Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selloutt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Why can't i reinstall w my LION USB on my 2010 mba ?
just curious

why can't i reinstall with my LION usb on my 11" 1.4/4/64ssd mba from nov 2010 ? my LION usb works on all my other non-ssd MacBooks and mbps....

any ideas ?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
If you are refreeing to the USB stick that Apple includes with MB Airs that shipped with Lion, then the reason it won't work is that Apple specifically caters those towards whatever system they ship with. They work the same way the grey restore DVDs worked; I.e. You can't do a fresh install on a MacBook with discs that came with a Mac Mini.

If you are finding that Lion seems to install on other machines with the USB stick, it's probably because Apple didn't intentionally block all machines with it; just previous MBAs so people couldn't circumvent buying Lion on the app store.

If you are referring to a Lion USB that YOU made with a Lion dmg file, then not sure why it isn't working.

selloutt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
ash yes sorry i should have been clearer. its a usb stick of lion that i made. it actually will work as an upgrade, but i can boot the machine from it (by holding down the option key) to get into disk utilities...

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
he wouldn't be as there isnt one, current MBA's and Minis get no install media with them

Lol clearly I haven't bought a mac recently. Forgot they have stupid recovery partition now.

I just yesterday made a bootable flash drive from Lion updater (originally downloaded on a mid 2011 iMac) and installed it on my late 09 Mac Mini with zero problems.

Are you trying to perform upgrade install or fresh install? You say you can use the Lion disk utility, but not install?

If you are wiping the ssd clean first, make sure you use "erase" and have the format set as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.