a victim of it *shudders*

Rodimus Prime
Sep 27, 2011, 11:54 PM
Ok heres one:

How come every time I see hot girls with a sense of fashion, or wealthy businessmen with a sense of style, or young rich people, or old rich people, or everybody who just comes off as alpha or elite, the people who run things pretty much and are leaders or icons; how come they all have the iPhone? And all the commoners, the average, the anti, the dorks, the low-brow, the lower class... they all seem to have Androids?

When the pattern changes, Ill change my story. Its not an unreasonable argument if the trend is true. The people who otherwise exude sensibility and the leaders of our civilization, the people who seem like they already make, and have the power to make, the best choices in life, choose iPhone.

boy so because that is what you see it must be true.

based on that argument most people who I see using iPhones are snobs or complete idiots when it comes to dealing with phones and computers. Android users are generally cooler people, smarter and know how to use computers and technology. Heck the Android guys seem to know more about iPhones than the idiot iPhone users.

Btw the leaders do not use iPhones or Android phones. They tend to use blackberries.
At least get your phone right in your arguments.
Either way both your post scream fanboy.

Yes but all these features are from multiple phones so it kind of makes your point redundant.

My 1000th post finally.

Not really. What they show is you have choices. You have to give up less to get what you want.

Take the iPhone you have 1 choice. What a larger or smaller screen size.. Nope. Want a keyboard nope not happening.
Want NFC- nope.
Choosing a smart phone right now is all about what are you willing to compromise on to get what you want. Android you have to compromise less than on for iOS.

pchipchip
Sep 28, 2011, 12:08 AM
Everything.

eaglesteve
Sep 28, 2011, 05:30 AM

B. If you're rooted on a custom ROM, you can generally take features from other ROMs (camera, widgets, etc). As for customizing music playback, I'm sure that can be done in Android, there's tons of customizable music apps but I've never wanted that feature so I never perused the settings or looked for an app that can do that.

C. Android does the exact same thing except with Google's version. Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Gmail, Picasa etc. Both OS's are nearly the same in this area. iPhone can only sync with Safari. Android doesn't sync with Chrome but Chrome to Phone is really all I have ever needed.

D. Not sure where you heard that. On my Nexus S, copying and pasting has been the same everywhere.

E. Nexus S. Also I'm pretty sure Google requires manufacturers to support devices for 18 months after release now.

F. This is all a matter of opinion. Also https://market.android.com/details?id=com.senygma.golfcard&feature=search_result

G. Don't manage it. Don't even pay attention to the running app list and you have nothing to worry about. Android does a much better job of managing memory than the user.

H. UI is a matter of opinion. Personally, I feel that stock Gingerbread on the Nexus S holds its own against iOS. Unfortunately, some developers make some very crappy icons for their apps. The back button feature is not accidental. It should only "exit" the app if you're on the first page of an app. If it doesn't, then it's the developers fault and not Android's. There's some seriously crappy apps on iOS and the same goes for Android.

For the record, I use an iPhone 4, Nexus S, and Motorola Atrix. I love my iPhone but I also love my Android devices too. Also, I'm not claiming that Android is better than iOS, I'm just clearing up some unfair criticism of it.

A.
Malware is a big issue. I personally had the content of my phone stolen by a free backup program. In another occasion, I encountered a faked VOIP program that only accepts user ID and password but no dialing function. Then, several third party keyboard programs contain warning that the application could send the details of what I type including user ID and password to the vendor's server. I have no faith in the market place and would not use the phone other than for ROM flashing and exploration purposes.

B.
The music playback customization is impossible to achieve on Android. I have challenged anyone to do this for over a year already. Now I challenge you too to do it. :D

C.
Yes, google does some that too, but not as well as iOS.

D.
I'm talking about Android phones' various and inconsistent way of copy and paste. Even on Nexus phones, you still have many ways of copy and paste because the third party applications do it in all sorts of different ways.

E.
Many phones that customers buy new are still on old Android version, and you have to wait and wait for the most recent firmware, if it ever comes. This is a fact.

F.
It is not an opinion. It's a fact that the Andoird version of that application does not support HTML mail for sending out score to your golf buddies. It is a fact that it is laggy on my Samsung Galaxy S. it's also a fact that the UI is inconsistent because the going to previous function is the same as in iPhone everywhere but only in one place it uses the back button.

G. Having these application running is bad IMO from security viewpoint, as applications could be started without my permission, battery consumption is taxed more heavily, and it makes the phone more laggy.

H.
There are applications that disable the back button and uses the iOS style of going back to the previous function, for good reasons. One such application that I used was a video application. Since accidental touching of the back button could and often happen, users get frustrated with having to wait for a long time for streaming of video to resume from where they were kicked out. I say iOS way is way superior without apology.

Krandor
Sep 28, 2011, 09:23 AM

I just looked at Doubletwise after this post. Smart Playlist support is only on Mac - not Windows. So for me, no Smart Playlists available.

There is iSyncr which will sync off iTunes, but doesn't support folders (which I use a lot).

Stock Android doesn't even have any syncing available at all and no third party apps do smart playlists on Windows without having to tie into iTunes. If I am still using iTunes, why would I move to Android?

Other limitations I found in doubletwist

- searched for podcasts and could not find half of what I subscribe to
- Even though there is airsync to update podcasts you have to manually tell DT to update them - kinda negates the whole purpose of wirelsss syncing. Seems like an "update every x hours" would be easy to do
- Didn't look like on DT I could make folders for playlists to keep for example podcast playlists in one folder and music playlists in another.

All in all doubletwist is interesting, but lacks a lot of the features of iTunes that I use regularly.

I see no way on an Android phone I can get the same media experience that I get on my iPhone (and that is ignoring for now the way multiple iOS devices work together). Media Management and organization on Android is a huge weak spot and one of the biggest things that keeps me from considering a move.

Google itself really need to make something that can compete with iTunes. Google music may eventually be it, but it has a long way to go.

Antivirus
Sep 28, 2011, 10:26 AM
I will give my input as a lifelong Android user.

I have used Android from the Tmobile G1 (First Android phone ever) and gone through many Android phones since. Ive used HTC Hero, HTC EVO, Droid Incredible, Galaxy S, etc.

There are many things Android does better than Iphone but those mainly involve Google specific apps such as maps, goggles, latitude, earth, etc (Which I would expect due to Google powering Android).

However the reason I switched over to Verizon and bought an Iphone when it was released is for the user experience.

Most Android phones have top of the line specs but that does not translate to the OS. Here is my analysis.

1. Most Android phones run skins over the top of the OS and after a while of use these skins start to bog down the phone. Skins like HTC sense, Motoblur, etc they all run great when you first get the phones but after adding many apps, songs, email accounts. The phone starts to slow down a lot. This is especially noticeable after about 5-6 months down the road IMO.

2. The Android Market is not controlled like Apple. Apple has strict limitations on what goes in the App store and for good reason. I cannot tell you the number of times an app would get updated or a new app would be released and it would run horribly on an older phone. The Android Market is great in terms of free available apps and the number of apps but many times when newer apps are released or an app is updated it seems like older phones get left in the dust. With Android it seems to be all about the latest and greatest or your outta luck. When I had my Android phones they would run great but after time when updates to apps or newer apps were released it would sometimes slow down phone or crash it since my phone would be older and the apps would be made for newer phones.

I may be biased here though since I have an I4 and all apps in the App Store are designed for it. Perhaps someone with a 3g or 3gs can chime in and report if this happens with IOS as well in regards to app updates.

3. Continuing with the rant on older phones is how carriers/ phone manufacturers hold phones back in regards to updates. When Google releases a new update for their OS (Froyo, Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, etc) not all phones get the update. Due to the skins most phone companies put on devices not every phone will get update at same time. My good friend had a Samsung Epic when it was first released and despite specwise being better then the Evo when it was released. The Epic had to wait several months just to get Froyo while my Evo had it a few weeks after release. Basically with Android, unless you have stock pure Android device (Nexus S, Nexus one,etc) then you really dont have any idea when you will receive updates for your phone despite them being available to other models. With Apple I like that when an update is released no matter what everyone usually gets it around the same time. In addition to that their updates support older devices.

4. Ease of use of Android compared to Apple would have to be my last point. On Android there were tons of times I would have to mess with settings or turn off something or just something inconvenient in order to function throughout the day.

For example I usually kept GPS off on my Evo to save battery. Well most times when looking for directions or something I would many times just forget it was off and simply open Google Maps. Then after opening Maps it would tell me I would have to turn on GPS settings so I would have to exit and then find the widget and turn on GPS settings and wait for phone to find GPS satellite(which could take about 20 seconds) while typing directions.

With I4 I simply open Maps and start typing directions. The phone automatically turns on GPS and finds location while I am typing.

Its just simply stuff like that. Maybe it was just an Evo thing but it seemed like a common sense feature that was missing. If I am opening maps why couldnt the EVO just turn on GPS automatically and save me time. Why must it tell me I need GPS setting on in order to use when that is obvious.

Just simple things like that to me where it seems like something that would make sense but it isnt applied in the Android OS. Maybe that was just an HTC Evo specific problem though.

Now I will say that Android has tons of perks to it but that could be another essay altogether.

The bottom line is both OS have their advantages and disadvantages.

All I have stated comes from my personal experience and does not speak for all users.

To me the main difference is Android seems to focus mainly on specs while letting the OS come second which is why there are bugs and GPS issues and what not you hear about. Where as IOS is mostly about delivering on the actual experience with only using the specs necessary to achieve this.

naths
Sep 28, 2011, 11:10 AM

ummm..my SGS2 doesn't do any of what you've said....so don't put things that are total crap.......wouldnt surprise me if you've got a apple logo on your knickers...oh and your schoolbag..haha..

Krandor
Sep 28, 2011, 11:24 AM
So many people want to make fun of Apple "fanboys" but lately I am finding the google "fanboys" even more annoying.

Sir Ruben
Sep 28, 2011, 11:54 AM
ummm..my SGS2 doesn't do any of what you've said....so don't put things that are total crap.......wouldnt surprise me if you've got a apple logo on your knickers...oh and your schoolbag..haha..

reading your post I cant help but ask: why are you here? This is an iPhone forum and you are clearly anti apple and love your SGS2. Nothing wrong with that of course the SGS2 is a great phone, but I still ask: why are you here?

Krandor
Sep 28, 2011, 12:06 PM
reading your post I cant help but ask: why are you here? This is an iPhone forum and you are clearly anti apple and love your SGS2. Nothing wrong with that of course the SGS2 is a great phone, but I still ask: why are you here?

He is here to help Google's mission to assimilate the world. All must be assimilated. :)

ChazUK
Sep 28, 2011, 12:21 PM

So what you want is no Android users to express their experiences on "what can an iphone do that a android phone cant"?

Although this is an iPhone forum, shouldn't you expect responses from users of other platforms when questions are asked about said platforms?

Perhaps the thread should be renamed "Let's blow smoke up the iPhones arse?" to appease you?

Pink∆Floyd
Sep 28, 2011, 12:32 PM
An iPhone will give the user a very pleasant experience and has industry leading battery life performance

aztooh
Sep 28, 2011, 12:43 PM

All he said is that his GS2 doesn't suffer from lag with every task as the other poster suggested...how does that make him anti-Apple?

Your sig says you had a GS2, so instead of making something up, how about you refute or confirm that it lags with every task? Actually contribute something?

OMGbrandon
Sep 28, 2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah, cos all of them are made of plastic right?:rolleyes:

I haven't seen one made with glass/metal. All of them have plastic backings.

Krandor
Sep 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
So what you want is no Android users to express their experiences on "what can an iphone do that a android phone cant"?

Although this is an iPhone forum, shouldn't you expect responses from users of other platforms when questions are asked about said platforms?

Perhaps the thread should be renamed "Let's blow smoke up the iPhones arse?" to appease you?

I don't get the reason to even visit here personally. Since I don't have an Android device, I don't have any interest at all in going over and reading and commenting on Android forums. I guess I would rather spend my time reading about the device I have then the device I don't have. Maybe that's just me.

----------

All he said is that his GS2 doesn't suffer from lag with every task as the other poster suggested...how does that make him anti-Apple?

Then he followed up that comment about his GS2 by taking a potshot at people use use iPhones which made his bias very clear. If all he had said is his GS2 didn't suffer from lag then you would be right, but that is not all he said.

ChazUK
Sep 28, 2011, 01:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I don't get the reason to even visit here personally. Since I don't have an Android device, I don't have any interest at all in going over and reading and commenting on Android forums. I guess I would rather spend my time reading about the device I have then the device I don't have. Maybe that's just me.

----------

Then he followed up that comment about his GS2 by taking a potshot at people use use iPhones which made his bias very clear. If all he had said is his GS2 didn't suffer from lag then you would be right, but that is not all he said.

These forums are an invaluable source of information for people who don't own an iPhone so non iPhone owners should be welcomed.

If you can point me to the rule that you must own an iPhone to post here it'd be most welcomed.

Rodimus Prime
Sep 28, 2011, 01:19 PM
I just looked at Doubletwise after this post. Smart Playlist support is only on Mac - not Windows. So for me, no Smart Playlists available.

There is iSyncr which will sync off iTunes, but doesn't support folders (which I use a lot).

Stock Android doesn't even have any syncing available at all and no third party apps do smart playlists on Windows without having to tie into iTunes. If I am still using iTunes, why would I move to Android?

Other limitations I found in doubletwist

- searched for podcasts and could not find half of what I subscribe to
- Even though there is airsync to update podcasts you have to manually tell DT to update them - kinda negates the whole purpose of wirelsss syncing. Seems like an "update every x hours" would be easy to do
- Didn't look like on DT I could make folders for playlists to keep for example podcast playlists in one folder and music playlists in another.

All in all doubletwist is interesting, but lacks a lot of the features of iTunes that I use regularly.

I see no way on an Android phone I can get the same media experience that I get on my iPhone (and that is ignoring for now the way multiple iOS devices work together). Media Management and organization on Android is a huge weak spot and one of the biggest things that keeps me from considering a move.

Google itself really need to make something that can compete with iTunes. Google music may eventually be it, but it has a long way to go.

Will you be more detailed on what you want exactly on smart playlist? I know for me if I do some changes on iTunes (ratings or something that changes a smart playlist) double twist will update its playlist that syncs with my phones.

Google Music works pretty good as well keeping everything synced up and as for what is on my phone that is again controlled by Double twist and Google music links up with my Google music account. If I am playing music on my phone I tend to go with Double twist. Stream from the cloud it is Google Music.

As for podcast I tend to use programs like Dog catcher (paid) or Google Listen (Free) that pull off the RSS feeds and download my podcast automatically. Google Listen ties into Google Reader and Dog catcher can pull your feeds from that as well. I like this way for my podcast because the RSS feeds update a heck of a lot faster than iTunes. iTunes it might be 12+ hours after the RSS feed updates.

I will agree in terms of music player iOS is by far the best. Android is good but not as good as iOS. Now my phone keeps everything updated better than my iPod due to Air sync but hopefully iOS5 will improve things a little but I know I will listen to music more on my phone than my iPod since generally when I want to listen to it my phone is with me, iPod not so much.

Wrathwitch
Sep 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
make me happy in my pants?

WW

Rodimus Prime
Sep 28, 2011, 01:36 PM
I don't get the reason to even visit here personally. Since I don't have an Android device, I don't have any interest at all in going over and reading and commenting on Android forums. I guess I would rather spend my time reading about the device I have then the device I don't have. Maybe that's just me.[COLOR="#808080"]

Tech enthusiast. iPhone users tend not to be big Tech enthusiast and if they are they tend to only live in the world of Apple. There are not many that love everything.

Android users on the other and you have a much larger number who are tech enthusiast and as such have an interested in iPhones and reading about them. They may not want one but they like learning about them and well best place for that info tends to be iPhone forums. We android users do not like seeing lies bashing android OS from people who clearly never really have gotten to know it.

aztooh
Sep 28, 2011, 01:37 PM
[/COLOR]

Man, don't be so sensitive. He took a "potshot" at that poster, not ALL iPhone users...geez. I currently have an iPhone, and took no offense whatsover...it was CLEARLY directed at the post he QUOTED.

I get what you're saying, the personal comments could have been left out. But I'm not mad, they were warranted IMO. People that post idiotic stuff like that (what he quoted) shouldn't be banned. I like facts, not hyperbole, especially from someone who probably hasn't even used a high end Android device.

Krandor
Sep 28, 2011, 05:20 PM
Tech enthusiast. iPhone users tend not to be big Tech enthusiast and if they are they tend to only live in the world of Apple. There are not many that love everything.

Android users on the other and you have a much larger number who are tech enthusiast and as such have an interested in iPhones and reading about them. They may not want one but they like learning about them and well best place for that info tends to be iPhone forums. We android users do not like seeing lies bashing android OS from people who clearly never really have gotten to know it.

You are way over generalizing. I am a tech enthusiast and enjoy my iPhone just fine. I have plenty of things at home if I want to tinker... when I want to use my phone I just want it to work.. that and I went to the iPhone from an iPod because I did not want to carry two devices around and as I have mentioned in this thread Android so far does not provide a compelling enough media management/organization experience to get me to move off the iPhone and as one of the primary things I use my iPhone for that is a HUGE deal for me. I cannot justify moving to a platform that gives a lesser experience then what I have now on one of the primary things I use on my phone.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 28, 2011, 05:47 PM
We android users do not like seeing lies bashing android OS from people who clearly never really have gotten to know it.

Captain save a Android ..... :rolleyes:

takeshi74
Sep 28, 2011, 09:21 PM
is there anything?

im torn on my next phone
Why does it matter? Shop based on your own needs/wants. Not on some arbitrary list of features.

Rodimus Prime
Sep 28, 2011, 09:24 PM
You are way over generalizing. I am a tech enthusiast and enjoy my iPhone just fine. I have plenty of things at home if I want to tinker... when I want to use my phone I just want it to work.. that and I went to the iPhone from an iPod because I did not want to carry two devices around and as I have mentioned in this thread Android so far does not provide a compelling enough media management/organization experience to get me to move off the iPhone and as one of the primary things I use my iPhone for that is a HUGE deal for me. I cannot justify moving to a platform that gives a lesser experience then what I have now on one of the primary things I use on my phone.

I may of been generalizing but does not change the fact that it tends to hold true.

Also I still would like you to explain more in detailed what you want out of your smart playlist (point back to an earlier post of mine about double twist.

Krandor
Sep 28, 2011, 10:28 PM
I may of been generalizing but does not change the fact that it tends to hold true.

Also I still would like you to explain more in detailed what you want out of your smart playlist (point back to an earlier post of mine about double twist.

As for doubletwist limitations

- cannot even load it on my windows 7 x64. there is an 8 month old thread on their page about the issue but no resolution
- no smart playlists available in windows version
- used their podcast search feature - could not find half the podcasts I use
- even with wifi sync you have to manually tell doubletwist to update podcasts which makes wifi sync not near as usable. I mainly want wifi sync to get the latest podcasts, but if I have to go to my computer to manually download new podcasts it negates the purpose.
- doesn't look like I can create playlist folders (another item I use a lot)
- from looking at their forums, their support seems very slow and nonresponsive. for just about all the issues I listed above there are months old threads about them with little or no response from developers.

All in all, doubletwist is an app that is trying to be itunes but lacks lots of features that are in itunes and has little to no support. Don't see it as an app i would spend money on.

----------

Also found a thread on their forum about issues on windows syncing music from network attached drives. All of my media is on network drives.

sentinelsx
Sep 28, 2011, 10:33 PM
Ok heres one:

That's funny. WHenever I see hot girls and big business guys I see blackberries or some cheap dumbphone in their hands. You know, the things both android and iOS fans love to dub "failures".

Pretty sure if i was actually wealthy i would probably not give a damn about what phone is in my hands. It just needs to do a certain job and thats it. As for girls, i would like an explanation of people who have 2006 era dumbphones and still have hotter gfs than those with iphones or androids or whatever tickles their fantasy.

I guess people get attached too much to their material things to feel a need for re-assurance. Get out, the world is bigger than a phone.

Rodimus Prime
Sep 28, 2011, 11:12 PM
As for doubletwist limitations
Number them for the response and questions

1. cannot even load it on my windows 7 x64. there is an 8 month old thread on their page about the issue but no resolution

2. no smart playlists available in windows version

3. used their podcast search feature - could not find half the podcasts I use

4. even with wifi sync you have to manually tell doubletwist to update podcasts which makes wifi sync not near as usable. I mainly want wifi sync to get the latest podcasts, but if I have to go to my computer to manually download new podcasts it negates the purpose.

5 doesn't look like I can create playlist folders (another item I use a lot)

6 from looking at their forums, their support seems very slow and nonresponsive. for just about all the issues I listed above there are months old threads about them with little or no response from developers.

All in all, doubletwist is an app that is trying to be itunes but lacks lots of features that are in itunes and has little to no support. Don't see it as an app i would spend money on.

----------

Also found a thread on their forum about issues on windows syncing music from network attached drives. All of my media is on network drives.

Number for my responses.
1. Not sure what you are talking about. I am on a windows x64 windows 7 computer. I have no issue with it.

2. More detail please. Again the double twist playlist are populated from my iTunes playlist. iTunes smart playlist adds a song it is done in double twist.

3. Never really use Double twist for pod caste. There are by far better options. A great free option is Google Listen. Supply Google listen the RSS feed of the pod cast and it handles everything else. I use an App called dog catcher which is paid and offers a few more features than Google Listen but does the same thing.

4. Points back to reason 3. Both the apps I talk about check and download podcast at what ever time period you request. I think I set mine to 6 hours and unlike iOS I can download them over cell network.

5. What do you mean by that? Remember iTunes is still handling all the creating and controlling of my playlist. Double twist is used for syncing but gets all its information from iTunes.

6. It is a free program and I would like to point out Apple is not much better.

And like I said before iOS is a better for music player. Android it is pretty good but not as nice. Podcast, honestly I find Android is better at that with the fact that I am not limited by wifi only downloading and I can get the pod cast earlier as I do not have to wait for iTunes store to update its list so I can download it. I have seen the differences be has high was 12+ hours between when I could pull it off the RSS feed compared to iTunes.

Matthew9559
Sep 28, 2011, 11:15 PM
This is a dangerous, dangerous question.

Juan007
Sep 28, 2011, 11:19 PM
Only iPhone delivers the superior user experience and all-around quality. Android handset makers always cut corners and it shows in the end product. For example, look at the HTC EVO. The battery life is garbage and the movie quality is garbage, dropping to around 10 fps in lowlight 720p record. They just throw features into the EVO for bullet points on the box, nevermind the quality.

Crap like that won't stand with Apple. They don't ship crap, they don't cut corners, they deliver the superior all-around phone. Just try one, it's obvious at first touch.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 28, 2011, 11:23 PM
That's funny. WHenever I see hot girls and big business guys I see blackberries or some cheap dumbphone in their hands. You know, the things both android and iOS fans love to dub "failures".

Pretty sure if i was actually wealthy i would probably not give a damn about what phone is in my hands. It just needs to do a certain job and thats it. As for girls, i would like an explanation of people who have 2006 era dumbphones and still have hotter gfs than those with iphones or androids or whatever tickles their fantasy.

I guess people get attached too much to their material things to feel a need for re-assurance. Get out, the world is bigger than a phone.

Playing on a Yacht with hot girls > playing with any device

Figuring out what newest $100K+ priced luxury car to get next > what device to get next

BTW ...... I know plenty of rich people. Your right, most do have regular dumb phones or Blackberries. But damn near every last rich person I know has the latest Mac and an i....everything else.

sentinelsx
Sep 28, 2011, 11:28 PM

Figuring out what newest $100K+ priced luxury car to get next > what device to get next

BTW ...... I know plenty of rich people. Your right, most do have regular dumb phones or Blackberries. But damn near every last rich person I know has the latest Mac and an i....everything else.

That's because they are expensive and classy. I am not going to argue over this it is a known factor.

But they probably also don't spend nights arguing about those devices too. Getting the newest mbp or the newest dell is probably at the bottom of their yearly "care lists" lol. It is just people who for some reason develop unnecessary attachment with these who love to defend their choices.

lilo777
Sep 28, 2011, 11:45 PM
Only iPhone delivers the superior user experience and all-around quality. Android handset makers always cut corners and it shows in the end product. For example, look at the HTC EVO. The battery life is garbage and the movie quality is garbage, dropping to around 10 fps in lowlight 720p record. They just throw features into the EVO for bullet points on the box, nevermind the quality.

Crap like that won't stand with Apple. They don't ship crap, they don't cut corners, they deliver the superior all-around phone. Just try one, it's obvious at first touch.

Why is it that only Apple fans defend their favorite toys with such broad generalizations? Is it because they can not point out to any specific advantages of their toys? Samsung Galaxy S II is by far the best phone right now and has been for many months. And it has been outselling iPhone 4 lately in such important markets (where it was available) as Britain and Japan.

boss.king
Sep 28, 2011, 11:56 PM

If I was rich I wouldn't care about what phone I had cos I'd have them all :D

ObsessiveEmile
Sep 29, 2011, 05:59 AM
My opinion: Quality>Quantity = Apple>Android. Tried both, had an S2 last week. IMO iOS is the one for me.

Krandor
Sep 29, 2011, 07:05 AM
Number for my responses.
1. Not sure what you are talking about. I am on a windows x64 windows 7 computer. I have no issue with it.

2. More detail please. Again the double twist playlist are populated from my iTunes playlist. iTunes smart playlist adds a song it is done in double twist.

3. Never really use Double twist for pod caste. There are by far better options. A great free option is Google Listen. Supply Google listen the RSS feed of the pod cast and it handles everything else. I use an App called dog catcher which is paid and offers a few more features than Google Listen but does the same thing.

4. Points back to reason 3. Both the apps I talk about check and download podcast at what ever time period you request. I think I set mine to 6 hours and unlike iOS I can download them over cell network.

5. What do you mean by that? Remember iTunes is still handling all the creating and controlling of my playlist. Double twist is used for syncing but gets all its information from iTunes.

6. It is a free program and I would like to point out Apple is not much better.

And like I said before iOS is a better for music player. Android it is pretty good but not as nice. Podcast, honestly I find Android is better at that with the fact that I am not limited by wifi only downloading and I can get the pod cast earlier as I do not have to wait for iTunes store to update its list so I can download it. I have seen the differences be has high was 12+ hours between when I could pull it off the RSS feed compared to iTunes.

1. It crashes for me on Windows 7. I searched for forums and found a long thread on the issue with no resolution in over 8 months.

2. In Doubletwist there is an option for "add playlist"... no option for "add smart playlist". Again, checked forums and found a long thread that the option is evidently in the mac version but not windows. I found an option for "import playlist from iTunes" but since I cannot get it to run on my main computer cannot really test.... Since DT itself does not support smart playlists, if something changes in a smart playlist on iTunes does it have to be re-imported for the change to take effect.

2a. If I still have to use itunes for doubletwist to work properly, how have I improved anything? iTunes by itself is a huge memory hog and if I have to run that and a second program to make it all work - not interested.

3. I do not like using any phone based podcast catchers because then the files are only available on my phone. I also like to listen to podcasts through iTunes directly, ATV, etc. I like my content available multiple places and not tied to one. Also, I find the ability to search and find podcasts in iTunes very useful and is how I find 90% of my podcasts. Doubletwist has the function but it really doesn't work well.

4. See 3 - I like content in a centralzied location that can be accessed from multiple devices/places.

5. Again, no option I can find in doubletwist for "create folder". As I said earlier if I am just creating in itunes, then syncing to DT, then syncing to the phone that sounds to me like way too many places for something to go wrong and way more apps running on my computer then I would like. Why can't DT just replace iTunes since it is obviously trying to?

6. USB sync is free... wifi sync and other options are paid. If I was going to use it, I would have to have wifi sync.

I never said iTunes was a perfect product. I get very frustrated with it on many occassions, but my point has always been NOBODY has a product that can replace it that has the same features. DT is the closest and even in the interface tries to be iTunes but lacks features needed to do so. and in reality all most products do is just link their program into itunes, not replace it.

Nobody has made a viable competitor to iTunes that takes what it dos well and fixes the things it doesn't do well.

I am hesitant on produts that just "link into" iTunes because I have been down that road before using a wifisync jailbreak app for iPhone. The mutli-app solution just really didn't work all that well.

Krandor
Sep 29, 2011, 07:27 AM
When I first pulled up Doubletwist it looked like something that could just replace iTunes which actually had me a bit excited. Now after reading your response the only way to get it to do what I want is to make it basically a "dumb client" for iTunes. Very dissapointing. I already have some issues with the memory iTunes by itself uses up - having to use that plus another batch for DT isn't very exciting at all.

Why won't Google just add some type of sync functionality into Android, compete with iTunes, and remove the reliance on all these 3rd party apps?

I keep hearing "Android has done wifi syncing for years" which isn't really true. Android 3rd party apps have done wifi syncig for years (as have iPhone 3rd party apps), but Android itself has done no syncing ever. I guess streaming over google music is Google's answer, but in the days of limited data plans and the feature set of google music being so limited that doesn't seem to be the best choice.

I do wish Google would spend some time on good media management support for Android.

----------

Why is it that only Apple fans defend their favorite toys with such broad generalizations?

Android fans throw out broad generalizations all the time about Android.

Sir Ruben
Sep 29, 2011, 07:34 AM
When I first pulled up Doubletwist it looked like something that could just replace iTunes which actually had me a bit excited. Now after reading your response the only way to get it to do what I want is to make it basically a "dumb client" for iTunes. Very dissapointing. I already have some issues with the memory iTunes by itself uses up - having to use that plus another batch for DT isn't very exciting at all.

Why won't Google just add some type of sync functionality into Android, compete with iTunes, and remove the reliance on all these 3rd party apps?

I keep hearing "Android has done wifi syncing for years" which isn't really true. Android 3rd party apps have done wifi syncig for years (as have iPhone 3rd party apps), but Android itself has done no syncing ever. I guess streaming over google music is Google's answer, but in the days of limited data plans and the feature set of google music being so limited that doesn't seem to be the best choice.

I do wish Google would spend some time on good media management support for Android.[COLOR="#808080"]

See just reading this one post reminds me of the many reasons I just couldnt bear to use Android. Its funny i may get jumped on for saying that......on an iPhone forum......because all the Android users are on here spreading the word lol

Krandor
Sep 29, 2011, 08:57 AM

Went back and tried this on my laptop ( since is still won't run on my desktop). You are correct that it does seem to work as a "dumb client" for iTunes. Not an optimum arrangement but does work for the most part.

Still however,

- Folders do not work. I create a folder in iTunes and it becomes a playlist in DT with everything in every playlist in the folder in it. Not what I was looking for. I keep music playlists in one folder, podcast playlists in another folder, audiobooks in another, etc. No folders and all playlists being in one big list is not a desirable outcome at all. Not a deal breaker, but really messes up organization.

- Syncing of playcount information from DT to iTunes does not seem to work. This is a deal-breaker. Just about all my smart playlists rely on playcount or last played information so without that information the smart playlists are useless. So using DT I can access my Smart Playlists in iTunes but they will never update. Not a great option.

iSncy seems to be much better for just straight iTunes syncing, but it also seems to have no support for playlist folders. Does Android itself just not support having folders for playlists because that seems to be a common issue?

So in general it appears there are no options in Android to replace iTunes, but there are some "kludges" that will kinda sync with iTunes, but with limitations and caveats and also doesn't appear to be anything that does "home sharing" (another feature I quite like).

YaBoiD
Sep 29, 2011, 11:32 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/229263/google_clearing_up_more_android_malware.html

^^^^Malware^^^^ is a MAJOR reason I will continue to use my iPhone since I have switched over from Android. Both OS's offer their +'s and -'s. In the end, it is up to personal preference.

naths
Sep 29, 2011, 02:17 PM

Not anti-apple ...far from it...i use at home a 27" iMac and a 17" macbookpro,my business uses windows,and i will wait to see what the next iPhone brings,am due to upgrade the first 20 of my work phones in the middle of october,will see what the iPhone brings and the nexus prime,due a week later i believe,may even wait until the nokia W7 phones appear as i use windows at work so W7 phones makes sense,at the moment we use SGS2s which i swapped from iphone4s,and they fit in with my business a lot better than the iPhone did.
What annoys me on here is that there are far to many people who just think that whatever apple brings out is the be all and end all,which it is clearly not..as far as I'm concerned whichever suits my needs i will use,but as for some of the very obviously childish comments on here about android...ridiculous...ios is a great operating system,but needs radical updating,its now lagging behind android in many ways,also the phone hardware needs upgrading,removable battery,expandable memory,etc....

Rodimus Prime
Sep 29, 2011, 02:30 PM
Went back and tried this on my laptop ( since is still won't run on my desktop). You are correct that it does seem to work as a "dumb client" for iTunes. Not an optimum arrangement but does work for the most part.

Still however,

- Folders do not work. I create a folder in iTunes and it becomes a playlist in DT with everything in every playlist in the folder in it. Not what I was looking for. I keep music playlists in one folder, podcast playlists in another folder, audiobooks in another, etc. No folders and all playlists being in one big list is not a desirable outcome at all. Not a deal breaker, but really messes up organization.

- Syncing of playcount information from DT to iTunes does not seem to work. This is a deal-breaker. Just about all my smart playlists rely on playcount or last played information so without that information the smart playlists are useless. So using DT I can access my Smart Playlists in iTunes but they will never update. Not a great option.

iSncy seems to be much better for just straight iTunes syncing, but it also seems to have no support for playlist folders. Does Android itself just not support having folders for playlists because that seems to be a common issue?

So in general it appears there are no options in Android to replace iTunes, but there are some "kludges" that will kinda sync with iTunes, but with limitations and caveats and also doesn't appear to be anything that does "home sharing" (another feature I quite like).

So you want a replacement for iTunes and two way syncing. If you want to kill off iTunes then you might want to look at things like Zune program. Either way you want the two way syncing.

Does not help that Apple only allows Apple products syncing with iTunes and does not allow two say syncing with other programs.

scott craft
Sep 29, 2011, 05:12 PM
So you want a replacement for iTunes and two way syncing. If you want to kill off iTunes then you might want to look at things like Zune program. Either way you want the two way syncing.

Does not help that Apple only allows Apple products syncing with iTunes and does not allow two say syncing with other programs.

My wife has an iphone 4 and I've got a WP7 and for what we do I much prefer zune. Zune is easier to use and faster, at least for my purposes.

Acronym
Sep 29, 2011, 08:40 PM

I have experienced good scrolling on my sisters android or atrix whichever one it was.

it is not out of the realm of possibility, but that does not mean I'd switch to an android. Personally if Apple comes out with "Assistant" I will want to upgrade.

eaglesteve
Sep 29, 2011, 08:49 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/229263/google_clearing_up_more_android_malware.html

^^^^Malware^^^^ is a MAJOR reason I will continue to use my iPhone since I have switched over from Android. Both OS's offer their +'s and -'s. In the end, it is up to personal preference.

That was also the most important factor keeping me away from Android.

mike423
Sep 30, 2011, 05:04 AM
its Apple...

kentishboy
Sep 30, 2011, 10:32 AM
I have bot and overall i prefer the iphone because everything just works and the UI is cleaner

Pyromonkey83
Sep 30, 2011, 11:17 AM
Im sure people have already said this 100 times, but in my opinion the iPhone is better due to 3 main reasons.

1) Updates. If this needs clarification then wow... Just wow.

2) Doesnt crash all the time or hang up like my Samsung Infuse 4G did CONSTANTLY.

3) The App store. You dont have to worry about spending $4 on an app and it either not working correctly, or more likely, being mis-advertised, malware, or a knock-off of the real thing.

Its not what an iPhone can do that an Android phone CANT, its what an iPhone does BETTER.

Krandor
Sep 30, 2011, 11:22 AM

Playcount information at least has to be synced back. Otherwise it defeats a lot of the purpsoe of smart playlists. a playlist for "music not listened to in 6 months" isn't much use it you don't have last played information.

iTunes is Apple's product so I have no problem with them only allowing Apple devices to sync. If Android wants to sync, then Google should make their own program, but so far they haven't. I have no idea why though.

Savor
Sep 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
I was thinking today if Apple would become like IBM (its once public enemy #1) and just dominate a generation in technology like "Big Brother" did.

Then I came across the article below. A long but very interesting read.

History repeats itself: IBM vs Apple then, iPhone vs Android now
(http://cerebrux.net/2010/08/11/history-repeats-itself-ibm-vs-apple-then-iphone-vs-android-now/)

Cicatrix
Oct 31, 2011, 12:34 PM
Nanostudio, and imaschine. The Android phones do not have these apps that are for audio. That's a Android deal breaker for me right there.

Stewie
Oct 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
Last a full day on a single battery charge.

This!

Battery life is the only reason I gave up my Android for a iPhone.

Other then that there is nothing that the iphone does better then android.

misterrunon
Jan 9, 2012, 11:27 PM
i don't think an iphone 4s can outdo anything over my GS2 (rooted with custom ROM).

battery: i get 3-4 days of battery life with light/moderate use. occasional browsing and etc, and the phone will go from 100% to 80% by the end of the day. i am also going to buy a pair of batteries that have more capacity (but same size), which will be beneficial for me when I go camping for 2-3 days (it will be my mp3 player and flashlight at night).

durability: look up videos on the GS2 vs. the IP4S. dropping the IP4S from the waist down will crack your screen. you can drop the galaxy s2 from the shoulder down and still expect your phone to be intact. i don't even use a case on my phone. if iphones are known for their pure beauty, then why does everyone always have to buy cases once they get their phones? and i've even shut my car door on the phone twice and the it's not even close to being broken.

widgets: i love widgets; they are so useful. i have dictionary, wifi/3g switches (which is important to me, since i'm only on 200MB data), news feed, and weather widgets. they all make using my phone more convenient.

value: as far as holding value goes, i find that to be misleading; at least in my experience. i got my GS2 for $0.00, while i would have had to purchased an iphone for $199. in a year from now, i am quite certain that the gs2 will still be worth at least $200. that means i put in $0 and can get a minimum of $200 for the phone, while with the iphone 4s, i would have had to pay $170+tax, and i'd be getting back $400ish for it.

there are certain things that iphones do better than androids, but my opinion is that they are insignificant features.. while androids offer significant features that apple hasn't been able to provide. iphones are better than androids out of the box, but with some work in flashing your ROM and some tinkering, the iphone doesn't compare. i don't get why people don't want to put in the work (or pay someone to flash it for you) to get your phone to offer a gazillion more features. what's the point of having this phone then? to have something that looks shiny and pretty?

Buckeyestar
Jan 9, 2012, 11:49 PM
is there anything?

im torn on my next phone

Sell more than any other smartphone on the market.

vitzr
Jan 9, 2012, 11:56 PM
What can an iPhone do that an Android can't?

That's easy.

When you drop your iPhone when getting out of the car, it sounds like you're breaking a window... ha... ha...ha...

Pretty authentic eh? :D

sentinelsx
Jan 10, 2012, 12:05 AM
Audio quality. Sure it is a phone, but for a phone the audio quality through decent headphones is very enjoyable compared to android phones.

Don't really get why samsung, htc, moto etc overlook the sound department. Samsung did good with galaxy s then back tracked on their new gen phones.

And sony needs to put that walkman audio chip in their xperia phones. It sucks that if i use an android phone i need to carry an ipod nano. Completely destroys the convenience of using one device on the go.

BLOND37
Jan 10, 2012, 06:38 AM
whoops wrong area

benhollberg
Jan 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
whoops wrong area

Having the same problem, link to a thread please.

matttye
Jan 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
Last a full day on a single battery charge. Comes with a search function too.

My galaxy s2 has both of those features... Next!

The amount of bs about android in this thread will be fun :p

----------

Galaxy s2. Next!

----------

An iPhone gets much better support and software updates than android. The warranty service is superior. IPhone has way more apps. And in my eyes iphone has a much superior UI and OS.

True.. Warranty and support on android is lacking.

----------

FaceTime.

Android has video chat apps that can run over 3G, not just wifi.

----------

AirPlay - fair enough.
iTunes - fair enough.
iMessage - use whatsapp, just as good.
FaceTime - use Qik, just as good and works over 3G too.

----------

Arguable. I'd say being able to put widgets on your home screens is more intuitive than having to launch an app every time. The design of the settings menus are more intuitive on the iPhone admittedly.

verwon
Jan 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
The ability to get me to spend money on it! :-)

First time I spent more than $99 on a phone for myself. My other phones, Palm and Android were all ones I bought used, or waited for a special discount deal to buy.

matttye
Jan 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
It runs software that is made by people with a sense of design and culture.

Android is made by and for the geeks. Nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.

Not sure I agree there. iOS, whilst nice looking, can become rather bland after a while. Android is skinnable so you can complete change its' appearance. It can be pink with floaty butterflies if you so choose.. iOS is grey and you can't do much about it.

----------

Widgets alone make android superior to iOS. Less time to access common features, yes please!

----------

Tell that to safari on my iPad because it didn't get the message.

----------

Resale Value

One of the best and valid points in this thread. Resale value is much higher with an iPhone.

----------

They're completely different so not sure why you'd make such a strange connection, but whatever. Nothing wrong with pcs either. :cool:

----------

You say that but some apps on android are far superior, such as Dropbox.

Skika
Jan 10, 2012, 02:45 PM
Not sure I agree there. iOS, whilst nice looking, can become rather bland after a while. Android is skinnable so you can complete change its' appearance. It can be pink with floaty butterflies if you so choose.. iOS is grey and you can't do much about it.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

You missed the point. A great artists never puts a blank spot or a mediocre spot on his work and then goes "well you can put anything you like there".

A great artist does his work and trust that people who resonate with it are going to find its way to it. Not by compromising his vision though.

matttye
Jan 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
You missed the point. A great artists never puts a blank spot or a mediocre spot on his work and then goes "well you can put anything you like there".

A great artist does his work and trust that people who resonate with it are going to find its way to it. Not by compromising his vision though.

I'm not sure you really have a point to be honest. Android is skinnable so, because multiple different skins are released for it, its likely to appeal to more people. With the iPhone you like it or lump it.

keeper
Jan 10, 2012, 04:42 PM
Android has a more useable browser.
An iphone won't wrap text to the screen when you pinch zoom text, android does so you can read without having to scroll.

newyorksole
Jan 10, 2012, 08:39 PM
i don't think an iphone 4s can outdo anything over my GS2 (rooted with custom ROM).

battery: i get 3-4 days of battery life with light/moderate use. occasional browsing and etc, and the phone will go from 100% to 80% by the end of the day. i am also going to buy a pair of batteries that have more capacity (but same size), which will be beneficial for me when I go camping for 2-3 days (it will be my mp3 player and flashlight at night).

durability: look up videos on the GS2 vs. the IP4S. dropping the IP4S from the waist down will crack your screen. you can drop the galaxy s2 from the shoulder down and still expect your phone to be intact. i don't even use a case on my phone. if iphones are known for their pure beauty, then why does everyone always have to buy cases once they get their phones? and i've even shut my car door on the phone twice and the it's not even close to being broken.

widgets: i love widgets; they are so useful. i have dictionary, wifi/3g switches (which is important to me, since i'm only on 200MB data), news feed, and weather widgets. they all make using my phone more convenient.

value: as far as holding value goes, i find that to be misleading; at least in my experience. i got my GS2 for $0.00, while i would have had to purchased an iphone for $199. in a year from now, i am quite certain that the gs2 will still be worth at least $200. that means i put in $0 and can get a minimum of $200 for the phone, while with the iphone 4s, i would have had to pay $170+tax, and i'd be getting back $400ish for it.

there are certain things that iphones do better than androids, but my opinion is that they are insignificant features.. while androids offer significant features that apple hasn't been able to provide. iphones are better than androids out of the box, but with some work in flashing your ROM and some tinkering, the iphone doesn't compare. i don't get why people don't want to put in the work (or pay someone to flash it for you) to get your phone to offer a gazillion more features. what's the point of having this phone then? to have something that looks shiny and pretty?

you said it right there "iPhones are better than Android out of the box."

the average consumer/person in the world is NOT tech-savvy and doesn't care to learn about "tinkering" or doesn't have the time.

people want something that just works for what they need it to do out of the box. that's what Apple does really well. the difference between the 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S are very clear. unlike the MANY Android phones. Apple's phones are all high quality, functional, attractive, intuitive and easy to use.

same goes with Macs. they all come with the same software and somewhat similar hardware. also all have the same build quality.

mrsir2009
Jan 11, 2012, 02:10 AM
iPhone's get so much more support from third parties because there are so few models. Cases, for example, would be much easier to find for an iPhone than for an Android Phone. Whenever you buy any apps or third party accessories for the iPhone you know it'll work exactly like the developer intended because it was built for the exact phone that you have. There are dozens of Android phones on sale at any point in time, so that reliability and support from third parties isn't as good.

wharzhee
Jan 11, 2012, 07:32 AM
you said it right there "iPhones are better than Android out of the box."

the average consumer/person in the world is NOT tech-savvy and doesn't care to learn about "tinkering" or doesn't have the time.

people want something that just works for what they need it to do out of the box. that's what Apple does really well. the difference between the 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S are very clear. unlike the MANY Android phones. Apple's phones are all high quality, functional, attractive, intuitive and easy to use.

kudos.

Savor
Jan 13, 2012, 05:32 AM
One small detail I like about iPhones over MOST Androids is how the speaker is located at the bottom. Some may not like this or dislike obscuring the lone speaker while holding it in landscape mode.

But for me, it is the better placement on the bottom than on the back like most Androids and even WP phones have. My phones are next to me in bed and I like to listen to tunes. I am listening to FM radio right now on the Focus but have to lie it on top of another phone because the speaker gets muffled if it lies on its back. I refuse to put it face down because I need to look at the screen once in awhile. The bottom placement of the iPhone is perfect for me as the speaker is facing me closer.

Why the iPhone's Speaker is on the bottom
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/11/02/iphone-speaker-bottom/

cynics
Jan 13, 2012, 08:49 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc5200-443e-4eed.jpg

cynics
Jan 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
One small detail I like about iPhones over MOST Androids is how the speaker is located at the bottom. Some may not like this or dislike obscuring the lone speaker while holding it in landscape mode.

But for me, it is the better placement on the bottom than on the back like most Androids and even WP phones have. My phones are next to me in bed and I like to listen to tunes. I am listening to FM radio right now on the Focus but have to lie it on top of another phone because the speaker gets muffled if it lies on its back. I refuse to put it face down because I need to look at the screen once in awhile. The bottom placement of the iPhone is perfect for me as the speaker is facing me closer.

Why the iPhone's Speaker is on the bottom
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/11/02/iphone-speaker-bottom/

I agree I like the speaker placement a lot.

cynics
Jan 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
Apple can charge more for identical apps made by the same developer. So there's that. :)

blackhand1001
Jan 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
Audio quality. Sure it is a phone, but for a phone the audio quality through decent headphones is very enjoyable compared to android phones.

Don't really get why samsung, htc, moto etc overlook the sound department. Samsung did good with galaxy s then back tracked on their new gen phones.

And sony needs to put that walkman audio chip in their xperia phones. It sucks that if i use an android phone i need to carry an ipod nano. Completely destroys the convenience of using one device on the go.

You realize there are android phones (samsung galaxy s and varients, nexus s) that use the wolfson dac, which is much better than the one apple uses in the iphone/ipods.

sentinelsx
Jan 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
You realize there are android phones (samsung galaxy s and varients, nexus s) that use the wolfson dac, which is much better than the one apple uses in the iphone/ipods.

And you realize that since the galaxy s family (which includes the nexus s hardware wise) the wolfson DAC has been absent in both samsung and non-samsung high-end products and replaced with crappy offerings.

So what are my choices then for decent audio for a phone?

Vell843
Jan 16, 2012, 06:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

IMessage

cynics
Jan 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

IMessage

You can send messages via google voice which has been around forever. It's not limited to just android like iMessage is with apple, you can use it on any device or computer. Not only that but it can enable android tablets to make phone calls VoIP and probably the iPad to but that may require jb.

lordofthereef
Jan 16, 2012, 07:58 PM
You can send messages via google voice which has been around forever. It's not limited to just android like iMessage is with apple, you can use it on any device or computer. Not only that but it can enable android tablets to make phone calls VoIP and probably the iPad to but that may require jb.

On most carriers, you do have to get a googlevoice specific number, though. For many people, that is not an option.

Badrottie
Jan 16, 2012, 08:30 PM
Never mind because AustinIllini says "Double negatives. This doesn't make sense."

So I had to delete it….Have a good day.

Sdahe
Jan 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
iPhone simply works

adnbek
Jan 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
Get updates and support to the phone for at least the next 2 years.
(http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support)

Smooth, non-jerky or laggy performance. Easier to use. Intuitive, cleaner interface.

Stock music/podcast app better than anything offered on Android.

Apps available on both platforms are usually more polished on iOS and get updated more frequently.

Better resell value, because Apple has a 1-year release cycle and due to their older phones still getting updates and support (see above). On Android, it is not uncommon to see your phone rendered obsolete only 3-4 months down the line because the manufacturers insist on pumping out new models at a frightening pace. GSIII and Droid 4 anyone?

No bloatware added by manufacturer or carrier.

adnbek
Jan 16, 2012, 11:29 PM
Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc5200-443e-4eed.jpg)

Haha, I LOLed at this.

But what's this "Open advanced options" bar you have there? Don't have that.

Prototypical
Jan 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
(http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support)

Smooth, non-jerky or laggy performance. Easier to use. Intuitive, cleaner interface.

Apps available on both platforms are usually more polished on iOS and get updated more frequently.

Better resell value, because Apple has a 1-year release cycle and due to their older phones still getting updates and support (see above). On Android, it is not uncommon to see your phone rendered obsolete only 3-4 months down the line because the manufacturers insist on pumping out new models at a frightening pace. GSIII and Droid 4 anyone?

I think my original Droid was worth $8 on Gazelle, in nearly perfect condition. I bought it MAYBE 18 months ago. :rolleyes:

adnbek
Jan 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
I think my original Droid was worth $8 on Gazelle, in nearly perfect condition. I bought it MAYBE 18 months ago. :rolleyes:

Haha, that sucks dude.

I mention the Droid 4 specifically due to an article I had read a few days ago. The Droid 3 had just come out a few months ago and the retail price has already been slashed to $99 because of the upcoming Droid 4. Sad.

Anybody interested in a Droid 4 should hold out for just a few months because its price should drop by summer when the 5 comes out.

BoxerGT2.5
Jan 17, 2012, 01:16 PM

iOS 5 on the OG ipad made that POS slow, jerky, and I've seen more apps crash on the thing then any device I've ever owned. Pretty sure the 3G didn't run as smooth when iOS4 came out either.

AustinIllini
Jan 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
what can an ANDROID phone do that an iPhone can't

No Photo timer
No Face detection
No Animated wallpaper

Double negatives. This doesn't make sense.

cynics
Jan 17, 2012, 02:21 PM
Haha, I LOLed at this.

But what's this "Open advanced options" bar you have there? Don't have that.

I used that for the embedded image but the pic isn't showing (on my phone at least). When I click it gives me an error. Don't know if the image was showing for anyone else so I just put a link too.

Seems like I can never see linked pics in tapatalk. Haven't really cared enough to investigate it lol

HeyGreggie
Jan 17, 2012, 02:29 PM
I know this will sound dumb, but I enjoy the fact that the plug/charger is at the BOTTOM of the phone. Android had a shittie habit of puttinf the microusb port on the bottom side of the phone, which, for a person attempting to hold the phone while charging... :mad:

adnbek
Jan 17, 2012, 02:32 PM
iOS 5 on the OG ipad made that POS slow, jerky, and I've seen more apps crash on the thing then any device I've ever owned. Pretty sure the 3G didn't run as smooth when iOS4 came out either.

Yeah that is true. That is due to the limited hardware on those specific devices (low ram on iPad and slow cpu on 3G).

But I find it even worse when the hardware is more than capable but the interface is still bogged down and choppy because of pre-installed bloatware, manufacturer skins (moto blur being the worst) or simply because the OS isn't optimized to take full advantage of the specific hardware.

----------

I used that for the embedded image but the pic isn't showing (on my phone at least). When I click it gives me an error. Don't know if the image was showing for anyone else so I just put a link too.

Seems like I can never see linked pics in tapatalk. Haven't really cared enough to investigate it lol

No, I'm referring to the "Open advanced options" bar in the screenshot, right above your keyboard. I don't have that on my keyboard.

HeyGreggie
Jan 17, 2012, 02:32 PM

So does having google voice AND iMessage for the iphone make it better? Because I'm certain android doesnt have iMessage. So..:confused:

BoxerGT2.5
Jan 17, 2012, 02:40 PM
It makes a better paper weight. Some Samsung phones are pretty light.

----------

Yeah that is true. That is due to the limited hardware on those specific devices (low ram on iPad and slow cpu on 3G).

But I find it even worse when the hardware is more than capable but the interface is still bogged down and choppy because of pre-installed bloatware, manufacturer skins (moto blur being the worst) or simply because the OS isn't optimized to take full advantage of the specific hardware.

----------

No, I'm referring to the "Open advanced options" bar in the screenshot, right above your keyboard. I don't have that on my keyboard.

Ok, but saying apple supports past devices by simply shoving software on the thing that ultimately makes the phone worse, isn't a selling point.

That open advanced options bar is for tapatalk.

alksion
Jan 17, 2012, 03:35 PM

One year after the Evo 4G came out, no one would even consider $90 for it. I had the original box, all original accessories and a case. I ended up selling it back to Sprint for $80.. And that is here in Los Angeles where Craigslist is always hot! Lol..

Honestly I had my Evo fully rooted and running a personally customized ROM, but it never worked the way I wanted it to. It was a cool phone don't get me wrong, but it has nothing on the smoothness I get from my iPhone.

People always tell me, well Macs and iPhones are for people that don't know how to customize or make changes manually, they aren't for skilled people.

I think this is just wrong. Before I switched to Apple, I had built many custom gaming PC's and had numerous Android phones. My life was all about the PC and Android.

But let me say this.. Even if I know how to customize and make everything "just work" the way I want it to. Why am I paying a company $$$ to give me a product that I have to customize just to get it to work right.

When I pay big $$$, I expect programers, engineers, and developers to do all the thinking for me. If I want to tinker into my enthusiast side, then I might consider a custom built PC or Android, but that is strictly for a hobby.

Simply put, nothing I have used has been up to par with what Apple comes up with in Cupertino. Will it always be like that, maybe, but probably not. If another company comes up with something that is leaps ahead of what Apple is producing, I will gladly make the switch. Eg - Windos phone 7 is pretty cool actually.

Remember you can usually test a product for 30 days and exchange it if you want to.

cynics
Jan 17, 2012, 04:38 PM
Native visual voice mail. Not really much but it's nice to see stock!

cynics
Jan 17, 2012, 05:03 PM
So does having google voice AND iMessage for the iphone make it better? Because I'm certain android doesnt have iMessage. So..:confused:

You are ignoring I quoted someone. Yes iMessage AND gv both is better. IF gv didn't make iMessage pointless to begin with.

Yes it's nice native assuming everyone you text has an iPhone just like native visual voicemail like I mentioned.

You are correct in following the thread of what the iPhone has that android doesn't, I'm not arguing that.

bearsalley34
Jan 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
this is kind of a bias place to post this, don't you think?

Badrottie
Jan 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
Double negatives. This doesn't make sense.

Ok thank you..I will delete.