Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolutmp5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
well after many nights of waiting and refreshing the fed ex tracking webpage for my g5 every five seconds, my powermac has finally arrived. I was awoken by a large knocking at my door by a disgruntled fed ex employee who had to deliver the monstrously huge g5 box to my door. After grabbing the electronic signer and signing my name without surcombing to all the drool that was gathering in my mouth i was able to bring the g5 in my house. My dad gave me looks as to why a computer box was this massive. More details as the opening process begins!

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Congrats on the new Mac! I had the same reaction as your father when I saw the box for the first time, too. :D

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Cooooooool!!!!!

I'm still waiting for my dual 2.7 and can't even sleep! Should be here by Thursday though. :rolleyes:

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
I remember being sort of upset at how small my powerbook box was. I know apple wins awards and such for the design of their packaging, but, I wanted a box as big as my car.

just so I could play in it.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Whoa...a G5 2.7 Ghz!!! What kind of monitor did you get (or have)?

Please post pics and let us know how it goes. Tempting to get one, but will just use it for word, games, excel, and internet.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Congratulations on your new Power Mac G5 dual 2.7. That is one awesome machine absolutmp5. ;) I'm also looking forward to pictures and you review on its performance. Did you purchase this Mac own your own?

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
I'm envious. Mine's still showing as "ship on or before 4-May" on the apple.com order tracker. :)

To torment me even further, my AppleCare kit arrived today, and the 30" Cinema Display will arrive tomorrow. I'll be surrounded by reminders and I'll get to look at the display for *days* with nothing to plug it into.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Nugget said:
I'm envious. Mine's still showing as "ship on or before 4-May" on the apple.com order tracker. :)

To torment me even further, my AppleCare kit arrived today, and the 30" Cinema Display will arrive tomorrow. I'll be surrounded by reminders and I'll get to look at the display for *days* with nothing to plug it into.

Shipping on or before May 4th.

Monitor coming May 3rd.

Plus, you are UPSET that your DUAL 2.7 G5 :eek: and your 30" CINEMA DISPLAY :eek: :eek: are coming at different times??? You gave Apple a nice $6,000 if you didnt change anything in the G5... and if you did... :eek: :eek: :eek:

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
I'm staring at my 20" cinema display with nothing to hook it up to now. I got my screen the day they shipped it, i think i'll get my dual 2.0 rather quickly wants they ship it they're saying on or before 5-04-05, hopefully it's from the same facility as the screen was at. Hope to see i nice boost from my g3 800mhz ibook. :p

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    14.5 KB · Views: 408

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Hhahah you mac people go crazy about the simplest things I love it.

I am heavly debating ditching PC's all togehter for mac's. I have my iBook and love it, but dont know if I should go all out and get a powermac... sigh.

Please post pics and stuff when you are able.

andrewh

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
San Francisco
speaking of big boxes

I picked up a new G5 and 30" display on the weekend. The box for the 30" cinema is just massive. I think I got some funny looks walking through the mall with on my way to the car.

Just unpacking that system and setting it up was fun, let alone using it. Apple's packaging and design is first class.

woodsie

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
waiting here too...

i've got a dual 2ghz and 20" monitor coming. can't wait!!!! :) :) :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Nugget said:

Congratulations on your purchase of a 2.7 Power Mac Nugget. ;) Your dilemma is why it's best to have to entire order sent when ready. That way they don't have your money on equipment that you can't use. Or having items sitting around that are unusable.

absolutmp5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
well heres the scoop. I was saving pretty much for a year now on any news of an update to the pm line. College funds are very hard to come by as it is and saving for a computer of this much expense isn't easy either. Well after booting up and brining this monster upstair (lots of huffing and puffing) i started to unload the packaging. First i received a keyboard and laser mouse apple branded of course. Then there was the powercord, all that boring stuff. Then i started the machine up. I wasn't sure what to expect really cause of my experience was previosly with a 1ghz titaniun powerbook. But boy can i say that i am happy. I will eventually post pics. The config for this 2.7 is the standard one at the apple store. If anyone can tell me what i can do to inform others of whether to purchase this machine or not pleese do tell. thanks and il be posting those pics quite soon.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
outstanding! congrats!

One thing I would suggest is more RAM... with so much processing power, you don't want to limit yourself with just 512 RAM or the machine won't really shine like it should. Even 512 or 1 GB more would make a REALLY big difference and is only a drop in the bucket in terms of cost when compared to the computer itself!

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Nugget said:

Ooooohhhh, you are sooo poor, you'll have to wait a couple of days until you can plug your 30" display into your 2,7 G5. I'm really sorry, that must suck soo much!

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
chaosbunny said:
Ooooohhhh, you are sooo poor, you'll have to wait a couple of days until you can plug your 30" display into your 2,7 G5. I'm really sorry, that must suck soo much!

Sarcasm alert ... Sarcasm alert.

I agree; you lucky rastard.

:D :D

absolutmp5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
in terms of speed the machine is great. When using the application handbrake to back up my own dvd of resident evil it would take around 30 minutes. The speed is phenomenal. For ram though would cpu intensive programs get a big boost in performace?

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
absolutmp5 said:
well after many nights of waiting and refreshing the fed ex tracking webpage for my g5 every five seconds, my powermac has finally arrived.

Congrats! I am still waiting on my new Mac. This is my first. I ordered the dual 2.0 GHz system and used the extra money to get the 20" Cinema display to go with it.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
I'm jealous! I ordered my 2.3 on the day they were announced, opted for the next video card up (Radeon 6500 or whatever it is called) and it still hs yet to say anything other than "sent to manufacturing".

I've been waiting impatiently for 10 months. How long does it take to swap out a video card?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.