Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

rover.jpg

Engadget points out this interesting Rover App-Controlled Spy Tank from Brookstone.

This remote control tank drives around will sending back live audio and video from the device. It has both a built in mic, video camera, and even night vision. Wireless connectivity is over Wi-Fi which gives you a range of 200 ft unobstructed, or 100 ft around walls and into other rooms.

No word on battery life, but the device is powered by 6 AA batteries and costs $149.99. The control App is a free download off the App Store and runs on iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch (2nd, 3rd and 4th gen).

Article Link: Rover 'Spy Tank' Wirelessly Controlled by Your iPhone or iPad

Last edited:

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I like this better

I like this design better then the 3 wheeled Rovio. It is just to bad the camera wasn't adjustable like the Rovio.

It also looks a lot like the "Spy Gear Spy Video TRAKR".

Plas00

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sweet, I would like to give it a try. Also it would be great if it operated on 3G.

HalliHH

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Is that an iPhone5 we can see in second 31 and again in second 36? Doesn´t look like any previous models.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Presumably it has an unadvertised extendable arm feature, otherwise I'm sort of left wondering how the tanks managed to choose which floor to travel to when they all entered the elevator alone.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I like this design better then the 3 wheeled Rovio. It is just to bad the camera wasn't adjustable like the Rovio.

It also looks a lot like the "Spy Gear Spy Video TRAKR".
I looked up the Rovio after your post and I agree with you, I prefer this design. The Rovio does have one big feature that I would want though that this doesn't have: a docking station. These things are great toys but the only almost practical reason I could come up to justify buying one (and I admit that I'm clutching at straws a bit) is to be able to have a quick look around my home when I'm away on holiday, just to check that nothing's on fire, leaking, broken into, or even how much mail has piled up on my doormat. It would be annoying if the battery life was so short so that it could only manage one of these inspection tours while I was away. Rechargeable batteries and the ability to put it back on the docking station at the end of a mission would be a valuable feature that would give it an effectively unlimited battery life.

- Julian

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re brookstone

are they still in business?
man last time i saw them was in a mall years ago
and way over-priced goofy gadgets
i'll pass

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Cool concept, fun for a toy.

1.) Why are some random individuals sneaking into some corporate building taking photos of their electrical room. TERRORISTS

2.) I wonder how noisy it is

3.) Is it a point to point WiFi (is the bot broadcasting a WiFi connection) or do you need to connect it to a preexisiting network (seems stupid if you do)

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I saw people asking for 3G compatibility, but I didn't get why. I finally figured out that you can use this from anywhere in the world.

I sometimes think about putting a web camera in my house to see what my dogs are up to when I'm not home. This thing would even let me chase them around. :)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
While this looks fun, I wouldn't want to spend that much money on it.

If you've got an iPhone and either an iPad/Mac/second iPhone then there's a far cheaper option. Not as rugged but capable of 3G.

1. Dig out old remote control car/truck from loft.
2. Use elastic bands / blu-tack / tape to attach iPhone 4 to remote control car.
3. Initiate FaceTime call between iPhone and iPad/Mac/second iPhone.
4. Drive.

To be honest, that was precisely the first thing I did when the iPhone 4 came out and I repeated the game when FaceTime for Mac came out too (bigger screen, pumped through to my TV. It didn't cost me a penny since I already had all the Apple stuff and old remote control car. Two way audio too. Bonus is you could probably try this with Skype over 3G if you want although the lag might be a little more noticeable.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
re brookstone

are they still in business?
man last time i saw them was in a mall years ago
and way over-priced goofy gadgets
i'll pass

They closed down their local store. Got two things there that failed, emailed for parts and no response. This tank may be different, but I would investigate unless $150 is throwaway money for you.

toyrobots

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
lots of bugs...

This thing is just an "okay" platform and product. Fun for my 8yo, but not upgradable or worth the effort to modify. We had reception issues from just one room to the next and the motors seem quite cheap (left side motor seems defective as after just a few hours of use it suffered a performance decrease and not tends to yaw that direction w/o constant counter adjusting). After googling the TRAKR, this is a surprisingly similiar design and would seem a better fit for a toy store and a market directed at kids. Great gift for the amateur kid intereted in rc cars with cool features.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
OMG I WANT AN IPAD SO I CAN DO THAT EVEN THOUGH I CAN PROBABLY PROGRAM MY COMPUTER TO CONTROL MULTIPLE SPY TANKS AND WRITE A PROGRAM WITH AI TO CONTROL THEM TO DO ALL MY SNOOPING WHILE I AM OFF DOING OTHER THINGS!

but doing it with an iPad would feel so much more legit!

bgrymes

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
b11051973,
Can you talk about your findings? I'd love to do the same while at work and the dog at home.

I saw people asking for 3G compatibility, but I didn't get why. I finally figured out that you can use this from anywhere in the world.

I sometimes think about putting a web camera in my house to see what my dogs are up to when I'm not home. This thing would even let me chase them around. :)

martidav

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
It's a WAP, sets up on 192.168.1.100 port 80

So it WAP accessed via web, like any other WAP.

However, as mentioned above, one controls it w/ their app.

I would like to know the user id credentials passed back and forth.

When you connect via a PC, one is queried for the user id and pass.

I would like to know this. I don't have a sniffer. At least, I don't know how to conjure one up w/ the tools at hand.

Regards,
D

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
You need to get the best quality and the true information?
Get to out software and buy it, get the best working service and feel that availability of the personal information of your spouse!
- It was never that simple to track your mate and to maintain their locations!
- Our software works on different cell phones, different platforms.
- You need to check for the software support and if it really fits that system install that one to the needed cell phone!
- So get your information and feel that truth form having all those hidden materials!

Talk about thread necromancy...

Also, that's a pretty creepy bit of software and an even creepier post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.