PDA

View Full Version : Do you own Both MBA and MBP?

stark4
Oct 3, 2011, 10:41 PM
I have 2008 15" MBP and upgraded to 2011 13" MBA two weeks ago because of it's potability and i need to take it to school everyday.

before i bought MBA i told myself that after i bought my MBA i'll sell the 15" MBP and get some money back but now i'm having second thoughts. I really like the 15" MBP screen. I been using 13" MBA since i got it and it's fine for me tho.

So my question is should i keep the MBP or should i sell it? For those who upgraded from MBP to MBA do you guys still keep both laptops?

Thanks.

CardboardGiant
Oct 3, 2011, 10:49 PM
I sold my MBP and bought the Air.

NO REGRETS.

joec1101
Oct 3, 2011, 11:09 PM
I have a 2010 MBP 15" and just recently purchased a 13" MBA.

I haven't even touched my MBP since. I'm really loving the smaller screen and lighter weight. The MBA doesn't ever seem to get hot either like the MBP does.

I guess it's time for me to probably sell the MBP :(

kulimer
Oct 3, 2011, 11:10 PM
It's your WANT vs your NEED.
Just ask yourself, do I want both or do I need both? I'd like to have both also. ;)

@OP: did you mean "want" instead of "won" in the title?

VMMan
Oct 3, 2011, 11:15 PM
I have a 2011 MBP 17" and the 2011 MBA 11".

I find myself using the MBA 11" about 90% of the time now, but I can't force myself to sell the MBP 17". The MBP 17" is a truly great machine, a complete beast.

I will still probably end up upgrading both the MBA 11" and the MBP 17" with next year's models, unless they make an MBA 17". In the latter case, I will probably opt for MBA 11" and MBA 17" models.

Thomas Davie
Oct 4, 2011, 07:21 AM
I have a 2009 MBP17 (running Lion) and a 2011 NBA13. I've got no intentions of selling the MBP; it will be used for FaceTime when people are housesitting for me. ripping DVD's, playing games. It's very good backup, so I'll keep it and keep using it.

Tom

calvol
Oct 4, 2011, 09:06 AM
Have a 2010 13 MBA, and will probably buy a 2010 15 MBP when they come out next year, and use it for a desktop with the 27" ATD.

Macman45
Oct 4, 2011, 09:10 AM
Just an Air,but given my total addiction to :apple: I may well buy one of the newbies.

sputn1k
Oct 4, 2011, 09:53 AM
I agree with your post, OP, i do prefer the ability to drink my macbook air.

riverwater
Oct 4, 2011, 10:10 AM
I have 2010 MBP 15' and a new 2011 MBA 13'. I won't sell my MBP since I won't get more than 50% that I paid a year ago. Instead I let my 9 year old daughter use it. She loves it and very happy.

stark4
Oct 4, 2011, 10:12 AM
@OP: did you mean "want" instead of "won" in the title?

i meant own.. sorry.. fixed it

nipponfan
Oct 4, 2011, 10:32 AM
I was in the same situation. If you can afford it, keep the MBP. If you're a poor student like me, sell it ;)

MJedi
Oct 4, 2011, 10:39 AM
I have a 15-inch MBP from 2007, and when I got the 2010 MBA (thinking it would be a secondary and travel Mac) I used the MBA more, even at home. When the 2011 MBA came out, I decided to replace the MBP with a 13-inch MBA. I have not regretted it. I still have the MBP, but probably will keep it around just in case.

Does your MBP have the hi-res matte screen? If not, you should know that the 13-inch MBA and 15-inch MBP (stock screen) both have the same screen resolution. So unless you upgraded your screen when you ordered it, I don't know what you mean by liking the MBP screen better. Or is it the actual physical size?

VMMan
Oct 4, 2011, 10:45 AM
Not sure about the OP's MBP, but my 2011 MBP's screen is phenomenal, while my 2011 MBA screen is just acceptable.

madoka
Oct 4, 2011, 02:10 PM
I've got two MBP 17s, two MBA 13s, a MBP 15 and a MBA 11. I use the 17s for work and use the MBAs for surfing while in bed. I also have four 64gb ipads and four 32gb touchpads. That way I could rotate through them and not worry about battery life. If you can afford it, I'd keep them all as they serve different purposes.

ecib
Oct 4, 2011, 02:27 PM
I have both (well technically I have a MBA and the MBP I bought for my girlfriend).

Personally, I can't think of a reason you'd need both, except maybe you want the MBP so you can do optical drive sharing with your MBA maybe? Or perhaps you need a slightly bigger 15" screen for certain work you do? I dunno. I'd look up how much you can get for your MBP and just sell it if you can get a decent price, maybe put that money towards a sweet monitor that you can plug out to while at home, or some airplay speakers or something :)

IngerMan
Oct 4, 2011, 05:02 PM
I own the MBA 11". I can see myself getting a 15" or 17" MBP to replace my 2007 iMac in a year or 2. I will keep both. I want all 3 :D

Risasi
Oct 5, 2011, 02:00 PM
I have a 2011 13" MBP, and a 2011 13" MBA, which my wife has already commandeered. This next year I intend to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge Macbook. Whether Pro or Air I do not know. And most likely it will be a 13", but I'll wait and see how it plays out.
I can see them dropping the whole "Air vs Pro" debate. It wouldn't surprise me if there are only four base models next year, 11", 13", 15" and 17". All MBA like, perhaps keeping the optical drive in only the 17".

KohPhiPhi
Oct 6, 2011, 10:03 AM
Considering how reasonably powerful MBAs are now a days, and considering 95% of the people could perfectly use them as their sole working machine, I don't see the reason to keep a MBP if you buy a MBA.

Kafka
Oct 6, 2011, 10:31 AM
Well you actually own both yourself so it's really up to you.

I know I returned my MBA13 and kept my MBP13 because of the screen and lack of upgradability.

tommyellison
Oct 6, 2011, 12:00 PM
I have 2008 15" MBP and upgraded to 2011 13" MBA two weeks ago because of it's potability and i need to take it to school everyday.

before i bought MBA i told myself that after i bought my MBA i'll sell the 15" MBP and get some money back but now i'm having second thoughts. I really like the 15" MBP screen. I been using 13" MBA since i got it and it's fine for me tho.

So my question is should i keep the MBP or should i sell it? For those who upgraded from MBP to MBA do you guys still keep both laptops?

Thanks.

I recently bought the Air and leave my MPB hooked up to my large monitor for a two-screen desktop setup.

I keep all my docs in my Dropbox folder to keep sync'd between the two computers.

Cheers!

dubels
Oct 6, 2011, 12:34 PM
Have my 2010 MBP 15 and 2011 MBA 13. I am considering getting rid of my MBP but there are situations where I still use it: editing photos (hd anti-glare screen and better processor and graphics), games (SC2, portal 2 and simulators), and video editing.

The better processor, 8gb of ram, and the discrete graphics are great pluses. But I don't miss the big screen of the 15 any more. I went from a MB to a MBP then back to a 13 inch screen in the MBA. I got the MBA because my law school books were taking a toll on my back and I couldn't fit everything in one bag. O yeah the Amazon deal was too good to pass up.

If I do get rid of my MBP 15 I would sell it for an iMac. But right now for some reason I am stuck on the idea that I would have a need to take the power of the MBP on the go with me some time in the future. But right now my MBP sits at my desk and I sync my files via MobileMe and DropBox between the two. I do use my MBP over my MBA at my desk when I am typing a long paper at my desk.

onthecouchagain
Oct 6, 2011, 01:26 PM
Just a 13" Air.