PDA

View Full Version : macbook air + micro sdhc = slow speeds?

ihonda
Sep 28, 2011, 08:52 PM
so i got a 32gb class 4 micro sdhc and a card reader for the usb port (the mini one) planned to use it for my itunes and boy let me tell you its SUPER slow.. i thought class 4 would be decent enough for itunes..! its taking 4-5secs between songs. its formatted in fat 32, should i reformat it would that speed it up?

macneubie
Sep 29, 2011, 12:52 AM
this? http://www.sandisk.com/products/imaging/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards-

what I know is fast cards ain't cheap, cheap cards ain't fast.

xkmxkmxlmx
Sep 29, 2011, 01:27 AM
Personally i wouldn't try to put anything like music on a class 4 card. Try storing other files on it (pics, work/school docs, etc), and keep the music on your SSD.

oxfordguy
Sep 29, 2011, 04:18 AM
Personally i wouldn't try to put anything like music on a class 4 card. Try storing other files on it (pics, work/school docs, etc), and keep the music on your SSD.

You can pick up a 32Gb class 10 SDHC card from Amazon for about 55, that would do the job better, mind you my iTunes library is much larger than 32Gb...

blulite
Sep 29, 2011, 05:47 AM
this? http://www.sandisk.com/products/imaging/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards-

what I know is fast cards ain't cheap, cheap cards ain't fast.

I've got a Class 10 card, still getting poor performance. Is anyone getting good results with faster cards? I'm beginning to believe there's an issue on the Air (could be Lion, could be Air, probably Lion).

iApple Mania
Sep 29, 2011, 10:23 AM
Presently, I'm using SDXC Lexar brand, class 10 with 133x speed. I'd say it works fine once copy HD movie about 9 gb into it within less than 2 mins.

orfeas0
Sep 29, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hey I got an off-on topic question.
Is the built-in card reader in the 13" faster than a usb external one?
or doesn't the connection speed matter because the cards are slower anyway?

xkmxkmxlmx
Sep 29, 2011, 03:17 PM
Presently, I'm using SDXC Lexar brand, class 10 with 133x speed. I'd say it works fine once copy HD movie about 9 gb into it within less than 2 mins.

As soon as that thing drops to $100, I will be all over it :)

minnus
Sep 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
Thats very odd - I have a 16GB Class 2 MicroSD card that works fine in any other device (no 4-5 second lag between songs).

weespeed
Sep 29, 2011, 08:20 PM
I'm using a 32Gb class 4 for my pictures and itunes library. No problems at all. I've had it in the slot for over a month.

The only time I see lag is when I let my Air battery run to nothing and after I plug back in the AC adapter, the card is unmounted and I have to restart to see it again.
Then after it loads it takes a minute before I can scroll through pictures and stuff.
But after it's fine.

You might want to check your card. There are lots of bad and fake cards out there.

ihonda
Sep 29, 2011, 08:39 PM
this is a legit card straight from an htc thunderbolt box. id hope its legit... it varies, sometimes the speed is good other times its slower i have no idea what the hell is going on

im wondering if its the micro-sd USB thing im using. you know one of those flush things.. $10 from amazon.

macneubie
Sep 29, 2011, 08:47 PM
take note for most flash-based cards, write speed will be slower than the read speeds, even for premium cards like lexar. got to read the fine print.

tmoerel
Oct 9, 2011, 07:18 AM
Hey I got an off-on topic question.
Is the built-in card reader in the 13" faster than a usb external one?
or doesn't the connection speed matter because the cards are slower anyway?

Well. The internal card reader is connected via USB internally so in theory it should be as fast as an external USB reader.