Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
I am thinking of getting the Mac Mini Server and would like to know if it is fairly simple to replace one of the two internal drives with a SSD. I've seen the OWC installation video when one is replacing both HDs, and also the video on replacing the single HD in the mid-level Mac Mini (which looks quite simple and something I would be confident doing, as opposed to the real tear down involved in replacing both HDs in the server). Is it pretty much similar if I am just replacing the one HD closest to the RAM..that is the bottom of the Mini?
I would be using the SSD for OS and the other disk for storage.
Also, can I run the OS from this bottom SSD or does the firmware require that the OS be run from the top HD?
Thanks

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Very easy. Running two 2011 Mac Mini Servers with 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 MIs as boot drives with 750GB WD Scorpio Blacks as data drives.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
You can choose either disk to be your boot drive. It's your choice.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
You may be able to do the swap by only removing the bottom drive. It will take a spludger to remove the tape connecting the SATA cable and a little jiggling. However, I recommend a full tear down to ensure the SATA cables are connected and seated.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
I have done this too - a Crucial M4 256GB (fw 009). It was *quite* easy to do but the Mini is a tricker to work with than a MBP. I just replaced the top drive (which was the boot drive) and then did a Internet restore. Note - make sure you have a USB keyboard handy... I did not and had to buy a £5 windows keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.