Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CardboardGiant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Growl 1.3 is out on the Mac App Store (released today), but it doesn't seem to work at all on my 2011 MBA 13'' running Lion.

I can't seem to add any applications to the list. The configure button is blanked out.

Right after I installed it, when I change a track on iTunes it doesn't show any notifications. Nor when I get an email on Sparrow... etc.

Also the app that was once free is now 1.99.

*edit*

I just checked the Mac App Store on my Purchase list to write a review.. and the app Growl doesn't show up. Something is very weird.

Okay it seems adding apps on Growl 1.3 is automatic. No way of adding manually.

So far the only app that is in my growl app list is Adium. No itunes, Sparrow, Reeder or anything else. Just Adium.

I want my 1.99 back :(

Last edited:

steve96815

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
It seems to take a while for applications to register and show up in the list. Mine now shows Twitter, Sparrow and Adium. Notifications don't seem to work for either though. Will have to play around a bit more with it, see if I can get it to work.

It doesn't show up under my Purchases either, and you cannot even find it in the App Store by searching. You only get to it by direct link. Looks like it hasn't "fully arrived" in the App Store yet.

CardboardGiant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
It seems to take a while for applications to register and show up in the list. Mine now shows Twitter, Sparrow and Adium. Notifications don't seem to work for either though. Will have to play around a bit more with it, see if I can get it to work.

It doesn't show up under my Purchases either, and you cannot even find it in the App Store by searching. You only get to it by direct link. Looks like it hasn't "fully arrived" in the App Store yet.

Interesting. I am using Sparrow but it's not appearing in my Growl app list. Just Adium.

I already sent a review to the mac app store Growl page, hopefully I'll know what's wrong soon.

CardboardGiant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Okay I managed to get it working.

This is what I did.

1. Uninstall Growl 1.3

2. Install Growl 1.2.2

3. Install following Extras: Growltunes, Growlsafari... etc (All of them included in the Growl Installation Disk Image)

4. Uninstall Growl 1.2.2

5. Install Growl 1.3 from the Mac App Store

6. Restart MBA

7. Open all the apps on my dock as usual

DONE. Apps are now 100% registered and functional with Growl 1.3

It seems to get it to work with iTunes you NEED Growltunes, which was not included with Growl 1.3 when I first installed it.

In other words, Growl 1.3 is made for previous users of Growl 1.2.2. If you have never installed Growl before (ALL 2011 MBA Models), you'll be very very confused like I was.

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
(Never used Growl prior 1.3 as I'm a new MAC user)
I think that since Growl updated a bunch of stuff in 1.3, some apps may need an update to work correctly with this new Growl version. A good example is Sparrow. It wasn't working OK with Growl until 2 days ago when Sparrow got updated (There was a mention in the update notes about improved Growl compatibility or something like that). Now, Sparrow works good with Growl.

scenemissing

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
So many people having problems with 1.3 on the app store, so I think I'll stick with 1.2x for now. So strange that they did not test it properly, since it is changing to a paid release.

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Tried the steps above and Growl 1.3 still is not working properly. I see apps registered, but no notifications at all. Maybe I'll drop back down to the previous release.

Edit...yeah 1.2.2 works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.