Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
For stereo in living room, I think I'd love a small device, with wifi streaming capability to hook into my receiver and floor standing speakers.

Control via phone/pad.

Pandora and iTunes streaming. No TV.

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
Yes, it can be used in this way. While I have mine hooked up to the TV and my stereo receiver, I often use it without the TV to stream music from my iPhone.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Airport Express do the same thing? Although at the same price for a new unit, it's nice to be able to plug into the TV at some point.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Plus, ATV out of the box cannot stream Pandora.

Au contraire!

If you have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch you can use Airplay to stream the audio to the ATV. With Pandora active, double-tap the "Home" button, and scroll to the left to reveal the AirPlay icon (the one with the "up" arrow) and select the appropriate AppleTV.

The audio comes through great, however there is no artist or song title, nor is album art displayed on the TV screen. (Presumably you can get this info from the handheld device you are holding.)

As far as the original question ("Can you run an AppleTV without a display?") I'd double check first. I just tried turning the TV off, while leaving the A/V receiver and AppleTV on - and got nothing. It may be that the AppleTV needs a signal from the HDMI connection that it is attached to a powered-on TV.

I'd experiment further, but having recently spent many, many hours getting all my connections just so, I'm hesitant to start playing around with cables.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Au contraire!

If you have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch

…right. Which is why mstrze specifically posted "ATV out of the box cannot stream Pandora."

(emphasis mine)

As far as the original question ("Can you run an AppleTV without a display?") I'd double check first. I just tried turning the TV off, while leaving the A/V receiver and AppleTV on - and got nothing. It may be that the AppleTV needs a signal from the HDMI connection that it is attached to a powered-on TV.

I'd experiment further, but having recently spent many, many hours getting all my connections just so, I'm hesitant to start playing around with cables.

I AirPlay audio to the AppleTV in my living room A/V receiver (it's wired to speakers all around my house) and it works just fine with the connected TV turned off.

I also use this adapter to convert it's digital audio (TOSlink) output to L/R stereo audio.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
For stereo in living room, I think I'd love a small device, with wifi streaming capability to hook into my receiver and floor standing speakers.

Control via phone/pad.

Pandora and iTunes streaming. No TV.

I do this exact thing with my old Gen1 ATV. Never tried Pandora, but I stream iTunes to the living room all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.