Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Okay, so today, because its cheaper than actually buying a Dongle to hook up a VCR to my Mac Pro, I received a PowerMac 8600/250 with the AV Capabilities. Its currently running OS 8.1 (Its a 8600/250 with 144MB RAM and 3GB HD Space - which is pretty nice spec for a 8600, and should be fine for VHS Importing), but I can upgrade that to any OS Version (I have the lot).

My question is, does the MR/PPC Community know of any older Video Editing Programs apart from Final Cut Pro 1/2, iMovie 2, or Strata VideoShop (This came with the 8600 as part of the original bundle, and I have the discs for this) that will run on the Classic Mac OS and on pre-G3 Macs, as it appears that FCP1 won't run on a 604 (It also requires FireWire, but I have a PCI Card for that and the appropriate System Extensions) - Im not opposed to upgrading to OS 9 if I have too (I like 7.5.5 on this machine personally, as it screams, but I don't think 7.5.5 supports FW).

Does anyone have an alternative (or know if FCP1/iMovie 2 will run, and thus its worth the pain of me digging for my original install discs). If not, I guess Ill have to have another hunt elsewhere for appropriate software (It doesn't have to be superb at editing, just good enough to start, stop maybe trim and export a file that I can then process in FCP7).

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
AFAIK, iMovie 1 requires Mac OS 8 and iMovie 2 requires Mac OS 9. So, to use them, you"ll need to upgrade your OS.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
AFAIK, iMovie 1 requires Mac OS 8 and iMovie 2 requires Mac OS 9. So, to use them, you"ll need to upgrade your OS.

Thats not a problem, I have every Mac OS ever released on disc, I just can't remember if iMovie 1/2 (a) Can run on a 8600/250 (I figured it might require a G3, like FCP "does"), and (b) Supports capture from the built-in video in hardware (Or if I can get it to export at native VHS resolution to jump across to my Mac Pro and FCP7). So before I mess about with the config to try and make iMovie etc work, I thought Id ask around for any good alternatives I may've missed.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have a copy of avid for OS 9. and it works pretty good

Aahh, but can AVID work with the built in Video In/Out board of the PowerMac? (The goal is to avoid having an adapter between machine and VHS when this Mac has all the required ports). If it can Ill look into it.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I had it running on a PM 7600 with the onboard RCA and S-Video jacks and it worked just fine. Recorded, edited and played.

manicmedic99

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Mac OS9 and Avid

I have a copy of avid for OS 9. and it works pretty good

Which Avid software and what version are you using? I've been looking into what ways I can use my old G3's for video editing, and don't want to break the bank.

I'd LOVE to find one of the Early (Legacy) versions of Avid Media Composer v10, or v10.5. (not the current versions of MC 10.

Any input would be helpful.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I don't know what version it is, all i know is that it runs on OS 9 with a G3 or G4 cpu.

*edit* from the sit archive it says 3.0.2

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
One of my friend said Mac Video Editor is simple to use application specially designed for Mac OS X Lion users to edit Videos on Mac. It has versatile editing function. Are there any tips available for best and professional video editing software ?

Really? You Resurrect a year old thread to post off topic? You should start your own tread and in the digital video forum. And not the PowerPC thread. Can a moderator fix this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.