PDA

View Full Version : My son could use a new laptop for middle school...

Ivabign
Oct 3, 2011, 06:23 PM
...and Apple has the refurb 2010 1.4GHz 11" with 2GB and 64GB for $699 with a year warranty.

He will use it to keep track of classwork and do some word processing and maybe do a little photo work.

He has a Windows gaming PC, so there is not a need for graphics...

I was thinking ipad - but Jeez - this seems like a great deal.

Am I right?

----------

It is gone now but will be back again - I have been tracking it - it is there for a few days - gets sold out - then comes back

orfeas0
Oct 3, 2011, 06:25 PM
Well if he's satisfied with his windows pc for gaming and hard tasks, the model you listed will be perfect for him.
Oh and don't expect any productive word processing in the iPad...

Airforcekid
Oct 3, 2011, 06:48 PM
My sister bought that laptop for $699 only complaint is that it runs out of ram but overall good buy over the iPad. Make sure to get the lion update hers shipped with 10.6.1.

KPOM
Oct 3, 2011, 06:48 PM
Technologically, it would be perfectly fine and a lot better than an iPad for actual content creation. Given the physical rigors of middle school usage, I'd recommend a keyboard cover (Moshi and Rearth make good ones) and a snap on case (or a sleeve if he's responsible enough to put it inside). The MacBook Air is perfectly fine for use by adults, but the old polycarb MacBooks were a little bit stronger in that regard (the aluminum can dent easily).

nebulos
Oct 3, 2011, 06:50 PM
ipad is cute, but not good for work; you either type on a virtual keyboard or bring a bluetooth keyboard. both are awkward solutions, in my opinion.

i'm assuming you've asked your son what he wants; my friend wanted to buy an ipad for his mom, but she didn't even know what it was, and i'm almost certain she would have been disappointed with it.

maybe your son would rather have ONE computer, that can do both schoolwork and personal stuff, in which case you could look at some PC laptops with better graphics.

does he want the air? ... (or do you want the air?)

the 11 MBA is not fantastic for photo work, especially the 2010, though it can get the job done.

it's a good deal if you are certain you will never demand much of that computer. if that means you need a second computer for certain tasks, well, then balancing the equation is more complicated.

calvol
Oct 3, 2011, 07:11 PM
I would go with an EEE PC for a Middleschooler...

stark4
Oct 3, 2011, 10:23 PM
You can't really type on iPad and iPad = games. Get MBA for him if you actually want him to do HW on it. He must be a 1 lucky kid to use MAC at middle school.

VMMan
Oct 3, 2011, 11:22 PM
How much do you love your kid? j/k

Will he need to run Windows on the laptop for school? Although he has a Windows PC for gaming, he'll probably want to play games on the laptop.

It might be cheaper to just get him a cheap Windows laptop.

kulimer
Oct 3, 2011, 11:25 PM
You can't really type on iPad and iPad = games. Get MBA for him if you actually want him to do HW on it. He must be a 1 lucky kid to use MAC at middle school.

What's your experience of ipad like? I don't wanna ask on the ipad forum, everyone is just gonna say "it's great, go get it".

ECUpirate44
Oct 3, 2011, 11:27 PM
What's your experience of ipad like? I don't wanna ask on the ipad forum, everyone is just gonna say "it's great, go get it".

The iPad is still a toy and a laptop is still a necessity for serious work.

stark4
Oct 4, 2011, 12:02 AM

iPad is useful if you want to check something quick online. but other than that it's a big iPhone. Good for gaming if you play games. but for me it's a big waste of money. It's collecting dust right now.. i need to sell it quick.

Abazigal
Oct 4, 2011, 07:34 AM

Ever tried editing a word document on your phone?

It can be done, but is a pain in the rear.

Similar to the ipad. And if you want to buy a keyboard, may as well get a MBA, or go with another model like the asus slider (which is a tablet with an inbuilt sliding keyboard).

CyrusKafaiWu
Oct 5, 2011, 02:36 PM
MBA would be great gift for your son. I am in high school (yes, I'm quite young). I have a 2011 macbook air and its pleasing. I don't see why he wouldn't be happy carrying around a macbook air other than for gaming in class (which you probably wouldn't want him to do).

Brandon0448
Oct 5, 2011, 06:30 PM
Why would a middle schooler need a laptop to bring to school? I had a laptop when I was in high school but never even considered bringing it to school, there is just nothing you need it for. I can't imagine a middle schooler needing a laptop for anything school related. The only thing it would get used for is games. College is the only time a personal laptop becomes a necessity, and even then you can get by without one.

Obese Lobsters
Oct 5, 2011, 08:49 PM
Why would a middle schooler need a laptop to bring to school? I had a laptop when I was in high school but never even considered bringing it to school, there is just nothing you need it for. I can't imagine a middle schooler needing a laptop for anything school related. The only thing it would get used for is games. College is the only time a personal laptop becomes a necessity, and even then you can get by without one.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of giving laptops to kids in high school. If he needs a mac I would get a mac mini. It may be a little more expensive, but anything he does you'll be able to easily monitor

Abazigal
Oct 5, 2011, 09:03 PM

You would be surprised. In my school, children from as young as 10 years old buy their own laptops (or rather, their parents buy for them) to bring to school and use during daily lessons. :)

Biscotti
Oct 5, 2011, 09:26 PM
My laptop would have been taken away in elementary school, middle school, and high school. I barely took it to class in college. Pen and paper FTW.

3dflyboy1
Oct 5, 2011, 09:30 PM
pen and paper ftw.

+1 ;)