Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJ2YmX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
This is kind of a funny but I would like to read some of your comments about this huge blizzard games in general (I know that Diablo III is not out yet but will be like WOW?) and how the performance will be in the new generation of apple laptops MBA and MBP

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
They're totally different genres of game.

I'd also expect performance to suck on any MBA, as well as the 13" MBP with the crappy integrated Intel graphics card.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
WOW and D3 are different beasts.
Blizz has already published the system requirements

MINIMUM SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

PC
OS: Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
Processor: Intel Pentium® D 2.8 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4400+
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better

Mac
OS: Mac® OS X 10.6.8 or newer | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better

All Platforms
HD Space: 12 GB available HD space | Memory: 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/
Windows® 7 users, 2 GB for Mac® users) | Drive: DVD-ROM drive | Internet: Broadband Internet
connection | Display: 1024x768 minimum display resolution

(Note: Be advised that some wireless connections do not meet the minimums required to be a true Broadband Internet connecton. Wireless results may vary.)

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

PC
OS: Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Latest Service Packs) | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz | Memory: 2 GB RAM | Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or
ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better

Mac
OS: Mac® OS X 10.7 or newer | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo | Memory: 2 GB RAM
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI Radeon™ HD 4670 or better

Off1c3r

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
This is kind of a funny but I would like to read some of your comments about this huge blizzard games in general (I know that Diablo III is not out yet but will be like WOW?) and how the performance will be in the new generation of apple laptops MBA and MBP

I didn't get my MBP yet, but as an orignal D1 and D2 player, and from watching D3 videos and seeing what its like, its just a very super improved version of D2. A type of third person, top camera view RPG hack and slash. The only parts of WoW or an MMO in general you will see in this game (these features are shared across genre anyway) is custom gear, levels, grouping, instances, etc..

As for the performance. From the MBP specs, CPU's should be fine as long as you have at least 4GB ram. For the graphics, the AMD Radeon HD 6750M on the 15" series is really your best bet. That card I have used and as long as you don't max out the settings on any modern game, you will do fine. The Medium-High range is usually what that card can handle for most games. Don't even bother with the MBA and a game like that :)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

PC
OS: Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Latest Service Packs) | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz | Memory: 2 GB RAM | Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or
ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better

Mac
OS: Mac® OS X 10.7 or newer | Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo | Memory: 2 GB RAM
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI Radeon™ HD 4670 or better

Just me that is baffled that it system reqs are much lower on OSX than Windows?
GF 260 is twice as fast as 330M, same with 4870 vs 4670???
Or do they just mean mac users doesn't care so much about performance and graphic quality

Or is the game OpenGL optimized instead of directx

JJ2YmX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
I didn't get my MBP yet, but as an orignal D1 and D2 player, and from watching D3 videos and seeing what its like, its just a very super improved version of D2. A type of third person, top camera view RPG hack and slash. The only parts of WoW or an MMO in general you will see in this game (these features are shared across genre anyway) is custom gear, levels, grouping, instances, etc..

As for the performance. From the MBP specs, CPU's should be fine as long as you have at least 4GB ram. For the graphics, the AMD Radeon HD 6750M on the 15" series is really your best bet. That card I have used and as long as you don't max out the settings on any modern game, you will do fine. The Medium-High range is usually what that card can handle for most games. Don't even bother with the MBA and a game like that :)

Actually you will be surprise I was running Starcraft II and WoW in my MBA this morning and is pretty good =D

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Actually you will be surprise I was running Starcraft II and WoW in my MBA this morning and is pretty good =D

Yes but the end of the day it's all subjective and comes down to each individual's personal expectations. I wouldn't play those games on a MacBook Air.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I'd also expect performance to suck on any MBA, as well as the 13" MBP with the crappy integrated Intel graphics card.
Actually, WoW doesn't suck on a Mac with Intel HD 3000 laptop provided you have plenty of RAM and don't go crazy with the resolution and draw distance. It runs surprisingly well in fact at 1280*720 on my Thunderbolt Display, or 1280*800 on the internal screen. (You need the RAM to avoid paging to disk, which is terribly slow if you have a harddrive-equipped Mac.)

You have to realize the latest version of Intel graphics is much faster than any previous incarnation. While it won't win any gold medals by a long shot, it's more than serviceable in many games if you tune graphics settings correctly. So don't bag undeservedly on this thing, it works, and works quite well actually thankyouverymuch. :)

oklaonion

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
As another poster said, it all depends on expectations. I've been content running graphics on low in Blizzard games because they do such a good job making them look good on low settings. I actually bought my 2009 entry level MBP with integrated graphics in preparation for D3 ans SC2, ironically enough. I just didn't have the disposable income to give two games an extra boost. It runs SC2 just fine on low-medium and I expect D3 to be about the same. D3 will run fine on any recent Mac, but if you want to run High-Ultra settings you'll need to get choosy.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
How does WoW compare to Solitaire? Is the game play similar and is WoW as feature rich? I would also like to know if Doom 3 is as good as Angry Birds, I enjoy the game play of Angry Birds and heard that Doom3 was a good game as well, so maybe I would enjoy that as well.

;););)

Off1c3r

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
How does WoW compare to Solitaire? Is the game play similar and is WoW as feature rich? I would also like to know if Doom 3 is as good as Angry Birds, I enjoy the game play of Angry Birds and heard that Doom3 was a good game as well, so maybe I would enjoy that as well.

;););)

Solitaire is by far a bigger and much scarier game when compared to Doom 3. I usually let my 8 year old cousin play Doom 3 but I would never let him near Solitaire. I mean seriously.. you want the kid having nightmares all night???

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Wow, the system requirements for Diablo III seems a little higher than normal for a Blizzard game.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Diablo III runs on my iMac (the first 24 inch metal framed model, so a few years old; must be near the min. requirements). the graphics are probably at the lowest setting but it still is totally playable. Looks much better than Diablo II :) I'm sure it will look great on something newer.
The game is lots of fun. the beta is short; like you can get through in 1.5 to 3 hours. I couldnt find any bugs

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011

"Force" from Force Strategy Gaming has the best coverage of the beta. This should give you an excellent idea of what Diablo III is all about.

http://youtu.be/dHLzcl7IwxM

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Yes but the end of the day it's all subjective and comes down to each individual's personal expectations. I wouldn't play those games on a MacBook Air.

Yes but the MBA can still play both of those games perfectly fine. Even if it isn't high settings it can still play it without any hiccups. I found the trick for playing WoW if you limit the FPS to 30 with mostly low settings it takes a huge load off of the poor integrated graphics.

I assume the Air will be able to play Diablo III but don't expect much over low settings for the graphics.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Just me that is baffled that it system reqs are much lower on OSX than Windows?
GF 260 is twice as fast as 330M, same with 4870 vs 4670???
Or do they just mean mac users doesn't care so much about performance and graphic quality

Or is the game OpenGL optimized instead of directx

Aren't those just the best mac video cards you could get, when the requirements were leaked?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yes but the MBA can still play both of those games perfectly fine. Even if it isn't high settings it can still play it without any hiccups. I found the trick for playing WoW if you limit the FPS to 30 with mostly low settings it takes a huge load off of the poor integrated graphics.

I assume the Air will be able to play Diablo III but don't expect much over low settings for the graphics.

You're missing my point and not undestanding what I said. I'm sure they can be played on an MBA. The point is those low graphic levels and frame rates are not acceptable to everyone including myself. You may be fine with it but I refuse to play games at their lowest settings and such a low frame rate. The game play experience includes having decent graphics and frame rate in my opinion otherwise it's just not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.