Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

risc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I've just don't the family pack upgrade to Tiger at our house, and when I finally got around to rebooting my GFs iMac G5 I noticed a weird high pitched chirping sound, it's only quick and seems to be completely random. Has anyone else noticed this with the Tiger update? It's loud enough that I don't think it was something happening before Tiger. Anyone got any idea what it is, or could it be as simple as just waiting for 10.4.1 to fix any hardware bugs? Or is it something serious I should be worrying about? A quick search on google provided me with no information, so thanks in advance to anyone who has 1/2 a clue about this. :)

Cheers all!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I believe there are new action sounds, the mail sound has changed and moving items into and out of folders also makes a noise now. Don't know if thats what you are hearing.

risc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
eva01 said:
I believe there are new action sounds, the mail sound has changed and moving items into and out of folders also makes a noise now. Don't know if thats what you are hearing.

It's definitely not the action sounds that's what I thought first but the chirping noise is still there even with the speakers muted.

risc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all - I've just spoken to my GF and she says the noise has always been there - so that changes everything.

Anyone have any idea about what this is?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I read on the Apple forums of people with powermac G5's and chirping. It was happening when moving the mouse, is yours the same?

DRDavis

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2005
I am experiencing the noise as well.

I am experiencing the chirping noise as well. I must say that I noticed it with my dual 2Ghz G5 with 9800 Pro when I received it, but it was much subtler before Tiger upgrade. Since my upgrade to Tiger it is definately noticable now and louder. It is not coming from the speakers, but from the machine itself. It is also more related to when the 3D graphics are on the screen. It goes away when my machine sleeps the monitor.

Would really like to see a fix for this. It is quite annoying while playing 3D games.

risc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I gave up on trying to find a fix and took it back to an Apple Centre to get repaired under AppleCare - God bless the AMAZING service we get in Australia, you pay hundreds of dollars for AppleCare then 4 days after you take the computer in for repairs they ring you to tell you what is wrong with it, and THEN the get around to fixing it if they have the parts in stock.

Originally I wanted it fix out on site but the guy I spoke to at Apple (after being on the phone to India for an hour then put back to Australia) told me it wasn't worth it, it would take up to a week for someone to call me to arrange a time to get some one out, and then it might be up to 2 weeks after that before they would get here, and even then they wouldn't be bring parts to repair anything, and they'd need to come out again.

Quick question is Apple service this shocking around the world or are we just lucky in Australia?

DRDavis

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2005
CHUD seemed to help

OK, so I did an internet search and found an old forum on using CHUD to switch off the Nap mode (still haven't determined if this is a safe thing to do). I followed the directions outlined in many other forums and sure enough it does drastically reduce the chirping sound. In those forums some say just send your machine back to Apple to get a replacement power supply. I am planning on calling Apple in the morning and seeing what this entails.

My past history with Apple Care has been great, no complaints. Though, I have only had to use them twice before.

I will let this forum know how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.