PDA

View Full Version : Just Sold 2011 13" Air - Can new owner download iLife Free?

mrwonkers
Oct 1, 2011, 06:34 AM
Hi I just sold my 2011 13" Air and I erased and reinstalled Lion b4 giving it to its new owner. Can the new owner download iLife for free or do they have to buy it from the App Store?

rdowns
Oct 1, 2011, 07:13 AM
Hi I just sold my 2011 13" Air and I erased and reinstalled Lion b4 giving it to its new owner. Can the new owner download iLife for free or do they have to buy it from the App Store?

iLife can be reinstalled from the original system CDs. It can not be downloaded for free.

KPOM
Oct 1, 2011, 07:17 AM

If you already "accepted" iLife 2011 using your Apple ID on that Mac then the new owner will need to repurchase it. Yes, it is a bit annoying, but that's the new licensing (it's tied to your Apple ID and can be used on 5 Macs).

OT, but what was your reason for selling the 13"?

Jemi9OD
Oct 1, 2011, 07:17 AM
iLife can be reinstalled from the original system CDs. It can not be downloaded for free.

There are no original system CDs with a 2011 MBA, so I'd guess that the new owner will have to supply iLife on his own.

mrwonkers
Oct 1, 2011, 08:40 AM
If you already "accepted" iLife 2011 using your Apple ID on that Mac then the new owner will need to repurchase it. Yes, it is a bit annoying, but that's the new licensing (it's tied to your Apple ID and can be used on 5 Macs).

OT, but what was your reason for selling the 13"?

I sold the 13" because i'm gonna have to carry my MacBook Air everyday to work and the 13" just didn't feel that portable to me. I am in love with my 11" Airs so much that I have bought 2 [I always like to have 2 Macs at all times that way should one have to go in for repair I always have a backup - I quite often use them both to do different tasks simultaneously]

Not a big fan of Apples no restore media in the box philosophy at all, and the fact that at resale the new owner has to repurchase software that originally came with the machine as it is all tied in to your Apple I.D. I feel is a bit sneaky.... Not everybody on this planet has fast internet with high monthly download quotas yet Apple....Poo Poo 2 U!

YOKOJP
Oct 1, 2011, 09:28 AM
I sold the 13" because i'm gonna have to carry my MacBook Air everyday to work and the 13" just didn't feel that portable to me. I am in love with my 11" Airs so much that I have bought 2 [I always like to have 2 Macs at all times that way should one have to go in for repair I always have a backup - I quite often use them both to do different tasks simultaneously]

Not a big fan of Apples no restore media in the box philosophy at all, and the fact that at resale the new owner has to repurchase software that originally came with the machine as it is all tied in to your Apple I.D. I feel is a bit sneaky.... Not everybody on this planet has fast internet with high monthly download quotas yet Apple....Poo Poo 2 U!

did you get the I7 or I5 and how's the heat and fan noise?

thanks in advance

mrwonkers
Oct 1, 2011, 09:37 AM
did you get the I7 or I5 and how's the heat and fan noise?

thanks in advance

I bought the i7 first it ran quite hot the battery life was crap, fan noise was only an issue when pushing the machine. I returned the i7 mainly due to poor battery life for my uses.
I then bought an i5 which has better battery life for me and does not run as hot at all but it still can get quite warm. I liked the i5 11" MacBook AIr I bought 2 :p

The i7 may be worth it for some people but the tradeoff just wasn't there for me, I love my i5 11" Air - It is my favourite Mac ever...

YOKOJP
Oct 1, 2011, 09:50 AM
I bought the i7 first it ran quite hot the battery life was crap, fan noise was only an issue when pushing the machine. I returned the i7 mainly due to poor battery life for my uses.
I then bought an i5 which has better battery life for me and does not run as hot at all but it still can get quite warm. I liked the i5 11" MacBook AIr I bought 2 :p

The i7 may be worth it for some people but the tradeoff just wasn't there for me, I love my i5 11" Air - It is my favourite Mac ever...

Thanks for the quick reply.

I currently have the 13" i5 and it runs super cool even watching couple of flash videos. no fan noise at all.

I want something more portable so, I've decided to give my wife the 13 MBA and get myself the 11 MBA.

My main concern is the fan noise. I don't really care about the heat as long as the fan doesn't kick in all the time. If you said the I5 has less fan noise compared to the i7 then i might just get the i5.

Thanks again.

Confuzzzed
Oct 1, 2011, 10:24 AM
off piste, but if it helps I also agonised between 11' and 13'. In the end the battery life was the clincher for me as I am often on the road for the whole day and carrying my charger would have meant no real saving on weight. With the 13', I can just about get by all day with one charge. But I also love the 11' for its portability and you can even hold in one hand. It's as close you will get to iPad portability but with a proper computer under the bonnet. Either way, you can't lose. Excellent machines.