Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
So it appears that iTunes Match does not automatically replace old low-bitrate files in your library with fresh 256kbps matched files, but it does send those files to other computers or devices you sync to it.

So my question is, is there any simple way to update your original iTunes library with the matched files? It seems like one could download all the new files to a new computer, but then I can't think of any way to replace the old files in the original computer's library that isn't extremely labor intensive (aside from tearing down the library and starting from scratch), while preserving the old star ratings, play counts, etc.

Sparky2501

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Also, Does anyone know if upgraded songs will retain the original meta data? It would be nice to see upgraded audio files preserve their original date added information. I love skimming through my personal 'timeline' of music chronologically. I would be bummed to see my data lost.

madmod20061

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
The only way to do this seems to be just to delete and re-download through the cloud icon in itunes. Since it's a beta still, I would be cautious at doing that though. I spent a good chunk of the weekend replacing songs on my library, but I made sure I had a back up on an external drive. I only had a few problems, but having the backup made it easily fixable.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Also, Does anyone know if upgraded songs will retain the original meta data? It would be nice to see upgraded audio files preserve their original date added information. I love skimming through my personal 'timeline' of music chronologically. I would be bummed to see my data lost.

Yes, but not lyrics if you have those added. Everything else stays the same as far as I can tell. Even if the matched songs are pulled from other albums because your album doesn't exist in itunes, the tag info, album, etc stay the same in your library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.