Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
But they dont close the 100 other pointless threads. Im not making a point they closed it for content, im making a point that they closed it yet they will let a 100 posts about an iphone 5 go everyday.

Really? 100 threads on the iPhone 5? If you reported them I bet they would be closed or merged as well. There are several iPhone 5 threads in the Wasteland already.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Check every section on the forum, at least 20 repeats a day.
So report them, rather than complain here every time a thread is closed. Seriously, posting threads complaining about specific moderation actions is not the way to deal with this. Besides, it wasn't your thread, so relax.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
So report them, rather than complain here every time a thread is closed. Seriously, posting threads complaining about specific moderation actions is not the way to deal with this. Besides, it wasn't your thread, so relax.

If nothing is said, nothing is done. This section is for feedback, which I am providing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If nothing is said, nothing is done. This section is for feedback, which I am providing.
It was a redundant thread. It was closed, which was appropriate. Because they haven't closed all redundant threads doesn't mean they shouldn't close any. They can't see all threads, and depend on users to report them. There's no need for starting a thread for feedback. The only required feedback is reporting posts/threads that you think should be reported and leave it to the moderators to take action that they determine is necessary.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
so you created a pointless thread to complain about another pointless thread... how useful...:rolleyes:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Why close them if they don't violate any of the rules. Or are they?

Isn't it better to merge them into the right thread then?

If I discussed something a week ago, why couldn't I continue discussing it today with other MR members that maybe where not online in the past?

Time to open a chat room?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Stop de-railing my thread so it can stay open and appropriate feedback can be given to the moderators, if you not a moderator then I do not care about your opinion as this thread is not for you.

I am a retired moderator.

Reporting threads is THE most IMPORTANT thing you can do to help stop the useless threads.

Feedback is good. But like I said. Please report the thread.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
If you have a question or comment about a specific issue of moderation, such as a thread closing, the appropriate channel is to use the Contact Us link found at the bottom of every page.

Moderators are not everywhere, all of the time and cannot see every duplicate thread, trolling thread, or so-called useless threads. They rely on post reports by other users and each report is reviewed. If a Moderator sees a thread without a report and feels it warrants, closing, deleting or wastelanding, they can certainly take that action. As a result, threads are not always seen or dealt with according to every user's wishes or criteria.

It is helpful when the community participates by calling attention to such threads for action. Some threads may begin as duplicate issues and take a life on their own which makes merging or deleting more debatable, and not such a cut and dry issue. Threads caught in the earlier stages are much more likely to be closed or merged.

High traffic times before a product release always create high volumes of new users, duplicate threads and more of a desire for a user's individual voice to be heard and not be buried in a thread with hundreds of responses already. There is a delicate balance to maintain between keeping the Forums uncluttered and allowing freedom of expression. Not everyone will be happy with the results. Some will want all threads left alone. Others will want more threads closed. The Moderator Team tries to strike a balance that encourages participation but does not overwhelm the Forums.

Your feedback is appreciated and welcomed and will be no doubt taken into consideration.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Either be consistent or dont do it.

There are over 10,000 posts posted everyday, which means it's impossible for us to read through all of them. Hence we rely mainly on post reports. One of the most common complaints we get is that moderation is inconsistent. It's not. The same rules and policies apply to every user, thread and post. What is true is that we can't read all posts, so sometimes it may feel like moderation is hit&run style.

What you need to do is to report posts. It's not fair to complain about threars or posts that we may not have even seen.

Why close them if they don't violate any of the rules. Or are they?

It's kind of a non-written policy that we close redundant future product threads. You don't need to start a new thread for your opinion as we all have our 2 cents anyway. Unless the thread adds something new to the discussion, there isn't a need to keep it alive.

Isn't it better to merge them into the right thread then?

There isn't any iPhone 5 sticky or megathread so it's harder to merge.

If I discussed something a week ago, why couldn't I continue discussing it today with other MR members that maybe where not online in the past?

Why not use the same thread for that? No need to create a new one.

Time to open a chat room?

There is MacRumors IRC channel for chatting. The forums have and will never be meant for chatting. Discussion is of course allowed, but when it gets to the "LOL" etc chatting, it's no longer within the rules.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I think the thread they closed was so pointless ... it was not even worth merging with any of the other hundreds of threads about iPhone screen size.

The thread and the few comments were just that ... comments that could have been replies to one of the other hundreds of threads about iPhone screen size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.