Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genu1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hi Guys, The Battlefield 3 Beta will start tomorrow!
I will try it on my maxed out 2011 iMac and I am wondering if I should install the custom graphics drivers that AMD created just for this Game. Whats your take? Any experience with custom drivers on Bootcamp? ;)

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I will try it on my maxed out 2011 iMac and I am wondering if I should install the custom graphics drivers that AMD created just for this Game. Whats your take? Any experience with custom drivers on Bootcamp? ;)

I use the AMD drivers rather than the bootcamp ones and it does yield better performance, any tweaks like that can effect battery life though just as over clocking would. Personally I would always rather use the manufacturer drivers than the bog standard apple ones since they actually get updated.

Mulperi

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
I have the mid-2011 cheapest 27" iMac model.

Any idea how well it will perform? GPU is 6770M.
Bad Company 2 runs pretty well in medium settings and 1280x720 resolution.

Last edited:

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Give it a go with what you have right now. If there are issues, then i would say go ahead and get something new. From what I heard, the AMD optimized drivers for the beta arn't out there yet, if at all. I know when I was playing the Alpha, I had to grab some beta drivers from Nvidia, so don't double down on the extra work if you don't have to.

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK

From what the Dev have said you wont have a chance in hell in maxing out the engine on your mac.

To use the "Ultra settings" you need at least top end GTX in SLI mode.

Kimbie

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The Beta is available now should you have a code or have pre ordered on Origin. I will be playing it on PS3 so will download it when i get home from work! Happy gaming!

genu1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I wont be able to test it before tomorrow. It would be interesting to review machine specs and game settings if your are playing the beta on your mac. Enjoy the game!

themat

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2008
Manchester, UK
With everything on low it runs like absolute **** on my Late 2010 13" MBP - to be expected really but never mind. Definitely not playable.

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
From what the Dev have said you wont have a chance in hell in maxing out the engine on your mac.

To use the "Ultra settings" you need at least top end GTX in SLI mode.

Kimbie

False, running it on all ultra, everything enabled on a GTX 570 at 1920x1080.

Getting 60+ FPS too.

Last edited:

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
PS3 version seems OK, but thats it, its no great innovation or anything from what I can see. The graphics are pretty poor but the lighting and sound are excellent. Not a fan of the map or mode they have chosen for the beta.

Albern

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
I am getting excited about this game and i have checked the real specification about this game so guys thanks to all of you.

JasonH42

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010

The "bootcamp" drivers are just old AMD drivers. 11.7 works well for BFBC2/BF3, I got very poor performance with the allegedly optimised 11.10 preview drivers.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The PS3 and xbox versions dont look anywhere near meeting the hype, I want to see if something mid range like my iMac 2010 below can beat out the PS3 for performance in this game.

The PS3 manages 30fps at a resolution just below 1280x720, textures look very bland and trees look like cardboard cut outs.

If that iMac or my laptop can outperform the console I may get this on windows, has anyone tried it on similar hardware yet?

waiwai

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Florida
I played BETA all day yesterday. I am running it at max 2560x1440 resolution with everything on max, but no AA (this will most definitely cut my fps down a lot, for minimal graphical enhancements). Run's like a charm, no hiccups even in screen full of stuff blowing up and bullets flying all over the place and smoke and everything. lighting and bloom and everything in this game is amazing.

My specs:

Late 2010 Mac Pro
Bootcamp Win7 64 Bit
2.8 Ghz Quad - Turbo to 3.2
6GB RAM
5870 1GB VC
500GB Seagate Hybrid Drive

I can't check FPS... but I didn't notice any dips in fps during full scale gun fights, plays extremely smooth. I'm running the latest ATI Catalyst driver (I think it came out in July) and all bootcamp drivers are updated. Not using any other custom drivers of any sort.

P.S. This game will RAPE MW3 no doubt about it.

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
Someone else mentioned this, but the Beta doesn't have the full graphical enhancements that the full version will have. Test it: turn the settings to Ultra ... it looks NO different than High.

That said, running it at "High" (whatever that actually is) looks really nice on my MP (2.8 oct, 10 GB, 5870). FPS seems to be 60+.

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
Repost from another thread...

It's running great for me! Very smooth so far, but I haven't tried messing with the settings so it's all set to low and 1280x800 for now. Looks great still. From what I can tell I should be able to play at probably near medium.

MacBook Pro 17" (mid 2010) Windows 7 32-bit
Core i5 2.53Ghz
GT 330M 512MB VRAM 285.38 beta drivers
4GB RAM (2.2 free for the game)

:apple:

eggplanty

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
Here's my system specs

27" iMac
8gb Ram
6970m 1gb ram

My question is if anyone here is using a computer with the same or very similar specs and has tried the BF3 open beta, and if so how is that running for you?

genu1ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Im running it on the latest iMac i5 with 2GB 6970 Card. Runs fine in 1920x1080 with Ultra Settings. I just read that you can see the FPS when you click alt+ctrl+s ingame. Gonna try this tomorrow.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Runs smooth on my i3 2100 plus 6950 AMD RAdeon vid card at whatever default settings the beta dialed up for me.

Haven't checked to see what settings it defaulted too. Looked pretty good though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.