Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

amazon_logo.jpg

Bloomberg reports that Amazon is preparing to unveil its new 7-inch Android-based tablet, with the "Kindle Fire" device carrying an unexpectedly low price tag of $199. Amazon will be introducing the tablet at its media event set to begin in just a few minutes.
The Kindle Fire will have a 7-inch display and sell for $199, compared with $499 for Apple's cheapest iPad, Amazon executives said. The device, a souped-up version of the Kindle electronic-book reader, will run on Google Inc.'s Android software, the Seattle-based company said.

Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos is betting he can leverage Amazon's dominance in e-commerce to pose a real challenge to Apple's iPad, after tablets from rivals such as Hewlett-Packard Co. and Research In Motion Ltd. have fallen short.
Previous rumors had suggested that Amazon would price the Kindle Fire at $249, although sources had hedged in recent days that the device might come in at $299.

The Kindle Fire offers Wi-Fi connectivity and a 30-day trial of Amazon Prime, the company's $79/year service that offers streaming video and free two-day shipping on most items purchased through Amazon. The tablet does not offer 3G connectivity, camera. or microphone.

We'll update this post with more information from Amazon's media event.

Article Link: Amazon Set to Unveil $199 'Kindle Fire' Tablet

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I made popcorn. Not only can't I wait to see what Amazon has come up with - I just know the comments on this message board are going to be fantastic (especially by those who are so quick to review something they haven't used and who have to slam anything non-Apple)

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Well its cheap enough. Still need more info before i decide though

EDIT: now more details have emerged i want the Kindle Touch. The price is superb!

Last edited:

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
What is the real cost of replicating the iOS / iTunes ecosystem though? I can see some of the iPad growth impacted but as to people that already buy into iPod/iPad/iPhone ecosystem will find it hard to switch

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I seriously doubt it will give the iPad any competition. But only time will tell :)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Amazon may be able to compete, IF it provides an app ecosystem as good as the iTunes app store. That hasn't happened with the Kindle... maybe the Kindle Fire will be a move in that direction?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
If it's anything like my Kindle, it's bound to be awesome. I don't feel the iPad "has it" in terms of a good device for reading. Obviously however, a tablet is used for so much more than reading.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I seriously doubt it will give the iPad any competition. But only time will tell :)

We should make a friendly wager — I think this will be huge for Amazon, and give the iPad a serious run for its money.

In any case, it's going to be fun to watch :)

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
The tablet does not offer 3G connectivity, camera. or microphone.

Allegedly (according to gizmodo) there's a follow up product in Q1 2012 which will offer all of those. That will be a more credible competitor to the iPad although by then Apple may move the game on once more with the iPad 3

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I cannot wait to see the comments on this thread(or others that will be started) its going to be epic.

At $199 this will be the tablet to beat this holiday season! They cut cost by not including items that are rarely used on a tablet(mic, camera) and just get it down to the essential.

With contents deals in place, it should be very interesting.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I wanna play with 1 before making judgement.

There's definitely a market though for it. A lot of people have Kindles and those customers will be like "Oh wow now I don't have to buy an iPad!".

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Not only can't I see some stupid troll will be bashed!

I made popcorn. Not only can't I wait to see what Amazon has come up with - I just know the comments on this message board are going to be fantastic (especially by those who are so quick to review something they haven't used and who have to slam anything non-Apple)

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Unlike everyone else trying to get traction in the tablet market to compete with Apple, Amazon has already made significant marketshare and mindshare headway with the Kindle.

$199 is the perfect price to put millions of Fires under the tree this Christmas. You can buy 2 Fires for your kids for less than the price of one iPad. I'm not implying the Fire and iPad are equivalent, but similar enough in functionality that gift-buyers will pony up $200 far more readily than $500.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is great - Apple will have to price the iPad more resonably now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.