Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarik1124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
I currently use a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 with an 2 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 3 Ghz processor (quad core) with 8 GB RAM at 667 Mhz speed, 4 MB of shared L2 Cache, and a buss speed of 1.33 Ghz. It currently has two 250 GB internal hard drives, and the 2 other drive bays are empty.

I use the the mac pro for Digital Audio Production primarily, along with other types of media composition, like photoshop, illustrator, and so on..

I am about to embark on the Komplete 8 Ultimate bundle by Native Instruments. For those that don't already know, it is a 240 GB external usb hard drive, full of raw sounds and includes Komplete 8, plus other things as well.

I was truly under the impression that the processors and the single-chip micro architecture of the internal components made the 2011 iMac truly a better computer than the Mac Pro (minus the expandability of course). I was already going to have to spend a couple hundred on replacing the internal drives inside. I would have to take out the first 250 GB drive which is a start up disk, and replace it with at least a 1 TB drive. Then, I would want to look into purchasing an external glyph drive as a secondary to record in.

What I am wondering is this. Am I making a mistake seling the Mac Pro 1,1 that I currently possess (along with a digi 003 mixer as well, both for a total of $2400), and moving into the smaller iMac 2011 3.4 quad i7. Given that I have never even replaced the current NVIDIA GPU inside, and have never installed, upgraded or replaced anything in the PCI slot department, I figured this might not be a bad idea.

Obviously, the 27" screen is very seductive, when thrown in with what already comes standard with the 3.4 quad i7 iMac. Am I making a mistake? Should I, say, save the 2400, that I would spend on the iMac, and buy a refurbished 8-core Mac Pro? I really had my heart set on a cinema display finally, since in all the years I owned my Mac Pro, I have been using a stinky acer 22" on it.

Please provide as much detailed advice as you can. I haven't made the sale yet, and I really would like to be dead positive on this.

I do feel like I need a new computer, and not just want a new computer. I don't get many CPU trip ups running just logic or maschine standalone. Pro Tools is the only thing that causes CPU trip ups. If I don't buy a new computer, I'll have to buy new Hard drives anyway. I have been doing a lot of reading on the ultimate differences between current generation mac pros and current generation iMacs. Some people say Mac Pro's are becoming obsolete, and other's say depending on what your current uses and needs are, they would probably go with a Mac Pro any day of the week, if money isn't an object of course.

For me money is an object. My parents could assist me in a heart beat if they so chose, but they haven't chosen, so I'm on my own on this one.

I spoke to a sales rep at apple, who said that he would probably stick with what I have because he said the Xeons are very heavy duty processors. And that I am going to notice more of a difference with video editing on the new iMac than I would ever notice with Digital Audio. He acted like not only would the iMac be over kill for my current needs, but so is my current computer. Last time I heard, when working in professional commercialized environments, over kill is welcome anytime and usually what is preferred. The more over kill, the less CPU errors in my opinion.

I also hear that the new iMac's have really bad over heating issues near the top rear vent. I also hear they are noisy. I am very confused to say the least. I will say this to people. I don't have a personal business yet where I have to support myself and pay my own rent and utility bills through my record label or recording studio. I have no clients, but I am very serious about music, and plan on doing this the rest of my life. I want to be a recording engineer in the hip hop industry, and I aspire to be a big beat producer one day. That is one reason why I am embarking on the komplete ultimate package. I figured, add that to 3.4 quad i7 imac, and you got one hell of a beat box system in front of you.

Once again, it's either keep my Mac Pro 1,1 (and I should also mention that I also own a 2.8 ghz core 2 duo macbook pro, with 4 GB ram at 1067 mhz). So if I do sell the mac pro, and decide to wait and save my 2400, I can continue to make beats on the laptop in the mean time. I shouldn't be down for a day. So it's either keep the mac pro 1,1 and add new hard drives to it and go with what I got, or purchase a new system. The question then is, since I have no current clients and am basically looking for a currently faster CPU, to buy an iMac with the beautiful screen, or buy a refurbished 8-core mac pro from like 2010. I would still get a much bigger and better computer that way, with the exception of the much coveted apple cinema display which my heart throbs for.

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
Do you want to have a machine that you can use in four years like you've done with your current MP? If so, get the 2011 Mac Pro. If not, the iMac, while a great machine, will not last as long as your MP, will not be as "future-proof".

As for the cinema display, you could get a non-apple monitor that will be perfectly functional, probably better than your current Acer, for much less.

Another option to consider is getting another laptop to replace the old one...the higher end 15" and 17" MPB are quite powerful, and enough for recording audio. And, of course, you could buy a display if you sold your old MBP as well.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
Yeah I have a 2.2 i7 15" and it is very very fast, it's just smashing all the CPU related tasks for it

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
Sorry for the late reply.

I have an original MP (I did upgrade the CPUs though) and I wouldn't give it up for an iMac if you paid me. My wife's iMac, despite being 5 years newer, does NOT hold up in Logic the way my MP does.

Buy a used Mac Pro, drop a CPU upgrade since it's out of warranty anyway, and enjoy. I paid like $200 for the upgrade and did it myself in 15 min.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.