Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cberry240

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I'm looking for some suggestions on a solid plan for backing up and storing design files. Currently I have 3 external drives one WD Passport Studio 500GB (FW 400, 800 and USB 2.0), one G-Tech 250GB (FW 400, 800 and USB 2.0), and one self-built 500GB (USB 2.0).

Each has on overlapping of files so that between the 3 and my laptop I don't lose much if anything should one die.

As you might be thinking that's a pretty inefficient setup. I'm looking into something to replace the 2 of the 3 as a redundant backup/storage and so I have one portable drive do take with me that I can bring back and dump occasionally.

I've checked out Drobo and think the Drobo S 2nd Generation looks like a decent option and have a friend running one that swears by it. Wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Raid 5 or 6 NAS storing a Version Control Server (Subv or git) to check in and maintain versions of your local files. Then mirror the raid to a single volume each week to store off site (super duper or ditto to copy). Plus maybe cloud sync too for the raid or single volume?

cberry240

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
What about Synology? DS411j any advantages or disadvantages over Drobo?

thejoelhansen

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Time Machine + SuperDuper!

Hey hey,

I'm a web developer, so other than the occasional .psd, raw assets, and all my Parallels VMs I don't use too much space.

I have a 500GB drive in my MBP. I have a 500GB partition at the office plugged into the Airport Extreme (I think it's a 3TB drive partitioned up for 4 of us to back up to). That's my wireless hourly backup. Then, in the evenings I have a 500GB drive I plug into and SuperDuper! automatically smart updates to make the external a bootable mirror of my internal. The Time Machine is more for small file changes and sometimes laziness (not wanting to re download something big) while the Super Duper! is more of my emergency backup if my internal dies, since it's bootable over USB / FW.

I use both religiously and have never had any problems with either. Idk if this can be worked out with your current drives. The Time Machine can be as big as you want (depending on how far back you want to back up) while the Super Duper! works best if it's the same size as your current drive.

Hope this helps!

Joel

jononon

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I have multiple drives, but my safest back-up is a Lacie Rugged 500gb at 7200rpm. If you're moving around a lot and worried about damage then this is the drive to go with, and especially with Firewire 800, transfer speeds are decent and allows you to plug and play without the need for a power supply (USB 2.0 may require a secondary plug on some computers).

Otherwise, for convenience, I use a Lacie Rikiki, 500gb that you can fit in your back pocket.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10036

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I went with a Buffalo NAS (Raid 5) for local backup and Backblaze for off-site.

+1 for Backblaze. It's an incredible service, and very Mac-centric. I've been blown away by their customer support also.

Off-site backup is often overlooked. To all those reading: don't be caught with your pants down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.