PDA

View Full Version : A Breakdown of Tuesday's Possible iPhone Releases

MacRumors
Oct 2, 2011, 12:33 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/02/a-breakdown-of-tuesdays-possible-iphone-releases/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/iphone_oct4_event_invite1.jpg

After following some of the comment threads on the latest stories about the new iPhones, it seems clear there's a lot of confusion about what is coming on Tuesday. The combination of Apple code numbers and natural use of the term "iPhone 5" has led to a lot of confusion about what to expect.

Here's a breakdown of all the current rumors about what could possibly be coming out on October 4th.

iPhone 4 (N90A)
- The iPhone 4 but with reduced storage capacity (8GB)
- Otherwise identical to iPhone 4
- Will replace the iPhone 3GS which presently sells for $49 with contract.

iPhone 4S (N94)
- iPhone 4 case design (3.5" Screen), but improved internals
- CDMA and GSM in one phone, "World Phone"
- HSPA+ (at least 14.4mbps)
- 1GB RAM
- A5 Processor
- SGX 543MP2 GPU (Same as iPad 2)
- Assistant Voice Recognition

iPhone 5 (N??)
- Tapered case design (mockup (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/this-could-be-what-apples-iphone-5-looks-like/))
- ~4" Screen
- Presumably same specs as iPhone 4S (see above)

The source of much of the confusion is the natural use of the term "iPhone 5" to simply refer to the next-generation iPhone that Apple will be launching on October 4th.

Several retailers and carriers are beginning to list "iPhone 5" on their websites, which some readers seem to take this as evidence for a redesigned iPhone. Those companies' use of the term "iPhone 5" is not referring to any particular design (tapered or otherwise) but are simply placeholders. They are simply using the term "iPhone 5" as an naturally descriptive term to mean "the iPhone that comes after the iPhone 4".

One reader confirms (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13443172&postcount=182) these suspicions:Its a place holder in their logistics and inventory system. Friend of mine works for a large international carrier in managerial level and has no idea what's coming. They only know it's the new iPhone but that's the far as it goes. These are the same guys who are responsible for day to day operations so that explains why you have something like iPhone 5 in the inventory lists as a placeholder. You have to be a top executive have real knowledge of future iPhones and those guys have nothing to do with these lists.The most recent rumors suggest that the iPhone 4 will become the low end iPhone, while the "iPhone 4S" will become the top of the line. There has been no evidence that the tapered iPhone 5 design is actually in production.

Article Link: A Breakdown of Tuesday's Possible iPhone Releases (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/02/a-breakdown-of-tuesdays-possible-iphone-releases/)

Zutarano
Oct 2, 2011, 12:35 AM
What about the 8 megapixel camera?

arn
Oct 2, 2011, 12:38 AM
What about the 8 megapixel camera?

Seems like 8MP in 4S.

arn

samsandy
Oct 2, 2011, 12:38 AM
I Hope they put apple A6 into the iPhone 5 and it should destroy most android phones :)

otissmithd
Oct 2, 2011, 12:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Problem is some people have reported that the A5 is necessary to use apples new assistant feature (due to processing demands). Would they rerelease the iPhone 4 when it couldn't run one of the key iOS features since it only has the A4. Has apple ever sold an iPhone model that couldn't take full advantage of the iOS software? Would they rerelease a 16 month old phone for another 12 months only with reduced storage?

There were proven references to 4S in the iTunes beta, what about the iPhone 5 references in radioshack's database and all the case leaks?

oliversl
Oct 2, 2011, 12:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If there is a new iPhone 5, it must be the best keep secret

arn
Oct 2, 2011, 12:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

There were proven references to 4S in the iTunes beta, what about the iPhone 5 references in radioshack's database and all the case leaks?

Read the entire post to see why the "iPhone 5" Radio Shack references don't mean anything.

arn

samsandy
Oct 2, 2011, 12:44 AM
Ya, I left that out on purpose. that's one that's more conflicted. I'd guess 8MP camera in N94.

arn

I really hope they have an 8MP camera because most new phones have a least 8MP if not more. Look at the Nokia N8 that has a 12MP camera. 5MP is getting a bit out dated.

Cougarcat
Oct 2, 2011, 12:48 AM
[SIZE=1]Has apple ever sold an iPhone model that couldn't take full advantage of the iOS software?

The 3GS can't do FaceTime, obviously. Assistant might be this years' FaceTime.

I really hope they have an 8MP camera because most new phones have a least 8MP if not more. Look at the Nokia N8 that has a 12MP camera. 5MP is getting a bit out dated.

The sensor is what makes the camera, not the megapixel count. If you increase the megapixels without including a better sensor, the picture quality will be worse. I would rather they kept the 5 MP count and just improve the sensor.

Consequence
Oct 2, 2011, 12:49 AM
Apple has the plans to the 5 hidden inside their secret spaceship

Beatbeckham
Oct 2, 2011, 12:49 AM
To be very honest, I'm gonna be TOTALLY dissapointed with Apple if they don't release the iPhone 5. I've waiting to buy a new phone since June. No iPhone 5 = Samsung Galaxy S2 or Nexus Prime for me. Don't care about how many thumbs down you gonna give me.

mikethebigo
Oct 2, 2011, 12:50 AM

You should probably mention the different rumored screen sizes too.

BMcCoy
Oct 2, 2011, 12:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope they don't fall into the trap of thinking increasing camera MP = better camera, as we know from digital photography that that is not true.
It's the quality of the sensor that matters, not the pixel count.

chrmjenkins
Oct 2, 2011, 12:51 AM
Two things.

What source do we have on the 1 GB of RAM for 4S.

Also, what evidence do we have at all that a case redesign is in production? The story says little, but I think it's nothing but indirect evidence.

Side note: what happened to 4,1 4,2 and 4,3 references in itunes?

Forgot to add: why is CDMA iPhone 4 listed under iPhone 4S in beta? That suggests something different.

Cougarcat
Oct 2, 2011, 12:52 AM
Also, what evidence do we have at all that a case redesign is in production? The story says little, but I think it's nothing but indirect evidence.

Nothing, just the case leaks and the Photostream icon that matches the cases.

arn
Oct 2, 2011, 12:52 AM
Two things.

What source do we have on the 1 GB of RAM for 4S.

There's no evidence of production actually. I guess I should be more blunt.

You should probably mention the different rumored screen sizes too.

Right, added that.

arn

Reach9
Oct 2, 2011, 12:53 AM
Nice post! It's great to get a round-up of what to expect before the event!

I posted this elsewhere in the forums but i'll repeat..

I've accepted the following situations:

1) only an iPhone 5
2) only an iPhone 4S
3) iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S

I still believe that the iPhone 5 will be the 1 new iPhone, and the iPhone 4S will be a bumped up iPhone 4 for the pre-paid markets. So yes, i'm pulling for two iPhones.

So if the iPhone 5 design ends up being the iPhone 6's then so be it, i'll be disappointed but coming from an iPhone 3G i'll take it. Probably will sell the iPhone 4S for the next iPhone anyway.
Really looking forward to Assistant and rest of iOS 5.

Question, if all this is true, are we expecting phenomenal battery life due to the Dual Core processor?

BMcCoy
Oct 2, 2011, 12:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Won't it be great if there is a phone unveiled on Tuesday, that is completely surprising, with styling and features that no-one has predicted?!
Something innovative and market-leading, that does something new.
Wow, that would be good........

chrmjenkins
Oct 2, 2011, 12:57 AM
Also, even if we get a iPhone 4 with better internals, I hope Apple calls it the iPhone 5 and we can avoid the number confusion game.

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 12:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe on Tuesday we will see the N94 as the newest iphone and the N90a replacing the 3GS.

I think the teardrop form factor will never happen and I think the existence of a larger screen would have likely given up the existence of a real iPhone 5. Many people have astutely noted between the late Verizon iPhone 4 launch and a possible l
Lte iPhone 5 in 2012 this makes the most sense. The presentation will focus on both the substantially upgraded hardware for the 4s or whatever designation it gets and iOS 5.

An 8 gig iPhone 4 for 49 would be an absolutely killer low end device. This is one of the reasons why I think a newly designed low end device will not happen. It is not necessary.

Apple may have the top 3 selling smartphones of 2011 if the 4s has a big quarter. They could also dominate 2012 with the 4, 4s and 5 and take the top three spots two years in a row.

darbus69
Oct 2, 2011, 01:00 AM

fact: IP4 is best phone on the market.
fact: iOS is best smartphone on the market.
fact: despite the first 2 facts unless apple comes out with a sexier design, which included a slightly larger screen the iPhone will lose market share to android phones, no matter what improvements are made in iOS5. My phone is my computer, even though I own 2 iPads I spend more time on my phone than any other internet device (FYI, I would never buy an android phone, but all apple fanatics need the platform to grow, keeping our technology of choice ahead of the curve.
NO redesigned iPhone is a fail, period.

lantinian
Oct 2, 2011, 01:03 AM

I think Apple is being very practical in bringing out new hardware every year but a new design every 2 years.

It makes sence for sustaining production trough the switch.

It allows enough time to roll out the same phone everywhere.

It builds up the hardware ecosystem around the current design.

It allows for the last years model to be brought down to a lower price faster, since it takes advantage of new model' economy of scale

It allows Apple to clear any imperfections of the iPhone 4 model and clear the memory of Anthenagate and white model delays.

Who knows, maybe Apple now prefers to launch new stuff in the spring, allowingnit enough time to roll out everywhere and only have a hardware refresh in the Fall.

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 01:05 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

fact: IP4 is best phone on the market.
fact: iOS is best smartphone on the market.
fact: despite the first 2 facts unless apple comes out with a sexier design, which included a slightly larger screen the iPhone will lose market share to android phones, no matter what improvements are made in iOS5. My phone is my computer, even though I own 2 iPads I spend more time on my phone than any other internet device (FYI, I would never buy an android phone, but all apple fanatics need the platform to grow, keeping our technology of choice ahead of the curve.
NO redesigned iPhone is a fail, period.

Why not a 6.5" screen then?

roland.g
Oct 2, 2011, 01:07 AM
To be very honest, I'm gonna be TOTALLY dissapointed with Apple if they don't release the iPhone 5. I've waiting to buy a new phone since June. No iPhone 5 = Samsung Galaxy S2 or Nexus Prime for me. Don't care about how many thumbs down you gonna give me.

That reminds me of all those people who get mad that the latest MP, MBP or iMac doesn't have x GPU or y CPU or whatever. People get hung up on specs in that game when it isn't the end all be all, but that comes from being part of the PC race for so long.

If you are making your buying decision on specs vs. system, then you probably shouldn't be buying an iPhone at all, even ever. Not a fan boy who thinks Apple can do wrong, by no means, but you are either an iPhone user or someone willing to use any POS on the market. Enjoy the Samsung, and prepare to be disappointed even if you're not, as I suspect you may even get lucky and get some of what you ask for but not everything and then the moaning begins.

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 01:18 AM

I'm thinking the same thing, too. There's a reason I didn't get the 4: I didn't really like the flat back in the design.

But Arn, our bet is still on. I'm still thinking that Apple this year tightened down all their security (including sending people to raid other people's houses), and has made sure that no leaks ever pass by.

I'm still sticking to my theory, that if there was no iPhone 5, then Apple would have used legit news sources like The Loop and AllthingsD to tame down these wild expectations about the legendary iPhone 5. I still see all of this as deliberate spread of information/rumors on Apple's part to keep the iPhone 5 this year's biggest, and best surprise.

arn
Oct 2, 2011, 01:22 AM
But Arn, our bet is still on. I'm still thinking that Apple this year tightened down all their security (including sending people to raid other people's houses), and has made sure that no leaks ever pass by.

Alright, it's on! :)

arn

Mattsasa
Oct 2, 2011, 01:32 AM

I believe on Tuesday we will see the N94 as the newest iphone and the N90a replacing the 3GS.

I think the teardrop form factor will never happen and I think the existence of a larger screen would have likely given up the existence of a real iPhone 5. Many people have astutely noted between the late Verizon iPhone 4 launch and a possible l
Lte iPhone 5 in 2012 this makes the most sense. The presentation will focus on both the substantially upgraded hardware for the 4s or whatever designation it gets and iOS 5.

An 8 gig iPhone 4 for 49 would be an absolutely killer low end device. This is one of the reasons why I think a newly designed low end device will not happen. It is not necessary.

Apple may have the top 3 selling smartphones of 2011 if the 4s has a big quarter. They could also dominate 2012 with the 4, 4s and 5 and take the top three spots two years in a row.

Your logic is sound however I disagree.

on tuesday apple will reveal the iPhone 5

----------

arn

I am betting with AIP5

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 01:32 AM

arn

Okay, so just curious about this, as I'm new to this rumor industry. But were there specific leaks about the production for iPhone 4, or iPad 2? Not part leaks, mind you, but tell-tale signs that there is production of those new devices going on?

Abyssgh0st
Oct 2, 2011, 01:34 AM
This has been quite a confusing past few months. I'm known by my family and friends as the 'Apple guy,' and I cannot wait until Tuesday comes so I can stop telling them that I truly have no idea what will be coming out soon!

Here's a different thought I just dawned upon:

Obviously after last years incidents, Apple must have taken a lot of preventative measures in order to not have a repeat of last year.

With that in mind, the Cava 22 incident was obviously taken very seriously by Apple, with getting the PD involved as well as sending their high profile security officers. Would Apple do this for any lost iPhone prototype? Most likely. Would Apple be more likely to do this for a radically different iPhone 5 (different design, bigger screen, etc.) versus an iPhone 4S (same case, faster processor, more RAM, better camera, basically things that are indiscernible without dissembling the phone)? Most definitely.

Just something to think about.

arn
Oct 2, 2011, 01:38 AM
Okay, so just curious about this, as I'm new to this rumor industry. But were there specific leaks about the production for iPhone 4, or iPad 2? Not part leaks, mind you, but tell-tale signs that there is production of those new devices going on?

Part leaks are some of the signs that things have shifted into production.

iPhone 4 was a special case since Gizmodo leaked the entire device. Parts were uninteresting and probably went unreported, since we'd seen the whole device.

arn

na1577
Oct 2, 2011, 01:40 AM
I mentioned this in another thread but didn't get any possible explanations. Why is Apple calling the next phone the iPhone 4S? Why don't they call it the iPhone 5?

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 01:43 AM
With that in mind, the Cava 22 incident was obviously taken very seriously by Apple, with getting the PD involved as well as sending their high profile security officers. Would Apple do this for any lost iPhone prototype? Probably. Would Apple be more likely to do this for a radically different iPhone 5 (different design, bigger screen, etc.) versus an iPhone 4S (same case, faster processor, more RAM, better camera, basically things that are indiscernible without dissembling the phone)? Most definitely.

Just something to think about.

Exactly. I had the same suspicion. Apple really went over the top by raiding the guy's house... and all for what? An iPhone 4S that looks like the CDMA iPhone 4? Probably not.

However, playing the devil's advocate here: if it was indeed a redesigned iPhone, why have no pictures shown up? That's making me wonder that it was just an iPhone 4 like device that could have fooled anyone who picks it up into thinking it's just another iPhone 4.

You think Apple could have tracked the iPhone 5 to wherever it was shipped to from craigslist, and retrieved it? I wouldn't say that thought is too far out.

JAFO
Oct 2, 2011, 01:43 AM
I love all the comments from iPhone 4 users saying they've been waiting so long for the next iPhone. I bought the 3GS the week it came out and I've been waiting a lot longer than you folks for the iPhone 4 successor.

For me the iPhone 4S or 5 will be a massive upgrade. I'd prefer it be the 5 but if it's just a 4S it will still be an insane upgrade over what I've got.

That being said, Apple will only be playing catch up with other products, coming out with something just as good as what's out there, and not surpass the specs of other phones. I think that would be a mistake. They want to be the leaders, not the ones playing catch up. It'll still be a successful phone either way. Only a tiny percentage of people (lots of them readers here) that will give up on Apple if they don't release a new design.

arn
Oct 2, 2011, 01:45 AM
I mentioned this in another thread but didn't get any possible explanations. Why is Apple calling the next phone the iPhone 4S? Why don't they call it the iPhone 5?

Because it looks like an iPhone 4? It's the iPhone 4 design but faster. Like the 3G and 3GS.

arn

Bistroengine
Oct 2, 2011, 01:45 AM
Has anyone considered that the leaked prototype design for the 'iPhone 5' might actually be the new larger redesigned iPod Touch instead? If this is the case I would find it disappointing that the iPod Touch got a larger screen before the next iPhone. My gut feeling says that's exactly what will happen.

chrmjenkins
Oct 2, 2011, 01:47 AM

iPhone 4 was a special case since Gizmodo leaked the entire device. Parts were uninteresting and probably went unreported, since we'd seen the whole device.

arn

We also saw it leaked in Vietnam with the screen test image displayed before launch.

Has anyone considered that the leaked prototype design for the 'iPhone 5' might actually be the new larger redesigned iPod Touch instead? If this is the case I would find it disappointing that the iPod Touch got a larger screen before the next iPhone. My gut feeling says that's exactly what will happen.

Why in the world would they do that?

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 01:49 AM

arn

I dunno Arn, but if it's part leaks that we're basing the production theory on, then not very convincing. ;)

Okay, what about this: I remember there was a post on MR about a leaked "iPhone 5" camera (without LED light). If I recall correctly, the camera had a circle around it that was made out of an Aluminum-like metal material. Or at least so it appeared. Many comments were made on it, but I'm not sure if we concluded anything about it.

Edit: here's that article: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/22/iphone-5s-battery-back-camera-and-audio-flex-cable-parts-leaked/

DeathChill
Oct 2, 2011, 01:53 AM
Did any iPad 2 parts leak beforehand? I know that the case design was known well before the release but I can't recall much else.

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 01:57 AM
By the way, Arn, you mind if I make a poll in the Forums to see which way the MR community is siding on? :)

Tuesday just won't come fast enough!

admanimal
Oct 2, 2011, 01:58 AM
Also, even if we get a iPhone 4 with better internals, I hope Apple calls it the iPhone 5 and we can avoid the number confusion game.

But if they call it the iPhone 5 even though it's really the 4S, how will I know whether or not to be enraged about the fact that they didn't release the real iPhone 5 like they said they would by not saying anything about it at all? I don't want to be left behind in the post-event Macrumors chaos!

na1577
Oct 2, 2011, 01:58 AM
Did any iPad 2 parts leak beforehand? I know that the case design was known well before the release but I can't recall much else.

No. The only actual leaks were related to iOS (FaceTime, 2 cameras, Photobooth).

DeathChill
Oct 2, 2011, 02:00 AM
No. The only actual leaks were related to iOS (FaceTime, 2 cameras, Photobooth).

Indeed, I just went through the news archives and the only evidence of a redesign was the cases and physical mockups done by case manufacturers. However, there was never this much confusion as there is now, but I can only hope Apple is trying to mess with us, though I truly doubt it.

arn
Oct 2, 2011, 02:01 AM

ya, some

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/16/ipad-2-lcd-for-sale-already-ipad-2-to-include-vibrating-motor/
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/01/ipad-2-screen-parts-circulating/
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/28/apple-to-launch-a-white-ipad-2/

arn

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 02:01 AM

arn

I dunno Arn, but if it's part leaks that we're basing the production theory on, then not very convincing. ;)

Okay, what about this: I remember there was a post on MR about a leaked "iPhone 5" camera (without LED light). If I recall correctly, the camera had a circle around it that was made out of an Aluminum-like metal material. Or at least so it appeared. Many comments were made on it, but I'm not sure if we concluded anything about it.

Edit: here's that article: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/22/iphone-5s-battery-back-camera-and-audio-flex-cable-parts-leaked/

I think there is no chance a larger display would have been developed and prepared for production without several strong rumors about it's existence.

Of all the pieces that would be the most difficult to hide that would be the one and I don't recall any even semi reliable rumors a out larger displays being tested, prepared, ordered or manufactured. Given the number of devices they would be ramping up to make they could not hide the development of 15 million 4" screens where none were needed before.

Rend It
Oct 2, 2011, 02:07 AM

Arn,

We don't yet have evidence for this (waiting for N90AAP to show up in iTunes beta), but has anyone considered that the slightly redesigned iPhone 4 may also become a world phone (CDMA + HSPA)? To me, if they're reducing the amount of storage to 8GB, and the Verizon phone already has a multiple-mode baseband chip, there's nothing really stopping them from making the low-end iP4 world mode. Well, nothing except demands of the carriers. It would seem a silly thing to continue separate phones for CDMA and HSPA.

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 02:14 AM
I think there is no chance a larger display would have been developed and prepared for production without several strong rumors about it's existence.

Of all the pieces that would be the most difficult to hide that would be the one and I don't recall any even semi reliable rumors a out larger displays being tested, prepared, ordered or manufactured. Given the number of devices they would be ramping up to make they could not hide the development of 15 million 4" screens where none were needed before.

This is true. I would have also expected some different screen size leaks. But, given how badly the iPhone 4 security was managed (apart from the chance Gizmodo finding, there was the iPhone 4 prototype in Vietnam, and random iPhone 4 prototypes on sale on Ebay), you'd think that Apple learned from its mistakes and patched all those security holes.

I dunno. I know I'm trying to rationalize my way out of this, but in the end of the day, I find myself coming back to my theory about why Apple didn't use "rumors" to quell down these iPhone 5 expectations. And for that, no one seems to be able to find an answer.

nagromme
Oct 2, 2011, 02:21 AM

Is it the rumored mock-up shape you want? Or new hardware features? Or the name?

One of the three you can have, and it’s the one that matters :)

DeathChill
Oct 2, 2011, 02:21 AM
This is true. I would have also expected some different screen size leaks. But, given how badly the iPhone 4 security was managed (apart from the chance Gizmodo finding, there was the iPhone 4 prototype in Vietnam, and random iPhone 4 prototypes on sale on Ebay), you'd think that Apple learned from its mistakes and patched all those security holes.

I dunno. I know I'm trying to rationalize my way out of this, but in the end of the day, I find myself coming back to my theory about why Apple didn't use "rumors" to quell down these iPhone 5 expectations. And for that, no one seems to be able to find an answer.

This is an interesting theory that I am somewhat behind. I don't understand why Apple isn't doing this if an iPhone 5 isn't going to be announced because there will likely be a massive backlash online that may overshadow the announcement.

Feltzem
Oct 2, 2011, 02:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

But the iPhone 4 is still the best looking smartphone, by a long shot. I actually hope they keep the same design rather than go for a more iPod touch-like tapered one.

admanimal
Oct 2, 2011, 02:30 AM
This is an interesting theory that I am somewhat behind. I don't understand why Apple isn't doing this if an iPhone 5 isn't going to be announced because there will likely be a massive backlash online that may overshadow the announcement.

Apple never comments on rumors, because it would be a dangerous precedent for them to set. What happens if this one time they say no, the iPhone 5 is not real? Then every time they don't deny a rumor, it somehow gains credibility.

Minisider
Oct 2, 2011, 02:34 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm thinking the same thing, too. There's a reason I didn't get the 4: I didn't really like the flat back in the design.

I'm still sticking to my theory, that if there was no iPhone 5, then Apple would have used legit news sources like The Loop and AllthingsD to tame down these wild expectations about the legendary iPhone 5. I still see all of this as deliberate spread of information/rumors on Apple's part to keep the iPhone 5 this year's biggest, and best surprise.

To join in but not get flamed, I was in line for the very first iPhone and have loved them all since but for personal reasons (as in I understand it's a nothing feature for others) I want a bigger screen. Don't think android comes close to the iPhone so was still a no brainer

DeathChill
Oct 2, 2011, 02:34 AM
Apple never comments on rumors, because it would be a dangerous precedent for them to set. What happens if this one time they say no, the iPhone 5 is not real? Then every time they don't deny a rumor, it somehow gains credibility.

No, but Apple dispels rumours through blogs such as Daring Fireball, AllThingsD and The Loop. Unofficially, of course, but they give information they wish to share to these blogs who report these scoops. They did it to lower expectations for WWDC (no new iPhone hardware).

EDIT: So basically, I figure that Apple would get one of these blogs to report that there is no chance of an iPhone 5 so that expectations are lowered BEFORE the event. This would temper expectations so that it isn't considered a letdown and the iPhone 4S is focused on because all of the bitching has already been done, rather then the iPhone 5 that never was. However, this is nowhere close to any sort of evidence, it's just interesting.

CrazyRussian540
Oct 2, 2011, 02:37 AM
So as of 30 minutes ago, I do not care if its a 4S or a 5 that comes out on Tuesday (I was set on 100% if the 5 comes out, and probably not if its a 4S), I'm getting it regardless (5 if both come out). After over 3 years of faithful service, my 3G is permanently out of commission. Me being the idiot that I am, slammed it down on a table out of anger, and shattered the screen. It has survived countless falls, but it could not survive drunken rage.

Luckily for me though the touchscreen still works, and after all this time (iPhone owner since Feb 2008), I have managed to memorize where the "answer call" slider is, so at least I have that much.

And if Tuesday proves to be a total disappointment, worst case scenario, I can get a new screen for $30ish, and do a transplant.

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 02:38 AM

Well, I think what we mean is that Apple itself doesn't officially say anything (like a press release from Apple). Instead, Apple says something to legit news sites such as The Loop or AllthingsD... sites that have a proven track record for having their rumors come true because Apple basically tells them that particular rumor.
It's kind of like how rumors of a September 7th event were shot down within a day, and how almost all the rumors pointed to no new iPhone in WWDC 2011. Also, the Oct 4th event date was first reported by AllthingsD before Apple sent out the invitations, indicating yet again that AllthingsD gets its "rumors" or "reports" directly from Apple.

So, what we mean is that Apple would have used a similar tactic in managing high iPhone 5 expectations going into their announcement. The last thing they want is a PR nightmare where everyone walks away disappointed at only a 4S. They would have "leaked" info that shows that no iPhone 5 is being unveiled, so no one walks in with the expectation of the iPhone 5.

Edit: DeathChill (what a name!) beat me to the response; sorry if this is a redundant post.

Minisider
Oct 2, 2011, 02:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

To join in but not get flamed, I was in line for the very first iPhone and have loved them all since but for personal reasons (as in I understand it's a nothing feature for others) I want a bigger screen. Don't think android comes close to the iPhone so was still a no brainer

Ok sorry for that half a message, the iPhone layout for the forum led to accidental post without finishing. Basically I am considering keeping my 3GS going till nokia bring out a windows phone, it will be a contender as nokia have a good history of producing a very well put together phone.

strausd
Oct 2, 2011, 02:39 AM
Its a place holder in their logistics and inventory system. Friend of mine works for a large international carrier in managerial level and has no idea what's coming. They only know it's the new iPhone but that's the far as it goes. These are the same guys who are responsible for day to day operations so that explains why you have something like iPhone 5 in the inventory lists as a placeholder. You have to be a top executive have real knowledge of future iPhones and those guys have nothing to do with these lists.

If you have to be a top executive, how come the CEO of China's largest carrier used the term iPhone 5?

deftdrummer
Oct 2, 2011, 02:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can't handle this anymore.

itsmemuffins
Oct 2, 2011, 02:49 AM
8gb iPhone 4 to have the same TFT LCD as in the current iPod Touch?

wackymacky
Oct 2, 2011, 02:54 AM

Hope springs eternal :)

To me is seems a little odd to create a sh**ty iP4 with 8GB storage, half of the lower current end model.Why not just drop the 32GB from the iphone4? It's a bit insulting really, and then to use the difference between the sh**ty N90A to built up the N94.

They were paying $27.00 for the 16GB Samsung NAND 16GB memory 1 1/2 years ago. Surely the price has come down for this.

deftdrummer
Oct 2, 2011, 03:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Best case scenario is one of you are right and the rest of you are wrong now that's a scary thought...

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 03:11 AM
If you have to be a top executive, how come the CEO of China's largest carrier used the term iPhone 5?

That is very true, indeed.

Okay, Arn, what about the rumors that Apple manufacturers are having a hard time working on the iPhone 5, and that they're producing many faulty units (here (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/21/will-the-iphone-4s-be-the-only-iphone-launched-at-apples-fall-event/) and here (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/08/foxconn-is-already-producing-150000-iphone-5sday-2nd-supplier-pegatron-wont-begin-until-2012/))?

And Wintek's "delayed bubble" in the screen (here (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/23/delayed-bubble-defect-on-wintek-panels-could-affect-initial-iphone-5-shipments/))? Why would you have a screen problem now, if you're using the same screen?

These rumors show some proof of iPhone 5 production.

Cinch
Oct 2, 2011, 03:11 AM
A year ago, I said that a 3.5" screen was the perfect size for smartphones. I think a lot of apps out there can definitely use a 4.0" screen and reading many mobile websites would be so muh better on one. I was wrong, and Retina Display doesn't help much. We need 4.0" screen.

iFrodo
Oct 2, 2011, 03:13 AM
iPhone 5 (N??)

It seems that you need a little help here, the correct spelling is:

iPhone 5 (N93)

Source: XCode 4.2 beta 1 from Apple :) N93/AVCaptureSession.plist in iPhone Simulator 5.0 MediaToolbox framework folder, of course N94 is also present on this beta.

DeathChill
Oct 2, 2011, 03:22 AM
It seems that you need a little help here, the correct spelling is:

iPhone 5 (N93)

Source: XCode 4.2 beta 1 from Apple :) N93/AVCaptureSession.plist in iPhone Simulator 5.0 MediaToolbox framework folder, of course N94 is also present on this beta.

I guess this could make sense if the iPhone 5 was being developed before the 4S.

0x000000
Oct 2, 2011, 03:25 AM

To me is seems a little odd to create a sh**ty iP4 with 8GB storage, half of the lower current end model.Why not just drop the 32GB from the iphone4? It's a bit insulting really, and then to use the difference between the sh**ty N90A to built up the N94.

They were paying $27.00 for the 16GB Samsung NAND 16GB memory 1 1/2 years ago. Surely the price has come down for this.

I think the 8GB iPhone 4 is for people like me, who need a new phone to replace a 3GS, but expected a redesigned iPhone 5. This way we can replace our 3GS without spending too much money on a iPhone-design we don't want.

Thex1138
Oct 2, 2011, 03:27 AM

The 1 in the green icon could refer to 1 phone for the world.. The World phone.

admanimal
Oct 2, 2011, 03:50 AM
So, what we mean is that Apple would have used a similar tactic in managing high iPhone 5 expectations going into their announcement. The last thing they want is a PR nightmare where everyone walks away disappointed at only a 4S. They would have "leaked" info that shows that no iPhone 5 is being unveiled, so no one walks in with the expectation of the iPhone 5.

OK. You realize that both Gruber and John Paczkowski (ATD) have said they don't think it's likely that a new form factor iPhone is coming, right?

iFrodo
Oct 2, 2011, 04:07 AM
I guess this could make sense if the iPhone 5 was being developed before the 4S.

Which is probably the case, a totally new design with new screen size (supposed bigger iPhone 5) requires a lot more engineering work than just upgrading an existing design and form factor (iPhone 4S), so the project as certainly started before for an hypothetic bigger, new design, iPhone 5 than for the iPhone 4S which keep the same design and form factor as the iPhone 4.

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 04:12 AM
OK. You realize that both Gruber and John Paczkowski (ATD) have said they don't think it's likely that a new form factor iPhone is coming, right?

Yes, Gruber has voiced his opinion (opinion being the keyword here), and his thinking that a teardrop design would be uncomfortable to hold on to. Paczkowski... he didn't say anything about there being no iPhone 5. His last iPhone related post was Sept 27th, about the media invites, and he states that nothing is confirmed except that the next iPhone will most likely have A5 and global chip.

Either way, what I mean is that there hasn't been an aggressive response from The Loop or AllthingsD about no iPhone 5. Remember when that annoying (and unfortunately right) Kara Swisher lady kept reiterating that we won't see the next iPhone until October? Well, that's what I mean by Apple aggressively knocking down false rumors and managing expectations.

If AllthingsD or The Loop post an article/statement about "Our sources [which is Apple] say new iPhone will be 4S," then it is 99% official that all we are getting is 4S.

iFrodo
Oct 2, 2011, 04:22 AM

Gruber never said that, he said only "I don't know", that's what is post mean. He said that he doesn't believe in a tear drop design "don't count on it", mainly because he doesn't like the idea. But at the same time he said "ask again later" to wether there would be two new iPhone instead of just one.

ipos
Oct 2, 2011, 04:47 AM
http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/iphone_info.jpg

Millionaire2K
Oct 2, 2011, 04:49 AM
Anyone think apple is just putting the internals of the new 5 inside the 4 just to hide it?

Is this possible? They are a huge rich company.

After SJ got all worked up over us seeing the 4 in advance "Stop me if you've seen this" maybe they decided to not use the 5 internals in the 5 body till after itís announced.

When testing the phone (5) at apple they can use the 5 body. Any when the phone goes out of apple for testing they use the 4 body.
They can just start designing the internals to be very much alike. Turn the iPhone into a true PC. The internals are for the most part alike. The outside gets new dressings. This could also drive down cost in the future.

Just wondering. Any thoughts?

admanimal
Oct 2, 2011, 05:10 AM
The reality of these situations is that whatever product(s) appear to be most likely right before the event pretty much always end up being the actual released products. People concoct all of these elaborate schemes that Apple could be using to hide some big surprise, but they never end up being correct.

Xenc
Oct 2, 2011, 05:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Only one phone in the world can generate this much hype.

hexx
Oct 2, 2011, 05:16 AM
no larger screen please. i don't understand this 'desire' for larger screen, what for? it's a phone, should fit in the pocket. sometimes i really miss old phones for their size, weight and battery life. if you want bigger screen get iPad or any other tablet on the market but for phones i really don't get it.

do you gents want to wear a handbags for your phones????

peterjames.org
Oct 2, 2011, 05:18 AM
Has there ever been a breakdown or trend of the low-end iPhone sales from official release/downgrade to EOL?

iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 3GS 8GB

And if so, any projections for iPhone 4 8GB?

Has there been any talk of bumping capacities to 32 and 64GB for the high-end? (4S or 5) And make the low-end 16GB? Or for the iPod touch to 32, 64, 128...now that the iPod classic's demise is likely? Even with iCloud, the movies are still stores locally...

Zunjine
Oct 2, 2011, 05:20 AM
For me the redesign issue is not important. I'm in the camp that believes the current design is the best piece of industrial design I've ever owned. It's utterly beautiful and I will certainly not complain if it doesn't change.

I'm just a bit confused at why they would use the name 4S. With the 3GS it was clearly to avoid confusion between the iPhone 3G (meaning third generation network) and the Third Generation iPhone which some might have called the iPhone 3G in reference to it being the third iteration. So 3GS made sense. But no one is going to confuse the fourth Gen for the fifth Gen iPhone. Call one four and one five and have done with it! Very simple and no chance of a mix up.

4S leaves a big question mark over the name of the next unit. It would presumably be called iPhone 5 but then it will be the sixth generation machine. Does that make any sense to anyone here? Why would you set it up so your sixth generation machine was called 5?!

Can anyone think of a logical explanation for this?

Millionaire2K
Oct 2, 2011, 05:29 AM
For me the redesign issue is not important. I'm in the camp that believes the current design is the best piece of industrial design I've ever owned. It's utterly beautiful and I will certainly not complain if it doesn't change.

I'm just a bit confused at why they would use the name 4S. With the 3GS it was clearly to avoid confusion between the iPhone 3G (meaning third generation network) and the Third Generation iPhone which some might have called the iPhone 3G in reference to it being the third iteration. So 3GS made sense. But no one is going to confuse the fourth Gen for the fifth Gen iPhone. Call one four and one five and have done with it! Very simple and no chance of a mix up.

4S leaves a big question mark over the name of the next unit. It would presumably be called iPhone 5 but then it will be the sixth generation machine. Does that make any sense to anyone here? Why would you set it up so your sixth generation machine was called 5?!

I say why call it "4" "5" or "6" at all. We don't call the latest mac the mac book air 5. Or the ipods, we don't say "I want that new ipod Touch 3".

Apple should just drop the number and just call it "iPhone"

So people would see the new phone and say "I must have that new iPhone, it looks amazing"

Instead of saying "I want that new iPhone 4s 5G 3m R2 PO thing, it looks amazing. What number is that one you have? Oh it 4s? How much is the 4r? or the 5s?"

Rozac155
Oct 2, 2011, 05:36 AM
I still bet on that there WILL be iPhone 5 presented on Tuesday because Apple can leak whatever they want... So 4S and N90A can just be a very big distraction for the big surprise..
On the other side the picture for the presentation itself is a big clue.. (day, place, time) and im afraid that the Phone icon shows 1 as a clue that there is 1 iPhone presented.... Im just saying that maybe... But still i really think that there will be all 3 iPhones presented. maybe iPhone 5 will be only talked about as feature-wise.

hexx
Oct 2, 2011, 05:40 AM
i believe that we will see 4S, just updated cpu, ram and support for all networks. i don't think that apple 'needs' to release a new phone.

admanimal
Oct 2, 2011, 05:42 AM
I still bet on that there WILL be iPhone 5 presented on Tuesday because Apple can leak whatever they want... So 4S and N90A can just be a very big distraction for the big surprise..

This theory pops up before every single major product release. That is, "All of this real evidence for Product A having features B and C is just to hide the fact that Apple is going to surprise us with Product X having features Y and Z."

There is never a surprise.

oldmacs
Oct 2, 2011, 06:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If it is just an iPhone 4s with no case redesign, why have they waited this long to release it? It took them a year between the 3GS and the IP4, which was a redesign, why should it take 18 months or so to spec bump one?

bushido
Oct 2, 2011, 06:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

meh how "innovating" .... 8MP is so 2 years ago. after 1,5 years all they do is basically catching up, nothing new te competition already does. no wonder apple tries to sue them off the market

guess we'll just have to wait til tuesday but otherwise i'll have to look somewhere else and stick to my iPad 2 for my iOS needs

o0jelly0o
Oct 2, 2011, 06:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a feeling you guys are going to be so surprised on Tuesday. Just my opinion.

hokka
Oct 2, 2011, 06:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If it is just an iPhone 4s with no case redesign, why have they waited this long to release it? It took them a year between the 3GS and the IP4, which was a redesign, why should it take 18 months or so to spec bump one?

Easy, common sense

1]. To give Verizon (and white iPhone 4) customers some breathing space;
2]. Shorten the next release (June/July announcement again in 2012) as per iPad -> iPad 2 to up the competition once LTE is deployed in more countries / better battery tech / to shrink it further / new form factor... etc.

o0jelly0o
Oct 2, 2011, 06:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

no larger screen please. i don't understand this 'desire' for larger screen, what for? it's a phone, should fit in the pocket. sometimes i really miss old phones for their size, weight and battery life. if you want bigger screen get iPad or any other tablet on the market but for phones i really don't get it.

do you gents want to wear a handbags for your phones????

It's sad when people don't understand that the bezel can be taken up by more screen size and thus, you have a larger screen with the exact same sized phone.

hokka
Oct 2, 2011, 06:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

meh how "innovating" .... 8MP is so 2 years ago. after 1,5 years all they do is basically catching up, nothing new te competition already does. no wonder apple tries to sue them off the market

guess we'll just have to wait til tuesday but otherwise i'll have to look somewhere else and stick to my iPad 2 for my iOS needs

1]. You are wrong
2]. Apple is defending their designs since Samsung etc. are trying to flood the market with junk - with every screen size known to man (including all the unknown ones), not the other way around
3]. It's a pet hate but you Germans need to use '1.5' instead of '1,5' to represent decimal places, it's more international & real maths :p

o0jelly0o
Oct 2, 2011, 06:41 AM

I say why call it "4" "5" or "6" at all. We don't call the latest mac the mac book air 5. Or the ipods, we don't say "I want that new ipod Touch 3".

So people would see the new phone and say "I must have that new iPhone, it looks amazing"

Instead of saying "I want that new iPhone 4s 5G 3m R2 PO thing, it looks amazing. What number is that one you have? Oh it 4s? How much is the 4r? or the 5s?"

No, the biggest selling products need numbers attached to them so consumers can better differentiate, and are more likely to go out and buy the new one. It's simply marketing. Which is a large reason why I think there will be a '5' no matter what form factor it comes in. Simply due to marketing, people want a '5' not a 4S, it's really as simple as that.

tmarks11
Oct 2, 2011, 06:43 AM
Exactly. I had the same suspicion. Apple really went over the top by raiding the guy's house... if it was indeed a redesigned iPhone, why have no pictures shown up?
Because the apple security guards pulled out a huge wad of cash and a NDA as soon as they were safely inside the guy's house, out of sight of the SFPD officers.

The guy was told take the cash and give us the phone, no questions asked, or we will sue the pants off you and tie you up in court for the next year.

The guy gave them the phone, and signed the NDA. Which is why he said things like"Apple? I had no idea...", yet is not sueing them for invading his home.

All speculation, of course.

Apparently the gizmodo squad was off duty that day, so missed out on buying a new phone....

Pegamush
Oct 2, 2011, 06:44 AM
from the point of view of apple, the iphone 4 is still a best selling (though people are waiting to see the next phones coming out, but still), so why take so much efforts to redesign a new form factor? they will sell anyway tons (millions) of them the same way they sold the 3gs..
also i wonder how many people who now are calling the iphone 4s a fail, will truly buy another phone instead..

hokka
Oct 2, 2011, 06:45 AM

It's sad when people don't understand that the bezel can be taken up by more screen size and thus, you have a larger screen with the exact same sized phone.

Larger screen = more battery drain, thus the whole form factor need to be bigger to counter balance with larger batteries, it's not just about the bezel. Unless Apple want to make the new iPhone thicker there's no other way to have a bigger screen, same size as 4 and still last as long... and thinner as per Apple's typical marketing tag line.

I wish there's more common sense in this place.

o0jelly0o
Oct 2, 2011, 06:48 AM

Easy, common sense

1]. To give Verizon (and white iPhone 4) customers some breathing space;
2]. Shorten the next release (June/July announcement again in 2012) as per iPad -> iPad 2 to up the competition once LTE is deployed in more countries / better battery tech / to shrink it further / new form factor... etc.

Nah they won't change the release schedule again, I think it will basically be, WWDC will announce new iOS with betas leading up to fall release from now on.

hokka
Oct 2, 2011, 06:51 AM

Nah they won't change the release schedule again, I think it will basically be, WWDC will announce new iOS with betas leading up to fall release from now on.

Nice distraction for the sake of argument? That's not the important point, but you agree that white iPhone and Verizon is the reason for delay, right??

As to when the next-next iphone will be released? Your guess is as good as mine. ;)

o0jelly0o
Oct 2, 2011, 06:53 AM

Larger screen = more battery drain, thus the whole form factor need to be bigger to counter balance with larger batteries, it's not just about the bezel. Unless Apple want to make the new iPhone thicker there's no other way to have a bigger screen, same size as 4 and still last as long... and thinner as per Apple's typical marketing tag line.

I wish there's more common sense in this place.

Batteries aren't getting bigger, they are getting smaller, and holding a longer charge, this is what's known as advances in technology. Ergo, same size, bigger screen, better battery.

adildacoolset
Oct 2, 2011, 06:55 AM
Maybe it'll be one new phone, which will be the iPhone 5. They might modify the 4 a bit, and reduce the price. Because I doubt that a slight modification to an existing phone is a brand new phone

hokka
Oct 2, 2011, 06:56 AM

Batteries aren't getting bigger, they are getting smaller, and holding a longer charge, this is what's known as advances in technology. Ergo, same size, bigger screen, better battery.

mmm, nope, per square inch, the tech have been the same for years, there's a physical limit as to how much 'battery' to cramp into a physical size, I wish I have more time to explain but it's approach my bed time so I'll leave the study to you or someone else can tell you where to look. Don't just make up BS. :D

o0jelly0o
Oct 2, 2011, 06:58 AM

Nice distraction for the sake of argument? That's not the important point, but you agree that white iPhone and Verizon is the reason for delay, right??

As to when the next-next iphone will be released? Your guess is as good as mine. ;)

Nah I have no comment on anything else you said haha, I just think it makes sense to keep this schedule they adopted this year, I mean leads up to a new iPhone just before holiday shopping season. Probably where more of the competition releases their new phones? I think if you're trying to kill the competition, or just keep up, it's important to have the newest tech along side theirs during the shopping season. Then again I might have no idea what I'm talking about haha.

Pez555
Oct 2, 2011, 06:58 AM
Apple know that if no redesign is shown on Tuesday, that there will be a lot of unhappy fans. Apple arent dumb.

iPhone 5 is happening.

Frankied22
Oct 2, 2011, 07:06 AM

Redesigned iPhone 5 on Tuesday is my gut feeling.

What ever happened with that news post awhile back that contained a picture of a guy at a restaurant using an iPhone that looked redesigned? It showed him sitting at a table using the phone and the back looked aluminum and thinner....

vvebsta
Oct 2, 2011, 07:06 AM

I can't believe it's already going to be the 5th generation. It seems such a short time ago the first one was release. 5 gens blows my mind!

bushido
Oct 2, 2011, 07:11 AM
from the point of view of apple, the iphone 4 is still a best selling (though people are waiting to see the next phones coming out, but still), so why take so much efforts to redesign a new form factor?.

this is why so many companies r failing at some point bc they think they can stay forever on top of their high horse and stop putting effort in anything bc well "its selling anyway so why bother"

CrystalPepsi
Oct 2, 2011, 07:18 AM
People have forgotten that AT&T is taking delivery of iphone 5 (new design) cases. Do you think they are having these delivered "just in case"? ********. Someone knows something.

Also, as a long time iPhone user and current developer/tester of Android devices, Apple needs a 4" screen. I have been playing with Samsungs with beautiful 4"+ screens. If you haven't see the beautiful screens out there, you're missing out. Apple would be stupid to ignore these devices.

tirk
Oct 2, 2011, 07:23 AM
People have forgotten that AT&T is taking delivery of iphone 5 (new design) cases. Do you think they are having these delivered "just in case"? ********.

Quite. I think there may be all 3 released, the "cut down 4" for China and similar markets, the "4S" to replace the 3GS as the entry phone for most of us, and the "5" as the big surprise, crowd-pleaser.

Someone knows something.
Not me, I'm just guessing and hoping!

dhrlove
Oct 2, 2011, 08:09 AM

I'd rather have a higher dynamic range photo sensor than a higher MP. I'd also prefer a longer battery life than bigger screen smaller phone.

PstLMac
Oct 2, 2011, 08:17 AM

Better front facing camera I hope.

1eyedwilli3
Oct 2, 2011, 08:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

When the 3G when to 3GS I refused to buy my same phone in a tweaked package. I never used any of the features the 3GS had to offer. It was completely irrelevant to me and many people I knew.
Pretty much how the iPhone 4S will be too.
You won't see to many people rushing to turn their iP4 in to get a iP4S.
You might see 3GS owners rushing to do so.
And I am an Apple employee and I can already tell you a lot of people are POed of the very idea of just an IPhone 4 launch.
When there are worse android phones on the market with better features and bigger screens and cameras I think Amdroids market share will increase when no real iphone 5 launched.
And I honestly have never personally seen an Android owner say they hate their phone. A solid made Android phone is the worst thing for Apple. Soon many HTC and Samsung android phones will offer a base of 32GB of memory. With up to 128GB of storage and they will sell at the same price point as the iPhone.
When a crap economy offers you more bang for your buck apple will finally see the error of the 4S way.

UK-MacAddict
Oct 2, 2011, 08:27 AM

What if the iPhone 4S does have a 4 inch screen and Apple have just expanded the size of the iPhone design. Same design just bigger :)

Rozac155
Oct 2, 2011, 08:31 AM
I dont think that :apple:Steve would leave Apple in such time, if there is no big surprise going on. Steve hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple. (I know that he has medical problems, but thats not the point here) And I think that he carefully choose this time because the new CEO will get a chance to introduce a whole new phone (that would be the mysterious iPhone 5), new China market model (8GB) and 4S as the cheaper one. This is great to show him in a best possible way...
Think back... Apple is playing games with us... We start a rumor only if Apple wants. The phone picture on the Apple site? The bar again? Foxconn pictures of 2 models? Assembly lines? almost all of them were low-res in the beginning. The newer ones might be realy leaks and stuff but the parts cannot be leaked this easy. What about statements? T-mobile or Sprint? (I forgot which one said) We all know that you have to have a meeting with companies to sell their products... So why mention iPhone 5?

chrmjenkins
Oct 2, 2011, 09:34 AM
People have forgotten that AT&T is taking delivery of iphone 5 (new design) cases. Do you think they are having these delivered "just in case"? ********. Someone knows something.

Also, as a long time iPhone user and current developer/tester of Android devices, Apple needs a 4" screen. I have been playing with Samsungs with beautiful 4"+ screens. If you haven't see the beautiful screens out there, you're missing out. Apple would be stupid to ignore these devices.

No, they aren't. We have no confirmation those released shots were from an AT&T store.

benmrii
Oct 2, 2011, 09:37 AM
I dont think that :apple:Steve would leave Apple in such time, if there is no big surprise going on. Steve hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple...

The shares only went down 5.13% that day, rebounded and exceeded the next week, and hit its record high less than a month later. I know Steve Jobs' departure shook a lot of people, but not the market so much.

He left for health reasons and I doubt those are effected by product releases. Not to mention what is being released on Tuesday has been in the works a lot longer than just a few months.

I'm hoping for a redesign, too, but I don't think Jobs' departure is an indicator either way.

wovel
Oct 2, 2011, 09:40 AM

Problem is some people have reported that the A5 is necessary to use apples new assistant feature (due to processing demands). Would they rerelease the iPhone 4 when it couldn't run one of the key iOS features since it only has the A4. Has apple ever sold an iPhone model that couldn't take full advantage of the iOS software? Would they rerelease a 16 month old phone for another 12 months only with reduced storage?

Yes, the would, they have, and they do.

----------

No, they aren't. We have no confirmation those released shots were from an AT&T store.

We have no confirmation on any rumors about the iPhone 4s/5. None. You can't prove to me those screenshots are from Apples inventory database either. It would take me less than 5 minutes to make on original screenshot that said the name of that phone was the iPhone 5.

Should I blurry it up like they did for decent effect, or just take a dcnt shot?

78-bit
Oct 2, 2011, 09:50 AM

I'm now convinced the people absolutely certain there will be a redesigned iPhone 5 announced on Tuesday are the same people who believe 9/11 was an inside job.

rick98761
Oct 2, 2011, 09:57 AM
Has it been discussed that maybe apple will announce an iPhone pro line? Maybe they will show the new bigger screen but it won't be available for a month or two. I for one would love them to ditch the new phone name each year and just have something like iPhone and iPhone pro.

I could see this happening Tuesday

iPhone 4 - free - $99
iPhone 4s 199 (16) 249-300 (32)
iPhone 5 300 and up. Maybe 64 gb?

Maybe they would call them

iPhone cheapie ( jk on that one)
iPhone
iPhone pro

Let's face it. They can't keep coming up with these names because iPhone 9 is going to be pretty dumb. It's either drop the name or start using dumb ones like every other phone out there that mean absolutely nothing: iPhone fireball turbo ultra edition.

marcusj0015
Oct 2, 2011, 09:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm tired of reasing about people saying they won't get the fifth gen iphone if apple dosen't redesign it.

STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT, LETS ONLY DISCUSS THE FACTS/LEAKS WE HAVE.

DotCom2
Oct 2, 2011, 10:02 AM
No, but Apple dispels rumours through blogs such as Daring Fireball, AllThingsD and The Loop. Unofficially, of course, but they give information they wish to share to these blogs who report these scoops. They did it to lower expectations for WWDC (no new iPhone hardware).

EDIT: So basically, I figure that Apple would get one of these blogs to report that there is no chance of an iPhone 5 so that expectations are lowered BEFORE the event. This would temper expectations so that it isn't considered a letdown and the iPhone 4S is focused on because all of the bitching has already been done, rather then the iPhone 5 that never was. However, this is nowhere close to any sort of evidence, it's just interesting.

Excuse me, but there has been lowered expectation leaks.
Have you read John Gruber's blog titled "Teardrop Skepticism" posted on Friday?
Read it and you will see why there will be NO redesign.
http://daringfireball.net/

marcusj0015
Oct 2, 2011, 10:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

And why has macrumors become a whinefest when we don't get what we want?

I completely get the disappointment and anger, but what happend to punching the wall and bitching on your facebook/twitter/tumblr????

Azadre
Oct 2, 2011, 10:07 AM

My 3GS is good enough.

marcusj0015
Oct 2, 2011, 10:08 AM

An iPhone 2011 wouldnot be in the new case anyway...

DotCom2
Oct 2, 2011, 10:18 AM
Yes, Gruber has voiced his opinion (opinion being the keyword here), and his thinking that a teardrop design would be uncomfortable to hold on to. Paczkowski... he didn't say anything about there being no iPhone 5. His last iPhone related post was Sept 27th, about the media invites, and he states that nothing is confirmed except that the next iPhone will most likely have A5 and global chip.

Either way, what I mean is that there hasn't been an aggressive response from The Loop or AllthingsD about no iPhone 5. Remember when that annoying (and unfortunately right) Kara Swisher lady kept reiterating that we won't see the next iPhone until October? Well, that's what I mean by Apple aggressively knocking down false rumors and managing expectations.

If AllthingsD or The Loop post an article/statement about "Our sources [which is Apple] say new iPhone will be 4S," then it is 99% official that all we are getting is 4S.

Gruber never said that, he said only "I don't know", that's what is post mean. He said that he doesn't believe in a tear drop design "don't count on it", mainly because he doesn't like the idea. But at the same time he said "ask again later" to wether there would be two new iPhone instead of just one.

They can't just come out and say it!
They have to be subtle about it and just drop hints and inuendo's.

trajen
Oct 2, 2011, 10:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has there been any evidence of an improved FaceTime camera? I hope at least 1-2MP.

"There has been no evidence that the tapered iPhone 5 design is actually in production." love this!

lachero23
Oct 2, 2011, 10:35 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The number "1" on the phone app icon tells us that they will release only one model. I bet on the second presumption.

bushido
Oct 2, 2011, 10:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The number "1" on the phone app icon tells us that they will release only one model. I bet on the second presumption.

Could also mean itll be the #1 phone :p

DotCom2
Oct 2, 2011, 10:49 AM

I'm pretty sure it means ONE phone world wide because it will be both GSM and CDMA.

BD1
Oct 2, 2011, 11:13 AM

Have there been anymore reports of these cases showing up at AT&T stores? Or was this just the one store/report?

----------

What if the iPhone 4S does have a 4 inch screen and Apple have just expanded the size of the iPhone design. Same design just bigger :)

This is what I have been wondering also. Weren't there some Wall Street or Bloomberg rumors that the next iPhone would have a 4 inch screen in basically the same form factor?

myrtlebee
Oct 2, 2011, 11:22 AM
There has been no evidence that the tapered iPhone 5 design is actually in production.

This is great- I can hear the collective rage of everyone who has voted down every comment I've made over the past week that Arn has pretty much compiled everything me and other realists have been saying - no redesigned iPhone 5 on Tuesday. There is no proof, no valid rumors, the AT&T "inventory lists" meant squat, etc, etc. I'm glad MacRumors had the balls to do this. Carry on...

McGiord
Oct 2, 2011, 11:27 AM

I agree that the original teardrop rumors looked too aggressive.
However the german fabrication don't seem that bad, however will be interesting to see how this actually is.

Also about having a bigger screen, I still do prefer to maintain the 'Retina Display'.

I am more inclined that the next new design will be liquid metal made, and with a curved shape like the 3G or something like it, maybe better feeling when you are holding it, lighter and not slippy.

What happened with the curved glass rumors?
Not that I am looking forward for this, but it is not included in the nice pictograph posted above.

And also the 3D without glasses?
I haven't seen or hold any of the 3D screen devices like the Nintendo 3DS, how are they?

raviadso
Oct 2, 2011, 11:35 AM
Sooooo

no iphone 5
iphone 4 is an enormous speed boost (CPU, GPU)
there is no way the 4s is 1gb of ram. Even the ipad 2 only has 512

I think a lot of people will be disappointed, but with a 3GS beginning to fail in my hand, I would absolutely love to have the innards of an ipad 2 in my phone (and the iphone 4 is gorgeous, btw)

soya
Oct 2, 2011, 11:44 AM
I totally agree with this rumour as it was my initial thoughts. We can add that plist refers to iPhone 3,2 (N90A) / iPhone 4,1 (N93) / iPhone 4,2 (N94) where the 1st has A4 and the 2nd-3rd A5. Makes sense that they will all be dual-mode and the N90A will not be only low-cost but also dual-mode as I don't remember that the 3GS got an A next to its N8x reference when it was released in 8GB version.

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 11:49 AM

I would counter that there have been no substantive rumors about an iPhone 5 just random speculation.

If there was some specific evidence to refute sure but there isn't any. As far ad I know there are not many if any strong apple sites expecting an iPhone 5 at this point.

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 11:57 AM

Its a place holder in their logistics and inventory system. Friend of mine works for a large international carrier in managerial level and has no idea what's coming. They only know it's the new iPhone but that's the far as it goes. These are the same guys who are responsible for day to day operations so that explains why you have something like iPhone 5 in the inventory lists as a placeholder. You have to be a top executive have real knowledge of future iPhones and those guys have nothing to do with these lists.

Mist CEOs are bug picture guys. He called it iPhone 5 for the same reason anyone has been calling it iPhone 5.

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 12:02 PM

That is very true, indeed.

Okay, Arn, what about the rumors that Apple manufacturers are having a hard time working on the iPhone 5, and that they're producing many faulty units (here (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/21/will-the-iphone-4s-be-the-only-iphone-launched-at-apples-fall-event/) and here (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/08/foxconn-is-already-producing-150000-iphone-5sday-2nd-supplier-pegatron-wont-begin-until-2012/))?

And Wintek's "delayed bubble" in the screen (here (http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/23/delayed-bubble-defect-on-wintek-panels-could-affect-initial-iphone-5-shipments/))? Why would you have a screen problem now, if you're using the same screen?

These rumors show some proof of iPhone 5 production.

There is not going to be a teardrop iPhone for any time in the foreseeable future. The design makes no sense for the iPhone.

Clearly the production problems came from trying to produce something nobody was being asked to produce

DotCom2
Oct 2, 2011, 12:02 PM
Sooooo

no iphone 5
iphone 4 is an enormous speed boost (CPU, GPU)
there is no way the 4s is 1gb of ram. Even the ipad 2 only has 512

I think a lot of people will be disappointed, but with a 3GS beginning to fail in my hand, I would absolutely love to have the innards of an ipad 2 in my phone (and the iphone 4 is gorgeous, btw)

Yet, there will be features (gimmicks) that will only be available on the iPhone 4S that if they appeal to you, you and many others will possibly upgrade anyway.
EDIT: Sorry, quoted the wrong post.

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 12:08 PM

You believe all these guys have an automagically pipeline that feeds them everything at apple. They would all tell you that is not the case.

There are no rumors right now of any substance that an iPhone 5 is imminent. There is nothing to debunk.

I think it is a bit insulting to all those people that you characterize then all as apple pr flacks

DeathChill
Oct 2, 2011, 12:14 PM
Yes, I've seen it. However, like AIP5 said, I would imagine that Gruber would be taking a much more authoritative position, not prefacing it with "I really don't know anything about the new iPhone." This just leads to more speculation.

You believe all these guys have an automagically pipeline that feeds them everything at apple. They would all tell you that is not the case.

There are no rumors right now of any substance that an iPhone 5 is imminent. There is nothing to debunk.

I think it is a bit insulting to all those people that you characterize then all as apple pr flacks

I do not believe that they know everything going on at Apple. I certainly do believe that Apple feeds them information that it wants put out there and I'd have a hard time believing that you don't believe the same.

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 12:19 PM

No, the biggest selling products need numbers attached to them so consumers can better differentiate, and are more likely to go out and buy the new one. It's simply marketing. Which is a large reason why I think there will be a '5' no matter what form factor it comes in. Simply due to marketing, people want a '5' not a 4S, it's really as simple as that.

As someone who owns a very successful marketing company, I will disagree with your assertion that the name makes that much difference.

Apple names their iPhones based on their external design not generation. The 4s is using the 4 body and frame thus why it gets the name.

CalWizrd
Oct 2, 2011, 12:20 PM
I dont think that :apple:Steve would leave Apple in such time, if there is no big surprise going on. Steve hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple. (I know that he has medical problems, but thats not the point here)...

That is an incredibly ridiculous and uninformed statement. Steve Jobs is very seriously ill. Apple is certainly his life, and he would not have stepped down unless he literally had no choice but to do so. Whether or not there was a new iPhone design played absolutely no part in this unfortunate situation.

To say that he hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple is beyond moronic.

mikerudolph22
Oct 2, 2011, 12:27 PM
Willy Wonka works at Apple. I love it. I check MacRumors like its my job.

Can't wait to see what it ends up being. I wouldn't be disappointed if its just the iPhone 4S and is HSPA+ compatible.

Really pumped for voice integration and iOS 5.

DeathChill
Oct 2, 2011, 12:29 PM
Willy Wonka works at Apple. I love it. I check MacRumors like its my job.

So you're an analyst, are you? ;)

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 12:32 PM

Yes, the would, they have, and they do.

----------

We have no confirmation on any rumors about the iPhone 4s/5. None. You can't prove to me those screenshots are from Apples inventory database either. It would take me less than 5 minutes to make on original screenshot that said the name of that phone was the iPhone 5.

Should I blurry it up like they did for decent effect, or just take a dcnt shot?

Umm yeah we have the 4S designation in the iTunes beta. That is proof from apple themselves.

There is no evidence an iPhone 5 model exists at this point which means it probably does not

medazinol
Oct 2, 2011, 12:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

I can live without a new design on the new iPhone. There isn't anything wrong with the iPhone 4 design. However I will be very disappointed if it doesn't have a larger screen. The iPhone really needs a 4"+ screen

mikerudolph22
Oct 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
Wouldn't having a bigger screen with a different number of pixels force ALL apps to be incompatible, similar to the way many apps are displayed smaller on the iPad?

I think unless they have some sort of immediate compatibility (or auto mapping of pixels) thru iOS 5, it is unlikely they will have a larger screen. If they do though, all the developers will have to make 3 versions (old iPhone, new iPhone, and iPad) of displays for their apps.

RafaelT
Oct 2, 2011, 12:56 PM

You know what, there could be something to this. While I think it would be a long shot, it is possible. Without the cellular radio the iPod touch has plenty of battery to power the larger screen for a decent amount of time.

People would go nuts for an iPod with a larger screen.

chrmjenkins
Oct 2, 2011, 12:56 PM
Last few glimmers of hope:

Toplosky formerly of engadget broke taper design. His sources have good track record.

Cases are out based on taper. Cases have correctly predicted iPad 2 and ipod touch models ahead of launch.

Screen manufacturing issues report. If screen size isn't changing, then why so many problems? New supplier or new screen?

IPhone 4,1 4,2 and 4,3 entries appeared in itunes. Now only 4,1 is showing up. However, all itunes entries have turned into actual products except iFPGA. It makes sense that they would all be 4 because they all presumably share the same A5 processor.

16 months for an internal upgrade? Only makes sense if they are stalling for iOS 5.

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you remember any leaks from the original iPad? I remember there were rumors flying around about a tablet like device from Apple, etc, but did we know if such a device was in production, or part leaks?

As for iPad 2, the design was revealed only at the event, right?

the8thark
Oct 2, 2011, 01:18 PM
I dont think that :apple:Steve would leave Apple in such time, if there is no big surprise going on. Steve hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple.

Steve Jobs did not leave Apple. He is still an Apple employee. He just has a different job with Apple now.

bushido
Oct 2, 2011, 01:24 PM

lol at "a USER confirms" CONFIRMS! .... thats all

Cougarcat
Oct 2, 2011, 01:40 PM
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you remember any leaks from the original iPad? I remember there were rumors flying around about a tablet like device from Apple, etc, but did we know if such a device was in production, or part leaks?

Yes, there were part leaks. (http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/09/15/shared.details.of.ipad.1.lcd.shipments/)

As for iPad 2, the design was revealed only at the event, right?

There were case leaks as well as a few parts (white bezel).

Last few glimmers of hope:

Don't forget the photostream icon. To me, that's the most compelling evidence, because it came straight from apple.

toddybody
Oct 2, 2011, 01:43 PM
Its ludicrous to believe Apple would delay their standard release for a ho hum iPhone 4S. If that is really all they have up their sleeves, that's depressing. There has to be an iPhone 5 this Tuesday.

ChromeAce
Oct 2, 2011, 01:46 PM

"The source of much of the confusion is the natural use of the term "iPhone 5" to simply refer to the next-generation iPhone that Apple will be launching on October 4th."

In other words, MacRumors created the confusion they're now "reporting."

toddybody
Oct 2, 2011, 01:53 PM
Wouldn't having a bigger screen with a different number of pixels force ALL apps to be incompatible, similar to the way many apps are displayed smaller on the iPad?

I think unless they have some sort of immediate compatibility (or auto mapping of pixels) thru iOS 5, it is unlikely they will have a larger screen. If they do though, all the developers will have to make 3 versions (old iPhone, new iPhone, and iPad) of displays for their apps.

Why should the bigger screen have more pixels? Given the larger screen size, the viewing distancing will be accordingly further, and a 960x640 screen at 4" is still an amazing 288 PPI. For reference, the iPads PPI is only 131.

Cheers Mate

strausd
Oct 2, 2011, 01:59 PM

There is not going to be a teardrop iPhone for any time in the foreseeable future. The design makes no sense for the iPhone.

Clearly the production problems came from trying to produce something nobody was being asked to produce

For someone who tells people to stop speculating, you sure do a lot yourself ;)

Also, maybe you should learn to use the "edit" button ;)

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 02:22 PM

As DeathChill noted, that is Gruber's opinion piece. He still maintains in his disclosure before his opinion piece, that he personally has no idea what iPhone(s) Apple will unveil.

Personally speaking, I think the symmetry argument for no tear drop is very weak. The teardrop in digital mock-ups all seem to be exaggerated. The German physical mock up shows that the teardrop is fairly unnoticeable (although definitely present). As for holding the phone in landscape mode, I highly doubt it would make anyone hate the phone simply because one side is less than a couple of mm thicker than the other side. If anything, I doubt it would be that noticeable given the overall thinness of the purported design.

iJcaP
Oct 2, 2011, 02:22 PM

Why would Apple hold an event that would be just to go over what they did in June. If there was just going to be a small update to the iPhone they would have just said it as a 'One more Thing'. I think that there's something really special going on with The 5th generation iPhone. This event has to focus and something BIG they want to add to iPhone. The title even says "LET'S TALK iPhone." I think the LETS TALK points to the Assistant feature being a major feature in the next iPhone. The iPhone 4S is not going to be an insignificant update to iPhone. Now whether the next phone will be a redesign is driving us crazy, I really would like one but chances are slim based on rumors. If there is a redesign it'll be their best kept secret for iPhone.*

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 02:32 PM
Yes, there were part leaks. (http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/09/15/shared.details.of.ipad.1.lcd.shipments/)

There were case leaks as well as a few parts (white bezel).

Don't forget the photostream icon. To me, that's the most compelling evidence, because it came straight from apple.

Ah, but see, that URL about "part leaks" is about the Samsung employee who ran about disclosing LCD numbers to an analyst. If that rumor was aired during the time before iPad 1, I would say that not many people would have believed that rumor or story outright. Many would have dismissed a report from the analyst in the story, and many more would have doubted the story itself (kind of like the CNet Apple prototype story).

Also, notice how the Samsung employee claims that an Apple employee was tracking him in that restaurant. That claim doesn't seem far-fetched, given Apple's recent security measures. So I'm just saying, that is is posible that iPhone 5 security is in a complete lock-down mode. It is possible. Probable? Not sure. But possible.

I agree about the Photostream icon; it definitely raises many flags.

Nuvi
Oct 2, 2011, 02:49 PM
Why should the bigger screen have more pixels? Given the larger screen size, the viewing distancing will be accordingly further, and a 960x640 screen at 4" is still an amazing 288 PPI. For reference, the iPads PPI is only 131.

Cheers Mate

288 PPI wouldn't be "Retina display" by Apple standards. I think Apple wants to go >300 PPI. Anyway, on mobile phones viewing distance is not dictated by screen size. This is just a wild guess but I would be surprised if Apple introduces bigger displays on iPhone 4S. I'm betting my money on bigger screens during 2012.

Detlev_73
Oct 2, 2011, 02:57 PM
I'm fine with the iPhone 4. I'm most interested in iPad 3 with a high resolution screen. I want an iPad screen with such sharp resolution that my eyeballs bleed!!! If I have to wait until March-April timeframe, fine, but come on already Apple, get on the ball, will you?!

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 03:01 PM

The iPhone 4 screen is amazing. Most larger screens suck in comparison. Apple is not like the android cartel who just willy nilly add things without thinking them through.

Apple would have to deal with numerous issues in adding a larger screen not just slap it on like a droid makers

marksman
Oct 2, 2011, 03:06 PM

For someone who tells people to stop speculating, you sure do a lot yourself ;)

Also, maybe you should learn to use the "edit" button ;)

I never told anyone not to speculate. Acquire some reading comprehension. I suggest you unlearn how to use the reply button.

myrtlebee
Oct 2, 2011, 03:09 PM
I can hear the crickets chirping and echoes bouncing off the walls in this thread as compared to yesterday's. I guess MacRumors hammering the nail in iPhone 5's casket has finally quelled most of the people who put their fingers in their ears and mumble over and over, "There will be an iPhone 5 on Tuesday". :o

toddybody
Oct 2, 2011, 03:40 PM
288 PPI wouldn't be "Retina display" by Apple standards. I think Apple wants to go >300 PPI. Anyway, on mobile phones viewing distance is not dictated by screen size. This is just a wild guess but I would be surprised if Apple introduces bigger displays on iPhone 4S. I'm betting my money on bigger screens during 2012.

Apple did not go with the 300+ PPI display many folks anticipated in the iPad 2, so I think the possibility exists in not implementing a "retina" 4" 1920x1280 for the iPhone 5 (which presents a totally superfluous 576 PPI @ 4"). Other pixel dimensions would introduce a strange compatibility standard for the iOS line (not saying that they couldnt do some kind of 900p screen to achieve the 3XX DPI you say is critical)

Anyways, what dictates viewing distance on device if not screen size? And why does a phone's viewing distance differ inherently from similar devices (iPad/Notebook...etc). It's a paramount factor.

AnthonyHarris
Oct 2, 2011, 03:41 PM

The only thing that Apple is really behind with is screen size... I don't think that a bigger screen is terribly important but that is just my opinion, but the iPhone surpasses other devices on the Market because it is so good at what it does. Every implementation just works.

The same can't be said for competitors.

Illumination
Oct 2, 2011, 04:14 PM
Look, the possibility of an iPhone 5 on Tuesday has dropped to almost zero in the past few days. The majority of people upgrading are people upgrading from their 3GS or 3G. A 4S will suffice. People with iPhone 4's don't need to upgrade because:

1) They're probably not eligible for one yet. Especially the ones who waited for a white one.
2) Their phones are not slow and have all the new features.
3) They will run iOS 5.

If you want a bigger screen at this point in time, you'll have to look elsewhere. There may be lots of phones with 4" screens, but the two iPhones on sale right now are the top two smartphones. There's no pressure to increase the screen size.

Will this hurt them? No. It will sell well, like everything does.

Castiel
Oct 2, 2011, 04:16 PM
Several retailers and carriers are beginning to list "iPhone 5" on their websites, which some readers seem to take this as evidence for a redesigned iPhone. Those companies' use of the term "iPhone 5" is not referring to any particular design (tapered or otherwise) but are simply placeholders. They are simply using the term "iPhone 5" as an naturally descriptive term to mean "the iPhone that comes after the iPhone 4".

But at least on the Cincinnati Bell website it says 4" screen in the description, which would be a redesign. :confused:

Darwing
Oct 2, 2011, 04:17 PM

There will be a redesigned iPhone 5 on Tuesday :)

Give us one good reason why, after 4 years and already a complete overhaul of the phone in every way possible, would they do another redesign????

The iPhone took 3 years until they redesigned it... All the R&D that went into designing it for just 1 year??? Not a chance...

What's really going to happen like they said ALREADY!, is a major software upgrade and a non-mentionable hardware upgrade, so minimal that they didnt even talk about it at wwdc!

All the cases and bumpers and everything are geared towards the ip4, it will remain the same for the 4s to retain consistency. It's apple, takes years to change!

Illumination
Oct 2, 2011, 04:19 PM
But at least on the Cincinnati Bell website it says 4" screen in the description, which would be a redesign. :confused:
Those are no longer on the website. Those also could have very well been faked, especially since it was in the prepaid section.

Frankied22
Oct 2, 2011, 04:36 PM

There will be a redesigned iPhone 5 on Tuesday :)

Give us one good reason why, after 4 years and already a complete overhaul of the phone in every way possible, would they do another redesign????

The iPhone took 3 years until they redesigned it... All the R&D that went into designing it for just 1 year??? Not a chance...

What's really going to happen like they said ALREADY!, is a major software upgrade and a non-mentionable hardware upgrade, so minimal that they didnt even talk about it at wwdc!

All the cases and bumpers and everything are geared towards the ip4, it will remain the same for the 4s to retain consistency. It's apple, takes years to change!

There will be a redesigned iPhone 5 on Tuesday. :)

myrtlebee
Oct 2, 2011, 04:42 PM
The iPhone 5ers are turning into a complete train wreck. Every time someone posts an explanation with facts that back up the 4S only (including this article), their replies are equivalent to a child in a toy store stammering "but, but, but..." after mamma says no to a new teddy.

mgsarch
Oct 2, 2011, 04:47 PM
I Hope they put apple A6 into the iPhone 5 and it should destroy most android phones :)

Right, that will be next October. :mad:

marcusj0015
Oct 2, 2011, 04:47 PM
I'm fine with the ip4 form factor, IF the glass doesn't break like i've been hearing about, and if they fix the antenna issue, without some form of case or bumper.. it needs to be a permant fix...

myrtlebee
Oct 2, 2011, 04:55 PM
I'm fine with the ip4 form factor, IF the glass doesn't break like i've been hearing about, and if they fix the antenna issue, without some form of case or bumper.. it needs to be a permant fix...

Most people have not experienced these issues whatsoever. Once you hold one, it's pretty evident that the glass is solid. I can't imagine it breaking unless someone drops it on a rock. The antenna has never been an issue for me or anyone I've know with one (and I have the AT&T version). The stories are greatly exaggerated.

marcusj0015
Oct 2, 2011, 05:01 PM
oh, and IMO the buttons are craptastic looking... be nice if they put plastic buttons and put the antennas inside those plastic buttons...

MartiNZ
Oct 2, 2011, 05:05 PM
Most people have not experienced these issues whatsoever. Once you hold one, it's pretty evident that the glass is solid. I can't imagine it breaking unless someone drops it on a rock. The antenna has never been an issue for me or anyone I've know with one (and I have the AT&T version). The stories are greatly exaggerated.

Try a footpath or a carpet from the side of a bed. That's how friends of mine have shattered theirs; the stuff really is pretty fragile.

And don't even start saying deathgrip is exaggerated. Holding the phone in the most natural fashion will drop the reception completely within a minute - I just don't see how you can exaggerate from how bad it is. :confused:

Of course, the bumper case does get around the issue, but it also causes scuff and pock marks around a lot of the ugly metal band something chronic - not the best trade off. No redesign, no sale ... someone should get placards done!

myrtlebee
Oct 2, 2011, 05:16 PM
Try a footpath or a carpet from the side of a bed. That's how friends of mine have shattered theirs; the stuff really is pretty fragile.

This is not true. Is the "carpet" concrete?

And don't even start saying deathgrip is exaggerated. Holding the phone in the most natural fashion will drop the reception completely within a minute - I just don't see how you can exaggerate from how bad it is. :confused:

I have tried so many different ways to replicate this "death grip" and I have not once reproduced it even when trying. This is a complete nonissue- at least for people with white iPhones (which is what I have).

Of course, the bumper case does get around the issue, but it also causes scuff and pock marks around a lot of the ugly metal band something chronic - not the best trade off. No redesign, no sale ... someone should get placards done!

I use a bumper from eBay that looks exactly like the Apple bumper. I got it for $3 and no issues whatsoever. Even if there were a redesigned iPhone 5 I do not see the majority of users using it "naked" - so I can't see the fuss over a bumper (which isn't even needed, likely).

oh, and IMO the buttons are craptastic looking... be nice if they put plastic buttons and put the antennas inside those plastic buttons...

Wait... you prefer plastic buttons to iPhone 4's stainless steel? Ha! Now I've heard it all. Is this going to be the new bandwagon reason behind people calling for a redesigned iPhone?

marcusj0015
Oct 2, 2011, 05:19 PM
because bumpers and cases suck?

they make the iPhone hotter, bigger, less comfortable all because their too fragile...

Go ahead, down vote me... see how many ****s i give ;)

myrtlebee
Oct 2, 2011, 05:26 PM
because bumpers and cases suck?

Please. I'd venture to guess that over 60% of iPhone users use one or the other simply because they value the extra protection- no matter how strong the device is. I don't care if it were built of steel alone, I'd still use a case of some sort.

they make the iPhone hotter

A bumper does no such thing.

bigger

by a couple of centimeters... but wait, aren't the people rooting for a redesigned iPhone 5 wanting bigger anyway?

less comfortable

not at all- actually moreso in this case

all because their too fragile...

No they are not. But, you know, there's not much of a point in a back and forth on that point.

kyjaotkb
Oct 2, 2011, 05:26 PM

I use a 3GS. Dropped it a few times on the pavement from my hands (lets say from 1,20m high). I mean old, hard rocks made pavement. Except from a few scratches on the plastic back and a 1mm dent in the bottom left corner it is in pristine state. I'm not so sure a bare iPhone 4 would have endured bravely such a destiny. It's all about shock absorption. And there plastic helps a lot...

photographypro
Oct 2, 2011, 05:34 PM
From all the rumors, and nothing concrete about a 5, I think Apple will release a 4S in October, and then a "6" in June, to get back on their June schedule. (I say 6 because the 4 was a major update and was the 4th in the lineup).

Also, Apple I don't believe wanted to release a 5 so soon after releasing the Verizon iPhone 4.

ghostlyorb
Oct 2, 2011, 05:43 PM

I'm with you on that one. I love the iPhone, don't get me wrong.

markmarshall
Oct 2, 2011, 05:51 PM

I think apple might be about to reveal refreshed 4 (cheaper) an iPhone 4s And...... Wait for it a new iPod touch (what we think will be the iPhone 5. Tapered design, thin, apple 4s internals

toddybody
Oct 2, 2011, 05:55 PM
Go ahead, down vote me... see how many ****s i give ;)

Whoa, what a rebel!

:rolleyes:

myrtlebee
Oct 2, 2011, 05:55 PM

I think apple might be about to reveal refreshed 4 (cheaper) an iPhone 4s And...... Wait for it a new iPod touch (what we think will be the iPhone 5. Tapered design, thin, apple 4s internals

That thought has definitely crossed my mine. I could see them making it the sole "iPod" and discontinuing the others.

rockyroad55
Oct 2, 2011, 05:56 PM
From all the rumors, and nothing concrete about a 5, I think Apple will release a 4S in October, and then a "6" in June, to get back on their June schedule. (I say 6 because the 4 was a major update and was the 4th in the lineup).

Also, Apple I don't believe wanted to release a 5 so soon after releasing the Verizon iPhone 4.

That's 8-9 months between. Anyone who purchases the next iPhone will not be eligible for an upgrade at all. Not even the early adopters since they will be 3-4 months short.

photographypro
Oct 2, 2011, 06:05 PM
That's 8-9 months between. Anyone who purchases the next iPhone will not be eligible for an upgrade at all. Not even the early adopters since they will be 3-4 months short.

ATT's unwritten rule is if your bill is $100 a month or more, you can upgrade every 12 mo. But if less< 18 mo to 2 years. I,ve owned all 4 models, and bought the last 2 the day they came out (was on the news with the 4). However, if the 4S is only faster w new camera, I'm waiting.

When the 4 came out it's camera was compared to the 8mp Sony, and the 4 was as good or better, so the new 8mp Sony camera doesn't impress me.

Nuvi
Oct 2, 2011, 06:10 PM
Apple did not go with the 300+ PPI display many folks anticipated in the iPad 2, so I think the possibility exists in not implementing a "retina" 4" 1920x1280 for the iPhone 5 (which presents a totally superfluous 576 PPI @ 4"). Other pixel dimensions would introduce a strange compatibility standard for the iOS line (not saying that they couldnt do some kind of 900p screen to achieve the 3XX DPI you say is critical)

Anyways, what dictates viewing distance on device if not screen size? And why does a phone's viewing distance differ inherently from similar devices (iPad/Notebook...etc). It's a paramount factor.

Regarding iPad 2 the Retina display would have probably been too expensive and used too much power due to back light requirements. I believe the magic number of 300 is derived from off set printing. Going over it means higher resolution then normal offset. Just another wild guess but I'll bet developers need to start tinkering with resolutions during 2012 if they want to serve iPad 3 and future iPhone (2012) clients.

Regarding viewing distance the average viewing distance when texting is roughly 36 cm and when surfing the web it's bit over 30 cm. According to studies the task carried out is decisive factor and not the actual mobile phone screen size. If one would build considerably larger display with OS using large fonts and GUI elements then one could assume that the working distance would be greater. However, this is not the current trend.

pmz
Oct 2, 2011, 06:29 PM

Thanks for that.

Now can I point out that up until the day of iPad 2 introduction, there was no evidence that product was actually in production...

...except the cases that had been exactly right for months prior.

Yea I'll go with recent history.

brock2621
Oct 2, 2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks for that.

Now can I point out that up until the day of iPad 2 introduction, there was no evidence that product was actually in production...

There were screen and bezel leaks, even white ones

Bryan Bowler
Oct 2, 2011, 06:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I love all the comments from iPhone 4 users saying they've been waiting so long for the next iPhone. I bought the 3GS the week it came out and I've been waiting a lot longer than you folks for the iPhone 4 successor.

For me the iPhone 4S or 5 will be a massive upgrade. I'd prefer it be the 5 but if it's just a 4S it will still be an insane upgrade over what I've got.

That being said, Apple will only be playing catch up with other products, coming out with something just as good as what's out there, and not surpass the specs of other phones. I think that would be a mistake. They want to be the leaders, not the ones playing catch up. It'll still be a successful phone either way. Only a tiny percentage of people (lots of them readers here) that will give up on Apple if they don't release a new design.

Some folks are talking about the long wait since they bought their 3GS. Well, I'm typing this post on my 3G. I'm definitely ready for an upgrade!

Bryan

bushido
Oct 2, 2011, 06:53 PM

Yes, cuz apple is gonna make the touch superior to the high priced iphone :rolleyes:

we r talking about the phone business here. Nokia, htc & samsung poop out a new phone every few months. I sure as hell expect from a company to come out with a new design idea after 1,5 years ...

kiwiboi87
Oct 2, 2011, 07:20 PM

To be honest I'm over all the hype and down play, apple will do what apple will do. Iv got a iPhone4, it's good at the momemet. Womt be rushing to upgrade, unless it's a wicked upgrade.

The iPhone is a bit behind of the pack, in terms of OS and hardware.

All I want right now is iOS5, with all of the features. Dont want apple holding anything back. Or I will be pissed

AIP5
Oct 2, 2011, 07:31 PM
So, Reach9 posted an interesting WSJ article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203791904576606891661918466.html) in the iPhone Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1237926). The article states nothing new, except for the reiteration of the fact that Apple has been working on a thinner and lighter design, but that the details are unclear.

I'm seeing this as a good thing for those interested in a redesigned iPhone 5. Here's why:

This is what most reliable news sources are coming down to. They were told of a redesign by someone inside Apple, which is why they published those "rumors" or as they call it, "reports." But now, many rumor sites like MR and 9to5Mac are saying no 5, only 4S.

That has left them in doubt also. But that's a good thing. Because that means they haven't heard from Apple since. Which is extremely good news, since a) Apple wants this confusion going into its event, and b) this means that Apple hasn't shot down the iPhone 5 rumors.

Viva la iPhone 5! :)

What do you think Arn?

ChrisTX
Oct 2, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'm with AIP5 here. I think Apple did a stellar job controlling security leaks here, and that a completely redesigned iPhone is on order Tuesday. I searched, and searched but couldn't find the article discussing Apple execs growing tired of the current form factor. That coupled with all of the case leaks makes me believe something radical is coming. The only way a redesigned iPhone might not be coming is if the new design was too radical, and difficult to produce, as some earlier reports(As far back as July) noted.

MartiNZ
Oct 2, 2011, 07:41 PM
This is not true. Is the "carpet" concrete?

I have tried so many different ways to replicate this "death grip" and I have not once reproduced it even when trying. This is a complete nonissue- at least for people with white iPhones (which is what I have).

I use a bumper from eBay that looks exactly like the Apple bumper. I got it for $3 and no issues whatsoever. Even if there were a redesigned iPhone 5 I do not see the majority of users using it "naked" - so I can't see the fuss over a bumper (which isn't even needed, likely).

Wait... you prefer plastic buttons to iPhone 4's stainless steel? Ha! Now I've heard it all. Is this going to be the new bandwagon reason behind people calling for a redesigned iPhone?

Wow, I guess this is why different people exist and why we are not all the same with the same experiences. You are seriously lucky but also in some serious denial. I have seen some pretty unbelievable outcomes of trivial treatment of iPhone 4s, and have opted to hold my iPhone 4 in a natural way and as such dropped calls and just generally incurred reception outages, like most people have, or there wouldn't have been a worldwide uproar.

And yes, I too would absolutely prefer having plastic buttons and outside - hence the bumper did make the iPhone 4 nicer, but it was also a dust magnet, as I said earlier, damaged the metal band, and has been said by others, made the device hotter.

Using the device without a cover is always going to be a preferable experience; they just need to improve/revert the design, hence the call for a redesign.

nylonsteel
Oct 2, 2011, 07:42 PM
re original article

odds are - a ho hum announcement - ip4s thingy

unless steve jobs appears and says "oh and just one more thing..." - he whips out the sexy tapered edge2edge screen - (rendered and mocked up on macrumors) fully functional - ip5 designed by jony ives

otherwise - samsung galaxy s ii hd lte and nexus prime will step up to bat - as though on steroids

iJcaP
Oct 2, 2011, 07:51 PM
So, Reach9 posted an interesting WSJ article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203791904576606891661918466.html) in the iPhone Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1237926). The article states nothing new, except for the reiteration of the fact that Apple has been working on a thinner and lighter design, but that the details are unclear.

I'm seeing this as a good thing for those interested in a redesigned iPhone 5. Here's why:

This is what most reliable news sources are coming down to. They were told of a redesign by someone inside Apple, which is why they published those "rumors" or as they call it, "reports." But now, many rumor sites like MR and 9to5Mac are saying no 5, only 4S.

That has left them in doubt also. But that's a good thing. Because that means they haven't heard from Apple since. Which is extremely good news, since a) Apple wants this confusion going into its event, and b) this means that Apple hasn't shot down the iPhone 5 rumors.

What do you think Arn?

I completely agree with you. Apple wants confusion going on in the blogs to make up for what happend with the iPhone 4 leak by Gizmodo.

WatchTheThrone
Oct 2, 2011, 07:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Apple knows they messed up with the iPhone 4 leak AND the iPad 2 leak as well.
So I'm thinking what if they do have an iPhone 5 BUT they only have a few prototypes at apple tied down with security protecting them??
What if they don't want a leak so bad that they hold out on making them cuz that's where all the leaks come from right!?
I hope they announce ios5 along with the cheaper 4 and then Steve says 1MORE THING....introducing the iPhone 5.
4 inch retina screen.
Thinner than an iPad 2.
A5 dual core processor to assist the assistant.
1gb of ram
64 gb of storage capacity
And coming in 2 weeks
If I'm correct you all owe me lunch

Djlild7hina
Oct 2, 2011, 08:06 PM
if there so happens to be a iphone 5 (redesigned) they did a heck of a job hiding it from us. i don't think they would promote the iphone 4's retina display for just a year and to be shot down the next... unless they improved the ppi for the 4" or w/e screen which there haven't been any leaks about new resolutions.

myrtlebee
Oct 2, 2011, 08:17 PM
and have opted to hold my iPhone 4 in a natural way and as such dropped calls and just generally incurred reception outages, like most people have, or there wouldn't have been a worldwide uproar.

Where are people having these dropped calls? I don't understand. I hold mine in a normal way. I have used mine in basements, office buildings, even an elevator. I am not in serious denial, but I guess I am "seriously lucky" as you put it. Hard to believe that since I have crap luck.... but apparently everyone else has reception issues and I have not? I am in Maryland. Maybe people are having reception issues because of lack of coverage and not the device itself? Just a thought.

And yes, I too would absolutely prefer having plastic buttons

Why would you want plastic buttons? What possible benefit does that have? Even the 3G/S had metal buttons.

the bumper did make the iPhone 4 nicer, but it was also a dust magnet, as I said earlier, damaged the metal band

Who told you that you were forced to buy an Apple Bumper? I have a third party bumper, as stated earlier, and I haven't had a scratch or damage whatsoever. The bumper combined with back and front "screen protectors" and I've been set since July.

and has been said by others, made the device hotter.

This is absolutely false. The bumper I have has not had any effect on the temperature of the device.

alq
Oct 2, 2011, 08:30 PM
+1 for Apple's perfect hiding job.

It would really surprise me if they did nothing the last 16 months - casedesignwise.

alq.

iJcaP
Oct 2, 2011, 08:35 PM

What do you think Arn?

+1 for Apple's perfect hiding job.

It would really surprise me if they did nothing the last 16 months - casedesignwise.

alq.

I know why wait 16 months to release something that would be NEARLY identical to the previous generation.

Ted13
Oct 2, 2011, 08:36 PM
So what you are essentially saying is, since the specs will be be identical whether it is called the 4S or 5, you will buy/not buy strictly based on the name.

You might want to think about what that implies about you.

MartiNZ
Oct 2, 2011, 08:39 PM
Where are people having these dropped calls? I don't understand. I hold mine in a normal way. I have used mine in basements, office buildings, even an elevator. I am not in serious denial, but I guess I am "seriously lucky" as you put it. Hard to believe that since I have crap luck.... but apparently everyone else has reception issues and I have not? I am in Maryland. Maybe people are having reception issues because of lack of coverage and not the device itself? Just a thought.

Why would you want plastic buttons? What possible benefit does that have? Even the 3G/S had metal buttons.

Who told you that you were forced to buy an Apple Bumper? I have a third party bumper, as stated earlier, and I haven't had a scratch or damage whatsoever. The bumper combined with back and front "screen protectors" and I've been set since July.

This is absolutely false. The bumper I have has not had any effect on the temperature of the device.

Nope this is in the middle of the city where full bars can be reduced to nothing. Oh, and the iPhone is in general worse with reception than most phones - basement of apartment building, iPhone, no service; any other phone, people happily talking ><. Oh, and "the people having these dropped calls" would post about it, but it's pointless, especially with reactions like yours ... oh, and they can't get the signal to post :D.

Oh I'll do your answers for you if you like: "NO, that is totally false"

More I'm talking about plastic outside, the metal band we have grown to hate, but I would also be happier with plastic buttons a la the iPod Touch ... or are they rubber even? More discreet and more comfortable anyway.

"NO, that is totally false"

Assumed the Apple Bumper would be the most sensible choice for an Apple product - it took the thought process out of it when I wasn't familiar with any others anyway; covers weren't that common for the 4 in NZ at that point. I've been "set" since I stopped using the bumper and made an effort to find a new way to hold the phone.

Actually not sure how you'll respond to that one ... I'm done anyway, feel free to have the last word :).

twittertinavane
Oct 2, 2011, 09:01 PM

Apple is beyond greedy With these turtle stepped upgrades

twittertinavane
Oct 2, 2011, 09:10 PM

Nope this is in the middle of the city where full bars can be reduced to nothing. Oh, and the iPhone is in general worse with reception than most phones - basement of apartment building, iPhone, no service; any other phone, people happily talking ><. Oh, and "the people having these dropped calls" would post about it, but it's pointless, especially with reactions like yours ... oh, and they can't get the signal to post :D.

Oh I'll do your answers for you if you like: "NO, that is totally false"

More I'm talking about plastic outside, the metal band we have grown to hate, but I would also be happier with plastic buttons a la the iPod Touch ... or are they rubber even? More discreet and more comfortable anyway.

"NO, that is totally false"

Assumed the Apple Bumper would be the most sensible choice for an Apple product - it took the thought process out of it when I wasn't familiar with any others anyway; covers weren't that common for the 4 in NZ at that point. I've been "set" since I stopped using the bumper and made an effort to find a new way to hold the phone.

Actually not sure how you'll respond to that one ... I'm done anyway, feel free to have the last word :).

Lol so dead on

myrtlebee
Oct 2, 2011, 09:11 PM

This is such BS. Again, I have never met anyone with an iPhone 4 who has had reception issues. I bet you roughly half of the posters on this forum have iPhone 4 and are satisfied with it and have not had reception problems. I ask you again- what makes you think it is the phone's design and not coverage issues? I've never had any issues. Things are fine in my state from what I've seen. That leads me to believe it's more coverage- related. You are blaming me for not believing you about having reception issues, yet you don't believe that I don't have them. Got it.

I have no problems with the steel band and buttons. The plastic buttons look cheap to me. They are only "more descrete" because of the tapered design. They are black on chrome, so that's not that discrete visually. Why not simply propose thinner metal buttons that are color matched? Why is this being discussed as a wanted feature for iPhone 5. I feel like you are arguing for the sake of arguing with that one.

You are in New Zealand? That would likely explain some of your reception issues.

Thanks for it.

pmz
Oct 2, 2011, 09:19 PM

Thanks for that.

You mean like the bezel photos that leaked over a month ago with the wide home button?

Illumination
Oct 2, 2011, 09:21 PM
I know why wait 16 months to release something that would be NEARLY identical to the previous generation.
Umm, the first three generations of the iPhone are all pretty much the same design. The iPhone 4 was the first redesign last year.

PAPO
Oct 2, 2011, 09:29 PM
I was at the flagship cube store in NY on 5th Ave (my first time in NYC during my first trip to the US) :D took some pics of what you I could see, and was told the place should be opening up again on Tuesday (and I'm leaving 1st thing tuesday morning so the NYC stop of this trip is mostly a bust now) with the product announcement and when I said iPhone to my mum the guy got a little defensive, so I think Apple has told them what's happening even though they usually don't seem to

roznstyle
Oct 2, 2011, 09:53 PM

Enough with the tapered design. Will not happen! There is zero material evidence to suggest it either. The "case leaks" mean nothing other than some manufacturers are jumping the gun with bad intel.

brock2621
Oct 2, 2011, 10:11 PM

Thanks for that.

You mean like the bezel photos that leaked over a month ago with the wide home button?

Show me a picture of a leaked production bezel with an elongated home button.

Koura
Oct 2, 2011, 10:15 PM
I was at the flagship cube store in NY on 5th Ave (my first time in NYC during my first trip to the US) :D took some pics of what you I could see, and was told the place should be opening up again on Tuesday (and I'm leaving 1st thing tuesday morning so the NYC stop of this trip is mostly a bust now) with the product announcement and when I said iPhone to my mum the guy got a little defensive, so I think Apple has told them what's happening even though they usually don't seem to

maybe the guy was just nervous because your mum is hawwwwt

lantinian
Oct 2, 2011, 10:33 PM

Here is why we will not see an iPhone 5.

The iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone made by Apple right?

Well the iPhone 4S has to be the 5th then.

If Apple is to announce a new teardrop design alongside the iPhone 4S, it will be Apple's 6th iPhone model. Therefore, they should call it iPhone 6, not iPhone 5.

However, I very much doubth they will do that since the A6 chips are not yet ready and it makes no sense for Apple to release an iPhone 6 with an A5 chip.

The iPhone 5 name appearing around just refers to the placeholder for Apple' 5th iPhone. Since no official anouncdment is made on how it will be called, people just referred it as the iPhone 5.

We now know that it will be called the iPhone 4S

Sorry guys. The teardrop iPhone 6 may come next year when they have LTE, the A6 and the big screen resolution figured out

iJcaP
Oct 2, 2011, 10:34 PM

Those phones came out in a 12 month interval. This time we waited 16 months. There is no way they would let out something small with such a significant back up. I'm not saying there's a tear drop design coming I'm just saying the next phone will be more significant than just under-the-hood updates

lantinian
Oct 2, 2011, 10:38 PM

It's not small at all. Actually if you try to take all factors into accout, the iPhone 4S scores better than any teardrop iPhone Apple can produce right now

Read my latest post: http://lantinian.blogspot.com/2011/09/about-iphone-4s.html

Thex1138
Oct 2, 2011, 10:45 PM

The teardrop case and subsequent hardware look more akin to iPod Touch... Since it looks like a few iPod lines are ending this and next year... iPod touch takes the reins...

Anonymous Freak
Oct 2, 2011, 10:55 PM

So, uh, how do you define "iPhone 5"? What is wrong with the specs listed as "iPhone 4S"? If they release the "iPhone 4S" spec machine as "iPhone 5", would you buy it?

What about if they release the "iPhone 5" spec machine as "iPhone 4S"? Define "iPhone 5" please...

CalWizrd
Oct 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, there's gonna be an iPhone 5... No, wait. No, it's just gonna be the 4S. No, I'm sure it'll be an iPhone 5. Um, no, it's probably just the iPhone 4S. No, it's gotta be an iPhone 5. Hold on... it must be just the iPhone 4S. No, has to be ... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

backinblack875
Oct 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
since I'm not a spec whore, ill be getting it either way.

Man9z0r
Oct 2, 2011, 11:19 PM
I can understand iPhone 5 being a place holder but I don't know why people are holding on to it so much. I would lean on the side that it is a iPhone 4S simply because they had a iPhone 3g then 3gs now the iPhone 4 and that could easily go to a iPhone 4S.

Also I don't know why when Apple has the top selling phone people seem to think they need to keep redesigning it. They are doing something right if everyone is buying their phone. So to the few people that say if it is not an iPhone 5 or have a redesign "I am not going to buy it!" I am sure are the same people I will see in line waiting for it. :D

acslater017
Oct 3, 2011, 12:15 AM
This has got to be one for the more mysterious Apple events. Two days out, and I'm still not sure what to expect. Every leak seems to point towards an "iPhone 4S" - part leaks, inventory descriptions, iOS/iTunes references, etc.

But a few things still make me believe that a fully redesigned iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it) is coming:
-Right or wrong, people associate external design with functional changes. It would be somewhat lackluster to ride ONE phone model 16 months and then re-use the same design for your next-generation phone.
-The iPhone 4 leaked prematurely. Therefore a lack of "iPhone 5" evidence this time around is not really surprising. It is quite possible that they've simply clamped down HARD on unintentional leaks.
-Apple knows how to manipulate the rumor machine in its favor. It will tamp down expectations if they lead to disappointment (e.g. saying explicitly that there would be no new iPhone at WWDC 2011). If rumors of an iPhone 5 were incorrect, Apple would probably intentionally leak things to control expectations.

engg2000
Oct 3, 2011, 12:23 AM
There will be a redesigned iPhone 5 on Tuesday. :)

Wrong!
Only an iPhone 4s....

marksman
Oct 3, 2011, 02:02 AM

Yes, cuz apple is gonna make the touch superior to the high priced iphone :rolleyes:

we r talking about the phone business here. Nokia, htc & samsung poop out a new phone every few months. I sure as hell expect from a company to come out with a new design idea after 1,5 years ...

"poop out" being the operative part.

Apple makes smartphones to be used two plus years, other companies don't care if you use them for two months.

marksman
Oct 3, 2011, 02:19 AM

Apple is beyond greedy With these turtle stepped upgrades

What does that make the android handset makers who deliver two identical new devices every month?

lantinian
Oct 3, 2011, 02:25 AM

>>They are doing something right if everyone is buying their phone.

Absolutely. They have designed the perfect 1 HAND smarthphone on the planet. There are no other phones in the 3.5pm class that come even close to the iPhone. The only devices that are stealing it's thunder are Galaxy S II like big screen phones.

>>Also I don't know why when Apple has the top selling phone people seem to think they need to keep redesigning it.
Apple has until recently always been the maker of the highest end product. The concern of many people is that Apple competitors have pushed the smartphone envelope to a new height and have made the iPhone look like a mid-range product.

These huge 4+ inch screen devices are impractical for 1 hand use, but if your phone is to be your main computer, they make a lot of sense as you need a bigger device ergonomically for efficien TWO hand use.

Apple so far has declined to introduce a TWO hand smartphone and that is actually costing them market share in an segment where they should have any competitors.

The teardrop iPhone size and proportions suggested that Apple was planning to address that. Guess it will be next year.

It is another question entirely of how the form factor of an efficient two hand touch screen phone should be, but let's just say that nobody has done one so far correctly.

derlockere
Oct 3, 2011, 03:04 AM

I'm with you, tested several Android phones in the last month.

My only advice: Don't mess around with any add-on UI on plain Android and go with the Google phone!!!!

updated a Samsung Galaxy S to 2.2 and afterwards it was not recognized by any PC / MAC anymore via USB. Had to flesh a Cyanogenmod on it to get it in good working order again.

marksman
Oct 3, 2011, 03:56 AM

This has got to be one for the more mysterious Apple events. Two days out, and I'm still not sure what to expect. Every leak seems to point towards an "iPhone 4S" - part leaks, inventory descriptions, iOS/iTunes references, etc.

But a few things still make me believe that a fully redesigned iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it) is coming:
-Right or wrong, people associate external design with functional changes. It would be somewhat lackluster to ride ONE phone model 16 months and then re-use the same design for your next-generation phone.
-The iPhone 4 leaked prematurely. Therefore a lack of "iPhone 5" evidence this time around is not really surprising. It is quite possible that they've simply clamped down HARD on unintentional leaks.
-Apple knows how to manipulate the rumor machine in its favor. It will tamp down expectations if they lead to disappointment (e.g. saying explicitly that there would be no new iPhone at WWDC 2011). If rumors of an iPhone 5 were incorrect, Apple would probably intentionally leak things to control expectations.

Odds of you being disappointed are about 90% right now. Why not embrace the excitement of the most likely truth and then if the very slight chance of a total redesign shows up you will excited.

That way you have a 90% chance of being good w the announcement and 10% over Joyce

With your plan you have a 10% chance of being okay and a 90% chance of being disappointed.

It is pretty clear what path people should take.

roznstyle
Oct 3, 2011, 06:29 AM

Enough with the tapered design. Will not happen! There is zero material evidence to suggest it either. The "case leaks" mean nothing other than some manufacturers are jumping the gun with bad intel.

engg2000
Oct 3, 2011, 08:16 AM
I just looked at the 4 icons in the article that was released for the "Let's Talk iPhone" event and it hit me.
There will only be one phone released at the Apple event at Cupertino happening on the 4th of October at 10:00am... Look at the icons, it tells the story.

No "iPhone 5", definitely not two new iPhones. When does Apple ever do that? There will be the original 4 and the Apple's 4s (listed in itunes beta etc) therefore no iPhone 5.

What's in a name anyway?

People will still buy it just like they bought the 3Gs when it was released. It's going to get the 8mp camera, the faster network, the larger capacity 64GB and all at the same price point (or less).

-They'll dazzle us with the speech capabilities (they have to, Google has done it already for plain english map directions in Android).
-The network speed bump up is a must because networks are already online in the USA & Canada AND the competition has done it already in their Android smartphones.
-The processor will be the A5 so it will be twice as fast, we already know they make it in the iPad.
-The camera going to 8mp is a no brainer. Android has this already.
-Thinner? probably a mm or so but not dramatically a big change.

Like I said, what's in a name?

It's an iPhone 5 without a dramatic shape change called an iPhone 4s.
:apple:
I do believe the specs for the thin & tapered iPhone 5 was for a prototype someone saw (they don't just come up with the shape a few months before obviously). That will be the direction the iPhone 5 will take at next year's release....Mark my words.

ThunderSkunk
Oct 3, 2011, 09:45 AM
After reading this thread, I'm starting to understand why astrology, palm reading, crystal balls, and belief in irrational supernatural junk still persists.

MrGlassATX
Oct 3, 2011, 10:18 AM

First post. I can't believe all the half cocked hair brained schemes some of you are putting together. Occams Razor applies here succinctly. IPhone 4S tomorrow an I'll be ordering one to get away from my Blackberry Curve 8530.

satkin2
Oct 3, 2011, 10:20 AM
The majority of iPhones will be tied to contracts, nearly all of which will be 18/24 months long. Therefore the majority of iPhone 4 owners aren't due an upgrade yet, they will be for the 2012 iPhone though.

Likewise, those due an upgrade in 2011 are owners of 3Gs', so even if the new iPhone maintains the iPhone 4 form factor it will be a significant upgrade for them.

Yes, there will be people who upgrade every itteration of the iPhone, but they aren't the norm. Apple caters to the masses, not just those who want the latest and greatest.

The 3G and 3Gs didn't change form factor, but the 3G will have been bought by manily people who didn't buy the original iPhone, the 3Gs then taken on by original iPhone owners whos contracts come to an end.

Apple will do what they want, even if its a iPhone 4s there will be millions of people who will upgrade. Many more who will be buying an iPhone for the first time too. These will far out weigh those disappointed if an iPhone 5 isn't released. They won't be as noisy as those disappointed, but the masses who are happy will be who matter to Apple.

john01270
Oct 3, 2011, 03:36 PM
Did anyone consider that if they launch an iPhone 4S as well as another iPhone tomorrow then that other iPhone will be an iPhone 6?

@engg2000 Completely agree. They couldn't have made it more clear by the icons. One new iPhone, which would make next years the iPhone 6.

Illumination
Oct 3, 2011, 06:29 PM
The last night of speculation.

THANK GOD

aliensporebomb
Oct 3, 2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah, totally ridiculous.

I get the idea that if the guts of the new 4s was placed in a tapered case everyone would go nuts even if the internals were identical.

Think of the iPhone4 as a Mac Pro chassis: a classic stays a classic and doesn't need to change every year just because you get bored with looking at it. Crack/MTV/ritalin induced attention spans.

It will change eventually but beyond antenna fixes and part upgrades it will largely look similar.

That doesn't mean it will suck, on the contrary but it sure seems like most of the folks here are begging for something different to look at rather than a phone to use.

McGiord
Oct 3, 2011, 06:55 PM
The majority of iPhones will be tied to contracts, nearly all of which will be 18/24 months long. Therefore the majority of iPhone 4 owners aren't due an upgrade yet, they will be for the 2012 iPhone though.

Likewise, those due an upgrade in 2011 are owners of 3Gs', so even if the new iPhone maintains the iPhone 4 form factor it will be a significant upgrade for them.

Yes, there will be people who upgrade every itteration of the iPhone, but they aren't the norm. Apple caters to the masses, not just those who want the latest and greatest.

The 3G and 3Gs didn't change form factor, but the 3G will have been bought by manily people who didn't buy the original iPhone, the 3Gs then taken on by original iPhone owners whos contracts come to an end.

Apple will do what they want, even if its a iPhone 4s there will be millions of people who will upgrade. Many more who will be buying an iPhone for the first time too. These will far out weigh those disappointed if an iPhone 5 isn't released. They won't be as noisy as those disappointed, but the masses who are happy will be who matter to Apple.
If this is the case, why have they delayed the release from June to October?
Doesn't make too much sense to delay a launch for something kind of simple to upgrade.

Illumination
Oct 3, 2011, 09:51 PM
It's possible it was never delayed. I think Apple wanted to:

- Rid the iPhone from WWDC
- Combine the iPhone/iPod events
- Release iOS 5 with the new hardware.

arn
Oct 4, 2011, 05:07 PM

Did I win? :)

arn