Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Can any experts explain some do's and dont's in terms of software and hardware?

Also, any software you specifically liked?

Anything you did to extend the battery life?

Share your tricks!

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
* Do not login to Macrumors website and create yet another thread on what to do with a new Macbook Air.

* Do leverage the Search Forums and/or google for all the tips and tricks you need.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
The links did have some basic descriptions about the batteries and common knowledge. So, should I charge the battery for 1 day or 2 before first use? I know for my phones I did that.

yongren

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
If you're coming from a previous Mac via Time Machine, especially Snow Leopard or earlier, better to keep the clean factory install of Lion and copy your files over manually. If you don't, you start with a system that is already cluttered from use instead of fresh and snappy as it should be. I made this mistake & ended up with a slightly annoying degree of sluggishness, graphical glitches, and the like. I plan on doing a clean Lion install as soon as I get the chance.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Get a case NOW!

Then just use it.....I'm waiting for my Speck case to arrive, so my new Air is living in a towel I'm determined to keep it scratch free

Thanks for the advice, I definitely know how that feels when I scratched up my phone. Will look into the case thread for that.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Get a case NOW!

Then just use it.....I'm waiting for my Speck case to arrive, so my new Air is living in a towel I'm determined to keep it scratch free

i've read many accounts of people saying their case caused scratches, because they trap dirt, which then rubs against the computer. something to look out for. i would guess that taking the case off and cleaning it regularly prob prevents this.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've Gone For The Speck

i've read many accounts of people saying their case caused scratches, because they trap dirt, which then rubs against the computer. something to look out for. i would guess that taking the case off and cleaning it regularly prob prevents this.

Clear, no metal clips, just remove it once a month or so to clean as you say. Spoke to Apple about the clip ons, but that's been discussed in another thread here. I'd stay away from them.....I love my Air, but because it's all alloy, scratches are just so easy to get.....It's wrapped in it's towel now.....Case delivered tomorrow!

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Don't waste money on a stupid ugly case, use your machine the way it was meant to be used...
Now a sleeve for transportation, this I understand.

I'd rather be using a slightly marked computer than a horrible scratched plastic case. Then when you upgrade and take the case off "YEAH! the computer I won't use anymore is in mint state! That's so great!"

Let your machine live its life...

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Get a case NOW!

I disagree. When not at home my MBA does ride in the padded laptop pocket in my Timbuk2 bag, but otherwise it's naked.

Had a Macbook Pro 13 for nearly a year before my MBA13 and it went to another family member with no scratches.

That doesn't mean a case isn't appropriate for all people, I just challenge the assertion that it's required. Instead, it depends on the individual's situation.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
The links did have some basic descriptions about the batteries and common knowledge. So, should I charge the battery for 1 day or 2 before first use? I know for my phones I did that.

When I said extra charging, I am referring to when you first got your brand new laptop.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
When You Work

I disagree. When not at home my MBA does ride in the padded laptop pocket in my Timbuk2 bag, but otherwise it's naked.

Had a Macbook Pro 13 for nearly a year before my MBA13 and it went to another family member with no scratches.

That doesn't mean a case isn't appropriate for all people, I just challenge the assertion that it's required. Instead, it depends on the individual's situation.

In the music business, where beer is involved, and everyone wants to play with my stuff, the case is an absolute must.....It wouldn't be 5 minutes before it looked terrible, and I dont like my stuff wrecked a sleeve is good protection for many, but it's not enough for me.

Last edited:

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
In the music business, where beer is involved, and everyone wants to play with my stuff, the case is an absolute must.....It wouldn't be 5 minutes before it looked terrible, and I dont like my stuff wrecked a sleeve is good protection for many, but it's not enough for me.

Alright this I understand as well :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
It's Not My Friends

Agreed. Beer + Friends + Computer = Trouble! :D

I don't worry about them, they respect my stuff. It's Rock Bands I record and video:D

IPhone goes to the studio ( or even at home when clients are here) in full, ugly Otterbox defender kit.

My old laptop which I'm about to sell is a heavy lump 17.5" Toshiba satellite pro. That was in a case when working with me too.

Funnily enough, the only thing they wouldn't touch....( many won't even ask) are my guitars...." would you mind if I played your Strat?"

Nope, but take off the jewlery and wash your hands:D. Ive owned that guitar from new, it's been giged around the world, and is like brand new, and yes, it has a case.

I'm normal at home, my stuff is on stands.......It's only when I turn this into a studio that it's time to protect it all.

The Air is the easiest to Mark up, so it's getting a clear Speck cover.....Still shows it off, and more importantly I can use it for the purpose I intended...safely!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When I said extra charging, I am referring to when you first got your brand new laptop.
When you first get your MBA, you can turn it on and start using it right away. It comes partially charged, so plug it in and fully charge it the first time (while you're using it, if you wish). After that, run on battery when you need to, plug it in whenever you can. Just make sure you don't run on battery all the time. Read the AC POWER section of the Battery FAQ for more details.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
@GGJStudios: Yes, agree. This is what I read at Apple.com "Be sure to fully charge your portable when you plug it in for the first time, and then run Software Update to ensure you have the latest software."

I wonder if they meant with laptop down/closed.

source:http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
@GGJStudios: Yes, agree. This is what I read at Apple.com "Be sure to fully charge your portable when you plug it in for the first time, and then run Software Update to ensure you have the latest software."

I wonder if they meant with laptop down/closed.

source:http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
Well, it's kinda hard to use it with the lid closed, unless you're connected to an external display. No, you don't have to plug it in and wait for it to fully charge before you start using it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Good Advice

For future reference, all of that information is contained in the Battery FAQ in the 2nd post of this thread.

But don't remove the battery in an AIR or you will void your warranty.....Thought I'd better mention this as the article advises removal in "Laptops" but glance at the booklet that came with your MBA and you find it specifically tells you not to remove it.....I wouldn't want to anyway, just worth mentioning.

All the other stuff there is bali for the MBA too

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But don't remove the battery in an AIR or you will void your warranty.....Thought I'd better mention this as the article advises removal in "Laptops"
That's because the article was written in 2008, before built-in batteries were introduced. The Battery FAQ is more up to date:
Also, it is not recommended to run your Mac on the AC adaptor with the battery out (Of course, this only applies to removable batteries).
This is why you can't trust everything you read on the internet. When it comes to Apple batteries, Apple is the most reliable source of information. The Battery FAQ contains information directly from Apple, not blogs or articles written by those who don't have all the facts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.