PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro vs iPad 2 w/ Dock

RavenZwei
Sep 26, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hello all. I've done some searching on the forums but couldn't find a thread that answered my exact questions. If they've been answered elsewhere, I apologize.

Here is my question. Recently purchased a iMac and after having Windows for so long, I'm loving it. Just really dig the OS, build quality, etc. Now this has got me craving something more portable. I've looked at both the Air and Pro, and they both seem like they would work for what I need, but I want to just get some advice.

I'm holding down a full time job while attending school full time, so my needs are basically web surfing with quite a lot of document editing. Writing papers, making spreadsheets, etc. I'd like to get at least a 13" screen. So I've narrowed it down to this (http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC700LL/A?mco=MjM2MTA1MjI) or this (http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC965LL/A?select=select&product=MC965LL%2FA&mco=MjMzOTQzMjI). Portability is going to be a key, because I often take my laptop to work to study/do work on, but I've been lugging around a 15" Toshiba forever, so weight really isn't an issue. I've almost taken the plunge on the Pro several times, but the Air is just so sexy, I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Finally, I've also thought about just going the iPad 2 + Keyboard dock, but I'm not sure how document editing is handled on the iPad, so any info on that would be great as well.

Any idea, opinions, suggestions, etc would be great. Thanks in advance.

nebulos
Sep 26, 2011, 10:36 PM
i say forget the ipad.

my vote is for the MBA:

better resolution
essentially non-glossy display (pro is a mirror)
SSD
lightweight, which you can live without, but you WILL love

the MBP is fine too though. but if you're not gonna use the extra horsepower, storage space, DVD, there's no reason not to go sleek, sexy, and functional with the MBA.

if you can wait a few weeks, (two, three?) MBA will be available as a refurb soon too.

stark4
Sep 26, 2011, 10:44 PM
get MBA

mrsir2009
Sep 26, 2011, 10:59 PM
iPad is good for web surfing (excluding web games and videos), but forget lots of typing (working with documents). I'd go for the Air.

richpjr
Sep 26, 2011, 11:03 PM
If you want at least a 13" screen, you have ruled out the iPad.

aeboi
Sep 26, 2011, 11:09 PM
Rule out the iPad, it's alright for on the go bloggers but if you plan to do any sort of serious word processing, go for a real laptop.

alust2013
Sep 26, 2011, 11:15 PM
What you described rules out the iPad. It's great for web-based stuff, watching youtube, reading the news, etc. But for document editing, I think it would end up just being a headache rather than convenient. The iPad version of iWork is stripped down a bit and I imagine more difficult to use. I'd suggest the MBA 13", basic model.

Dunbar
Sep 26, 2011, 11:23 PM
Unless you're willing to jailbreak the iPad you can't connect a bluetooth keyboard and mouse at the same time. The iPad is fine for media consumption but with the amount of typing you'll be doing it would get old fast.

If you're going to be a hauling this machine around a lot I'd get the MBA over the MBP. It's 1.5lbs. lighter and really no slower for what you'll be using it for.

eric/
Sep 27, 2011, 12:08 AM
Definitely MBA.

vitzr
Sep 27, 2011, 12:23 AM
I have MacBook Pro's in all sizes, as well as the two MBA's and iPads.

My vote goes to the 13" MBA for you. Everything is a compromise of sorts, the MBA is the best suited and the least compromise.

Since you're entitled to a student discount I highly suggest you buy the three year AppleCare warranty. It's well worth it and far superior than any third party warranty. I always buy it for my Macs. On the occasions I've needed it, the savings was huge. Just one warranty repair paid for the plan.

Cheers