Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I own a 2009 Macbook, 2.26 with 4 GB of Ram. Disc drive is only about 3/4 full.
I have been having many more 'beach ball moments' lately. I did have to reboot off my install disc once and restore off my external backup hard drive.
Repair permissions has been done multiple times, and I have done repair disc has well.
I also downloaded the SMART utility and ran it, came up with these results:
Screen shot 2011-10-02 at 3.08.01 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-10-02 at 12.22.29 PM.png

Obviously my HD is having some issues. And, when using my external HD has the startup, it seems to be running faster.

So, my question is, would reformatting my internal drive fix these errors, or is the only solution to replace it? I do have Applecare for the next 8 months, but would also like to install a larger HD if I have to replace it anyway.
Thanks in advance for the help.

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
I own a 2009 Macbook, 2.26 with 4 GB of Ram. Disc drive is only about 3/4 full.
I have been having many more 'beach ball moments' lately. I did have to reboot off my install disc once and restore off my external backup hard drive.
Repair permissions has been done multiple times, and I have done repair disc has well.
I also downloaded the SMART utility and ran it, came up with these results:
View attachment 304399

View attachment 304400

Obviously my HD is having some issues. And, when using my external HD has the startup, it seems to be running faster.

So, my question is, would reformatting my internal drive fix these errors, or is the only solution to replace it? I do have Applecare for the next 8 months, but would also like to install a larger HD if I have to replace it anyway.
Thanks in advance for the help.

You should get a new drive.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
If the SMART status shows failing you need to replace it ASAP, since it's still under AppleCare take it into a store. They'll most likely replace it with whatever size HDD you have now, but it'll be free.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
That is pretty much what I was thinking as well. I had not tried reformatting yet and knew that even if I did, that it would only be a temporary measure and failure was still staring me in the face. Time to make the journey to the Apple store I reckon.

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
good thing i saw this. seemed like mine slowed down and downloaded the demo for the SMART utility and mine passed. im guessing the demo sucks though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.