PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch my 2010 MBA for 2011 model

ohenriquez
Oct 1, 2011, 02:54 AM
Dear members

I have the highest end model MBA late 2010, I use it for iWork, internet, Preview PDFs and some multitasking, I don't play games. My work is mainly research. It is worth the upgrade? I have read that the new model is faster, but will I notice real difference in my daily use?

I am looking for some threads about this, I have not found something specific to my case so far

Thanks for your help

Omar

nebulos
Oct 1, 2011, 02:58 AM
I am looking for some threads about this, I have not found something specific to my case so far

MR advanced search for '2010 (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=24471498)', thread titles only.

DeBilbao
Oct 1, 2011, 03:24 AM
I've just recently switched from a 2010 MBA (Core2Duo 1,86 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB Samsung SSD) to a new 2011 MBA (Core i5, 4GB RAM, 256 GB Samsung SSD) and based on your comments, I think you will get no performance upgrade for your daily tasks.

I'll try to explain my motivation for switching. My 2010 MBA was fantastic, but when I saw the announcment of the new 2011 models, I felt instantly betrayed by Apple: the specs of the 2011 model were the ones that should have been present in the 2010 model. It's not acceptable to have such an update in 9 months.

A much better Core i5-i7 SandyBridge processor - Core2Duo is an outdated arquitecture from 2006 -, a promising Thunderbolt port and of course... the backlit keyboard. I didn't kenw how much I missed it until now that I've got it back. Who decided to take it out from the 2010 model?

As soon as I saw the new model the idea of getting the new one came to my mind. It's not easy to sell the old model for a reasonable price, and It has cost me two months to get it sold.

I've also upgraded the hard drive with the top of the lineup - i've been lucky getting the Samsung 256 GB model - and the extra space makes really a huge difference, but you already have that on your 2010 model.

The new Bootcamp 4.0 is also an added benefit, and I've partitioned and installed easily Windows 7 Ultimate x64 in a 50 GB partition. Windows 7 runs definately smoother with the Core i5 processor and for anyone thinking about running Windows 7 natively, the upgrade is really worth it.

:):):)

calvol
Oct 1, 2011, 03:52 AM
For general use, upgrade to 2011 only if you want a lighted keyboard or TB.

ZipZap
Oct 1, 2011, 11:09 AM
Totally a LOOSING approach. Dont do it...I'm not.

Beanoir
Oct 1, 2011, 04:32 PM
Dear members

I have the highest end model MBA late 2010, I use it for iWork, internet, Preview PDFs and some multitasking, I don't play games. My work is mainly research. It is worth the upgrade? I have read that the new model is faster, but will I notice real difference in my daily use?

Thanks for your help

Omar

No, save your money and keep what you have. Pointless upgrading unless you find what you currently have isn't good enough, which doesn't sound like the case to me.

Go spend the money on something fun! :)

DarwinOSX
Oct 1, 2011, 04:53 PM
I always have to have the latest fastest thing but for most people it won't matter. Wait for the next rev. I don't think you will notice any difference.

Dear members

Thanks for your help

Omar

iAppl3Fan
Oct 1, 2011, 04:55 PM
If the backlit keyboard is important to you then yes it worth the upgrade. Otherwise you won't see any difference in daily tasks.

DarwinOSX
Oct 1, 2011, 04:57 PM
I'm sure you know that the ULV (ultra low voltage) version of this processor suitable for the Air did not exist until recently. Thats why the usually short upgrade cycle.
Plus the Core 2 Duo is not the same as 2006. Its smaller and faster with bigger and faster cache.

I'll try to explain my motivation for switching. My 2010 MBA was fantastic, but when I saw the announcment of the new 2011 models, I felt instantly betrayed by Apple: the specs of the 2011 model were the ones that should have been present in the 2010 model. It's not acceptable to have such an update in 9 months.
A much better Core i5-i7 SandyBridge processor - Core2Duo is an outdated arquitecture from 2006 -, a promising Thunderbolt port and of course... the

MrXiro
Oct 1, 2011, 08:44 PM
As a 2010 MBA owner I say, nah don't waste your time and money... wait for Ivy Bridge, that's what I'm doing.

2IS
Oct 1, 2011, 10:27 PM
As a 2010 MBA owner I say, nah don't waste your time and money... wait for Ivy Bridge, that's what I'm doing.

It's what I'm doing as well... Maybe. I may hold out even longer than Ivy Bridge. Haswell perhaps? For my general computing tasks I just don't see needing more than the C2D and 4GB ram can provide anytime soon. If I do upgrade, there needs to be more significant changes than merely a more powerful CPU. Like an IPS display and/or 50% longer battery life. A faster CPU would be of little benefit to me, but those two things would be a great benefit.

alflavor
Oct 2, 2011, 12:42 PM
For your usage which is similar to mine, I'd stick with the 2010 model. I am doing, and will probably see what 2012 brings.

KPOM
Oct 2, 2011, 04:19 PM
I've just recently switched from a 2010 MBA (Core2Duo 1,86 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB Samsung SSD) to a new 2011 MBA (Core i5, 4GB RAM, 256 GB Samsung SSD) and based on your comments, I think you will get no performance upgrade for your daily tasks.

A much better Core i5-i7 SandyBridge processor - Core2Duo is an outdated arquitecture from 2006 -, a promising Thunderbolt port and of course... the backlit keyboard. I didn't kenw how much I missed it until now that I've got it back. Who decided to take it out from the 2010 model?

The Sandy Bridge processor wasn't available in October 2010, and the Arrandale Core i5/i7 had unacceptable GPU performance, particularly in the 18W ULV chips that were the only ones that might have worked in the MacBook Air. That's why Apple stuck with the Core 2 Duo for another 9 months, since they were able to pair it with a better integrated GPU (they can't do so with any model Core i3/i5/i7). The specific Sandy Bridge chips that are used in the current MacBook Air weren't released until June 2011, about a month before the new design came out.

However, Apple had a significantly improved design overall, and wanted sales in the holiday season. As you point out, for many users, the Core 2 Duo model was and is perfectly adequate for their uses. Regarding the backlit keyboard, I think Apple was trying to determine what content they could take out without risking a customer backlash. It was put back into the 2011 model since there was high demand for it.

For your usage which is similar to mine, I'd stick with the 2010 model. I am doing, and will probably see what 2012 brings.

Makes sense. The 2012 will have better battery life. It will also have better graphics performance (good enough for moderate gaming vs. the light gaming that the Sandy Bridge is capable of).

BENJMNS
Oct 2, 2011, 10:39 PM
only if you have money to burn

tmoerel
Oct 9, 2011, 07:07 AM
Dear members
Omar

Well. I have the 2011 13" ultimate after having a 2010 13" ultimate. In my experience the backlit keyboard is a great asset. I alway thought i wouldn't care about it but as soon as i started using the MBA in a dimly lit room i realized what i missed out on.
As for the processor speed. I do a lot of photo processing and software development so i really notice the speed increase. The only thing that should be a bit slower is the GPU but as i do not game on a MBA i do not notice this at all.

The thing is that i upgraded to a 2011 version through some special deal but seeing how much an improvement it is for me i would have willingly paid for the new machine.

In the end what matters is what you do with it and if you have the disposable income to get it.

Tom

bmat
Oct 9, 2011, 07:20 AM
I went from a 2010 11 inch ultimate to a 2011 11 inch 1.6 i5. For for my basic tasks, there is no real noticeable difference -- although when I upgraded the 2010 to 10.7 it did seem a little more sluggish at first for some tasks.

I would not upgrade again, even though I did so essentially for free. For one, I just get the feeling that my battery life is a little less -- and you can't use things like coolbook for extended battery life. For two, the 2011 gets warmer than the 2010 did.

iApple Mania
Oct 9, 2011, 07:31 AM
Personally, sell out 2010 and upgrade to 2011.
It's worth enough.

Mac32
Oct 9, 2011, 02:20 PM
Well, it depends.. If you have bucketloads of cash, and plenty of money to burn...go for it. If you have a reasonably limited budget like most of us, skip the 2011 version, and wait for 2012 version with USB3, much better intergrated graphics and cooler CPU.

DieterRams
Oct 10, 2011, 07:46 PM
It's what I'm doing as well... Maybe. I may hold out even longer than Ivy Bridge. Haswell perhaps? For my general computing tasks I just don't see needing more than the C2D and 4GB ram can provide anytime soon. If I do upgrade, there needs to be more significant changes than merely a more powerful CPU. Like an IPS display and/or 50% longer battery life. A faster CPU would be of little benefit to me, but those two things would be a great benefit.

What about 8GB RAM option?

2IS
Oct 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
What about 8GB RAM option?

Completely unnecessary for what I (and the vast majority of consumers) use their MBA for. If there was an 8GB option when I bought mine, I'd have still went with 4.

Greg M
Oct 10, 2011, 09:21 PM
I don't notice any difference in my daily usage of my 2011 over the 2010 that I had. I switched because I needed the lighted keyboard. I'm very glad I made the switch.

halledise
Oct 10, 2011, 09:54 PM
I don't notice any difference in my daily usage of my 2011 over the 2010 that I had. I switched because I needed the lighted keyboard. I'm very glad I made the switch.

+1

Lion as standard is both a blessing and a curse - it's taken me longer to get my head around this version of OSX than any prior one.

I'll upgrade next year to the next Air when it arrives - I figure the $300 - $400 p.a. that one drops is well worth it for the advances made each time; especially if you get the timing right when selling the old one :)

eric/
Oct 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
Don't do it. Wait, save you money and get the next upgrade instead.

dlubis
Oct 10, 2011, 11:57 PM
I'd just switched my 2010 MBA 11-inch to 2011 MBA 13-inch, should be arrived tomorrow morning. Why? One important reason: bigger screen! Hopefully I made a right decision.

ThomasBoss
Oct 11, 2011, 01:17 AM
If the 2010 does everything you need, I would keep it since you won't get all the money back for the 2010 model and will end up loosing money...
Save up for the next version if you really want to :)

*Adam West*
Oct 11, 2011, 03:03 AM
I have recently been in the same situation as Omar, but for different reasons. I don't really think you'll notice much of a difference between the 2010 and 2011 models for the reasons listed.

For me the upgrade will be worth it. I have sold my 2010 ultimate 13" and will be picking up the 2011 13" in a day or two. At the moment the air is my only machine as I am waiting for the new Mac Pro's to come out. I really need more screen real estate as well so I wanted to get a 27" apple moniter. I didn't like the thought of getting the cinema display instead of the thunderbolt display so I got rid of the 2010 air. Most of the work related tasks I use my Mac for are very processor intensive (3D rendering), so the upgrade will help with this. Although I haven't been able to do much work related tasks recently since the air has been my only machine for the past three months and will likely be the same for the next three months. However I did buy the air to play around on and browse the internet rather than working on.

So unless you need thunderbolt, and want a backlit keyboard I don't really think you need to upgrade because it doesn't seem like you are maxing out your processor with the tasks you listed. However I haven't actually used the 2011 model yet so my opinions probably not that valid.

miggitymac
Oct 11, 2011, 03:37 AM
Wait for Ivy Bridge...lest you feel betrayed by Apple again.

Jaro65
Oct 11, 2011, 07:29 AM
I agree with the responses stating that for your use pattern (which is similar to mine) it simply may not be worth it. I tried out the 2011 13" MBA for two weeks, only arriving to the conclusion that in my regular use there was no substantial performance difference. The lit keyboard is great and the machine overall is fantastic. At this stage though, I will wait for Ivy Bridge. Hopefully then we'll also see some noticeable graphics performance improvement and an option to add 8 GB RAM.

iKennett
Oct 11, 2011, 08:12 AM
I went from the 2010 version the the 2011 version via an Apple Care replacement. Not noticing too much... the only stand out thing is the the back lit keyboard which I love... but that is it.

mikekey
Oct 31, 2011, 11:47 PM
I purchased my 2010 about two months before the 2011 came out. Kinda ticked about that. But with the rumors of a possible 15inch Macbook Pro that is as thin as the Air coming out early 2012 I'm willing to see what the next revision brings.

Xikum
Nov 1, 2011, 03:36 AM
For daily programming tasks, there is really no need, unless a backlight keyboard is worth hundreds of dollars for you. I own a 2010 C2D model, and its more than powerful enough to handle word processors/safari/etc; which is all I really use it for.

Unless your doing some hardcore CPU intensive work, the upgrade is throwing money towards speeds you will never achieve. I always find it amazing how much money people on MacRumours apparently have to through at Apple without using their brains...

mikekey
Nov 1, 2011, 11:13 AM
For daily programming tasks, there is really no need, unless a backlight keyboard is worth hundreds of dollars for you. I own a 2010 C2D model, and its more than powerful enough to handle word processors/safari/etc; which is all I really use it for.

Unless your doing some hardcore CPU intensive work, the upgrade is throwing money towards speeds you will never achieve. I always find it amazing how much money people on MacRumours apparently have to through at Apple without using their brains...

Yup I couldn't agree more. I'm a web developer/designer and regularly have safari, firefox and chrome with dozens of tabs open. MMAP running, coda, photoshop and transmit and usually also have ical and mailplane running in the background. And thru either itunes or pandora running via adobe air and I rarely see any problems. Actually I haven't yet unless I open a zillion youtube pages in firefox.

I went from a 2009 Macbook Pro with 2.5ghz and 6gb ram (upgraded) and a 500gb 7500rpm to my current 2010 1.8ghz 4gb 250gb ssd and I'm happy. I think it even runs zippier than the MacBook Pro, which is probably mostly due to the SSD.

I'd be curious to see what pans out for the Air's future as far as memory. I'd like to see more memory personally.

I've only noticed how slow this is one time when I tried to run handbrake and it told me to come back in 55mins.

ecib
Nov 1, 2011, 02:17 PM
You have to be very Zen about your technology purchases imo, because from the moment you lay your money down, it's just a few months to a year (max) before that same pile of money will get you so much more in terms of specs.

The only sane way to do it is just identify your use-case, and purchase a machine that will serve it well over the amount of time you intend to own it.

Just repeat to yourself "I have no need for this! I have no need for this!" like a mantra as endless desirable specs and features that you don't have get brought to the market and the rumor mill :P

Not very easy is it? ;)

heyloo
Nov 1, 2011, 03:13 PM
Just repeat to yourself "I have no need for this! I have no need for this!"

I've been saying that to myself.

at the Best Buy, where I picked up my 13" MBA few days ago.

Repeating that DOESN'T help. :D:apple:

Xikum
Nov 1, 2011, 03:24 PM
Yup I couldn't agree more. I'm a web developer/designer and regularly have safari, firefox and chrome with dozens of tabs open. MMAP running, coda, photoshop and transmit and usually also have ical and mailplane running in the background. And thru either itunes or pandora running via adobe air and I rarely see any problems. Actually I haven't yet unless I open a zillion youtube pages in firefox.

I went from a 2009 Macbook Pro with 2.5ghz and 6gb ram (upgraded) and a 500gb 7500rpm to my current 2010 1.8ghz 4gb 250gb ssd and I'm happy. I think it even runs zippier than the MacBook Pro, which is probably mostly due to the SSD.

I'd be curious to see what pans out for the Air's future as far as memory. I'd like to see more memory personally.

I've only noticed how slow this is one time when I tried to run handbrake and it told me to come back in 55mins.

Yep, exactly. For general consumer use, a C2D processor with 2-4 GBs of RAM is perfect (and lets not forget the the C2D in the 2010 Air isn't the same C2D that was released 6 years ago or whatever it was), and the SSD makes it much faster than what you might think.

The only time you will realise a difference is when it come to CPU intensive work; like you said, your example was using Handbreak.

But some people really just have an unreasonable desire to do everything quickly, no matter how much it will cost them. I use Handbreak on my i5 iMac, and it takes no time at all to convert a DVD. If I did it on my MBA, I know it would take probably twice as long (maybe 20 minutes or something if it was all I was doing); now, is that extra time really worth hundreds of dollars? Absolutely not. People really need to be realistic, and I get the impression on MacRumours that some people just seem all too happy to give Apple bundles and bundles on money, for machines that if they just spent a time thinking about, they would realise they dont really need the upgrade.

Hell, I remember speaking to a guy on here who had 3 MacBook Airs (2 11"s and 1 13"), a couple iPads, a MBP and an iMac. What the hell is the point in that? He said something like he thought Apple deserved the money; if you ask me, people like that are completely brainwashed. But hey, thats just my opinion, who am I to tell people how to spend their hard-earned cash.

Jobsian
Nov 1, 2011, 03:34 PM
Wait for the Ivy Bridge update.