PDA

View Full Version : Wrapsol problems.. Buyer Beware!

unamused
Sep 28, 2011, 10:38 AM
I got a 13" MBA and totally love it but wanted to protect it from minor scratches etc from daily use so I decided to get the Wrapsol skin/cover.

I ordered it directly from their website and received the product within a week in a half. I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to install it for another week or so but when I finally had a free Saturday, I pull the contents out of the box and get to work.

To my surprise, the contents were all for a MBA 11". The box is clearly labeled MBA 13" but the various components are all too small, definitely for the 11" MBA.

Anyway, I figure its an honest mistake and contact Wrapsol via their email support. After about a day, they reply and say that I have to ship the package back to them, and then they will exchange or refund the product.

I explained that I shouldn't have to pay for return shipping since it was THEIR mistake but I guess they don't care because I never got a response to that email. All I wanted was for them to ship out the correctly sized components but I guess instead they would rather lose a customer... I've never had this type of issue with zagg or BSE and those products are far cheaper.

Just a heads up for those who are debating between Wrapsol and other similar products out there.

TheRealDamager
Sep 28, 2011, 10:51 AM
I got a 13" MBA and totally love it but wanted to protect it from minor scratches etc from daily use so I decided to get the Wrapsol skin/cover.

I ordered it directly from their website and received the product within a week in a half. I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to install it for another week or so but when I finally had a free Saturday, I pull the contents out of the box and get to work.

To my surprise, the contents were all for a MBA 11". The box is clearly labeled MBA 13" but the various components are all too small, definitely for the 11" MBA.

Anyway, I figure its an honest mistake and contact Wrapsol via their email support. After about a day, they reply and say that I have to ship the package back to them, and then they will exchange or refund the product.

I explained that I shouldn't have to pay for return shipping since it was THEIR mistake but I guess they don't care because I never got a response to that email. All I wanted was for them to ship out the correctly sized components but I guess instead they would rather lose a customer... I've never had this type of issue with zagg or BSE and those products are far cheaper.

Just a heads up for those who are debating between Wrapsol and other similar products out there.

That stinks. Try calling them back or emailing Support - I've always had great response from them, and I'm guessing you just got a bad Rep.

yeungman
Sep 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
I also bought Wrapsol for my MBA 13 with high hopes. But when I installed the bottom skin, I noticed that there are no hole for the screws, which, according to their own forums, should be there. Not only that, but the holes for the rubber feet were cut way too big and they weren't centered, leaving a varying 1 to 4mm oblong gap all around each foot (see attached pic). I've installed dozens of these types of skins on all my devices, so I'm pretty experienced. Trust me when I say that I didn't stretch the skin during installation.

I contacted Wrapsol with the same picture and they replied with a really short email saying that I have their most recent cut for the MBA 13 and that they make their holes "slightly" larger for ease of installation. They didn't even comment on why there were not screw holes.

Well, I let them know that I would be peeling the skin off and returning it according with their return & RMA instructions. No reply back...

Two weeks later, I emailed them asking if they have received the skin and they replied within 24 hours that they just processed a return on my credit card for $22.05?! I got the MBA skin during their 40% off sale which comes out to $30 and I added a $10 iPad skin so I could get free shipping. Well, by returning just the MBA skin, I lost the free shipping and they deducted $8 from my return, leaving me with an $18 iPad skin. I should have returned the iPad skin as well. :mad:

I ordered a new skin from PhantomSkinz who also have a matte option for the MBA 13 and I couldn't be happier with their cut & product overall. Their bottom cut includes screw holes and perfect size holes for the feet; their wrist skin wraps all around the keyboard making it visibly indiscernible; AND they include skins for the back & sides!

TheRealDamager
Sep 28, 2011, 12:12 PM
I also bought Wrapsol for my MBA 13 with high hopes. But when I installed the bottom skin, I noticed that there are no hole for the screws, which, according to their own forums, should be there. Not only that, but the holes for the rubber feet were cut way too big and they weren't centered, leaving a varying 1 to 4mm oblong gap all around each foot (see attached pic). I've installed dozens of these types of skins on all my devices, so I'm pretty experienced. Trust me when I say that I didn't stretch the skin during installation.

I contacted Wrapsol with the same picture and they replied with a really short email saying that I have their most recent cut for the MBA 13 and that they make their holes "slightly" larger for ease of installation. They didn't even comment on why there were not screw holes.

Well, I let them know that I would be peeling the skin off and returning it according with their return & RMA instructions. No reply back...

Two weeks later, I emailed them asking if they have received the skin and they replied within 24 hours that they just processed a return on my credit card for $22.05?! I got the MBA skin during their 40% off sale which comes out to $30 and I added a $10 iPad skin so I could get free shipping. Well, by returning just the MBA skin, I lost the free shipping and they deducted $8 from my return, leaving me with an $18 iPad skin. I should have returned the iPad skin as well. :mad:

I ordered a new skin from PhantomSkinz who also have a matte option for the MBA 13 and I couldn't be happier with their cut & product overall. Their bottom cut includes screw holes and perfect size holes for the feet; their wrist skin wraps all around the keyboard making it visibly indiscernible; AND they include skins for the back & sides!

I wouldn't lose any sleep about the fact that the cut on the feet isn't perfect - the skin is virtually transparent, so who cares. On the screw holes, I think they were convinced it would be next to impossible to live them up.

ihonda
Sep 28, 2011, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't lose any sleep about the fact that the cut on the feet isn't perfect - the skin is virtually transparent, so who cares. On the screw holes, I think they were convinced it would be next to impossible to live them up.

get replacement. both my mbp skins have the screw holes cut.

TheRealDamager
Sep 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
get replacement. both my mbp skins have the screw holes cut.

The Air skins don't have screw holes. I've had 3 sets and none of them came with screw hole cutouts.

komoornik
Sep 28, 2011, 04:13 PM
I wonder why nobody else mentioned it earlier?

Coz ZAGG skins got the holes. I know not everybody wants to look inside the MBA, but I do. If you want to clean the fan after a few months, the only way to do it properly is to pop off the back panel.

psxguru
Sep 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
I went for the skins from http://www.bestskinsever.com/

They have the holes for the screws.

TheRealDamager
Sep 28, 2011, 05:08 PM
I went for the skins from http://www.bestskinsever.com/

They have the holes for the screws.

Yeah, but bestkinsever (unless they have a new product) end up leaving the Air looking shiny - don't like that look.

jmoore5196
Sep 28, 2011, 05:18 PM
I've been through two different sets of films for my 11" MBA (the first one discolored, which I thought pretty strange) and neither have had screw holes.

Other brands I've tried (Bodyguardz, et al) do have screw holes in the film.

I guess your preference may be decided by whether you think you'll need access to the interior of your MBA!

yeungman
Sep 28, 2011, 05:53 PM
As I mentioned at the end of my previous post, PhantomSkinz has the holes for the screws and also has a matte option so there's no shiny surface.

They also have 30% off until the end of November using the coupon code on their front page. :)

unamused
Oct 3, 2011, 08:08 PM
yeah, I called them the other day but their systems were down... they said they would forward the info to their shipping department to ship one out to me but so far nothing...

I will try calling again tomorrow.

I'm very upset with the way this has been handled.

I think next time around I'm going elsewhere with my money.

oneMadRssn
Oct 3, 2011, 08:53 PM
I'm very upset with the way this has been handled.

I think next time around I'm going elsewhere with my money.

Go to their facebook page and write a polite but firm complaint on there, explaining in plain english what they did wrong. Do the same in a tweet, making sure to tag them and any relevant screen protector hashtags.

If still no luck, see if you can collaborate with a few other upset customers here (like yeungman) and write a story to theconsumerist.com.

Basically, get enough bad press flowing in their direction and they will spend the $10 to shut you up.