PDA

View Full Version : WOOOO HOOOO! Just got my Air!! And a super sweet deal too!!

hohohong
Sep 28, 2011, 02:43 AM
Thought I was gonna get the Air a month ago so I sold my Rev B Air for $700. But the seller ran out of stock so I gotta endure 1 month without computer, surviving on an iPad.

Found another seller asking $1250 for a brand spanking new SEALED i7; fully loaded!

Just picked it up 2 hours ago! I'm loving it!!!

Edit: It’s 13”. And receipt is included too. I match the serial of the box, the bottom of the air and the software. And did warranty check. It’s good! I would have to pay over $1900 after tax. So more than 30% off for me.

gr8tfly
Sep 28, 2011, 02:50 AM
Congrats! It's a beautiful piece of tech - enjoy!

RTiii320
Sep 28, 2011, 03:21 AM
Thought I was gonna get the Air a month ago so I sold my Rev B Air for $700. But the seller ran out of stock so I gotta endure 1 month without computer, surviving on an iPad.

Found another seller asking $1250 for a brand spanking new SEALED i7; fully loaded!

Is this an 11" or 13"? I bought a 13" i7 from the Apple store, so be weary about what you just bought. Can't see how ANYONE can offer the top of the line MBA for so cheap.

Regardless, hope you enjoy the new MBA!:)

stark4
Sep 28, 2011, 03:21 AM
where ? ebay?

hohohong
Sep 28, 2011, 03:37 AM
where ? ebay?

Craigslist. I missed the Amazon deal, but this is even hotter!

----------

Is this an 11" or 13"? I bought a 13" i7 from the Apple store, so be weary about what you just bought. Can't see how ANYONE can offer the top of the line MBA for so cheap.

Regardless, hope you enjoy the new MBA!:)

It’s 13” and it has receipt with matching serial number on the receipt!

aziatiklover
Sep 28, 2011, 03:54 AM
Congrats and enjoy.

Macman45
Sep 28, 2011, 03:57 AM

Edit: Itís 13Ē. And receipt is included too. I match the serial of the box, the bottom of the air and the software. And did warranty check. Itís good! I would have to pay over $1900 after tax. So more than 30% off for me.

Have all the luck...my new MBA 256 with the USB SuperDrive was £1255.00 and that was with an £81.00 discount. We pay more, but lovin mine too!

Minhthien
Sep 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
Thats was the exactly price & MBA i7 13' I saw on CL last month too! But it was sold! :( But the good news is he still have 2011 15' 2.3 High Resolution Anti-Glare for 1750 So I grab it!;) Congrats on you purchase!

hohohong
Sep 28, 2011, 02:22 PM
Thats was the exactly price & MBA i7 13' I saw on CL last month too! But it was sold! :( But the good news is he still have 2011 15' 2.3 High Resolution Anti-Glare for 1750 So I grab it!;) Congrats on you purchase!

Congrat! Thatís an awesome deal! The deals u r talking about are brand new sealed right?

And my LED panel and SSD are samsung! I feel soooo lucky!! Gonna go get myself a lotto!

Dunbar
Sep 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
You bought a $1700 MBA new in a sealed box for $1250? That would make me suspicious that I was buying a fenced item. I just saw on the show American Underworld how they buy stuff like this with stolen credit card numbers and underprice them on CL for a quick sale. The receipt isn't proof it was purchased legitimately.

hohohong
Sep 28, 2011, 05:24 PM
You bought a $1700 MBA new in a sealed box for $1250? That would make me suspicious that I was buying a fenced item. I just saw on the show American Underworld how they buy stuff like this with stolen credit card numbers and underprice them on CL for a quick sale. The receipt isn't proof it was purchased legitimately.

Well, I had my MacBook pro stolen from me a few years ago. And I received that barely a week from Apple before it was stolen.

So I called Apple to report the theft to give em my police case number and ask if they can stop any repair or report to police if my stolen MBP was brought in for service.

But ďSOLĒ is what I got back. Theyíre still gonna repair and unable to report to police.

Ever since then, I buy new, sealed electronic from trading posts. This is my 2nd Mac after that incident. My previous Air has no problem with Apple care.

Unless Apple change their theft policy, I will still continue buying from trading post.

bizzle
Sep 28, 2011, 05:56 PM
Probably a stolen credit card. There is no legitimate reason it would be that cheap.

Dunbar
Sep 28, 2011, 06:39 PM
Unless Apple change their theft policy, I will still continue buying from trading post.

What is a trading post? Leaving aside the ethical issue of buying stuff that you suspect is stolen the police could confiscate it. If you registered the computer in your name or linked it to an itunes account Apple will turn your personal info over to the police if they come asking. You could even be charged with a crime although that is highly unlikely.

Doctor Q
Sep 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
"Super sweet deal" is an understatement. That's sweeter than candy!

Congratulations!

riveting
Sep 28, 2011, 06:48 PM
So how can we avoid things like this on CL or Kijiji purchase?

Probably a stolen credit card. There is no legitimate reason it would be that cheap.

Sweetfeld28
Sep 28, 2011, 07:54 PM
Well, I had my MacBook pro stolen from me a few years ago. And I received that barely a week from Apple before it was stolen.

So I called Apple to report the theft to give em my police case number and ask if they can stop any repair or report to police if my stolen MBP was brought in for service.

But ďSOLĒ is what I got back.

First thing I did after i got my MBP, I installed Prey (http://preyproject.com/).

tentales
Sep 28, 2011, 07:55 PM
If it's new & sealed and within 14 days, the seller could get back 100%, so definitely suspicious if that's the case. After that, anything less than 15% is also suspect but maybe someone is desperate. I'm usually weary of all the "received as a gift" excuses for not having the receipt.

I always check the seller's driver's license name against the name on the receipt and make a note of the appleid also. If for some reason that's missing, then I would ask the seller to produce the credit card and compare with the last four digits on the receipt. If the seller made a "cash purchase" without an id, I would walk away.

Dunbar
Sep 28, 2011, 08:22 PM
I always check the seller's driver's license name against the name on the receipt and make a note of the appleid also. If for some reason that's missing, then I would ask the seller to produce the credit card and compare with the last four digits on the receipt. If the seller made a "cash purchase" without an id, I would walk away.

Won't protect you, on that American Underworld show s01e02 that guy punched stolen CC numbers into a blank credit card using a machine and programmed the magnetic strip with the info. He also had (I assume) a fake ID in the same name as the one on the (fake) credit card. He walked into Best Buy and bought an iPad with the fake CC and had to show his ID at the register.

orfeas0
Sep 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
Won't protect you, on that American Underworld show s01e02 that guy punched stolen CC numbers into a blank credit card using a machine and programmed the magnetic strip with the info. He also had (I assume) a fake ID in the same name as the one on the (fake) credit card. He walked into Best Buy and bought an iPad with the fake CC and had to show his ID at the register.
That's a tv show...
I believe when you buy something, it imediately checks with your card company, they don't just give you stuff without checking if the card is valid.

Dunbar
Sep 28, 2011, 08:31 PM
That's a tv show...
I believe when you buy something, it imediately checks with your card company, they don't just give you stuff without checking if the card is valid.

The card is valid by all appearances and of course they don't give it to you if the charge gets denied. The point is the charge goes through and doesn't get disputed until the card holder figures it out days or weeks later and calls the CC company.

hohohong
Sep 28, 2011, 09:56 PM
What is a trading post? Leaving aside the ethical issue of buying stuff that you suspect is stolen the police could confiscate it. If you registered the computer in your name or linked it to an itunes account Apple will turn your personal info over to the police if they come asking. You could even be charged with a crime although that is highly unlikely.

You think the police would care?? I tried that when I lost mine. Though they didnít say it plainly, but they have lots of other things to worry about let alone trying to catch the thief.

Unless thereís fatality involved, chances are, police do not care! End of story.

I was super pissed when I was dealing with the police. Iíve lost faith in them. Hence, Iíve being buying new sealed electronics from Craigslist, kijiji, etc.

And I also meet up in places where thereís surveillance camera. Just in case if the police wanna validate my story also for personal safety reason.

Minhthien
Sep 28, 2011, 10:07 PM
Congrat! Thatís an awesome deal! The deals u r talking about are brand new sealed right?

And my LED panel and SSD are samsung! I feel soooo lucky!! Gonna go get myself a lotto!

Yup it was all Brand New Sealed! H:D

Dunbar
Sep 28, 2011, 11:34 PM
You think the police would care?? I tried that when I lost mine. Though they didnít say it plainly, but they have lots of other things to worry about let alone trying to catch the thief.

My guess is that CC fraud is a more serious crime than simple theft so the police would give it more attention. If your MBA is stolen and Apple gives them your itunes or registration info that's a pretty solid lead to go on to at least recover the property. The difference with your MBP was probably that the police had no leads to go on.

tom vilsack
Sep 29, 2011, 12:57 AM
-you had your macbook pro stolen...feels like crap
-now you buy a air for way under value (more then likely stolen credit card purchase)

em i missing something.

Minhthien
Sep 29, 2011, 01:44 AM
-you had your macbook pro stolen...feels like crap
-now you buy a air for way under value (more then likely stolen credit card purchase)

em i missing something.

Even out! :p

hohohong
Sep 29, 2011, 03:31 AM

Yep! :p

alecgold
Sep 29, 2011, 04:08 AM
+1

What can he do more?! Has a receipt, checked with apple and police?!

I would say enjoy the MBA, it's a great machine.

hohohong
Sep 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
+1

What can he do more?! Has a receipt, checked with apple and police?!

I would say enjoy the MBA, it's a great machine.

Well said! Like Iím gonna pass on this deal?? For those who have being skeptical, would you have pass this deal given the situation that thereís receipt, and no indication whether itís hot or not?

If I see another deal again, I will buy again!!

Minhthien
Sep 29, 2011, 05:34 PM
Well said! Like Iím gonna pass on this deal?? For those who have being skeptical, would you have pass this deal given the situation that thereís receipt, and no indication whether itís hot or not?

If I see another deal again, I will buy again!!

Me too! And i'll flip it for 1400-1500! :D

hohohong
Sep 30, 2011, 03:12 AM
And this is not the only hot deal I got this year,Ö I managed to score a 3TB Time Capsule 4th Gen for $200!

But that was used, not in a sealed box. Itís performing perfectly!

If youíre patient, you can score deals!

DarwinOSX
Oct 1, 2011, 04:26 PM
New Airs can be had cheaper than people think.
http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

BigB82
Oct 2, 2011, 12:17 AM
which city CL is this?

sebgreen
Oct 2, 2011, 12:25 PM
Why are people so jealous straight away. The guy got a deal and you did not. Deal with it.

Bargain for a great machine.

Dunbar
Oct 3, 2011, 09:59 PM
Why are people so jealous straight away. The guy got a deal and you did not. Deal with it.

I'm not jealous, I'm just not willing to buy stuff that has a high likelihood of being stolen. Not saying the OP bought a stolen MBA but the cheapest legit price online is about $1600 and he/she paid $1250 for the same thing new sealed in box. That doesn't even pass the smell test. Comments like "what am I going to do pass on this deal" suggest the OP has no problem buying sketchy merchandise.

sebgreen
Oct 4, 2011, 09:59 AM
the cheapest legit price online is about $1600 and he/she paid $1250 for the same thing new sealed in box. That doesn't even pass the smell test. Comments like "what am I going to do pass on this deal" suggest the OP has no problem buying sketchy merchandise.

The cheapest legit price on the net is whatever its marked up as. Just because something is cheap does not means its stolen. Maybe the seller is making a loss.

Not everyone has to run your "smell test".