Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meaty

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
anybody else having problems with their chargers? two days ago my original one went out. when i plugged it in there would be a dim green light on but it wouldn't charge my laptop. went to apple store to get it swapped. this is my second one and it just stopped working. i kept it plugged in while using my mba and it said 100% charged. i restarted and the computer and now it says only 37% charged. the charger light won't turn on or anything

just wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with this also. i know its just a simple swap but its getting kinda annoying.

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
Mine died after around 6 weeks, from the current mid-2011 13". They handed me another one immediately at the Store- no questions asked. It too started to not charge the computer, or light the indicator lights at first.

Luckily I had a spare charger- from the older MBP with its "T" plug end, that fit the new Rev E. and its straight-in MagSafe port- versus the Rev. A angled port.

I just don't know what it is with Apple, but they seem to have more than their share of cord and charger issues. Over the years- on almost every class of Mac laptop I've owned, from the PB100, 540c through TiBook and first gen MBA's- including iPhone cabling too- their chargers and cables have always seemed to be troublesome. I have so many devices that survive years and years of use, and still look almost new, but I doubt I have any working chargers or USB cabling that are much over a year old.

Still, a small price to be paid for such small glitches in otherwise exceptional products.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Mines fine, occasionally i may have to unplug and replug it though, however my friend had some weird problems with his. the light would not go on, it would not say its charging (when it is) he had it swapped though and its been fine ever since.

meaty

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
just got back from the mall with a new one and it doesn't work... i forgot to have them check it because i was in a rush and my sister was waiting :( so this is my third defective charger. both times the store was out of stock, so they had to replace it with a retail charger, so I'm guessing many are having this problem?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Sound like they may have bad a bad production batch or two. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I keep the small 45watt charger it came with in the bag and use it if I need it when I'm not home, which is pretty rare as the battery life is typically enough to last me the entire work day. When I come home I use a larger MBP charger.

Before I got the MBP charger I noticed the MBA adaptor would get quite hot under load vs the MBP brick that barely breaks a sweat. Perhaps Apple made it a little TOO small?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Had the same problem with my MBP. Was a bad logic board and a bad MagSafe charger board. If you are having a problem with your third charger it is definitely something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.