PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning keyboard and trackpad?

bp1000
Sep 30, 2011, 04:37 PM
Do you find the glass trackpad becomes less slippy over time?... is the best way i could describe it.

There seems to be some minor resistance compared to when it was new.

I do clean the keyboard, chasis and trackpad with a pH balanced baby wipe each week. I wonder if this is the best method of cleaning?

How does everyone else clean their mba's ?

Thanks,

McGiord
Sep 30, 2011, 04:42 PM
I use clorox and then a water wet paper towel and then dry paper towel.
Hand sanitizer gel also works pretty well.
There are some windex wipes out there, supposed to be stark free but my experience with them had not been very effective.

Brandon0448
Sep 30, 2011, 05:16 PM
I use my breath and my t-shirt.

psxguru
Sep 30, 2011, 05:26 PM
A micro fibre cloth either on it's own or with a light mist of iklear

WeetaBiXie
Sep 30, 2011, 06:25 PM
Liquid Organic Cleaner (L.O.C) - Will clean any smudges or even stains, must be diluted, so a bottle goes a very long way!
Soft Cloth - A lint free soft cloth, one damp with L.O.C. and the other to dry
Blusher Brush! ("Borrowed" from my wife)

kulimer
Sep 30, 2011, 06:48 PM
I have the same question, did uncle Steve ever said anything about this?

Poindexter333
Sep 30, 2011, 07:26 PM
I can not imagine that ANY cleaner containing a solvent or strong chemical like alcohol or bleach can be safe on these devices- anywhere- unless expressly told by an authorized source.

I use Monster Screen cleaner lightly sprayed on a microfiber cloth. Period. Not paper, as there must not be lint. I use it inside and out and it gets rid of every smudge and smear on every surface.

I also use the free app Keyboard Cleaner, that "locks" the keyboard while you clean.

The original bottle I bought back in 2008 is still not empty yet, even with friends grabbing it at every opportunity at the coffee shop. My previous MBA's and now the new one are all sparklingly new looking, and stay that way.

McGiord
Sep 30, 2011, 08:15 PM
I had used alcohol since the Apple II+, and never had any problem.
The trackpad has a glass surface.
The only thing I am aware that can stain the aluminum is lime or lemon juice.

Quad5Ny
Sep 30, 2011, 08:48 PM
I had used alcohol since the Apple II+, and never had any problem.
The trackpad has a glass surface.
The only thing I am aware that can stain the aluminum is lime or lemon juice.

+1 for alcohol

Poindexter333
Sep 30, 2011, 09:11 PM
Apple recommends and sells Sanus, and Bausch & Lomb products. Both are alcohol and solvent-free. That and water are the only substances Apple recommends to use on their products. I would imagine that they know best.

scarred
Sep 30, 2011, 09:29 PM
I use a microfiber cloth for the trackpad and rest of the aluminum. It's actually the one I got with my iPad case way back when. Works very well. Maybe every 3 to 4 days. Once in a while I'll dampen it and use the smallest amount of soap.

I got a keyboard protector (Moshi Keyguard) so I don't have to worry about shiny keys. I just use soap and water (scrub real hard) to clean the protector. Once a week.