Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_store_covent_garden.jpg

Apple has notified staff members at its massive Covent Garden retail store in London that the store will be closing early next Tuesday in order to accommodate a press gathering to view a simulcast of Apple's "Let's Talk iPhone" media event. The store will be closing at 3:30 PM on Tuesday, significantly earlier than its usual 9:00 PM closing time. The media event will begin at 6:00 PM London time.
Hello Team,

As we begin to start a very exciting quarter in Apple Retail, I am pleased to let you know that our Covent Garden Store will be hosting a keynote streaming event next Tuesday 4th October. This event will be a press only event and currently we have no further details on what will be presented. The store will be closing at 3.30pm to accommodate this.

This is a really exciting event for our store and we are passionate about delivering an outstanding Covent Garden experience.
Apple has in the past hosted press gatherings in London for its media events, although they have generally been held in off-site locations and not at any of Apple's retail stores.

Article Link: Covent Garden Retail Store Closing Early for Tuesday's Media Event

DaMike8

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2011
Just imagine all the people with their faces smudged on the glass doors of the Apple Store watching the live streaming of the keynote :):):):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Things are heating up!

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
Wait, the store is closing just so the workers could peacefully sit down and watch the keynote live on their Macs???? lulz

Is the whole Europe like that? I mean treating the workers so royally? :eek:

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

There must be something big in the keynote for them to shut down a store??

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

There must be something big in the keynote for them to shut down a store??

Not really. They chose that store for the press.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Wait, the store is closing just so the workers could peacefully sit down and watch the keynote live on their Macs???? lulz

yes, that is the case, oh and we only work 4 days a week.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
Just imagine all the people with their faces smudged on the glass doors of the Apple Store watching the live streaming of the keynote :):):):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

From the Front Doors of the Covent Garden Store, you cannot see the big screen, unfortunately. Im wondering why they are not doing it in the Regent Street Store, which I thought was the London Flagship Store.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia

rikscha said:

4 days a week? You poor sods! I only work 3, but they are 12 hours long per day, 35hr week :)

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom

If you actually read the article you'll notice that it's for British press who could not otherwise be at the actual event in California, or because they'd like a larger press presence from other countries, not exclusively for store employees.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
From the Front Doors of the Covent Garden Store, you cannot see the big screen, unfortunately. Im wondering why they are not doing it in the Regent Street Store, which I thought was the London Flagship Store.

Regent Street and Covent Garden are both flagship stores. Covent Garden is actually a bit bigger than Regent Street, though its spread out over several floors instead of being one big space.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Regent Street and Covent Garden are both flagship stores. Covent Garden is actually a bit bigger than Regent Street, though its spread out over several floors instead of being one big space.

But Regent Street has the mini-cinema / presentation space, which seats around 50-100, and it could be closed to the public while still allowing the rest of the store to be open.

Covent Garden doesn't have much seating space, though I guess they could fill the galley with the press. I wouldn't like to stand through a 2 hour presentation while trying to take notes.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
But Regent Street has the mini-cinema / presentation space, which seats around 50-100, and it could be closed to the public while still allowing the rest of the store to be open.

Covent Garden doesn't have much seating space, though I guess they could fill the galley with the press. I wouldn't like to stand through a 2 hour presentation while trying to take notes.

I'm sure they will have thought of seating. Not to worry.

Matbe

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
I'm taking this as news that they won't be live streaming over the web. If they were the press could just watch from their own offices surely.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
I'm taking this as news that they won't be live streaming over the web. If they were the press could just watch from their own offices surely.

I think the last live stream (September 2010) also had a similar London press event. That way Apple can physically invite the press. So it's no indicator of a live stream or not.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

They're closing 2 1/2 hours ahead, which should give plenty of time to set up some temporary seating!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Guess that means there'll be no live stream for the rest of us then if they are selecting a location for additional press.

Was really hoping they'd stream it for the rest of us. You'd still get the press and tech blogs going to the actual keynote for both the experience and the "hands on" and Q and A sessions.

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
Closing early will give them time to set up the seating... and while the event is on they can prepare the store with all the new promotional stuff and set up some displays with the new hardware (for demo purposes only of course)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Closing early will give them time to set up the seating... and while the event is on they can prepare the store with all the new promotional stuff and set up some displays with the new hardware (for demo purposes only of course)

True, if they clear out enough tables, it could create a nice bear-pit style atmosphere, with press on the ground floor and in the galley on two sides. The aesthetics of the central space at Covent Garden are certainly a bit nicer than the cinema space at Regent Street.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009

daviddth said:

rikscha said:

4 days a week? You poor sods! I only work 3, but they are 12 hours long per day, 35hr week :)

one up you - I am one of the lucky "American Dreamers" ( they keep telling us to chase the american dream, it's a scam-worked 16/7 and lost it all during the recession) and now I am lucky to get 15 hours a week at an American mega-corporate grocery store chain! Anyone in the UK need a talented American in need of work? Covent Garden Store here I come!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.