PDA

View Full Version : Creaking sound...what will an "Authorized Service Provider" do?

BlueIS3
Sep 29, 2011, 08:21 PM
I've had the 13 inch 2011 Air for about 3 weeks. I'm noticing a creaking sound when I handle the right hand side of the palm rest. I've seen threads on getting the iFixit tool to adjust the screws but I am not sure I want to go this route.

The closest Apple store is two hours away. There is however an "Apple Authorized Service Provider" nearby. (I did not buy the computer here.) Does anyone know what kind of service they are authorized/capable of doing for this kind of problem? (I do have AppleCare).

Thanks

jackyyeow
Sep 29, 2011, 09:33 PM
What will Authorized Service Provider do?

"Screw it". :D

No seriously, what you can ask them to do, which is easy enough and doesn't take much time, is to tighten the screws. If it doesn't work maybe some components inside the machine wasn't screwed tight.

TheRealDamager
Sep 29, 2011, 10:05 PM
Same issue here. You just have to tighten the screws on the bottom plate. Either buy the $15 driver from ifixit.com, or have you reseller do it. Worked like a charm for me.

stark4
Sep 30, 2011, 01:07 AM
is the temporary fix ? Do we have to tight the screw every now and then?

TheRealDamager
Sep 30, 2011, 09:36 AM
is the temporary fix ? Do we have to tight the screw every now and then?

I've done it on both a 2010 and a 2011 Air, and only had to do it once. But thats just two data points.