Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DockMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I notice a TON of the same questions being asked over and over again in regards to SSD's and Ram. How about we try out some stickies for these two topics:

1) Storage: Hard Drives and SSD (Purchasing, Installation, Troubleshooting)
2) Memory: RAM (Purchasing, Installation, Troubleshooting)

Just a thought.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The problem with stickies is that the information either: 1) is old and outdated rather quickly in the fast-moving world of technology, or 2) good info gets buried rather quickly in a megathread.

There's nothing wrong with having several threads, as people's needs are different, along with budgets and other factors.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Ideally someone would sift through the info as it pours into said megathread and throw it back up to the OP as it is relevant.

Ideally. Point is, who's going to do that? No one.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thus is the reason why we have guides and why guides should be updated frequently.
You won't curb the questions being asked repeatedly, but you can quickly point to a guide and close the thread.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What is the idea of a forum if you can't make your own threads? If these threads annoy you, then please just skip them. Not everyone can like every single thread. After all, pretty much all the discussions in here have already been covered before.

I'm a member of some other forums where all posting is limited to megathreads. It's horrible. Tons of stuff gets buried and you never get more than a reply or two to your question before someone else steals the spotlight.

DockMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I don't mind the multiple threads so much. Just thinking of ways to make this more efficient.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
What is the idea of a forum if you can't make your own threads? If these threads annoy you, then please just skip them. Not everyone can like every single thread. After all, pretty much all the discussions in here have already been covered before.

I'm a member of some other forums where all posting is limited to megathreads. It's horrible. Tons of stuff gets buried and you never get more than a reply or two to your question before someone else steals the spotlight.

and some questions(threads) only stay on the first page for an hour because there is 25 new "does this ram work" threads

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
and some questions(threads) only stay on the first page for an hour because there is 25 new "does this ram work" threads

There may be 25 new "does this ram work" threads, but there may also be 25 threads with 25 different questions in that same hour, and the thread a member started will still get bumped to the second page. There isn't much that can be done about it, members may just have to look through one or more pages to find threads they are interested in.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
There may be 25 new "does this ram work" threads, but there may also be 25 threads with 25 different questions in that same hour, and the thread a member started will still get bumped to the second page. There isn't much that can be done about it, members may just have to look through one or more pages to find threads they are interested in.

well having your question bumped down to page 2 for other questions is fine, those cant be controlled, starting new threads for easy to find answers in other threads can be controlled

why have a search bar at the top?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Thus is the reason why we have guides and why guides should be updated frequently.
You won't curb the questions being asked repeatedly, but you can quickly point to a guide and close the thread.

I hate it when people do that. Because its often done based on the thread title, when inside the thread it explains that it is a unique situation. But that doesn't stop people from not reading it properly, pasting the link in and shooting their mouth off about searching before you post.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA

I agree that a forum that goes to the extreme and resorts to megathreads would be horrible, but there's a happy balance between that and what sometimes happens with the "25 threads about X" problem.

Today was a great example with the iPhone announcement's announcement. Minutes after the story hit the front page we saw (and are still seeing) threads crop up attempting to have a microdiscussion about something already being discussed under the news thread.

One may be of the opinion that it's nice to have a separate thread about the "1" in the graphic of the iPhone announcement because the discussion about that is getting lost amongst discussion of other things inside the news thread. One may also be of the opinion that a separate thread is simply an attempt by the thread creator to be the "OP" just because we all know the "OP" runs the thread. Obviously that's silly and I don't think an OP runs a thread, but I'm highlighting a common feeling people have when they make a new thread. We all know the usual culprits.

Point is (and it's simply an opinion) this site is a beautiful democracy. We can vote with our voices, mouseclicks and keystrokes and our moderators will make decisions. They do a damn good job with it. They've got a TON of feedback to sort through every minute of every day.

So while I'm of the opinion that some of these 25 threads on RAM or even more so the 50 threads on "DO YOU THINK THE iPHONE 5 IS GUNNA BE KEWL!?!?" are extremely obnoxious and if I had God powers I'd delete them myself, I'm rational and humble, and therefore I know I don't posess such powers. I have the power of opinion and I'll express it as long as it's appropriate and quasi-polite. ;) From there, it's in the hands of the moderators and arn himself. The success of this site is glaring evidence that the system works. I'd rather not mess with it.

I have no idea how, but it would be fantastic to have a system like Forum Spy to only spy on new threads. I know the current spy system emboldens new threads, but once they move down and out of sight, they're out of mind as well. It would help with those situations where I'm just in the mood for answering questions and trying to help people out.

A lot of members have specific needs or a specific budget, or find a great deal and want to know if that exact model will work ... that's what a lot of the "easy to find answers" really are, and a megathread would not be the best solution to those questions, as they would get buried in the thread quickly.

Information becomes irrelevant, and deals disappear, quickly - as do threads that answer those "simple" questions.

This is too true. I've been in communities where a common response sounds like, "$#%ing idiot and these stupid threads!$@#($* IT'S REPLY #92 ON PAGE 226 OF THE 74th THREAD OF THE FAQ PAGE!!!!!11rageragerage"

I look at that kind of response and my jaw drops. Who actually spends the time to find that?

Last edited:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
well having your question bumped down to page 2 for other questions is fine, those cant be controlled, starting new threads for easy to find answers in other threads can be controlled

why have a search bar at the top?

A lot of members have specific needs or a specific budget, or find a great deal and want to know if that exact model will work ... that's what a lot of the "easy to find answers" really are, and a megathread would not be the best solution to those questions, as they would get buried in the thread quickly.

Information becomes irrelevant, and deals disappear, quickly - as do threads that answer those "simple" questions.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
So while I'm of the opinion that some of these 25 threads on RAM or even more so the 50 threads on "DO YOU THINK THE iPHONE 5 IS GUNNA BE KEWL!?!?" are extremely obnoxious and if I had God powers I'd delete them myself, I'm rational and humble, and therefore I know I don't posess such powers. I have the power of opinion and I'll express it as long as it's appropriate and quasi-polite. ;) From there, it's in the hands of the moderators and arn himself. The success of this site is glaring evidence that the system works. I'd rather not mess with it.

We usually close or merge threads about bigger news, such as today's announcement. The problem with RAM and SSD threads is that there aren't any "mother-threads", just random questions posted by people. There isn't one thread with hundreds of replies like in news threads. That makes it harder to choose the target of the merge. Closing or deleting isn't what we want to do, since oftentimes the discussion is completely valid.

There are 60 threads on the page one of the MBP forum. Eight of these threads have something to do with SSD and/or RAM according to the title. I don't think that is really a big number.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I think to we should make stickys on threads asking why there are too many threads with the same information that are not put into a sticky.

Or we could put one mega thread in each forum to post anything related to that forum and not allow anyone to make new threads.

I like #2 better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.