PDA

View Full Version : Case-Mate 'iPhone 5' Cases Headed to AT&T

MacRumors
Sep 29, 2011, 04:11 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/29/case-mate-iphone-5-cases-headed-to-att/)

Earlier this month, case manufacturer Case-Mate drew some attention (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/15/case-mate-preps-for-release-of-iphone-5-cases-with-revamped-design/) for promotional images that briefly appeared on its site showing cases for the rumored redesigned "iPhone 5" form factor. Case-Mate quickly pulled the page, however, replacing it with a signup form (http://www.case-mate.com/iphone-5-4s-cases/) for potential customers to receive information, as well as a note indicating that the company believes that Apple will be releasing both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models next month.

Hope for the arrival of the redesigned iPhone 5 form factor has been waning (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/29/apples-n94-iphone-4s-appears-in-inventory-database/) as Apple's media event approaches with no concrete signs of the device, but BGR reports (http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/29/iphone-5-case-mate-cases-appear-in-att-inventory-system/) that Case-Mate's iPhone 5 cases have now appeared in AT&T's inventory database.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/case_mate_iphone_5_att.jpg

The entries point to three different case designs for the iPhone 5, including versions of its Barely There (http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-Barely-There-Cases.asp), Pop! (http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-Pop-Case.asp), and Touch Case (http://custom.case-mate.com/mixandmatch/iphone-4-custom-cases/iphone-4-hybrid-tough-custom-cases/) lines. The appearance of the cases in AT&T's inventory system is certainly not significant evidence that Apple will be introducing a redesigned iPhone 5 next week, but it is interesting that the carrier is apparently at least making the effort to arrange for offering cases based on the design.

Article Link: Case-Mate 'iPhone 5' Cases Headed to AT&T (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/29/case-mate-iphone-5-cases-headed-to-att/)

macintoshdaddy
Sep 29, 2011, 04:15 PM
Is it going to be an iphone 4s or an iphone 5? Enough already!

Jbrumz85
Sep 29, 2011, 04:15 PM
Good to see some iPhone 5 stuff instead of this 4s crap

chrmjenkins
Sep 29, 2011, 04:16 PM
Barely There, for all your protection needs.

Seriously though, it could be that these are just the revision to the iPhone 4's case that they are calling iphone 5 since it is potentially the only model coming out.

yinzers87
Sep 29, 2011, 04:18 PM
Um, if the image is accurate, then there is definitely an iPhone 5 in that design. AT&T is absolutely aware of what the new iPhone is going to look like, they've already field tested it for network stability at this point. It's not as if AT&T would order cases not knowing if they were going to need them or not. They aren't the greatest mobile service, but they certainly are not complete morons.

FrankySavvy
Sep 29, 2011, 04:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Why does Macrumors keep shooting down the iPhone 5 rumors?

I think the case matte iPhone 5 cases being sent to AT&T and the WSJ article is pretty good evidence!

Here's to hoping for an iPhone 5! :)

oghowie
Sep 29, 2011, 04:20 PM

Seriously though, it could be that these are just the revision to the iPhone 4's case that they are calling iphone 5 since it is potentially the only model coming out.

Most people are assuming that if it was the same form factor they wouldn't call it the 5.

msb3079
Sep 29, 2011, 04:21 PM
How is this "not a big deal"? This is some of the most concrete evidence YET.

Muad'Dib
Sep 29, 2011, 04:21 PM
Is it going to be an iphone 4s or an iphone 5? Enough already!

I think both. Or an 8GB iPhone 4 with a new iPhone 5.

chrmjenkins
Sep 29, 2011, 04:23 PM
Most people are assuming that if it was the same form factor they wouldn't call it the 5.

Through their own logic. Nothing in Apple's numbering scheme thus far supports that. They only just recently went to the iterative number with iPhone 4.

macduke
Sep 29, 2011, 04:23 PM
I'm just glad to see any news pointing to an iPhone 5 with a new design and possible larger screen. Though I'm about to give up hope, a piece of me thinks that maybe Apple just locked down production really good this year. No serious leaks. That or they're putting all the iPhone 4S crap out there to throw people off track, when it's really just the 8GB $99 iPhone 4 model.

I'll be especially disappointed if the iPhone 5 doesn't have 64GB of storage. I'm about full on space as it is. How can we be expected to store 1080p videos? That's going to eat up a lot of space alone!! And don't tell me iCloud. No way any cell network can handle millions of customers constantly uploading large 1080p video files all over the place. At least not in the next several years.

DougFNJ
Sep 29, 2011, 04:26 PM
I'll be especially disappointed if the iPhone 5 doesn't have 64GB of storage. I'm about full on space as it is. How can we be expected to store 1080p videos? That's going to eat up a lot of space alone!! And don't tell me iCloud. No way any cell network can handle millions of customers constantly uploading large 1080p video files all over the place. At least not in the next several years.

I second this, not to mention the really good Apps are starting to come in much larger sizes. PLEEEEEEASE Apple, no matter what the design, PLEEEEEASE give us a 64GB option. :apple:

Cougarcat
Sep 29, 2011, 04:27 PM

Prepare for disappointment. The only way that would happen is if Apple introduced an additional $399 model, which seems unlikely. 64 GB flash chips are too expensive.

msb3079
Sep 29, 2011, 04:29 PM
How is this not "Front Page" news??

Hedrush
Sep 29, 2011, 04:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How is this not "Front Page" news??

It is!

djrod
Sep 29, 2011, 04:35 PM
Now we have iPhone 5!
Now we don't :(

Now we have iPhone 5!

Now we have iPhone 5!

Etc

dampfnudel
Sep 29, 2011, 04:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

No bump to 64GB would be a major disappointment. iCloud may cut it in a few years, but not this year or next year. Especially with AT&T and Verizon cracking down on data. Sony has a 64GB player, it's time for Apple to do the same.

- typed from my 64GB iPod Touch 3rd gen.

djrod
Sep 29, 2011, 04:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

No bump to 64GB would be a major disappointment. iCloud may cut it in a few years, but not this year or next year. Especially with AT&T and Verizon cracking down on data. Sony has a 64GB player, it's time for Apple to do the same.

iCloud don't work as a cloud hard drive, you have to download the media to your iPhone so you need the free space in the phone anyway

chrmjenkins
Sep 29, 2011, 04:42 PM

- typed from my 64GB iPod Touch 3rd gen.

Your iPod touch has 64GB because it can fit two NAND chips. The iPhone can only fit one, so a 64GB chip needs to be available for them to even be able to offer it. That's why you didn't see one on the iPhone 4. I believe solutions exist now, so it's up to apple for the iphone 5.

However, if they adopt a strategy more similar to Amazon's, they won't need to increase it anymore.

Reach9
Sep 29, 2011, 04:43 PM
Now we have iPhone 5!

Now we have iPhone 5!

Now we have iPhone 5!

Etc

fixed ;)

Regarding the OP, this is fantastic hope..I'm still comparing this to the iPad 2 and believing that we'll see a redesign.

DT80
Sep 29, 2011, 04:48 PM
I could tell you that my best friend works at AT&T and that he took a picture of his computer screen at work showing the inventory database..

Or i could tell you that I just made my own "inventory database" image with photoshop, took a picture with my iPhone and posted it here.

http://i51.tinypic.com/aww6lg.jpg

Easy as that..

djrod
Sep 29, 2011, 04:49 PM
fixed ;)

Regarding the OP, this is fantastic hope..I'm still comparing this to the iPad 2 and believing that we'll see a redesign.

Ooooops thanks

applesith
Sep 29, 2011, 04:58 PM
I could tell you that my best friend works at AT&T and that he took a picture of his computer screen at work showing the inventory database..

Or i could tell you that I just made my own "inventory database" image with photoshop, took a picture with my iPhone and posted it here.

Image (http://i51.tinypic.com/aww6lg.jpg)

Easy as that..

That's what I was about to do!

Duel
Sep 29, 2011, 05:03 PM
The plot thickens :)

jayducharme
Sep 29, 2011, 05:18 PM
Whoever took that original image must have done so with an iPhone 4. I can tell by that characteristic blue blob in the middle of the photo. :p

Hedrush
Sep 29, 2011, 05:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Easy as that..

Worst photoshop ever. Dont give up the day job!

The "Dude"
Sep 29, 2011, 05:21 PM
I hate to say it fellow Macheads, but I don't think an iPhone 5 is coming, if by iPhone 5 you mean a redesigned iPhone. AT&T won't find out until Tuesday what the form factor of the new phone will be, just like you and I. Yes, they do carrier testing of the hardware before it is released, but Apple hides the guts of the phone in a non-descript casing. Also, the name "iPhone 5" on those case names means nothing, as no one but Apple really knows what it will be called.

Similar form factor, A5 processor, 1gb ram, 8mp camera. Bet on it. :cool:

The highlight of this year is iOS 5, and to be honest, I'm as excited about that as I would be for a redesigned phone.

o0jelly0o
Sep 29, 2011, 05:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So where are all of the people who insist the minor spec bump iPhone 4S will be the new phone in this thread? "There is absolutely no evidence that supports an iPhone 5" .....oh wait. Haha seriously I love reading some of these people's comments.

pmz
Sep 29, 2011, 05:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

If they assume that then they assume wrong.

It's the iPhone 5, no matter what it looks like.

The "Dude"
Sep 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So where are all of the people who insist the minor spec bump iPhone 4S will be the new phone in this thread? "There is absolutely no evidence that supports an iPhone 5" .....oh wait. Haha seriously I love reading some of these people's comments.

Does it really matter what the phone will be called? Whether it is a 4s or 5, it will NOT be a major redesign.

bigjobby
Sep 29, 2011, 05:31 PM
Not convinced by the picture but still remaining hopeful. Not long now until the REAL truth.

campingsk8er
Sep 29, 2011, 05:36 PM
MWAHAHAHAHAHA

Watch Tim Cook go on stage, and say, "Now.... for the iPhone............5!!!"

And then he shows it off, and its just a spec'd up iPhone 4!

MWAHAHAHHAH :)

No matter, what they release/ announce on Tuesday, it is most likely going to be a new iPhone, so no matter what, they can call it the iPhone 5, you know why? because Apple can do whatever the hell they feel like. So take that!
MWAHAHA

PS: Remember the days when people actually had smart phones for more than a year and a half? Neither do I because people are too freaking spoiled nowadays and get everything they want, wonderful!

benmrii
Sep 29, 2011, 05:47 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/case_mate_iphone_5_att.jpg

As much as I'd like to believe we're getting a redesigned 5, I doubt it. More likely this is

a) real
b) real in the sense that Case-Mate went ahead with making cases to be first on the scene in case they did come out
c) real in the sense that they made them but AT&T isn't buying them... notice they are all marked 0

marcusj0015
Sep 29, 2011, 06:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Easy as that..

Great job, you even kept the scan lines intact!

macwatch
Sep 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
Sorry DT80, the typo gives it away (assuming AT&T can spell). Shouldn't it be "Barely"?

bigjobby
Sep 29, 2011, 06:10 PM
c) real in the sense that they made them but AT&T isn't buying them... notice they are all marked 0

A store could still receive stock if ordered through a central purchasing dept. and the '0' could reflect that none was actually ordered by the store themselves. Can't comment on how the AT&T purchasing model works but quite alot of retailers that I know of operate this way, particularly with new items.

Then again, you might well be right. :)

Oz.
Sep 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
Fake!

Lol

msb3079
Sep 29, 2011, 06:12 PM

It is!

No, it's on the side bar... "More Stories"

taylorswift
Sep 29, 2011, 06:16 PM
So much conflicting evidence! I can't take it anymore!

msb3079
Sep 29, 2011, 06:19 PM
As much as I'd like to believe we're getting a redesigned 5, I doubt it. More likely this is

a) real
b) real in the sense that Case-Mate went ahead with making cases to be first on the scene in case they did come out

They are marked "0" because they are not in stock, Einstein.

iBreatheApple
Sep 29, 2011, 06:34 PM
why is this in the iOS blog?

Muad'Dib
Sep 29, 2011, 06:37 PM
why is this in the iOS blog?

Where should it be?

monoskier
Sep 29, 2011, 06:53 PM

Image (http://i51.tinypic.com/aww6lg.jpg)

Easy as that..

Sorry DT80, the typo gives it away (assuming AT&T can spell). Shouldn't it be "Barely"?

at least he spelled CASE right

Teste
Sep 29, 2011, 07:20 PM
Whatever Apple releases next week, I'm sure they will call it an iPhone 5, even if it's just what we are calling an iPhone 4S.

The case-mate doesn't mean anything, then. It could be for a redesigned iPhone 5, but it could be just a case almost exactly like the one for the iPhone 4, aiming the "iPhone 4S".

I wish we got the "real" iPhone 5, but considering there's no tangible evidence of one, I think all we will get will be the 4S. I hope I'm wrong, though.

PK44
Sep 29, 2011, 07:27 PM
Seems like yesterday I was getting teased about a redesign for a MBP (2011 spec bump) and was a little let down after all the leaked images from various sites. Deja vu to say the least as this will be my 2nd mac product. Others have said it though, once the initial disappointment settles in everyone moves on.

Now I haven't been around here long and haven't followed the trends as long as everyone else, but I don't believe they did a keynote for the 3gs and instead they covered it in the WWDC that year. And why release ios5 (confirmed fall 2011) on an iPhone 4x? There's just too many rumors about the iPhone 5 including cases, etc.

Then again.... past releases line up yearly and seem to point to a 4gs.

What the hell do I know... I'm so confused! :rolleyes:

Thefan
Sep 29, 2011, 08:07 PM
Ok non-believers, I want to hear why you think there isn't an iphone 5 now. We've seen documentation for a tweek'd 4 and 4s in Apples inventory and now AT&T has ordered cases from Casemate for an iphone 5. An Apple engineer has confirmed through the New York Times that there is a revamped iphone 5 with all the rumored specs coming in October. Pour on the new excuses, I'm all ears, haha!

----------

Haha! And the rediculous excuses begin! haha.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Why does Macrumors keep shooting down the iPhone 5 rumors?

I think the case matte iPhone 5 cases being sent to AT&T and the WSJ article is pretty good evidence!

Here's to hoping for an iPhone 5! :)

I wish I knew, because 9to5mac headlined it, and didn't sideline it like here on macrumors.

----------

a) real

Here's another one ladies and gents, haha.

Awjvail
Sep 29, 2011, 10:33 PM
"Barley There".

http://www.healthorwealth.ca/s/10017/barley.jpg

Otterbox "Communter".

Fake.

accessoriesguy
Sep 29, 2011, 10:52 PM
I am not sure if I should be glad that apple has their conference in less than a week or sad that I still have to wait more!

Muad'Dib
Sep 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
"Barley There".

Otterbox "Communter".

Fake.

Yeah, that was the point. He made a fake to prove the original could be fake as well.

iBreatheApple
Sep 29, 2011, 11:20 PM
Where should it be?

No you're right, an iPhone case leak should totally be in an operating system blog/// :eek:

Muad'Dib
Sep 29, 2011, 11:25 PM
No you're right, an iPhone case leak should totally be in an operating system blog/// :eek:

Pay attention :rolleyes:

iOS Blog Discussion (51 Viewing)
iPhone, iPad and iPod touch news, software, tips, and gear

DT80
Sep 30, 2011, 02:48 AM

Check the original.. AT&T can't spell! Cae-Mate.. Or Case-Mate?

As i said, i copied the text, even the wrong spelling :D

milo
Sep 30, 2011, 08:59 AM

You could say the latter...and you'd look pretty foolish once those cases start showing up in stores...

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/29/iphone-5-silicone-sleeves-already-arriving-at-att-retail-stores/

macgirl91
Sep 30, 2011, 10:07 AM
This looks like a fake excel worksheet. There are repeated mispellings throughout it. Someone did this to stir up rumors. They messed up Case-mate and a few other things. I'm assuming that when they order things they don't hand-type things in, they select from a menu of what they want and or have already recieved. Sorry :(

Muad'Dib
Sep 30, 2011, 10:22 AM
Humans type in the products into the AT&T inventory system. They sometimes mispell them.

While you are correct in saying it could be a faked Excelp spreasheet, your reasoning for saying it is in fact fake is weak.

soco
Sep 30, 2011, 10:25 AM
I'm concerned by the other thread about the cases arriving to AT&T stores. They seem so unlike anything AT&T would put on their own shelves and more like something an "Authorized Retailer" got from China.

If this is proven fake or misleading, it's icing on the cake.

mrkramer
Sep 30, 2011, 08:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that what we see will be called the iPhone 5. I'm beginning to doubt that we will really see two models, my guess is that the 5 will be what we've been calling the 4s. I'll be happy with whatever comes out, but if we get two new phones that would just be the icing on the cake.

sanjaygauchan
Sep 30, 2011, 10:53 PM
Have you guys noticed that there is 0 value for the iPhone 5 cases. This means that they are not been bought yet in my opinion. But other cases have some value at the side.

iKream
Oct 3, 2011, 04:19 AM
Only one day seven hours and 41 minutes left!

DT80
Oct 4, 2011, 05:14 PM
You could say the latter...and you'd look pretty foolish once those cases start showing up in stores...

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/29/iphone-5-silicone-sleeves-already-arriving-at-att-retail-stores/

Well.. Who looks foolish now? But you can buy yourself a iPhone 5 case and put on your new iPhone 4s that just got launched :D

Now you know how much junk is being made in asia, just to fool people..