PDA

View Full Version : Macbook air Refurbished.

wrinkster22
Sep 29, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hi all. My mom is in the market of a refurbished macbook air. Could you please help me choose a model?
Her needs/requirementents
-SD reader (13")
-13" inch screen
-sort Photos
-view photos (taking photos is her hobby, Nikon DSLR)
-Mild editing (iPhoto)
-iMovie
-space for her 40gb iTunes library
-web browsing, youtube, email
-useing her laptop to play tv shows/videos on her iTunes library.

I am leaning towards a 13" with 2gb of ram and 128 of flash storage.
Thoughts please? This will be her first mac. She loves my MBA
Thanks

deeddawg
Sep 29, 2011, 10:37 AM
-Mild editing (iPhoto)
-iMovie
I am leaning towards a 13" with 2gb of ram and 128 of flash storage.
Thoughts please? This will be her first mac. She loves my MBA
Thanks

With photo editing and iMovie, I'd lean towards the 4GB memory version over the 2GB. Memory is not upgradeable, so you're stuck where you start.

wrinkster22
Sep 29, 2011, 10:40 AM
I know but does iMove really use that much?

I forgot somethings also:
syncing her iPhone 4
syncing her iPod shuffles

Is there a difference between the Nvidia 320m and 9400m for her uses? I would like this to be as economical. May consider a macbook for 849. we could than upgrade the memory.

GekkePrutser
Sep 29, 2011, 10:41 AM
Personally, I'd wait until the new ones hit the refurb store.

More bang for your buck and excellent resale value.

Last time it took about 2-3 months so they should be showing up in the next few weeks.

orfeas0
Sep 29, 2011, 10:45 AM
I know but does iMove really use that much?

I forgot somethings also:
syncing her iPhone 4
syncing her iPod shuffles

Is there a difference between the Nvidia 320m and 9400m for her uses? I would like this to be as economical. May consider a macbook for 849. we could than upgrade the memory.

Even if 2gb is enough right now, it may not be enough in 1-2 maybe 3 years.
Do NOT buy a 2gb machine that can't be upgraded.

wrinkster22
Sep 29, 2011, 10:51 AM
Even if 2gb is enough right now, it may not be enough in 1-2 maybe 3 years.
Do NOT buy a 2gb machine that can't be upgraded.

Ok. It will Cost 1099 for a macbook air from 2010 that is 4gb of ram and 128 gb of flash. Would you suggest a macbook? for 849 it is cheaper, has a larger HD (not a ssd) ram upgradeability,but no sd slot

orfeas0
Sep 29, 2011, 11:01 AM
Ok. It will Cost 1099 for a macbook air from 2010 that is 4gb of ram and 128 gb of flash. Would you suggest a macbook? for 849 it is cheaper, has a larger HD (not a ssd) ram upgradeability,but no sd slot

Oh well, if she doesn't need the SD slot so bad, you better get the macbook. It's not as thin and light as the air, but it's still a macbook, easy to carry. Also, you can upgrade to 4gb ram (even 8gb, it's really cheap). And if you sometime decide to buy an ssd, it will be even better.

I vote for the macbook. You can always buy an external SD card reader.

deeddawg
Sep 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
Unless she needs the additional portability of a Macbook Air, a 13" Macbook Pro may be more suitable. One significant benefit of the MBP over MBA is the wider color gamut of the screen, which is helpful for a photographer. Not that the MBA is bad, but for color sensitive work it's better to use an external monitor with an MBA than the built in screen. Not a *huge* deal, but as I said if the size/weight doesn't make that much difference the MBP may be better suited. Current generation refurbs are $1019 on Apple's refurb store.

If you have a Microcenter (http://www.microcenter.com/) store nearby, brand new base Macbook Pro 13" current generation is $999 plus tax. If you're patient, you can watch their website for your local store for an openbox to pop up and go get it for $900. Only difference is you might lose a week or two of the year warranty. You *can* check out the openbox system for any physical defects before buying.

I did this last year for mine and it worked out well. I gave it to a family member when I bought my Macbook Air in August.

wrinkster22
Sep 29, 2011, 11:48 AM
Oh well, if she doesn't need the SD slot so bad, you better get the macbook. It's not as thin and light as the air, but it's still a macbook, easy to carry. Also, you can upgrade to 4gb ram (even 8gb, it's really cheap). And if you sometime decide to buy an ssd, it will be even better.

I vote for the macbook. You can always buy an external SD card reader.
It is not the weight she cares about, but she hates carrying extra things around. I know that I could put in 8gb of ram for 60$and get a third party sdd in. But it is her computer.
Unless she needs the additional portability of a Macbook Air, a 13" Macbook Pro may be more suitable. One significant benefit of the MBP over MBA is the wider color gamut of the screen, which is helpful for a photographer. Not that the MBA is bad, but for color sensitive work it's better to use an external monitor with an MBA than the built in screen. Not a *huge* deal, but as I said if the size/weight doesn't make that much difference the MBP may be better suited. Current generation refurbs are $1019 on Apple's refurb store.

If you have a Microcenter (http://www.microcenter.com/) store nearby, brand new base Macbook Pro 13" current generation is $999 plus tax. If you're patient, you can watch their website for your local store for an openbox to pop up and go get it for $900. Only difference is you might lose a week or two of the year warranty. You *can* check out the openbox system for any physical defects before buying.

I did this last year for mine and it worked out well. I gave it to a family member when I bought my Macbook Air in August.
The screen quality is fine for what she would use it for. I guess the pro is the best choice although it is considerably more money, Allthough you get an i5 processor and a 320gb HD How does micro centre undersell apple? Is there a store locator? I am in toronto BTW

deeddawg
Sep 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
I guess the pro is the best choice although it is considerably more money, Allthough you get an i5 processor and a 320gb HD How does micro centre undersell apple? Is there a store locator? I am in toronto BTW

Whoops, my fault for not noticing Toronto as your location. Sorry about that.

Looks like a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro 13" is CDN$949 on the Canadian Apple refurb store, an i5 MBP13 is CDN$1049. So $50 more than the Core 2 Duo Macbook refurb with 2GB memory instead of 4GB on the MBP's. The thing with putting in aftermarket memory and disk is that gets you re-involved if she has a problem and needs to take it to an Apple store. For her use, I'm not sure 8GB memory would provide much benefit to her usage (I don't have much experience with iMovie); do you think she'll move to Photoshop and Lightroom or Aperture?

I have no idea how Microcenter does that, but they run that price regularly; probably more often than not based on what I've seen. Locator is at the top of their website (http://www.microcenter.com/), looks like US only and the closest is a bit of a drive to Detroit. That deal is in-store only.

wrinkster22
Sep 29, 2011, 12:40 PM
Whoops, my fault for not noticing Toronto as your location. Sorry about that.

Looks like a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro 13" is CDN$949 on the Canadian Apple refurb store, an i5 MBP13 is CDN$1049. So $50 more than the Core 2 Duo Macbook refurb with 2GB memory instead of 4GB on the MBP's. The thing with putting in aftermarket memory and disk is that gets you re-involved if she has a problem and needs to take it to an Apple store. For her use, I'm not sure 8GB memory would provide much benefit to her usage (I don't have much experience with iMovie); do you think she'll move to Photoshop and Lightroom or Aperture?

I have no idea how Microcenter does that, but they run that price regularly; probably more often than not based on what I've seen. Locator is at the top of their website (http://www.microcenter.com/), looks like US only and the closest is a bit of a drive to Detroit. That deal is in-store only.

Ah no problem, I really appreciate your help. For what ever reason the lest gen and current gen macbook pro are the same price. Oh I see what you mean, yes the Macbook's are 849. I doubt 8gb of ram would do her any good, but it i s nice to know that IF she ever wants it, it is an was to do thing. I doubt she would use Photo Shop but I guess it might be a possibility of her using aperture. Allthough I Kind of doubt because all she wants to do is stuff like crop, B & W, share, cheesy effects.... Her mani thing would be sorting into folders. Well there is no way I would go to the states to get it because we would be nailed on duty and have to pay 13% tax making 1300 dollars, thus it is easier to just get the refurbished. I still kind of want her to get an air has her uses are not that taxing. Maybe we will wait till this years refurbs come in and we will get a base 13" (i5, 4gb of ram, 128gb of flash storage) That model is 1299 new so perhaps it will be down to 999 refurbished. Thankss

KPOM
Sep 29, 2011, 01:14 PM
Maybe we will wait till this years refurbs come in and we will get a base 13" (i5, 4gb of ram, 128gb of flash storage) That model is 1299 new so perhaps it will be down to 999 refurbished. Thanks

Generally, Apple discounts refurbished models at 15% initially, so that would suggest an $1100 price.

vader_slri
Sep 29, 2011, 01:18 PM
Well there is no way I would go to the states to get it because we would be nailed on duty and have to pay 13% tax making 1300 dollars, thus it is easier to just get the refurbished. I still kind of want her to get an air has her uses are not that taxing. Maybe we will wait till this years refurbs come in and we will get a base 13" (i5, 4gb of ram, 128gb of flash storage) That model is 1299 new so perhaps it will be down to 999 refurbished. Thankss

1) If you buy the $999 13" MBP from Microcenter in the US, you will likely just pay the 13% tax at the border (they seldom charge people duty). That would make it roughly $1130 (not $1300).

2) When refurbs first appear on the Apple site, discounts are usually in the 15% range. My guess is that the 2011 MBA 13" base refurb will be priced around $1100. As others have noted, it should be appearing within the next couple of weeks. Keep in mind, it will likely sell out instantly due to high demand. Edit: beaten by KPOM.

wrinkster22
Sep 29, 2011, 01:30 PM
Generally, Apple discounts refurbished models at 15% initially, so that would suggest an $1100 price.

1100 hmmm perhaps even more discounted old models than?

1) If you buy the $999 13" MBP from Microcenter in the US, you will likely just pay the 13% tax at the border (they seldom charge people duty). That would make it roughly $1130 (not $1300).
Oops my bad :p
2) When refurbs first appear on the Apple site, discounts are usually in the 15% range. My guess is that the 2011 MBA 13" base refurb will be priced around $1100. As others have noted, it should be appearing within the next couple of weeks. Keep in mind, it will likely sell out instantly due to high demand. Edit: beaten by KPOM.
I know but it will lower the price of others