Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Could you hook up a DirecTV box or BluRay player or other item that needs a wired internet connection via ethernet and use the Express essentially as a wireless radio allowing the wired boxes access to the internet?

I hadn't thought about the ethernet jack on the Airport Express working in this 'direction', I had only considered you would use it to plug in a modem or other network to serve as a point source to create a wifi network from that wired connection.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Something like THIS might work better in this situation. Cheaper and has 4 ports available so you don't have to swap out devices. I'd personally only do the Express if you need the audio jack for Airplay.

graystone

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
Can Airport Express Serve Ethernet to DirecTV HD box?

Yes. We have an Xbox in my son's room hooked up to an Airport Express with an ethernet cable, thus negating the need for the expensive MS wireless dongle. Works like a charm.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
yes, but you'll need the newer N version (been out a few years, so not a problem unless you're buying used)

The G version could only do it if you were extending your network.
You don't want to extend unless you need the added range, as it will only work with an apple router as the main base, and it will slow your wireless network down.

You want to set it up to Join your existing network. and check the box for "Allow ethernet clients"
I recommend plugging the express into your laptop via ethernet until you get it set up, then switch it over to the other devices once it's working, You should (although i haven't tested it) be able to connect a small switch and have all your devices connected at the same time if you have more than one.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks for those responses. I appreciate it.

How about this, since the equipment works in both directions:

I have a relatively inexpensive Netgear router that serves my 'g' devices (I have the older single-band AEBS and it is my 'n' network at 5GHz speeds.) Can the Netgear router be hooked up to accomplish this?

I am planning on upgrading to the newer dual-band AEBS soon and then the Netgear won't be needed (not really needed now, but I like the seperation and speed bump having a 'pure' 'n' network.) Can the Netgear wireless router go behind the entertainment center and take the place of an Express and serve the internet to DirecTV and the BlueRay player through a couple of ethernet cables? Essentially using it to join the existing network and letting the wired boxes connect via the cables? Or is there something inherent in the Express that allows this pass-through?

----------

Yes. We have an Xbox in my son's room hooked up to an Airport Express with an ethernet cable, thus negating the need for the expensive MS wireless dongle. Works like a charm.

I see that some wireless 'dongle' devices out there are cheaper than the Express. $50-$60.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
chances are with the stock firmware in your router that the answer is no.

look at dd-wrt, it's a linux based firmware that works on several routers out there, and adds a lot of new features.
You'll have to check to see if your router is supported (link)

graystone

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
Express vs. Dongle

Thanks for those responses. I appreciate it.

I see that some wireless 'dongle' devices out there are cheaper than the Express. $50-$60.

Possibly true. I paid $70 for a refurb Express, while the XBox dongle was $80 at the time. But the Express is a great deal more functional in that it extends my wireless network and lets my son airplay music from the main iTunes library to powered speakers in his room, negating the need for a separate stereo system. So for the minimal difference in price between the dongle and the Express you get greater reliability and functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.