LaraA
Oct 2, 2011, 06:20 AM
I have ipad 2 and the 13" , i think the 11 is to close to the 9" iPad 2
So i picked the 13"

But i use the macbook air as my only computer
Depends on what you are going to use it for

Kilamite
Oct 2, 2011, 06:25 AM
13" has better performance. If you don't care about performance, then what's an extra 2 inches to you?

bwhinnen
Oct 2, 2011, 06:35 AM
13" has better performance. If you don't care about performance, then what's an extra 2 inches to you?

Depends which model 11" you get as the ultimate is the same specs on both the 11" and 13"...

I have the 11" (i5/4/128) and my wife has the 13" (ultimate). Using the 11" all the time the 13" feels huge when I pick it up and use it and my old 15" laptop is just massive in comparison. I thought that going from 1680x1050 (on the 15") to 1366x768 would be a massive adjustment, but honestly I don't really notice it in day to day usage.

You really need to try both doing what you'd normally do.

teerexx52
Oct 2, 2011, 08:05 AM
Depends which model 11" you get as the ultimate is the same specs on both the 11" and 13"...

I have the 11" (i5/4/128) and my wife has the 13" (ultimate). Using the 11" all the time the 13" feels huge when I pick it up and use it and my old 15" laptop is just massive in comparison. I thought that going from 1680x1050 (on the 15") to 1366x768 would be a massive adjustment, but honestly I don't really notice it in day to day usage.

You really need to try both doing what you'd normally do.

I have the 15" Hi res Matte and an 11" Air. I would like to go back to one computer but just can't make a decision. The 15" screen has so much real estate but for just browsing and email like I do 95% of the time the 11" is fine. What I find tough to get use to is the platter HD on the Pro 15" So slow compared to the SSD on the 11"

uniforms
Oct 2, 2011, 08:07 AM
I think it depends on your use. Do you plan to keep it in one spot (home or office), or take it around with you where ever you go? That would be the biggest factor in my mind as to wether to get the 11 or 13. I have had both, but finally I have the 11" with all the power! I have the ultimate and it's great. I take it everywhere with me. I have a protective shell "Speck" clear cover and use a sleeve in my briefcase. The battery life is better on the 13", but I love my 11".

Hope that helps you out. My personal vote is the 11".

ipos
Oct 2, 2011, 08:13 AM
I think it depends on your use. Do you plan to keep it in one spot (home or office), or take it around with you where ever you go? That would be the biggest factor in my mind as to wether to get the 11 or 13. I have had both, but finally I have the 11" with all the power! I have the ultimate and it's great. I take it everywhere with me. I have a protective shell "Speck" clear cover and use a sleeve in my briefcase. The battery life is better on the 13", but I love my 11".

Hope that helps you out. My personal vote is the 11".

do u find it taxing over a period of long hrs looking at the monitor?

VMMan
Oct 2, 2011, 09:18 AM
11.6"

Lagmonster
Oct 2, 2011, 09:27 AM
I bought the 13 and got the girlie an 11. Yesterday I was using hers and was like, maybe this 11 isnt that small. Go to the store and play with each.

scarred
Oct 2, 2011, 09:34 AM
For me, it all came down to battery power. 5 to 7 is a lot better then 3 to 5. One is close to "all day computing". The other definitely is not.

With that said, I do wish I had the 11inch.

molala
Oct 2, 2011, 02:36 PM
Really depends on your situation and usage. A year ago I would have gotten the 13", no doubt about it more battery life and an SD port. But now I bring my laptop to work, bike + 1 hour train commute (where I use my laptop too). I also have a 19" monitor at the office that I plug my laptop to. So I went with the 11" because it is significantly smaller to carry.

VMMan
Oct 2, 2011, 02:41 PM
Anandtech found the battery life only about half an hour longer on the 13" vs 11.6" with light usage. I get about 6 hours with light usage. I find the 11.6" too large and wish it were smaller.

JSalig
Oct 2, 2011, 02:45 PM
13" has better performance.

Not really. I've used both and they perform about the same.

lewdvig
Oct 2, 2011, 03:30 PM
I miss the SD card slot, and 900p would be nice.

Mine never gets past 4 hours if I am actually using it.

Not sure if the 13" has this problem, but when plugging in and outputing via TB port it is really hard to get a data stick plugged in because the USB ports are so close the to TB and Magsafe. I have to use a silly dingle cable.

Apple usually catch these things.

----------

Really depends on your situation and usage. A year ago I would have gotten the 13", no doubt about it more battery life and an SD port. But now I bring my laptop to work, bike + 1 hour train commute (where I use my laptop too). I also have a 19" monitor at the office that I plug my laptop to. So I went with the 11" because it is significantly smaller to carry.

Yeah, my MBA and LCD projector fit in the bag that previously barely held my 15" MBP. Feels like the same weight too.

GekkePrutser
Oct 2, 2011, 04:46 PM
I returned the 11" a few weeks ago. I found it just too small to do serious work on, and for just surfing around I prefer the iPad. It just felt like working while looking through a toilet roll, especially in stuff like Xcode.

Also I found the DPI too high, it was a little too uncomfortable. It's about the same DPI as the iPad but the way you hold that in general it's much closer to the eyes (and the GUI is bigger). Of course the 13" is also high DPI but not quite as much.

I do travel a lot but I'd always have it in a case so the size doesn't matter, and the 250 grams extra won't really bother me either. But it will be nicer to work on (I don't find my current MacBook too small). So I will go for the 13" instead.

Pipper99
Oct 2, 2011, 05:48 PM
Which do people think is best as It it is hard to choose

Thanks
Ian

It's evenly split, 50/50. Hope that helps. :)

Matthew9559
Oct 2, 2011, 06:12 PM
Both are great, personally I would get the 13".

KylePowers
Oct 2, 2011, 06:41 PM
Sold my iPad 2 to get an 11". Decided on the 11" for two reasons mainly: Cheaper than the 13in and I already had a 27" iMac at home.

I really like how light and small it is, but I do, indeed, wish the screen was larger. Sometimes my neck hurts because I'm bending my head forward to get closer to the screen. And when I'm laying in bed, I usually bring the keyboard all the way up to my chin. And it's not like I'm blind, I have 20/20 vision and don't wear glasses.

I have written papers on it (or at least portions of them) and it's somewhat of a struggle if you have a reference article/site next to it (so that two windows are side by side). It's not impossible though. I tend to rely a lot more on my iMac for multi-program computing sessions, however.

Might shoot for the 13" around Christmas and give the 11" to my mother. Or maybe next year when the new MBA comes out. Who knows.

VMMan
Oct 2, 2011, 07:10 PM
@OP,

I also recommend you drink Coca Cola instead of Pepsi.

stark4
Oct 2, 2011, 07:47 PM
get 13" its normal size for everyday use. 11" is too small for me. I came from 15" MBP to 13" MBA

Bye Bye Baby
Oct 4, 2011, 03:38 PM
I love my 11 inch air.

But it is one of a number of macs I need. It would never really work as a main computer.