Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edvardta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2005
This has probably been discussed several times before, but didn't really find anything of help

I have a three year old pc that can be classified as a pretty large 15'' laptop.

I've decided with 99 % certainty that i'm getting a powebook and doing the switch to mac. That's not my problem.

I have started taking my laptop with me more often and therefore thought the 12'' would be best, but am afraid that it might be too small to sit at home and work with. If i buy a seperate monitor and then maybe an wireless keyboard and mouse the pricediffernce up to the 15'' powerbook isn't that big.
Should i therefore go for the 15'' ? am used to that now, and think it works fine.

Anyone here have 15'' who carries it around a lot who can give me some user opinions?

what to do, what to do....

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
*dirty thoughts*

I Have a 12" iBook, and let me assure you, unless you have massive video, graphic editing or image stuff while on the go, go small. Lugging a big(ger) laptop is a pain.

If you need a bigger screen, you'll have to decide.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I have the 15" and I love it--but I do often wish I had a 12" + external display instead. The 12" is ULTRA portable! And your external screen can be bigger than 15", so you win both ways.

BUT.... if you plan to do a lot of work away from your desktop screen, be aware that the 12" screen is considerably less bright than the 15" screen. And the pixels and fonts are tinier. (And of course, less resolution/screen space.) So working any length of time on a 15" vs. a 12" is a big step up in my view.

I'd still consider the 12"... it all depends on how much you'd use the 12" screen vs. the desktop screen.

And check out both screens at a store. (But remember that brightly lit stores make all screens seem dim.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.