Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Hey guys, I'm getting a hard drive upgrade from my late-2007 macbook pro. I've searched tons of articles online about restoring the system using Time Machine backups, but none of them addresses the scenario for restoring Lion to a brand-new drive on a pre-lion mac. So no internet recovery, no recovery hidden partition. Just a brand new drive with a huge Time Machine backup.

So, how should I proceed? Has anyone done this before? I would hate it if I had to fresh install snow leopard, upgrade to lion, and then reinstall all my apps and restore the preferences.

Thank you all!

- msharp

msharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Many thanks for the tip! I'll for sure look it up. I've heard of it many years ago and didn't know it was still the best option for system restoration.

After mirroring all the content to the new hard drive, I would also need to do some micro surgery with my time machine backup so that it can recognize the new hard drive and keep writing new data to it. Am I right?

Thanks!

msharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Carbon Copy. Google it.

Question for using CCC: As far as I know, CCC duplicates entire volumes to new drives. What about that invisible Lion recovery partition? If I just carbon copied the entire Macintosh HD, wouldn't it mean that I'll lose the recovery partition on my new drive?

This isn't a big deal, but I'm wondering if it's the best/right way to migrate a lion system to a new drive.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

msharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Okay, here's me answering my own question. Hopefully it'll be helpful to others.

To migrate all my stuff to the new hard drive, here's my plan:

1) Use CCC to clone all my data to an external drive;
2) Install the new hard drive to my late-2007 MBP;
3) Startup the computer and install Snow Leopard;
4) Update the Snow Leopard, and install Lion through the App Store;
5) Once get back into Lion, use CCC (or Time Machine) to restore the system.

This way we can restore my data and have the Lion recovery partition after the HD upgrade. It's a big hassle, but I just hope it'll work out without any issues. If you have any better ideas, please do let me know.

Thanks!

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hey guys, I'm getting a hard drive upgrade from my late-2007 macbook pro. I've searched tons of articles online about restoring the system using Time Machine backups, but none of them addresses the scenario for restoring Lion to a brand-new drive on a pre-lion mac. So no internet recovery, no recovery hidden partition. Just a brand new drive with a huge Time Machine backup.

So, how should I proceed? Has anyone done this before? I would hate it if I had to fresh install snow leopard, upgrade to lion, and then reinstall all my apps and restore the preferences.

Thank you all!

- msharp

If you don't mind redownloading the whole OS, you could alternatively download the firmware update Apple released a little while ago that lets you install Lion over the web, and then restore onto your new HDD. You would need to backup first though of course.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Okay, here's me answering my own question. Hopefully it'll be helpful to others.

To migrate all my stuff to the new hard drive, here's my plan:

1) Use CCC to clone all my data to an external drive;
2) Install the new hard drive to my late-2007 MBP;
3) Startup the computer and install Snow Leopard;
4) Update the Snow Leopard, and install Lion through the App Store;
5) Once get back into Lion, use CCC (or Time Machine) to restore the system.

This way we can restore my data and have the Lion recovery partition after the HD upgrade. It's a big hassle, but I just hope it'll work out without any issues. If you have any better ideas, please do let me know.

Thanks!
This seems needlessly complex and would take a lot of time. Here are two faster options:

1) Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! to clone your current system to your new hard drive. This will require a SATA to USB adapter (like this one, which I own and which works wonderfully) or an external drive enclosure - something that will allow you to have access to your current drive and the new drive. Once you've cloned the system, you just install your new hard drive and you're good to go - you can boot directly from it, and all of your data is there. It's a "clone" of your present hard drive.

2) Install your new hard drive, install Snow Leopard (or Lion, if you made an install disc), and then use the Migration Assistant to pull the data off of your Time Machine backups. Migration Assistant can be found in your Utilities folder. I did this back on 10.5 when changing computers, and it was flawless. When it was finished, it was as if I had cloned my previous system.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
If Lion is already installed: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433
This will create a backup of the hidden Recovery partition (on a USB ThumbDrive) letting you reinstall via Internet Recovery.

If you still have the Lion Installer App: http://lifehacker.com/5823096
This tutorial will show you how to make yourself a full Lion Installer DVD / USB stick.

(If for some reason you need to restore the Recovery Partition to a CD instead of a USB drive, post back and I'll walk you through it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.