Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is there a huge difference between the camera on the Air and Pro? I also have an iPhone and people tell me that the quality is very good. Is the iPhone camera the same as the one on the Pro?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
not entirely sure which camera is in the iphone.

but the camera in the MBP and MBA are different. The MBP uses the "HD" camera, capable of photos and video at 720p resolutions, while i'm pretty sure the MBA uses a standard 480 resolution.

this was done to save on size as it's easier to fit a smaller, lower quality camera into the MBA

However from what i've been told, the Camera in the MBA, while not high resolution like the MBP is still very clear

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Lordvic is correct, the MBA doesn't have the HD support. However for Skype or Facetime use its more than enough. The quality of the image is very good. Don't be mislead by the low resolution, it is a high quality camera.

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
According to Apple, the HD camera is 3 times the resolution of the previous camera (the ones in the current MBA's), and have improved low-light performance. I own both, and the MBP's camera is clearer, but the difference isn't very noticeable.
The front facing camera on the iPhone 4 is VGA quality, and the back camera is 5MP. The MBP's camera is better than the front facing camera but not as good as back camera.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Lordvic is correct, the MBA doesn't have the HD support. However for Skype or Facetime use its more than enough. The quality of the image is very good. Don't be mislead by the low resolution, it is a high quality camera.

I see. So, when would the HD quality really come into play? Would it be just using it to record videos?

How would the MacBook Air camera and the iPhone 4 camera compare? Would the iPhone 4 be considered to be HD and therefore better than the MacBook Air?

Thanks...

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I see. So, when would the HD quality really come into play? Would it be just using it to record videos?

How would the MacBook Air camera and the iPhone 4 camera compare? Would the iPhone 4 be considered to be HD and therefore better than the MacBook Air?

Thanks...

the front or back camera on the iphone 4?

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
The most up-to-date version of Skype recently added support for 720p camera in the MBP, so when you're chatting your friends will get clearer video. FaceTime also supports 720p video, but only between the newest iMacs and MBP's. Photo Booth and iMovie also take advantage of the better camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.