PDA

View Full Version : Flash 11 and the MacBook Air 2011

Cynicalone
Oct 4, 2011, 09:48 AM
This morning I installed the latest version of Flash on my 2011 MBA i7. After about an hour of testing flash videos on Youtube my CPU temps have stayed below 70 C and the fans have never went above 2000 RPM. I tested 720P and 1080P videos, everything seems to work very well.

I'm very impressed with what Adobe has been able to do with Flash. I'm usually rather negative on Flash, but this update is definitely a step in the right direction for Adobe.

Here is a link to the update...

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Risasi
Oct 4, 2011, 09:53 AM
That's good to hear. I just pushed an install to one guy on one of my networks I manage. I'm using him as a guineapig on Windows before pushing to everyone else.

That's Franken-STEEN to you!

Undone11091
Oct 4, 2011, 10:13 AM
wont let me update flash. it says that chrome will do it automatically. even though i know i don't have 11

Cynicalone
Oct 4, 2011, 10:48 AM
wont let me update flash. it says that chrome will do it automatically. even though i know i don't have 11

Chrome uses Googles own version of built in Flash. So you'll have to wait on Google.

steve96815
Oct 4, 2011, 10:56 AM
That update also did wonders for me on my MBA i7. Temps stay well below 70 C now. In fact, with the exception of Safari, HTML5 in Firefox or Chrome heats my CPU up way more than Flash now.
With Firefox, watching YouTube HTML5 videos gets the CPU to 85 C within a minute. Using Flash, it stays around 67 C. Never been a fan of Flash, but this seems like a real improvement.

----------

If you don't want to wait, you can actually go ahead and install Flash from Adobe and then disable Chrome's internal Flash plugin. In Chrome's address bar, simply type chrome://plugins. You should see two plugins with different version numbers. Simply disable the older one, then restart.

KPOM
Oct 4, 2011, 11:00 AM
I noticed it last night on the demos on Adobe's website after downloading the update, but haven't tried it in general Flash videos such as CNet (which hadn't optimized their videos for Flash 10). Supposedly Adobe claims this will even help on "grandma's old PC running XP" with integrated graphics. Maybe they are finally getting Flash right, now that Apple doesn't include it, and Microsoft won't allow it on the Metro browser in Windows 8.

Daveoc64
Oct 4, 2011, 02:08 PM

Google released the update about an hour and a half after your post

Undone11091
Oct 5, 2011, 11:38 AM
thanks for the help. great update. vast improvements :)

YOKOJP
Oct 5, 2011, 01:13 PM
Great update. been watching about 2 and half hours of flash video and the fan haven't even kick in. (MBA 13" I5).

warfed
Oct 5, 2011, 01:21 PM
Have games improved? Can someone try

http://chrome.angrybirds.com/

My CPU goes over 90C within a minute of playing. I haven't updated to the newest version of flash yet as I'm not at home.

Cynicalone
Oct 5, 2011, 02:27 PM

My CPU goes over 90C within a minute of playing. I haven't updated to the newest version of flash yet as I'm not at home.

I opened the link in Safari and played for 5 minutes, my temps never went above 68 C.

IngerMan
Oct 5, 2011, 03:38 PM

I just played using chrome for a few minutes and My CPU hit 96, going to try it in Safari now.

Edit: Played 1 level longer in Safari and it never tipped 64, Odd though I did not have sound in Safari playing Chrome.angrybirds. I like the looks of Chrome but I think it uses more battery life and not sure what to think about the heat on chrome.angrybirds either.

Daveoc64
Oct 5, 2011, 04:08 PM
The Chrome version of Angry Birds only uses Flash for audio (which is hard to do using HTML5 at the moment). Audio should have a tiny impact on CPU.

The main part of Angry Birds is made using the Canvas feature of HTML, which Chrome doesn't support hardware acceleration for in Mac OS X.

This will result in higher CPU usage and poorer performance than in Safari (and consequently higher CPU temperatures).

RobQuads
Oct 6, 2011, 05:34 AM
The irony that Flash starts to perform better than HTML5 on the say Steve Jobs passed away.

Ramunas
Oct 8, 2011, 05:02 PM
After installing lion os I keep on having the same issues on youtube html5. It used to run smooth on leopard.