PDA

View Full Version : macboo pro - i feel it more snappy...?

imHappy
Sep 26, 2011, 11:39 AM
hey guys,

i somehow feel my friends 2011 macbook pro 13"... a bit more snappier than my 2010 ultimate macbook air when opening programs, etc(not comparing it with cpu-intensive task).

his mbp doesn't have an SSD installed like my air does.

so besides an ssd being more safe(which i know is really important) i feel both HDD and SSD really responsive and fast. Still i should compare the boot time to see there is any noticeable differnece.

is this normal? i mean do people exagerate when they say the mba feels more snappy for everyday tasks than its counterpart, the macbook pro?

pgiguere1
Sep 26, 2011, 11:52 AM
They probably mean the 2011 MBA. The 2010 had a slow processor that didn't really compare with the MBP. This time around your storage is more likely to be the bottleneck when opening applications, since the processor is very decent.

Also, if you only have 2GB of RAM, that may slow down you MBA as well. It takes more time to open an application if your RAM has to page out to your SSD, while you friend's MBP can load everything into the RAM in a single shot.

imHappy
Sep 26, 2011, 12:17 PM
i have the 2010 one. ultimate. core2duo 2.16ghz and 4gb ram :)

hefeglass
Sep 26, 2011, 12:42 PM
^well what the heck do you expect?

its an older machine...and its an air vs a pro..

your SSD would only make a diff in booting apps (sometimes)

Queen6
Sep 26, 2011, 12:59 PM
The new 2011 Air will "Smoke" the MBP opening basic applications, the MBP will only catch up on heavy CPU use and graphics, just go to an Apple store and you will see the i5 Air and SSD combination is far faster to open apps than even the i7 Quad Cores with HD ;)

jsolares
Sep 26, 2011, 01:26 PM
hey guys,

i somehow feel my friends 2011 macbook pro 13"... a bit more snappier than my 2010 ultimate macbook air when opening programs, etc(not comparing it with cpu-intensive task).

his mbp doesn't have an SSD installed like my air does.

so besides an ssd being more safe(which i know is really important) i feel both HDD and SSD really responsive and fast. Still i should compare the boot time to see there is any noticeable differnece.

is this normal? i mean do people exagerate when they say the mba feels more snappy for everyday tasks than its counterpart, the macbook pro?

The 13" MBP will be snappier for everything except disk access