PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Macbook Air via HDMI

Faux Carnival
Sep 30, 2011, 04:06 AM
Hello, I bought a Kanex Mini DP to HDMI cable. (not an adapter)

So, I want to connect my computer to a Full HD TV. I plugged in the cable. The image is so grainy, literally nothing is visible. What might be the problem?

After I plug in the cable, is there something I should do additionally? The image is not mirrored by the way. I see different things on the screens. Plus, I can't control the cursor on the TV.

Hellhammer
Sep 30, 2011, 04:08 AM
Have you checked the resolution from display preferences? It should be plug&play.

Faux Carnival
Sep 30, 2011, 04:24 AM
I can't see Plug&Play. Under Displays, the resolution is set to 1440x900.

Hellhammer
Sep 30, 2011, 04:50 AM
I can't see Plug&Play. Under Displays, the resolution is set to 1440x900.

Plug&play = Plug it in and it works without any tweaks

You should have two resolution there. The 1440x900 is for your MBA's screen, while the TV should have 1920x1080. If the TV is not recognized at all, then it sounds like your cable is defective.

Faux Carnival
Sep 30, 2011, 05:46 AM
I finally got it working. I set the TV's resolution to 1080p. However, the display doesn't fill up my TV screen.

The bigger problem is, the display is still grainy. Flickering white dots appearing all over the screen.

Hellhammer
Sep 30, 2011, 06:22 AM
I finally got it working. I set the TV's resolution to 1080p. However, the display doesn't fill up my TV screen.

The bigger problem is, the display is still grainy. Flickering white dots appearing all over the screen.

Sounds like there is a problem with your cable. I would get it changed.

Faux Carnival
Oct 4, 2011, 01:24 AM
I tested the cable with a Macbook Pro 2009. It seems to work fine.

Is there a problem with my port? Is this problem due to the new Thunderbolt or should all cables work fine?

deeddawg
Oct 4, 2011, 06:50 AM
If everything is just fine with the same cable and TV with a MBP, then it sounds like you have a problem with your Air. You shouldn't be seeing a grainy white-flecked display. I'd have Apple take a look at it.

I use a third-party HDMI adapter with my MBA for both a 46" Samsung TV and a 24" 1080p monitor. Works fine with a very crisp image. I did have to bump up the underscan setting (Preferences->Display) a little on the TV.

bwhinnen
Oct 4, 2011, 07:04 AM
I use a Moshi mini DP to HDMI adapter for my MBA with no troubles. Full 1080p on the Samsung via the Onkyo 706. Samsung is set to 1:1 pixel mapping by default.

lukekarts
Oct 4, 2011, 07:57 AM
Rather than duplicating topics I have a question.

Is it simply a case of buying an HDMI to Mini Display Port adapter and plugging it in?

Is there anything specific ref spec of the adapter or any brands recommended that I should be aware of?

Thanks

deeddawg
Oct 4, 2011, 09:32 AM
Yes and no. After plugging in the adapter, you may need to go to SystemPreferences->Sound to set sound output to go to HDMI. This should be remembered and switch batch & forth when you plug in / remove the adapter. You may also want to go to SystemPreferences->Displays and adjust the underscan setting depending on the device you're attached to. I needed to do that for my TV, but not for my 24" monitor. Also make sure you set the Display preference not to mirror displays else you may get some wonky results; set the HDMI output to 1080p or 720p as appropriate to the device you're attaching to.

Also, it used to be important to ensure you bought a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter that supported audio since earlier Macbooks didn't support audio to HDMI. I believe this is less of an issue these days.

I've seen good reports about the adapter from monoprice.com which is also a great source for good, inexpensive HDMI cables.

Macman45
Oct 4, 2011, 09:33 AM
Or maybe...The TV? OP: what's the make and model of your TV?

NurJahan
Oct 4, 2011, 09:39 AM
I've seen good reports about the adapter from monoprice.com which is also a great source for good, inexpensive HDMI cables.

I second monoprice. I got mine for ~$8 shipped

Faux Carnival
Oct 4, 2011, 12:27 PM
Do you think I'll get a replacement or is Mini Displayport/Thunderbolt port repairable?

Hellhammer
Oct 4, 2011, 12:54 PM
Do you think I'll get a replacement or is Mini Displayport/Thunderbolt port repairable?

Thunderbolt is part of the logic board so it can be fixed by replacing the whole board.

Faux Carnival
Oct 4, 2011, 03:46 PM
Thunderbolt is part of the logic board so it can be fixed by replacing the whole board.

So the SSD gets replaced? I'm worried about my personal data.

deeddawg
Oct 4, 2011, 06:20 PM
So the SSD gets replaced? I'm worried about my personal data.

It shouldn't. The SSD is not soldered in and unplugs from it's spot.

JHUFrank
Oct 5, 2011, 03:21 AM
You back up that data before you take it in. YOU are responsible for your precious data, don't trust it with anyone.

Faux Carnival
Oct 8, 2011, 02:45 AM
The situation is getting even more interesting. It turns out that my Mini Displayport is fine. I tested with an Apple display.

To remind you, I had a Kanex Mini Displayport to HDMI cable. It doesn't work on my 2011 Macbook Air but it works on a 2009 Macbook Pro.

alexfromsg
Aug 9, 2013, 01:36 AM
hey there , seems for me i have the same issue
i wanna connect my macbook air 13" to my dell S2340L 1080P,
seems like when select resolution for dell at 1080P, the monitor will have the same flash issue, really bad, so wondering how r u solved your issue?

and for me i also tested the cable with my gf's macbook pro, seems perfectly fine.

thanks!

AXs
Aug 9, 2013, 03:23 AM
Hello, I bought a Kanex Mini DP to HDMI cable. (not an adapter)

So, I want to connect my computer to a Full HD TV. I plugged in the cable. The image is so grainy, literally nothing is visible. What might be the problem?

After I plug in the cable, is there something I should do additionally? The image is not mirrored by the way. I see different things on the screens. Plus, I can't control the cursor on the TV.

Use Moshi miniDP to HDMI. It works great. worth the 30-40bucks. And depending on where you buy it from, you may get 1 year warranty as well. I did.

You can get the low-cost chinese replicas, but from experience - they're going to break or dieout not long after you get em.

m98custom1212
Aug 9, 2013, 07:27 AM
I picked one from monoprice $6.65. Monoprice has a lifetime warranty on their cables

AXs
Aug 9, 2013, 08:18 AM
'Lifetime warranty' is just a marketing pitch. There's always an ambiguity, or a catch... especially at value stores.

Good luck getting it replaced in 3 months.

But eh, on another note, you could buy 5 this year and still would have spent less than I did so I guess it's a good buy regardless for people that live there.

m98custom1212
Aug 9, 2013, 08:46 AM
'Lifetime warranty' is just a marketing pitch. There's always an ambiguity, or a catch... especially at value stores.

Good luck getting it replaced in 3 months.

But eh, on another note, you could buy 5 this year and still would have spent less than I did so I guess it's a good buy regardless for people that live there.

I always had good luck with Monoprice

by Monoprice Administrator
Hello,

Thank you for your review. And I am truly sorry to hear of your experience you have had with this product. For now, if you prefer, I can assist you in setting you up for a replacement on the item if you haven't done so already. We do warrant our non-electronics and cables with a lifetime warranty as well as a 1 year warranty for electronics. It will be of no additional cost to obtain a replacement, so please let me know if you want to continue. I would just require your order# to set it up. Alternatively, if you are truly unsatisfied of the item I can assist you in setting up a return. Thank you!

John Lingo
Tech Support