Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, so I have had my 13" MBA since 8/2/11. Today I went in to Thousand Oaks Apple Store because of my speakers were "popping" and a creaking noise from the bottom panel. Within 5 minutes of explaining my problem I was walking away with a brand new in original packaging box!!

45 days out of my return window and they still honored it. Did a full swap out and I am so happy! Popping in speakers are no longer present and the bottom panel is even sturdier. Still have the Samsung SSD which is another great plus!

macneubie

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011
great to hear that. but how do you test the popping sound from the speakers? playing some MP3s?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
great to hear that. but how do you test the popping sound from the speakers? playing some MP3s?

Yeah it would occur with any higher pitch sound, iTunes, Netflix, YouTube and ect. As time went on it became more noticeable at mid-level sounds. The guy listened to it for 5 seconds and said it needs to be replaced.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
45 days out of my return window and they still honored it.

I am not knocking your experience, they are indeed usually good at making these things happen without frustration... but this made me think you're looking at it incorrectly.

Technically, you exchanged it, yes. But you're getting a new one under warranty. Which you have a year for. It was not a traditional 14 day exchange/swap.

I am only pointing this out so you realize the difference for when, if unfortunately in the future, you have another issue within your year warranty. Don't hesitate to bring it back in.

Every single time I have had an Apple issue under warranty (and sometimes not), they have just given me a brand new one of whatever it was.

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
This is slightly scary. I too have the beginning of the creaking issue, not bad- yet- and I was hoping that the solution was doable, simply, without an exchange. I would much rather not risk my "supposed" dual Sammy advantages- screen & SSD to the luck of the draw, and risk incurring the time investment needed to transfer all my settings and data.

It is perfect in every other respect.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
I think MBA are hard to fix because everything is so small in there.. So it easier for them to just gave you a brand new one..

Then they will fix it later on and sell it back as Refurbished for $100 less. Now everybody is happy and they still make profit.. lol :D

btw did they give you a brand new box sealed or did they open it infront of you and just hand you the MBA only? i'm just thinking what if you didn't bring your original box or charger.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I think MBA are hard to fix because everything is so small in there.. So it easier for them to just gave you a brand new one..

Then they will fix it later on and sell it back as Refurbished for $100 less. Now everybody is happy and they still make profit.. lol :D

btw did they give you a brand new box sealed or did they open it infront of you and just hand you the MBA only? i'm just thinking what if you didn't bring your original box or charger.

I've been reading a lot of problems online about the speaker popping and apple giving brand new replacements so I brought my box and charger. They did a full exchanged. Returned it, scanned up a new one and I was on my way.

They could have easily sent it in to be repaired, that was the first thing the manager suggested but I told him I am taking 3 online classes that require a computer, my iPad doesn't like the website, it bugs out on me. Anyway he said then we will just give you a brand new unit, easier for both of us.

And because of this I am starting with a fresh one year warranty, after owning an air for 2 months!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Apple refurbs these units at nearly no cost and then sells them for nearly full price.

This is why they are so willing to do swaps like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.