Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tweeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is there anyway to do a full backup of an iPod keeping everything the same?

Meaning backing up and keeping all apps organized in same order, all ripped CDs, downloaded music, etc. Essentially keeping all as it was before.

I need to format my computer and want to make sure my iPod will stay the same when I resync after reinstalling.

Thanks to all for any time lending help on this issue.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you backup your iTunes folder before, and restore it after (but before you sync) you should be fine.

If you start a new iTunes library on your computer (instead of restoring the old one), your iPod is going to want to remove all iTunes Store content: music, apps, etc when you first sync.

tweeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
If you backup your iTunes folder before, and restore it after (but before you sync) you should be fine.

If you start a new iTunes library on your computer (instead of restoring the old one), your iPod is going to want to remove all iTunes Store content: music, apps, etc when you first sync.

So just copy the iTunes folder in My Music folder to a usb stick or whatever external media. Then copy it to the same location after installing iTunes?

I am kind of confused as it does not seem there is a whole lot in here in the way of apps. When I sync my iPod it copies the apps, but to where, I do not see these.nThat is what I am most concerned with really, is just having the iPod be organized the same way as it is now. I have spent a lot of time organizing it on each screen and want to keep it the same and make sure all the apps are there the same way when I reinstall.

Anymore insight on this?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So just copy the iTunes folder in My Music folder to a usb stick or whatever external media. Then copy it to the same location after installing iTunes?
Correct. There is an XML file in there with a unique number that gets copied to all devices you sync with. If you start a new iTunes Library on your computer (after you've reformatted it), that new library will have a different unique number that what your iPod touch has, and that opens up a whole can of worms you can avoid by simply copying your iTunes folder (and all of the subfolder) to somewhere else, reformat your computer, then copy it back to your computer (after you've reinstalled everything).

I am kind of confused as it does not seem there is a whole lot in here in the way of apps. When I sync my iPod it copies the apps, but to where, I do not see these.
In your iTunes folder, you should see an iTunes Media subfolder, that has a folder called Mobile Applications. At least that's where they're stored on my computer.

tweeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Correct. There is an XML file in there with a unique number that gets copied to all devices you sync with. If you start a new iTunes Library on your computer (after you've reformatted it), that new library will have a different unique number that what your iPod touch has, and that opens up a whole can of worms you can avoid by simply copying your iTunes folder (and all of the subfolder) to somewhere else, reformat your computer, then copy it back to your computer (after you've reinstalled everything).

In your iTunes folder, you should see an iTunes Media subfolder, that has a folder called Mobile Applications. At least that's where they're stored on my computer.

Great. Thank you very much! I truly appreciate your detailed explanation!

Yes that is where I am confused. I cannot figure out where these apps are. THere is only 1 app that is in that folder you speak of. I just did a sync for the first time in awhile and it copied the apps but I have no idea to where. Is there any way to find this out? Maybe search by names of apps or the file type?

Thanks again!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's possible to configure iTunes so that it stores its music/video/app files outside of the My Music/iTunes folder. Check the Advanced tab of the Preferences and see where it's set to put the library?

tweeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
It's possible to configure iTunes so that it stores its music/video/app files outside of the My Music/iTunes folder. Check the Advanced tab of the Preferences and see where it's set to put the library?

Thank you aristobrat! Got it all sorted out! I appreciate it.

Now hopefully all goes well!

Thanks again.

tweeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Thank you aristobrat! Got it all sorted out! I appreciate it.

Now hopefully all goes well!

Thanks again.

For whatever reason the apps part of this is not working out. No apps show up in the library or apps under my device. My device itself has apps but it won't sync the apps because there are no apps supposedly (even though they are there in the dir).

If i then transfer purchases yes, they are there, but the organization of the apps on the iPod is completely ruined.

I'm not sure what I can do about this. I really wish there was an easier way to backup fully and end up with the same device as before the backup. For people who get a new computer, this just must be a nightmare no matter what.

tweeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Anyone have any more thoughts on this?

I am just trying to restore things to be IDENTICAL on the new computer.

Above you can see what the only issue appears to be now with the current method.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.