PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MBA - Faint 'white' horizonatal lines middle of screen

minnus
Sep 26, 2011, 02:54 PM
Something is very odd with my MBA. Of the three MBAs I had, the last two (which includes my current one), developed faint lines in the middle of the screen. The lines are seemingly light-bleeding issues, as different angles would result in the white lines shifting dark.

Edit: Dropped off at apple store.

minnus
Sep 26, 2011, 04:47 PM
After running the screen saver for about 9 hours, the issues are still present. I will attempt to upload pictures in a few.

minnus
Sep 26, 2011, 05:01 PM
Anyone else having similar issues?

minnus
Sep 27, 2011, 09:42 AM
Upon closer inspection, it is the imprint of the area between the trackpad and keyboard.

I find it odd that I am the only one that experiences this - no one else?

NutsNGum
Sep 27, 2011, 09:55 AM
I have been very busy as of late, and have not used my MBA at all, and was quite shocked to discover this...again. It probably sat unused for about 5 days.

Firstly, what did you buy it for, a paperweight?

Secondly, I have experienced nothing like this on my Air, did you close it while it was hot or whilst the fans were blowing hard?

minnus
Sep 27, 2011, 10:02 AM
Firstly, what did you buy it for, a paperweight?

Secondly, I have experienced nothing like this on my Air, did you close it while it was hot or whilst the fans were blowing hard?

lol, I need to set up the machine before I can use it productively. The act of setting up requires time, as well as additional peripherals (my mini-display to displayport adapter came in yesterday).

Anyways - I have used it in clamshell mode before, but to be more specific, the areas the line appear line up with the gap between the trackpad and spacebar. It does not get hot in those areas.

Buzzby
Sep 27, 2011, 03:09 PM
Hello,

Just joined this forum to say I just noticed this same problem on my MacBook Air today...Very annoyed, and just like yourself, I have not put any excessive force on it what so ever (its only been out of the house twice!)

I'm taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow, I'll update you on what they say.

http://i.imgur.com/ZHZ6K.jpg

minnus
Sep 27, 2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks Buzzby - I thought I was the only one at this point.

minnus
Sep 29, 2011, 12:46 PM
I just dropped mine off at the Apple Store. It will take them about a week to replace the screen :(

nipponfan
Sep 30, 2011, 03:32 AM
What kind of screen was it? Lg or samsung?

minnus
Sep 30, 2011, 09:19 AM
I mentioned in my OP that I had another with the same issue. That one was a LG. This most recent one was a Samsung.

Buzzby
Oct 11, 2011, 06:07 PM
Took mine back last week, just waiting for the call to say it's finished! Hope it doesn't occur again.

Buzzby
Oct 23, 2011, 08:38 AM
Had my replacement screen for just over a week..and I have the exact same problem! Back it goes :(

Beyonder
Oct 23, 2011, 11:04 PM
I bought the 13" Macair about 2 months ago, and have discovered the exact same lines on my screen - in the same location.
When I have white screen, it doesn't really disturb, but when I watch a movie or something it becomes more visible and frankly annoys me, because I have been extra careful with it.

I am considering taking it to the Apple store next weekend, but would be interested to read other peoples' experiences first, whether it is possible to get a replacement screen, how long it would take, whether applecare covers this etc...

GekkePrutser
Oct 24, 2011, 05:39 AM
I've seen this happen on Dell Latitudes in the early 2000's, the ones we had in work always had one of those TrackPoint thingys on the keyboard as well as the trackpad, and that TrackPoint was like a millimetre too high so it touched the screen every time it was closed.

After about a year everyone had a big pale spot in the middle of the screen, except for me because I removed the rubber cover of the TrackPoint stick the first day I got the laptop - I hate those things, never use them anyway and they're in the way when typing.

Anyway what I wanted to say is that I've definitely seen these kinds of blotches after continued pressure on certain areas of the screen. Didn't think it would happen so soon though, those Dells only got it after a year or more. This must have been only 1 or 2 months since it's the 2011 model.

Were these all 13"'s by the way? I'd say they'd be more prone to this because there's more flex in the screen (due to the larger surface)

monkeywriter
Oct 30, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have the same problem on my MBA 13". I'm in London and have had it for about 3 weeks now. Just started to notice it - especially when watching a really dark film like Buried.

Has anyone had any success at getting it fixed? Am a bit wary at leaving my lovely laptop for anyone to take apart, even Apple store... and I use it all the time so would really miss it...

joshuk
Nov 6, 2011, 04:55 PM
I have exactly the same issue. Infact I find this a bit unacceptable. As much as I like Apple, I think this is a design flaw. I took it to my local Apple store today and they were speaking as if this is my fault?!?!

They asked me: Do you take it around a lot?
I answered: Of course I do! Isn't this the whole point in the MacBook AIR?

Then they asked me: Did you apply any pressure to it? The pressure will cause the display to be pressed against the bit between the spacebar and the trackpad and this will make an imprint on the display. (He was saying this as he was pressing on the display with the lid closed and I could actually see it bend in the middle even with Incase snap case around it.......)
I answered: No, I'm so careful with my £1300 MacBook Air thank you very much. Infact can't you see that I have an Incase Perforated snap case and a dedicated laptop bag for it? I think this is stupid and this is surely a design flaw. Even if pressure was applied somehow through my many layers of protection, does a bit of pressure make an imprint on the screen permanently on a £1300 laptop? This is totally ridiculous.

They said: We'll 'LET YOU OFF THIS TIME'. Allow us 7 days to order the parts and once we have it, we'll call you to bring in the laptop and from then it could take another 7-14 days.
I answer: :mad::mad::mad::mad: The laptop is 3 months old and I've never even put a piece of paper on top of it. Also, this is my ONLY computer and I'm a final year student studying Computer Science (I have a lot of work to do on my MacBook......). Am I going to be laptop-less for a few weeks because of a stupid little design flaw?

They said: This is all we can do for you I'm afraid. In fact, this isn't really supposed to be covered by AppleCare as this is an external factor so this will be a one off but if this happens again, we can't do the same.

I'm absolutely furious at their reaction to this.

All MacBook Air owners may want to check their display using a BLACK background. See my photo attached on how it looks when affected.

The 2 white lines are the lines caused by the bit between the space and the touchpad and the 2 black vertical lines are the lines caused by the sides of the touchpad.

BASICALLY, ANYBODY USING A MACBOOK AIR, DON'T CARRY IT AROUND AND DON'T USE IT OR RISK APPLE BLAMING YOU AND LOSING YOUR MONEY!

Pinkstiletto66
Nov 6, 2011, 07:19 PM
I too would like to know if this its only a thirteen inch problem. I Pam on getting the eleven inch.

Beyonder
Nov 6, 2011, 11:11 PM
Thank you for the feedback on this. I have been holding off of going to the Apple shop, as I wanted some information like this first. Also, the shop is 2 hours by train from here, so I wanted to know if they'd exchange it, or what other users have experienced in this case.

In the meantime, I have noticed, that when I leave the screen open for a few days, the lines become less pronounced/weaker. So, for me, it is not something that comes from carrying it around, it seems to be simply the pressure of the display itself onto the keys, which is causing the imprint. :-0

Clearly this is a design flaw, and while I guess I could live with it, I feel it is clearly unacceptable for a 2K USD device. But I might be delusional?

Also, I am wondering if other users could take a look at their 13" screens (with a dark background). I would like to know if this is an unusual issue, or whether it is frequent. Basically, if this is a common problem, then exchanging the screen might not even solve it.

Cheers from Japan!

carlosbutler
Nov 7, 2011, 06:46 AM
I would say to anyone that is thinking of asking for a replacement to not bother going to most of the Apple stores in the UK. The so called 'genius' bars are useless.

The members of staff treat you like your an Amish person - never having seen a computer in your life and essentially ignore anything you say if it is negative, or in someway shows there is some flaw in any of the precious Apple products.

I am not being prejudice as I have unfortunately had to go in to these stores (one of six (somehow!?!?) macs that is in the house hold) - and now deal only with AppleCare over the phone or premium resellers as they are actually normal people that are helpful

Pinkstiletto66
Nov 7, 2011, 03:31 PM
Whats the word on the replacement screens? I'd really hate to buy a new comp to have to take it in for a replacement screen.

NutsNGum
Nov 7, 2011, 04:17 PM
I would say to anyone that is thinking of asking for a replacement to not bother going to most of the Apple stores in the UK. The so called 'genius' bars are useless.

The members of staff treat you like your an Amish person - never having seen a computer in your life and essentially ignore anything you say if it is negative, or in someway shows there is some flaw in any of the precious Apple products.

I am not being prejudice as I have unfortunately had to go in to these stores (one of six (somehow!?!?) macs that is in the house hold) - and now deal only with AppleCare over the phone or premium resellers as they are actually normal people that are helpful

I don't agree that it's always the case that they're useless. It depends on who you get. I've had idiots that have been no help and in the same place, people who have been excellent and gone out of their way to help me.

And the thing is, if you're in the UK and you call AppleCare, they'll often just refer you to the Genius Bar to get it looked at anyway.

I do however agree that the phone personnel generally are more helpful on aggregate than the in-store staff, they'll at least humour you to some extent when the Genius Bar would just tell you to jump.

carlosbutler
Nov 7, 2011, 06:15 PM
I don't agree that it's always the case that they're useless. It depends on who you get. I've had idiots that have been no help and in the same place, people who have been excellent and gone out of their way to help me.

And the thing is, if you're in the UK and you call AppleCare, they'll often just refer you to the Genius Bar to get it looked at anyway.

I do however agree that the phone personnel generally are more helpful on aggregate than the in-store staff, they'll at least humour you to some extent when the Genius Bar would just tell you to jump.

To be honest you are right - I only thought of the rubbishy times (which are more than that useful times), but when it has been useful the genius bar people were very nice and useful sorting (normally replacing) what has broken.

Coarseman
Nov 8, 2011, 04:14 PM
I bought the 13" Macair about 2 months ago, and have discovered the exact same lines on my screen - in the same location.
When I have white screen, it doesn't really disturb, but when I watch a movie or something it becomes more visible and frankly annoys me, because I have been extra careful with it.

Same story here.

Same problem,same lines,same location...dammit!:mad::mad::mad:

Mr. Retrofire
Nov 8, 2011, 04:49 PM
What kind of screen was it? Lg or samsung?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13189516#post13189516

...gives you the model name of your display. Then use a google search to find the manufacturer info (LG or Samsung).

A little OT, but:
Has someone the same problem on a 13" MBP?

Pinkstiletto66
Nov 8, 2011, 05:04 PM
Good question but I doubt the pro would have the issue. I think its due to the thinness.

Framinator
Nov 10, 2011, 12:13 AM
I too have this issue. I think that it is poor engineering for this to happen so easily. I have had my air for less than 2 months, and I already see these lines on the screen. I am really nice to this thing too, it does not have a scratch on it, and it is always in a case.

Have others been having luck getting the screen replaced?

pollaxe
Nov 10, 2011, 04:06 AM
And another one..

I first noticed this last week, two faint lines appeared when I was logging on and the screen was dark. My normal wallpaper is quite light, so I didn't think too much about it until I saw this thread..

I've changed my wallpaper to solid black and adjusting the brightness and there they are. I too have mollycoddled this MBA and it spends its 'moving' time in a padded bag.

I'm due to go to the Apple Store next Monday but I'm not sure the Genius Bar sounds the right place to go.

Not good. :(

aibo82
Nov 10, 2011, 06:15 AM
Hi

Do you guys clean the keyboard or screen with anything liquid? Sometimes some spray cleaners causes wear and tear on protective coatings.

Coarseman
Nov 10, 2011, 08:20 AM
Hi

Do you guys clean the keyboard or screen with anything liquid? Sometimes some spray cleaners causes wear and tear on protective coatings.

No mate!

It is certainly NOT a problem with the surface of the screen,no.
This is some kind of damage to the back side of the display causing light leaks in a very specific area.

No problems when the background is light for me,I only see it when it is dark-movies etc.

Devastated.....the first EVER Apple product I have an issue/problem with...:mad::mad::mad:

aibo82
Nov 10, 2011, 09:18 AM
No mate!

It is certainly NOT a problem with the surface of the screen,no.
This is some kind of damage to the back side of the display causing light leaks in a very specific area.

No problems when the background is light for me,I only see it when it is dark-movies etc.

Devastated.....the first EVER Apple product I have an issue/problem with...:mad::mad::mad:

OK

yeah I seen this before with old IBM stinkpads its pressure marks from the keyboard or backside of the panel chassis ether there is a bulge in the keyboard pressing onto the display, or something has been resting on top causing the display to flex onto the keys of the keyboard.

You will see it on most LCD's if you have a black screen then press the panel in places the back-light will bleed through, what's happened in this case spots of it have become permanently visible as the Liquid crystal has been pushed out the way by a long exposure to internal or external pressure!

So make sure nothing rests on top in a bag or elsewhere on your macbook air and make sure there case isn't buckled or keyboard arcs.

:) sometimes thinness is to thin!

nipponfan
Nov 13, 2011, 06:14 AM
I got my Air replaced due to a similar problem with a vertical line along the screen. I got it like this so it was def. not my fault. See here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1235261&highlight=

Unfortunately, my replacement unit shows these same horizontal lines after a few weeks. I guess this happens, when you carry it around surrounding books and other heavy stuff. Usually I clean my keyboard after using, but that didn't seem to help.

Anyway, I suggest people who need to carry around their Air do it in a hard case with nothing else surrounding it. It's definitely a faulty construction due to the thin screen.

As long as it's not getting any worse I'm not going to complain.

aibo82
Nov 13, 2011, 09:12 AM
I was going to get an AIR think I'll skip it now, seems as if the surrounds to flimsy to hold the LCD and the keyboard is to raised to make the case thinner so it ends up pushing on the panel!

Has anyone gently massaged the screen to see if the lines go?

Thanks guys

Beyonder
Nov 13, 2011, 10:35 PM
Just to follow up on this thread:

I just delivered my macbook air 13" to the Genius bar yesterday. They were nice enough and will exchange the screen within the next couple of days (so I am told). Given that I now know how delicate the Air really is, I still am not sure I can avoid this from reappearing again. Surely I shall have to be extremely careful if I lug it into a bag with anything else in it...
Had I known about this earlier I would have bought a Pro, since I am strong enough to lift the extra pound - but do care for a something that is actually 'portable' in its realest sense.

Oh well...live and learn....and I still do like the macbook air.

nipponfan
Nov 14, 2011, 03:11 AM
Just to follow up on this thread:

I just delivered my macbook air 13" to the Genius bar yesterday. They were nice enough and will exchange the screen within the next couple of days (so I am told). Given that I now know how delicate the Air really is, I still am not sure I can avoid this from reappearing again. Surely I shall have to be extremely careful if I lug it into a bag with anything else in it...
Had I known about this earlier I would have bought a Pro, since I am strong enough to lift the extra pound - but do care for a something that is actually 'portable' in its realest sense.

Oh well...live and learn....and I still do like the macbook air.

It will definitely be back as soon as you use it for its primary purpose: being mobile.

monkeywriter
Nov 20, 2011, 05:43 AM
Sounds as though the 11" has a similar problem -
:(

Space bar imprint on MBA 11inch screen does not come off after cleaning

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1271205

deepakvrao
Nov 21, 2011, 04:51 AM
Do you guys think a hard cover like this one below would prevent this issue? Would use it only for travel maybe.

http://www.amazon.com/iPearl-mCover-Shell-Cover-MacBook/dp/B004I4BS1E/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1321872008&sr=1-1

BLACK mCover® Hard Shell Cover Case For NEW 13.3-inch A1369 Apple MacBook Air

NutsNGum
Nov 21, 2011, 10:09 AM
Do you guys think a hard cover like this one below would prevent this issue? Would use it only for travel maybe.

http://www.amazon.com/iPearl-mCover-Shell-Cover-MacBook/dp/B004I4BS1E/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1321872008&sr=1-1

BLACK mCover® Hard Shell Cover Case For NEW 13.3-inch A1369 Apple MacBook Air

They do not. I have had a speck hard case on it since day one, and this has still happened to mine.

I should also note that I've never carried it around with books or anything that would cause pressure to be put on the lid. I deliberately put it in the bag so that the screen side is facing away from any weight. This is quite disappointing.

Minhthien
Nov 21, 2011, 12:16 PM
I wonder if this issue will turn into a re-call for MBA?

NutsNGum
Nov 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
I wonder if this issue will turn into a re-call for MBA?

Not bloody likely if you know Apple -- unless there's an exploding battery in it.

boy-better-know
Nov 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
Wouldn't the extra thickness of a zagg shield stop the lid from closing down and touching the space between the space bar and the trackpad?
I am going to buy one anyway but its just a thought?
Only had my Air for a week and the only reason that i don't have these lines is because i read about the issue before purchasing and decided that I wouldn't close the lid until I get a Zagg protector. Luckily I haven't had to take it anywhere yet. but will soon.surely there must be something we can do to stop it from happening?

NutsNGum
Nov 21, 2011, 12:42 PM
Wouldn't the extra thickness of a zagg shield stop the lid from closing down and touching the space between the space bar and the trackpad?
Only had my Air for a week and the only reason that i don't have these lines is because i read about the issue before purchasing and decided that I wouldn't close the lid until I get a Zagg protector. Luckily I haven't had to take it anywhere yet. but will soon.surely there must be something we can do to stop it from happening?

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

These are maybe worth looking at. Although, not exactly convenient to have to wait up to a couple of weeks for delivery for me, and the damage has already been done now, anyway. I sincerely hope it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg to get this screen replaced.

boy-better-know
Nov 21, 2011, 01:45 PM

These are maybe worth looking at. Although, not exactly convenient to have to wait up to a couple of weeks for delivery for me, and the damage has already been done now, anyway. I sincerely hope it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg to get this screen replaced.
I may just have to purchase one of those.
I promised myself that I wouldn't be OTT about protection with my new macbook but here I go again. Oh well. This time it's Apples' fault :D

Geekbabe
Nov 21, 2011, 03:06 PM
some people had reported issues with certain cases causing screen issues with tablets, would it be possible to lay a thin microfiber cloth over the keyboard before closing the Air to prevent direct contact between the screen & keyboard?

Beyonder
Nov 21, 2011, 07:00 PM

I just got one of those. and its just a dense kinda cloth. If I had used it from the beginning, it might have helped, but as you say its too late now. I am gonna use it though, to prevent the white lines from getting any worse. BTW Apple care did not cover it, they told me that replacing the screen is possible but will cost 115,000 Yen (1,400 USD)... needless to say, that's a bit beyond my financial aspirations. With that price I could almost buy a new one. LOL

So people out there be careful with it, don't travel with your air anywhere unless there is something between screen and keys. Its a nice machine, but its darn delicate.

komoornik
Nov 22, 2011, 12:25 AM

I got Zagg from the beginning - just checked the display, got none of this lines.

deepakvrao
Nov 22, 2011, 12:50 AM
I got Zagg from the beginning - just checked the display, got none of this lines.

Possible to get a link to which Zagg you are using please?

boy-better-know
Nov 22, 2011, 05:13 AM
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-macbook-air-13-inch-3rd-gen-cases-covers-skins-shields.php
I believe he is using that one

pollaxe
Nov 22, 2011, 06:48 AM
I posted earlier that I'd had the same problem. I took mine into a Bristol Apple Store (the same day that I'd reserved my new iPhone 4s) and the Genius was very helpful indeed. He said he'd never seen it before and there proved to be a scratch on the screen which married up with the part of the casing below the keyboard and above the trackpad.

His diagnosis was that it was a casing problem and that they'd have to replace both the screen and at least the upper part of the case too. It's still away being fixed (8 days now) and, having read the experiences here, I'm concerned it'll happen again as I have treated the machine with kid gloves ever since I bought it. (The Genius said - unprompted - 'I can tell you've really looked after it.') I'm going to look into a large microfibre cloth (or something like it) to leave between the screen and keyboard during transport.

The concern about repeat damage aside, I have to say that this was my first experience with the Genius Bar and the guy was really superb indeed, I was impressed. :)

minnus
Dec 18, 2011, 02:08 PM
OP here again -

So back during the original fiasco, I returned the MacBook Air to Amazon for a replacement.

I received a replacement, and all was well till I traveled with it. I noticed the lines appearing and brought it immediately to the Apple Store. They basically blamed it on me for applying too much pressure in it. Regardless, they agreed to fix it under warranty.

Just a couple days ago (after about 3 months of babying the hell out of the machine - aka never taking it outside of home), I returned from an oversea trip, and while I took the utmost precaution as to limit the amount of pressure applied to the MBA during my travels it did me no good (precautions involved not overloading my backpack --- like I can do with any other laptop I've owned, and never putting it down such that the MBA was on the bottom - but on top).

It is now back at the Apple store, hoping that they will fix it. This is a very delicate and fragile machine, and it is only portable if it is the ONLY thing you are carrying around. I thought about looking for a rigid case for it - but that will damn near double the weight and thickness such that I might as well have purchased a macbook pro.

What a flawed concept the macbook air is.

Pekkle
Dec 26, 2011, 06:21 PM
Does this happens on the 2010 MBA? or was this exclusively an issue on the 2011 MBAs?

Oli3000
Dec 26, 2011, 07:32 PM
This happened on my 2010 MBA, and I had the screen replaced - although they suggested it was my fault for placing 'pressure' on the screen when closed... I disagreed.

minnus
Dec 26, 2011, 07:55 PM
This happened on my 2010 MBA, and I had the screen replaced - although they suggested it was my fault for placing 'pressure' on the screen when closed... I disagreed.

What precautions have to taken to prevent damage to the replaced screen?

I can't decide if I want to just sell it -_-

Oli3000
Dec 28, 2011, 03:52 AM
Well, I presumed they were correct even though I couldn't think of any example - but now I am just ultra careful to avoid sandwiching the MBA between anything (i.e. my back and whatever else may be in a bag). Some people go for the screen protector stickers, but I'm too paranoid about applying them perfectly!

bdws1975
Feb 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
Hi all

I'm curious if anyone who had to replace their screen has been successful in keeping it line free and how you did it? I plan to carry my MBA in a backpack and want to avoid this issue.

Thanks

Brett

minnus
Feb 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
Hi all

I'm curious if anyone who had to replace their screen has been successful in keeping it line free and how you did it? I plan to carry my MBA in a backpack and want to avoid this issue.

Thanks

Brett

So far, I've had great success with using a Razer Kabuto mouse pad. I can't comment on any other clothes as I've never used them though. I went with the Kabuto mouse pad because it was only $13 shipped, versus others that are in the lower 20s.

bdws1975
Feb 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
So far, I've had great success with using a Razer Kabuto mouse pad. I can't comment on any other clothes as I've never used them though. I went with the Kabuto mouse pad because it was only $13 shipped, versus others that are in the lower 20s.

Thanks for the reply. Do you still carry it in a backpack?

Brett

minnus
Feb 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Yep, I carry it around in a messenger bag. I am also super paranoid though, which might attribute to my success in not damaging the screen. I am always conscious of how my bag is positioned and how much pressure is on the MBA. The moments when I do forget though (like putting down the bag with the MBA on the bottom), the cloth saves the day.

bdws1975
Feb 11, 2012, 07:53 PM
Yep, I carry it around in a messenger bag. I am also super paranoid though, which might attribute to my success in not damaging the screen. I am always conscious of how my bag is positioned and how much pressure is on the MBA. The moments when I do forget though (like putting down the bag with the MBA on the bottom), the cloth saves the day.

Thanks again. I'm headed to best buy to pick one up.

Brett

citivolus
Feb 13, 2012, 10:33 AM
I just saw this thread now after I had my problem resolved--wish I saw it earlier to confirm I wasn't imagining things!

I had this exact same problem with my refurb 2010 Macbook Air 13" base model last fall. They replaced the screen as well as the case since it was slightly warped. After I got it back, I noticed the white lines on the screen again as if nothing had changed. I also was having keyboard problems where some of the keys on the left side were not responding 100% of the time. Over the next two months the laptop was taken into repair three more times (once again for the screen, twice for the keyboard), and by then I had had enough. I was polite yet persistent, and after speaking with the manager, the genius was generous enough to give me a brand new 2011 Macbook Air Ultimate model! I know I was extremely lucky that Apple went above and beyond what I expected to resolve my issue. I subsequently kept up my end of the bargain and told everyone I know about Apple's customer service. :D

minnus
Feb 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
I just saw this thread now after I had my problem resolved--wish I saw it earlier to confirm I wasn't imagining things!

I had this exact same problem with my refurb 2010 Macbook Air 13" base model last fall. They replaced the screen as well as the case since it was slightly warped. After I got it back, I noticed the white lines on the screen again as if nothing had changed. I also was having keyboard problems where some of the keys on the left side were not responding 100% of the time. Over the next two months the laptop was taken into repair three more times (once again for the screen, twice for the keyboard), and by then I had had enough. I was polite yet persistent, and after speaking with the manager, the genius was generous enough to give me a brand new 2011 Macbook Air Ultimate model! I know I was extremely lucky that Apple went above and beyond what I expected to resolve my issue. I subsequently kept up my end of the bargain and told everyone I know about Apple's customer service. :D

Make sure you start using that cloth!

I had to go to the Apple store as much as 5 times in a specific week. I honestly much rather this issue never occurring - than experiencing Apple's customer support.

This issue could have been prevented had they made it apparent that the screen is very vulnerable to flexing and to ensure optimal condition - use a cloth between the keyboard and the screen.

MBHockey
Feb 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
I just noticed this on my 6 week old 2011 MBA (13")

Really annoying seeing as I have a hard case for it (Booq Viper) and rarely stick it in a bag where it is compressed. I'm surprised how fast this happened.

It's only visible on a dark background at certain angles. I noticed it today for the first time when I had it hooked up to my TV watching a movie and the screen was kind of gray/dark but at full brightness. It's definitely not a smudge or anything. At least I can't see it when I'm actually using it, but it's still disappointing how little usage it took to get these marks.

Dark, horizontal lines just above the cursor:

EDIT: See my post here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14364490&postcount=17). Apple replaced my MBA today with a brand new one because of this issue.

LeonLQ
Apr 9, 2012, 07:01 AM
My 2-month old 13" MBA (mid-2011) base model has exactly the same problem. Presenting this thread to Apple Care guys is a great help to grant me a screen replacement.

I'm in China and when I showed those lines to guys at the authorized repair center in my town today, I was told that Apple China WILL reject my replacement application by saying "it's user's fault to press the screen too hard", as they did in prior cases that "I've seen in a couple of Air's" - said by one of the repair guys.

But when I came back to office I filed a question on Apple support page included with LINK to THIS THREAD and got a phone call from Apple Care. Over the phone they asked me to describe the problem, then they said they had viewed this thread and agreed to grant me a one-time-only free replacement of the entire screen unit (upper half of my MBA) because "there are cases closed with screen replacement in the thread".

I'm taking my MBA for screen replacement tomorrow and will update with further progress.

MacRumors RULE!

[UPDATE] Today, which is three days later, my MBA is back and things are back to normal. The upper half was replaced free of charge, and I plan to stick with the Razer-kabuto solution. Thanks a bunch for this thread, minnus.

citivolus
Apr 10, 2012, 06:33 AM
Good for you, hope it works out!

bogatyr
Apr 10, 2012, 08:36 AM
After reading this thread it looks like I'll be going out and buying a razor mouse pad today... x2.

Thanks for the heads up guys. :)

root.root
Jul 14, 2012, 05:32 AM
For information, I have the exact same problem with my new MacBook Air 2012, purchased a week ago.
It's not that bad (yet), but still...

Should I bring it back to Apple Store?

kodeman53
Jul 14, 2012, 05:33 AM
Should I bring it back to Apple Store?
Yes.

root.root
Jul 14, 2012, 05:54 AM
Hmm ok thanks. The idea to be a week away from my new MBA is not very appealing. Maybe I should wait a bit, wait for the screen to get worse, the replacement would make me a brand new machine in 6 months...

But isn't it annoying that Apple did nothing since the MBA 2011 - which had the same problem?

I guess most of the people simply don't care, and keep the white lines.
In my case, I own it for a week! Of course I used it every day, and moved it to several locations. But the MBA is kept vertical, in a protective case, and I don't know where it could get some pressure enough to damage the screen?! :mad:

kodeman53
Jul 14, 2012, 06:10 AM
Yep, that is the ONLY possible explanation. :rolleyes:

minnus
Jul 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hmm ok thanks. The idea to be a week away from my new MBA is not very appealing. Maybe I should wait a bit, wait for the screen to get worse, the replacement would make me a brand new machine in 6 months...

But isn't it annoying that Apple did nothing since the MBA 2011 - which had the same problem?

In my case, I own it for a week! Of course I used it every day, and moved it to several locations. But the MBA is kept vertical, in a protective case, and I don't know where it could get some pressure enough to damage the screen?! :mad:

Hi root ~ The best thing to do is to bring it their attention as soon as possible. The longer you have it, the more likely they will attempt to pawn it off as 'accidental' damage.

You're right in that some people just don't care about their screens. I was at an airport, and I took out my Air. Someone walks up to me and asks why I had a cloth between the screen. I gave him the short story of how light pressure can cause permanent damage to the screen. He was like, oh *#@#, pulls out his Air and examines his screen. I died a little when I saw it - chips from the keys, scratches from the compression points - but hey, if he never noticed them, more power to him! I wish I could ignore it, lol.

Just FYI, still no issues with the cloth! I use it for everything now, including the rMBP i recently purchased (people have already encountered similar 'pressure' issues /sigh) and it keeps the screen immaculate.

root.root
Jul 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hi minnus. Do you mind giving details about the cloth you are using?

(it's maybe somewhere in the thread, but I'm too lazy to read it all over again)

minnus
Jul 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
Its been mentioned previously, but I try not to overstate it as the only option (which is why I generally just say 'cloth').

I use the Razer Kabuto. It is a small/thin mousepad that was designed to fit between the keyboard and screen of most laptops. I prefer this one over others because it is a tad thicker than those specially designed for the Air. Since this is all about pressure damage, the extra thickness provides a nice cushion.

Owsi
Aug 19, 2012, 04:59 AM
So now I am noticing these lines, too :( And my MBA is now just over a year old (warranty has expired). Think I'll have any luck getting it fixed?

Also, I am wondering if leaving the case open and relieving the pressure on the screen will help the lines go away. Has anyone tried this? Any luck?

minnus
Aug 19, 2012, 07:38 AM
So now I am noticing these lines, too :( And my MBA is now just over a year old (warranty has expired). Think I'll have any luck getting it fixed?

Also, I am wondering if leaving the case open and relieving the pressure on the screen will help the lines go away. Has anyone tried this? Any luck?

Ouch! It seems like Apple would have very little reason to fix this for you at this point :( Afterall, most of us did struggle to get it fixed UNDER warranty. But it couldn't hurt if you had the time right?

Good luck!

Owsi
Aug 20, 2012, 03:27 AM
Ouch! It seems like Apple would have very little reason to fix this for you at this point :( Afterall, most of us did struggle to get it fixed UNDER warranty. But it couldn't hurt if you had the time right?

Good luck!

Yeah...I never noticed it before - don't watch many movies :( ON the phone with Mac right now, they seem quite pleasant.

I spoke too soon....they are saying tough cookies because the warranty period is over (my fault for not watching movies on my MBA I guess) - further, they essentially told me that they think all of you are full of crap (when I mentioned this forum, and this thread) they said "Anyone can write whatever they want on the Internet - we have no record of screen issues with the MBA").

I love my NBA - and I consider myself a convert (was always a PC guy until my MBA) - but I do have to mention that Samsung fixed my laptop a year and a half past warranty expiration because the problem was obviously not something I did - and they did it gladly. Something to think about for my next purchase :(

minnus
Aug 20, 2012, 09:53 AM
I spoke too soon....they are saying tough cookies because the warranty period is over (my fault for not watching movies on my MBA I guess) - further, they essentially told me that they think all of you are full of crap (when I mentioned this forum, and this thread) they said "Anyone can write whatever they want on the Internet - we have no record of screen issues with the MBA").

I love my NBA - and I consider myself a convert (was always a PC guy until my MBA) - but I do have to mention that Samsung fixed my laptop a year and a half past warranty expiration because the problem was obviously not something I did - and they did it gladly. Something to think about for my next purchase :(

Yeah, this is one of those issues where some people simply do not notice - and because most people do not notice it, it is not 'recorded' as a problem. The ONLY way they can say with certainty that this issue does not exist is if they can say with 100% confidence that the MBA lid does NOT flex. This issue is caused by the screen flexing. Simple as that. If it flexes, it will happen.

---

Apple's 'legendary' customer service has been overhyped by those randomly selected to receive favorable service.

BigMcGuire
Aug 20, 2012, 11:00 AM

I got one of these, except from Amazon so I'd get it faster. Am I the only one that saw the low clearance and figured I'd need one of these with the Macbook Air? I carry my Macbook Air in my backpack with books and other equipment and figured if there was ANY pressure the keys would be touching the screen. So got one of these, 5 months later with my Macbook Air spending a lot of its life in my backpack - no problems with the screen.

http://www.amazon.com/RadTech-ScreenSavrz-MacBook-12-13-8-Screen/dp/B000P25DGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345478386&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+air+cloth --- that's the one I got. Actually got 2 cuz I lost mine a month ago and bought another.

Got one of those incase covers that I slip my macbook air into when I'm not using it.

Crazy Badger
Aug 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
I guess I was lucky as the Apple Store in Glasgow replaced my screen with the same damaged in just under 3 hours whilst I popped to the cinema to watch Prometheus :D No questions either!

Pretty sure it's caused by pressure on the screen when carrying the laptop in a padded case inside a laptop bag, and have bought one of these when I'm out and about > http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

Don't use it if I'm just closing the screen and not putting it in a case as there's no pressure. Only had it replaced a few months ago but still looks like new

Owsi
Aug 21, 2012, 10:45 PM
I guess I was lucky as the Apple Store in Glasgow replaced my screen with the same damaged in just under 3 hours whilst I popped to the cinema to watch Prometheus :D No questions either!

Pretty sure it's caused by pressure on the screen when carrying the laptop in a padded case inside a laptop bag, and have bought one of these when I'm out and about > http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

Don't use it if I'm just closing the screen and not putting it in a case as there's no pressure. Only had it replaced a few months ago but still looks like new

But if some of you have had luck getting the displays replaced, wouldn't that mean there is a record in the Apple system of this problem?

I have an issue with my Apple reps attitude by the way - basically she said, there is no record of this, so it's not a problem. But for every problem, there must be a FIRST report, right? And for each of those first reports, there would not be a record of it in the Apple system...

Anyway, for those of you that had luck getting the displays replaced, do you have any reference/case numbers I could provide to my Apple rep to prove that (A) you had this problem and (B) Apple fixed it for you?

Thanks!

Owsi
Aug 23, 2012, 02:51 AM
Yay! They will replace the screen, but I'll pay for labor. Seems fair enough since it is out of warranty. I am pretty happy about that. I just had to be persistent :)

theoark
Nov 23, 2012, 04:21 AM
Yay! They will replace the screen, but I'll pay for labor. Seems fair enough since it is out of warranty. I am pretty happy about that. I just had to be persistent :)

how much did you have to pay for labor? thanks.