PDA

View Full Version : Returning item in hopes of getting samsung?

Berius
Oct 1, 2011, 08:41 PM
How can i tell which screen and hard drive i have? Can i find a reason to return it to apple so that i could have both samsung?

Potential first time mac owner.

Pipper99
Oct 1, 2011, 09:08 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192807

wpotere
Oct 1, 2011, 09:16 PM
How can i tell which screen and hard drive i have? Can i find a reason to return it to apple so that i could have both samsung?

How about being happy with what you have. :rolleyes:

stark4
Oct 1, 2011, 09:46 PM
dont abuse apple's good return policy..

Brandon0448
Oct 1, 2011, 09:53 PM
dont abuse apple's good return policy..

+1 This is no need to return a perfectly fine MBA because of who the hardware was made by. Both sets of hardware pass the same quality inspection and Apple wouldn't of used them both if one was inferior.

2IS
Oct 1, 2011, 10:19 PM
wonderful, another one of "those" guys... :rolleyes:

3dflyboy1
Oct 1, 2011, 10:53 PM

Just buy it and don't worry about which friggin SSD model you get.

Young Spade
Oct 1, 2011, 11:24 PM
+1 This is no need to return a perfectly fine MBA because of who the hardware was made by. Both sets of hardware pass the same quality inspection and Apple wouldn't of used them both if one was inferior.

I mean, you say that, but the Samsung SSD is better.

If somebody is charging over a grand for something, you'd at least think there wouldn't be discrepancies. You wouldn't go and buy a car from a dealership if there was a 5050 chance of getting one with crappy tires on it would you?

No way, you'd take that thing back and get the one with the higher quality tires that would last you a few more years. If you had any sense anyway.

Analogy applies here. One could argue that they're both "good"; but paying over a grand for a computer and having discrepancies in internals? Makes no sense to me.

TheRealDamager
Oct 1, 2011, 11:27 PM
Here's the thing - YOU CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN NORMAL USE. People need to stop obsessing about things that don't matter.

summitRun
Oct 1, 2011, 11:40 PM
WOW...why is this question still being asked? OP - in case you haven't figured it out from the previous 8 posts...buy your new MBA and get on with it. THere is no need whatsoever to be pondering this...

2IS
Oct 1, 2011, 11:43 PM
If somebody is charging over a grand for something, you'd at least think there wouldn't be discrepancies. You wouldn't go and buy a car from a dealership if there was a 5050 chance of getting one with crappy tires on it would you?

More like crappy analogy. There are no crappy SSD's or crappy LCD options on the MBA. The Samsung SSD may score higher in benchmarks, but it's garbage collection isn't as good.

The Samsung LCD has slightly better viewing angles but the LG has slightly better contrast ratio according to anandtech.

For your analogy to work, either the toshiba SSD or the LG LCD needs to be crappy. Neither is the case.

As for as the car deal. My vehicles cost more than a grand (as with most others) and identically optioned can come equipped with either Bridgestone or Dunlop tires. Point being, cost is not a factor. Having multiple manufacturers for the same part is not exactly uncommon.

stark4
Oct 2, 2011, 01:35 AM
More like crappy analogy. There are no crappy SSD's or crappy LCD options on the MBA. The Samsung SSD may score higher in benchmarks, but it's garbage collection isn't as good.

The Samsung LCD has slightly better viewing angles but the LG has slightly better contrast ratio according to anandtech.

For your analogy to work, either the toshiba SSD or the LG LCD needs to be crappy. Neither is the case.

As for as the car deal. My vehicles cost more than a grand (as with most others) and identically optioned can come equipped with either Bridgestone or Dunlop tires. Point being, cost is not a factor. Having multiple manufacturers for the same part is not exactly uncommon.

+1. enough said