PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard on my New MacBook Air

TinyHulk
Sep 27, 2011, 05:47 PM
For various reasons I just dont like the new Lion.

I heard its impossible to format and install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Is it true?

Is there an unofficial workaround available?

3dflyboy1
Sep 27, 2011, 05:51 PM
I heard its impossible to format and install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Is it true?

Yes. The kernel panics upon boot.

Is there an unofficial workaround available?

Buy a 2010 mac air. :D

TinyHulk
Sep 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
I see that s*cks

My problems:

I don't like the new Mail 5.0 Interface is it possible to downgrade or tweak in any way? The search function in old Mail was better. Also dont like how muliple of the same emails are stored 'in eachother' (if this makes sense?)

Also do not like the iCal interface + It crashes everytime

The few games I play are Diablo II and Warcraft 3. Diablo 2 will not run on OS X Lion and will never run (no support) Warcraft 3 & Expansion can run but its still buggy.

When I open multiple pictures and then close it all at once it closes but when I reopen a picture they ALL reload! What the ****? Do I want this? Hell no!

Thanks for your feedback

3dflyboy1
Sep 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
I see that s*cks

My problems:

I don't like the new Mail 5.0 Interface is it possible to downgrade or tweak in any way? The search function in old Mail was better. Also dont like how muliple of the same emails are stored 'in eachother' (if this makes sense?)

The few games I play are Diablo II and Warcraft 3. Diablo 2 will not run on OS X Lion and will never run (no support) Warcraft 3 & Expansion can run but its still buggy.

When I open multiple pictures and then close it all at once it closes but when I reopen a picture they ALL reload! What the ****? Do I want this? Hell no!

Thanks for your feedback

Sounds like a 2010 MBA or the upcoming ASUS UX21/31 would be more of what you want.

TinyHulk
Sep 27, 2011, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a 2010 MBA or the upcoming ASUS UX21/31 would be more of what you want.

Nope because I like the specs.

What are the 2010 11.6 inch specs?

Oh and I want the MBA to be new :)

ShiftClick
Sep 27, 2011, 06:34 PM
Sometimes you just can't get everything ya want.

3dflyboy1
Sep 27, 2011, 06:38 PM

Do you mean "new" as in "still in a sealed box," or "new" as in the "latest model?"

deeddawg
Sep 27, 2011, 06:47 PM
The few games I play are Diablo II and Warcraft 3. Diablo 2 will not run on OS X Lion and will never run (no support)

I don't know much about diablo, but you might try running it under a Windows Virtual Machine with VMWare or Parallels. If you're clever, maybe run Snow Leopard in a VM? Worst case, use Bootcamp.

Can't say anything about Mail or iCal user interface changes; I use Outlook mostly. I'd wonder about iCal crashing, if it was an endemic problem I'd think we'd see more posts about it. First guess is something in your calendar is corrupt. Might be worth a post in the Lion forum or on Apple's support forums.

2010 MBA's are available as refurbs on store.apple.com -- spec's are listed with them.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0JK0LL/A?mco=MjEwNTg3Mzc

Rob.G
Sep 27, 2011, 08:07 PM
For mail, try Thunderbird. I never liked the old Mail and don't like the new Mail either. I haven't tried iCal; I just use Google Calendar on the website.

I don't play games so I can't help with the rest.

Rob

MJedi
Sep 27, 2011, 09:42 PM
I see that s*cks

My problems:

Thanks for your feedback

For Mail, you can go back to Classic Layout by going to the Mail Preferences, Viewing and check the "Use classic layout" box.

There is a tweak tool that allows you to restore the iCal aluminum look, if that's what you want. I don't know about the crashing. I don't use iCal much and doesn't crash on me.

Diablo 2 probably is a PowerPC application, and so will never run in Lion.

To disable restoring of opened windows when re-opening an apps, go to System Preferences, General and uncheck the box for "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps."

Hope this helps.

roelie76
Sep 28, 2011, 07:07 AM

If you want a new 2010 MBA check out the dutch iCentre site and then the "Uitverkoop" page. Last time I checked they still had some 11" 2010 models on sale. Currently they offer 2 versions with different specs and both of them have a discount.

The 2010 models have the Core2Duo processors (1,4 or 1,6 Mhz?) together with a Geforce 320M (with 256mb shared memory).

Not able to play those games you mentioned, was one of the reasons I bought the 2010 13" version.

scarred
Sep 28, 2011, 08:56 AM
I see that s*cks

My problems:

Thanks for your feedback

Well, sounds like you are stuck.. you can try and make the best of it?

There are a couple good Mail replacements -> App Store.

iCal can be reskinned. -> OSXDaily is where I saw it I think, but google will know. It shouldn't crash (and I've never seen it crash for me). Talk to Apple.

Games. Macbook Air can play those games, but your best bet is bootcamp to windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last statement. You mean with preview? But try CMD+W until all picture windows. Then CMD+Q to quit. I'm new to the Mac, and I've found remembering a few shortcuts makes quality of life go up fast.