PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 To Be Released on October 12

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Oct 4, 2011, 12:47 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/ios-5-to-be-released-on-october-12/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/gdgt-iphone-5-event_024.jpg

(http://www.front.macrumors.com/?attachment_id=325587)At today's press event, Scott Forstall, Apple's VP of iOS Software, announced that iOS 5 will be available starting October 12.

iOS 5 was first previewed in June at WWDC and the release timeframe specified then was the "fall."

iOS 5 will be a free download compatible with the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, and the 3rd and 4th generation iPod touches.

Image courtesy of gdgt.com.

Article Link: iOS 5 To Be Released on October 12 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/ios-5-to-be-released-on-october-12/)

Ziger Woods
Oct 4, 2011, 01:09 PM
Can't wait, I was more excited for this then the new iphone 4s anyways!!!

Sackvillenb
Oct 4, 2011, 01:10 PM
Quite frankly, I'm more excited about the possibilities of IOS 5 than the actual hardware itself...

AAPLGeek
Oct 4, 2011, 01:16 PM
Is GM gonna drop today?

RayK
Oct 4, 2011, 01:35 PM
Is GM gonna drop today?

This is what I wanna know.

pdjudd
Oct 4, 2011, 01:45 PM
This is what I wanna know.
Yes. It will.

OMGwtfBBQwings
Oct 4, 2011, 01:48 PM
Is GM still for developers only? I remember the 4.00 and 4.3 GM's were available to anyone

xlii
Oct 4, 2011, 01:51 PM
IOS 5 should be renamed IOS 4s

pdjudd
Oct 4, 2011, 01:57 PM
Is GM still for developers only? I remember the 4.00 and 4.3 GM's were available to anyone
You remember wrong. GM's are always developer only and were never publicly available.

diddl14
Oct 4, 2011, 02:01 PM
iOS dev center is down, hopefully the GM version is being added...

http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

BigDukeSix
Oct 4, 2011, 02:33 PM
I am really looking forward to iOS 5.

I had no plans of getting a new iPhone till my current contract is up in about 21 months. By then we should be on the iPhone 5s with full 4g capability.

danpass
Oct 4, 2011, 02:36 PM
Can't wait, I was more excited for this then the new iphone 4s anyways!!!

this

I assume iCloud functionality is part of the release?

Jelite
Oct 4, 2011, 02:52 PM

You remember wrong. GM's are always developer only and were never publicly available.

I installed 4.3 GM without a dev account.

Elven
Oct 4, 2011, 03:52 PM
And I imagine if you have any issues when it actually rolls out you are not covered under any support?

I am tempted to install the GM on my iPhone4 but want to know if something goes badly wrong, I am safe.

(never jailbroken)

wrinkster22
Oct 4, 2011, 04:55 PM
Quite frankly, I'm more excited about the possibilities of IOS 5 than the actual hardware itself...

Just read your signature, nice iMac! Yep I am pretty excited for IOS5

wrinkster22
Oct 4, 2011, 05:31 PM

Just read your signature, nice iMac! Yep I am pretty excited for IOS5

19quiz76
Oct 4, 2011, 05:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can confirm that GM works very well on 3GS. I've had all the previous betas installed, the GM is by far the fastest and most reliable (so far).

Tuckrat
Oct 5, 2011, 02:57 AM
Let's hope they actually make it available for Verizon CDMA users this time. We've been stuck on 4.2.x for too long and for no good reason. I paid the same price for my iPhone and pay Verizon a good chunk of change for the plan, is it asking too much to be on par with my GSM toting brethren, so we can run apps that require IOS 4.3 or greater? :eek:

Crystalmess
Oct 5, 2011, 09:52 AM
I can't wait, I am so sad I have to wait a whole week!!! :(

mattburles
Oct 5, 2011, 04:19 PM
Let's hope they actually make it available for Verizon CDMA users this time. We've been stuck on 4.2.x for too long and for no good reason. I paid the same price for my iPhone and pay Verizon a good chunk of change for the plan, is it asking too much to be on par with my GSM toting brethren, so we can run apps that require IOS 4.3 or greater? :eek:

iOS 5 has been available since beta 1 for verizon CDMA :)

BigDukeSix
Oct 5, 2011, 04:52 PM
Yup, iOS 5 will be for all devices. I am so ready for next Wednesday!

M-Life
Oct 6, 2011, 01:20 PM
Anyone know what time of day it will be available?

Stanjara
Oct 6, 2011, 03:09 PM
I really hope that ios5 will be as smooth as 4.3.5 on 3gs. I am going to wait a little after the release to see all the feedback. I don't want to end up like 3g users with ios4.

If the ios 5 is going to be sluggish on 3gs i will stay on ios4 until i upgrade to ip4s

jbrucato
Oct 7, 2011, 07:15 AM
So I came up with this idea:

Since iOS 5 supports wireless syncing, I thought that I'd turn my old iPhone 4 into a glorified iPod touch. I have a Ford with MS Sync. I figured that I'll turn off all the radios on the iPhone 4 except wireless so everytime I pull into my driveway it will sync my new music. Ehh..ehh? Cool, right?

jmcgeejr
Oct 7, 2011, 01:44 PM
So I came up with this idea:

Since iOS 5 supports wireless syncing, I thought that I'd turn my old iPhone 4 into a glorified iPod touch. I have a Ford with MS Sync. I figured that I'll turn off all the radios on the iPhone 4 except wireless so everytime I pull into my driveway it will sync my new music. Ehh..ehh? Cool, right?

I believe, but I could be wrong, it wont automatically sync unless it's connected to a power source. You can manually start a sync though before you get out of the car.

WeegieMac
Oct 7, 2011, 02:53 PM
I'm delighted to confirm that, on the iPhone 4 anyway, iOS 5 is as smooth as can be.

There were a lot of niggles with the UI kit on 4.2 onwards, but the whole UI kit is butter smooth in 5.0, it's superb. The main niggles, as those familiar with my posts in the 4.3.3 animations thread will know, were that when you opened third party apps for the first time (after install or a reset), the launch animation would not run fully or at all, and look very untidy. When you returned to the home screen and relaunched the app, the animation ran in it's entirety. This has been rectified in iOS 5.

Also, if you had a full page of apps (all 16 spaces used), and you opened the multi-tasking tray, it would stutter a little. Now, on iOS 5, it's smooth as can be ... iOS 5 is a joy to use, it returns the iPhone 4 to the way it was on 4.0, if not better. I would imagine that these optimisations will come to the 3GS also.

jbrucato
Oct 8, 2011, 10:29 AM
I believe, but I could be wrong, it wont automatically sync unless it's connected to a power source. You can manually start a sync though before you get out of the car.

That's a really good point. It will be plugged into my car via USB, so hopefully (depending on how long it will take to sync) it will sync in the amount of time it's powered while in my car.

class77
Oct 9, 2011, 01:15 AM
If you update to iOS 5, will it screw up Mobile Me(for those of us who still have it running)?

BillyBobBongo
Oct 9, 2011, 04:35 AM
If you update to iOS 5, will it screw up Mobile Me(for those of us who still have it running)?

MobileMe still works perfectly on iOS5. Apple even mention that certain services will still be supported even after transition to iCloud.

However, some other services will not.

Xenc
Oct 9, 2011, 10:30 AM

You don't need a developer account to install and run the iOS 5 GM. It is the same file that will be released this Thursday.

wezman2k
Oct 9, 2011, 11:55 AM
i can say things didn't go well for me. made a backup with itunes 10.4.1 and 4.2.10 just prior to installing iTunes 10.5 beta 9 and ios 5. well, i restored to ios 5 and everything went well until i tried to restore from backup.

initially i kept getting a message that said my backup is corrupt or not compatible with the iphone. i then tried restoring from an older iphone backup located from time machine to see if that worked. it didn't.

eventually i just brought my backup to my friends computer which had 10.4.1. i put the phone in dfu and restored down to 4.2.10 which worked fine. when i tried restoring from the backup at this point the iphone would just disconnect for no reason in the middle of the upgrade. bummer.

thankfully i didn't lose too much because it's all on my computer...i did, however, lose my app organization and settings, text messages etc.

i won't be trying to upgrade early in the future, that's for sure. i'm also not sure if i really trust iphone backups anymore. now that i have everything back to normal i've made a fresh backup. let's hope i can rely on it for future updates/restores.

aside from the above issues i've been using iOS 5 and it's working great.

vaidyaso
Oct 10, 2011, 02:42 AM
Hi Techies,

I am new to this forum , as i am not developer i'll be waiting for ios 5 official release, i do have a quick question to ask. Can i upgrade my current iOS 5 running on iPhone 4 (32 GB) to iOS 5 ( on 12th Oct) without using WiFi ?

can someone please let me know the steps by step instruction, i don't want to loose any data, so please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
S

malias4
Oct 10, 2011, 03:56 AM
i will wait few days for the ios5 and then prob uograde and use thethered jb for the moment !!

QCassidy352
Oct 10, 2011, 06:18 AM
I'm delighted to confirm that, on the iPhone 4 anyway, iOS 5 is as smooth as can be.

There were a lot of niggles with the UI kit on 4.2 onwards, but the whole UI kit is butter smooth in 5.0, it's superb. The main niggles, as those familiar with my posts in the 4.3.3 animations thread will know, were that when you opened third party apps for the first time (after install or a reset), the launch animation would not run fully or at all, and look very untidy. When you returned to the home screen and relaunched the app, the animation ran in it's entirety. This has been rectified in iOS 5.

Also, if you had a full page of apps (all 16 spaces used), and you opened the multi-tasking tray, it would stutter a little. Now, on iOS 5, it's smooth as can be ... iOS 5 is a joy to use, it returns the iPhone 4 to the way it was on 4.0, if not better. I would imagine that these optimisations will come to the 3GS also.

Awesome, thanks for the update. I'm excited for those improvements/returns to the way things used to be. My 4 was so smooth on 4.0 and has gotten a lot worse. I was mostly just hoping 5.0 wouldn't be another step back, but if it makes things like 4.0 again, I'm thrilled.

ConnYoungy
Oct 10, 2011, 08:32 AM
What time are the iOS updates usually published? will it be like 9am worldwide, or 9am USA so it'll be 2pm or whatever in the UK, for example?

Yumunum
Oct 10, 2011, 08:43 AM
What time are the iOS updates usually published? will it be like 9am worldwide, or 9am USA so it'll be 2pm or whatever in the UK, for example?

Exactly what I'm wondering. And now I'm disappointed because I thought it might've been the 11th today... But it's the 10th :/ 2 more days!

Popinbottles
Oct 10, 2011, 08:50 AM
Anybody know if IOS 5 will be available at midnight on October 12? And will I have to plug in for this update or will it be ota?

Lukkee24
Oct 10, 2011, 08:53 AM
Anybody know if IOS 5 will be available at midnight on October 12? And will be have to plug in for this update or will it be ota?

You will have to connect your iOS device in to iTunes to get iOS 5 initially; so yea you have to plug it in.

Popinbottles
Oct 10, 2011, 09:14 AM
You will have to connect your iOS device in to iTunes to get iOS 5 initially; so yea you have to plug it in.

Thank you

b_scott
Oct 10, 2011, 09:49 AM
does anyone know if I can downgrade from iOS5 beta 7 back to the current 4.3.5 version?

Xenc
Oct 10, 2011, 10:13 AM
does anyone know if I can downgrade from iOS5 beta 7 back to the current 4.3.5 version?

You can. Look up TinyUmbrella.

mattburles
Oct 10, 2011, 10:25 AM
probably see iTunes 10.5 today or tomorrow than iOS 5 wednesday at the usual 10:00 am PT, 12:00 CT, 1:00 PM

b_scott
Oct 10, 2011, 10:34 AM
You can. Look up TinyUmbrella.

should've waited for your reply. I tried and now my phone is in perpetual DFU mode and gives me a 1604 error.

b_scott
Oct 10, 2011, 12:56 PM
FYI, was able to restore back to 5 beta 7.

mikemorris12
Oct 10, 2011, 10:05 PM
It was recommended by an ATT rep that I wait to install iOS5 on my 3GS. Comments were that when iOS4 was released it ran slow on iPhone3 and this could be a possibility of a similar scenario with iOS5 on a 3GS.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

macbookpro45
Oct 11, 2011, 07:35 AM
No IOS5 yet!

so apparently the 12th is tomorrow and today is the 11th, oops!

BigDukeSix
Oct 11, 2011, 07:45 AM
I just wonder if there is a specific time it will be available, or will it just show up tomorrow when it shows up? They probably don't want to say 'available at 5am PDT' or something like that so the servers don't crash with all the downloads.

TiZon
Oct 11, 2011, 08:09 AM
It was recommended by an ATT rep that I wait to install iOS5 on my 3GS. Comments were that when iOS4 was released it ran slow on iPhone3 and this could be a possibility of a similar scenario with iOS5 on a 3GS.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I installed the GM last Sunday, it is SMOOTH on my 3GS. Really!
I had the feeling that I would need to ditch the 3GS if I wanted to use iOS5 since 4.3... was already pretty sluggish but men, was I wrong...

philjo
Oct 11, 2011, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know how big the iOS 5 download file will be?

Amazing Iceman
Oct 11, 2011, 08:54 AM
In iOS 5, Synching over USB, WiFi or with iCloud does no longer prevent you from using your device. You will just see a "synching" icon on the top bar towards the left.
I was reading what another user said about not being ale t restore. I have tried both, a full install and a restore, and had no issues. Just make sure you first install the new iTunes before backing up. Also, make sure you do a Backup and not just a plain sync.
I read somewhere that Apple is having a big even tomorrow to celebrate the life of Steve Jobs, so I wonder if it will affect the time when iOS 5 will be released. It will be a private event just for Apple employees, so everyone seems to be going to be busy. This makes me speculate that iOS 5 may be launched before the even, hopefully early morning for the U.S.

iCloud is already running, so what we should expect to get tomorrow:
- iOS 5
- iTunes update
- OS X update (for OS X integration with iCloud)
- iWork for OS X update
- iLife update (???)
- Updates for other Apple OS X apps, such as Aperture, Logic, Final Cut etc. (?)
- iWork for iOS update
- Updates for a lot of third-party iOS apps to support iCloud.

So tomorrow is going to be a very busy day! All those "series of tubes" that run the Internet will be loaded with traffic. :D

----------

I agree, and also thanks to iOS 5, I now also know what a "niggle" is, thanks to it's on the fly dictionary. :D

----------

MobileMe still works perfectly on iOS5. Apple even mention that certain services will still be supported even after transition to iCloud.

However, some other services will not.
[EDIT: I just realized the following comment it's actually a reply that belongs to another post, not the one quoted above. Sorry for the inconvenience].
Strange, as iCloud offers to backup your Mail, maybe just to some extent. But, who would do that! A Gmail account accessed in Exchange or iMap mode allows the user to have the same content available on all devices.

Question: is SIRI also available for the iPad 2, or only for the iPhone 4S?

I'm also wondering if this new iPhone was the iPhone 5 that got renamed "iPhone 4S" as in "iPhone 4S(teve)"...

deeddawg
Oct 11, 2011, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know how big the iOS 5 download file will be?

The GM is about 812MB.

You will also likely need iTunes 10.5, beta 7 on Mac was about 85MB.

I'd also expect to see Lion 10.7.2 released so you can use iCloud from MacOS, I don't know the size.

philjo
Oct 11, 2011, 09:54 AM
The GM is about 812MB.

I'd also expect to see Lion 10.7.2 released so you can use iCloud from MacOS, I don't know the size.

Thanks for that. That's not too bad so shouldn't take too long to download (unless the whole world is trying to do it at the same time!)

ChrisTX
Oct 11, 2011, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know about what time the update will roll out tomorrow?

rjbruce
Oct 11, 2011, 10:37 AM
No IOS5 yet!

so apparently the 12th is tomorrow and today is the 11th, oops!

I also, unfortunately, woke up thinking today was the 12th...

mattburles
Oct 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
The GM is about 812MB.

Actually you will need iTunes 10.5 gm they arent going to make people download a beta to get the official iOS 5 release.

rjbruce
Oct 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
Actually you will need iTunes 10.5 gm they arent going to make people download a beta to get the official iOS 5 release.

I think it's better read:

"You will also likely need iTunes 10.5, ::COMMA:: beta 7 on Mac was about 85MB."

A reference to the size of the beta, not that beta would be distributed.

What a shame the death of the semicolon...

OMGwtfBBQwings
Oct 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
ive installed the beta, and got a message saying itunes will expire soon, d i just update when the new itunes is out?

gibbz
Oct 11, 2011, 12:00 PM
iTunes 10.5 is showing up for me on their site now.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

clayj
Oct 11, 2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/It's also available through Software Update now.

amann76
Oct 11, 2011, 02:13 PM
what time does ios drop tomorrow will it be midnight like the 4s or will it be later in the day

stridemat
Oct 11, 2011, 02:16 PM
^^^ Using nothing but historic release times, most big updates come out late afternoon in the UK. However we don't really know what time its going to be released.

aircanman
Oct 11, 2011, 06:04 PM
^^^ Using nothing but historic release times, most big updates come out late afternoon in the UK. However we don't really know what time its going to be released.

How many people are clicking the 'Check for Updates' button !!!

I think iOS 3 came out at around 6PM UK time when it did come. So may be a little wait for the UK.

Faffy
Oct 11, 2011, 08:04 PM
Really excited....I Will be checking every hour for the iOS 5 update. Just hope it's not as restricted as they say it is on iPhone 3 GS ??? :)

ericg301
Oct 11, 2011, 08:43 PM
Really excited....I Will be checking every hour for the iOS 5 update. Just hope it's not as restricted as they say it is on iPhone 3 GS ??? :)

There shouldn't be any 3GS restrictions (besides SIRI).

SuperMatt
Oct 11, 2011, 10:11 PM
I was thinking of staying up until 12:01AM Eastern US time, but I think I'll go to bed once this baseball game is over. The update will likely go live in the early afternoon, say 1PM Eastern, if they stick to their previous release timeframes. But, you never can tell for sure...

mattburles
Oct 11, 2011, 10:23 PM
doubt it gonna show up at midnight because apple is not in business hours than and plus they have released at 10am every other release.

taylob
Oct 11, 2011, 10:26 PM
are iCard and Find my Friends included in iOS5?? or will they be in the app store??

Gatteau
Oct 11, 2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Same here.

Nusent
Oct 11, 2011, 10:44 PM
I am just going to wake up and expect the update :)

mattburles
Oct 11, 2011, 11:02 PM
are iCard and Find my Friends included in iOS5?? or will they be in the app store??

app store and should be released around the same time as iOS 5 and iCloud.

look for updates to iWork apps as well :) that support iCloud and iOS 5.

dba415
Oct 12, 2011, 12:56 AM
Kind of want to just install the GM that was leaked, but I have waited this long, might as well wait for the "official" release...

watchthisspace
Oct 12, 2011, 02:25 AM
It's the 12th here, come on release!

onlyapple
Oct 12, 2011, 02:25 AM
what time will it be released in australia ? i have been clicking the check for updates button for ages

Bchagey
Oct 12, 2011, 03:14 AM
still nothing

vaidyaso
Oct 12, 2011, 03:19 AM
what time will it be released in australia ? i have been clicking the check for updates button for ages

seems its gonna be same time when apple special event took place . around 3-4 am AEST .... m too tried by checking again and again ... :mad::rolleyes:

lighthouse_man
Oct 12, 2011, 03:53 AM
seems its gonna be same time when apple special event took place . around 3-4 am AEST .... m too tried by checking again and again ... :mad::rolleyes:

Are you sure last time it wasn't the next day for Australia? If it comes out worldwide at 10am Pacific, it is 4am AEST but of the next day.

vaidyaso
Oct 12, 2011, 03:56 AM
Yeah .. for us its goona be 13th around 4 am AEST .. or you can say 10 AM PST .

KiwiAdventure
Oct 12, 2011, 04:06 AM
In New Zealand it should be 6am tomorrow morning :)

adder7712
Oct 12, 2011, 04:23 AM
17:23 MYT on the 12th...still no iOS 5 update.

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 04:26 AM
Will we have to wipe our phones when we install? Or can it update without deleting any data?

lighthouse_man
Oct 12, 2011, 04:36 AM
Will we have to wipe our phones when we install? Or can it update without deleting any data?

It shouldn't but you also are better off backing up your data, transferring your purchases, and syncing overall before attempting to update.

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 04:39 AM
It shouldn't but you also are better off backing up your data, transferring your purchases, and syncing overall before attempting to update.

Ah, will do, thanks.

tehdee
Oct 12, 2011, 05:56 AM
8pm in seoul. no update yet.

adder7712
Oct 12, 2011, 06:31 AM
It's 19:31 Malaysian Standard Time on the 12th.

Still no update. :( Had to use Boot Camp because I have more disk space there, go figure.

spokes1124
Oct 12, 2011, 06:39 AM
More than likely it will be at 5am like when Lion came out.

Anekdote
Oct 12, 2011, 06:51 AM
13:51 +1 GMT, still no update.

dgmiller81
Oct 12, 2011, 06:52 AM
nm

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 06:54 AM
Seven more hours, at least til 2PM PST.

paulsalter
Oct 12, 2011, 06:55 AM
I would imagine another 5 hours before this

Updates usually come out at 6pm uk time (5pm gmt, 10am pacific)

JeffPerren
Oct 12, 2011, 07:00 AM
I'm a U.S. citizen temporarily in Colombia. I connected my iPad to my MacAir and iTunes said to download/update the iPad to 4.3.5 - which I did. (I updated iTunes to 10.5 on my Mac yesterday).

Now it says the iPad is up to date... Is it sensing that my IP address is non-US and therefore ios 5 is not available to me here (yet)?

Thanks, Jeff

stridemat
Oct 12, 2011, 07:04 AM
I'm a U.S. citizen temporarily in Colombia. I connected my iPad to my MacAir and iTunes said to download/update the iPad to 4.3.5 - which I did. (I updated iTunes to 10.5 on my Mac yesterday).

Now it says the iPad is up to date... Is it sensing that my IP address is non-US and therefore ios 5 is not available to me here (yet)?

Thanks, Jeff

Its not you. Its Apple. They have yet to release it. So no one is able to downlaod it.

spokes1124
Oct 12, 2011, 07:18 AM
I hated waiting for Lion, and here I am waiting on this. I am reading that 10.7.2 is also coming out to support the iCloud so pretty much the software update has an alarm to wake me up. Good night you guys.

MacDryCleaner
Oct 12, 2011, 07:20 AM
Once everything is released does anyone know what the step by step guide is gonna be for moving from mobileme to icloud? Is it posted anywhere?

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 07:22 AM
Once everything is released does anyone know what the step by step guide is gonna be for moving from mobileme to icloud? Is it posted anywhere?

Everything will be pretty much self-explanatory.

xCromwell
Oct 12, 2011, 07:32 AM
8:31 AM EDT - Canada

Still no iOS 5 :(

satsonic
Oct 12, 2011, 07:50 AM
Does anyone know when we can expect iOS 5 in the States? It's almost 8am CST and still no update.

act1980
Oct 12, 2011, 07:56 AM
4 more hours fingers crossed!!!!!:apple:

gawlin
Oct 12, 2011, 08:02 AM

http://help.apple.com/icloud/?lang=en

satsonic
4 more hours fingers crossed!!!!!:apple:

What is your source for this claim?

raincrew
9:02 in North Carolina and no iOS 5 update :(

b_scott
Oct 12, 2011, 08:10 AM
http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/10/12/ios-5-release-time-zones-listed/

http://static.product-reviews.net/wp-content/uploads/iosdownloadtime-uk.jpg

ScottNWDW
Oct 12, 2011, 08:11 AM
What is your source for this claim?

Typically iOS updates release around 10am PST. When the poster wrote the 4 hours post he it was at approx 6am PST, therefore 4 hours. His source therefore is past experience with these matters.

There is no telling of exactly when Apple will post the update(s) but typically in the past it was around 10am Pacific Time, which is 1:00PM on the east coast of the United States.

satsonic
Oct 12, 2011, 08:15 AM
Typically iOS updates release around 10am PST. When the poster wrote the 4 hours post he it was at approx 6am PST, therefore 4 hours. His source therefore is past experience with these matters.

There is no telling of exactly when Apple will post the update(s) but typically in the past it was around 10am Pacific Time, which is 1:00PM on the east coast of the United States.

Thanks for the explanation. That's all I was asking.

act1980
Oct 12, 2011, 08:27 AM

Thank you!;)

adder7712
Oct 12, 2011, 08:33 AM

There is no telling of exactly when Apple will post the update(s) but typically in the past it was around 10am Pacific Time, which is 1:00PM on the east coast of the United States. However, some people have managed to download the update before 10:00 US Pacific Time.

Guess I'll wait until tomorrow, 1:00 is simply too late (school night).

lighthouse_man
Oct 12, 2011, 08:45 AM
However, some people have managed to download the update before 10:00 US Pacific Time.

Guess I'll wait until tomorrow, 1:00 is simply too late (school night).

10am PST is an estimate based on previous experiences. It may get released at 9am PST or at 10pm PST for all we know. It's set for release today, that's all Apple said.

sotorious
Oct 12, 2011, 08:46 AM
so 10am pacific time is when the update is being released? funny i dont see to much discussion about it going around.

jjmcm
Oct 12, 2011, 08:53 AM
15:53 in Sweden, still no iOS 5......

whammink
Oct 12, 2011, 09:24 AM
They better not be any later than usual...

mszpara
Oct 12, 2011, 09:26 AM
impatiently waiting in Chicago ... :D

RobNev
Oct 12, 2011, 09:43 AM
Waiting and waiting in London :):D

BornAgainMac
Oct 12, 2011, 09:48 AM
Almost time to hammer Apple's servers.

taylob
Oct 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
impatiently waiting in Chicago ... :D

same here, got up an hour early... and nothing :/

MacFly69
Oct 12, 2011, 09:57 AM
interesting, now i'm getting this...

StevenisOLy
Oct 12, 2011, 10:00 AM
interesting, now i'm getting this...I think it might be time to update your apps.. :eek: Btw, I am not getting that message; just the standard "I have the current version" one.

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 10:00 AM
Almost time to hammer Apple's servers.

They're hammering us right now, so it's only fair.

aquadisiac
Oct 12, 2011, 10:08 AM
Patiently waiting here in Atlanta :)

b_scott
Oct 12, 2011, 10:12 AM
everyone saw my post at the top of the page, right? 10AM Pacific.

no need to "wait" - just do something else and come back at 10AM/P

:)

jbLighty
Oct 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
Patiently waiting here in Cupertino
It's only 8:17 am :(

aquadisiac
Oct 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
everyone saw my post at the top of the page, right? 10AM Pacific.

no need to "wait" - just do something else and come back at 10AM/P

:)
We don't mind waiting. I have nothing to do today really. LOL

ratboy90
Oct 12, 2011, 10:18 AM
London here is steadily getting annoyed

Hongkongfu
Oct 12, 2011, 10:19 AM
22h18 here and nö iOS 5 :(

Icloud is Pit and findmyfriends is in the AppStore but nö iOS 5 still

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 10:20 AM
22h18 here and nö iOS 5 :(

Icloud is Pit and findmyfriends is in the AppStore but nö iOS 5 still

1.3 more hours! Be patient!

Danny Mac
Oct 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if the NorCal Mac Rumors contingent were standing outside Apple HQ in Cupertino with signs demanding a release at 1201 PST this morning.

AppleFanatic10
Oct 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
15:53 in Sweden, still no iOS 5......

Did you read the chart?

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
Did you read the chart?

Doesn't seem like it. :rolleyes:

Wozza2010
Oct 12, 2011, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know when this is out UK time?

edit - its 6pm just seen the chart on previous page.

RiskyShenanigan
Oct 12, 2011, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know when this is out UK time? Someone said 6pm is that right?

Yep Yep.

Dave Felix
Oct 12, 2011, 10:45 AM
Well todays the 12th.. and I still don't have icloud lol

RangeMaster619
Oct 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
Anyone have any idea how long the update will take on the iPhone 4?

----------

interesting, now i'm getting this...

I was getting that this morning. I think its cause we are all sitting on our computers hitting the update buttin every 30 seconds. lol

stevod
Oct 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
Anyone have any idea how long the update will take on the iPhone 4?[COLOR="#808080"]

I think it'll be the download that takes longer than the install, unless you get in quick before the demand ramps up.

S

TWR Motorsport
Oct 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
1 hour until the UK kills the Apple servers :)

bungiefan89
Oct 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
I think it'll be the download that takes longer than the install, unless you get in quick before the demand ramps up.

SYou will have difficulty beating ME to the download, good sirs!

I am sitting pretty on a college campus on the west coast. I've got my charger cord in one holster, my iPod touch in the other, and I'm sitting pretty on a campus wi-fi that can download the potentially 600 MB update in under 6 minutes.

At 10, I'll have the quickest draw! YEEEE-HAAAAW!

Shearwater
Oct 12, 2011, 10:59 AM
.....maybe??
Any bets on which Country will pick IOS5 up first??

mszpara
Oct 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
.....maybe??
Any bets on which country will pick ios5 up first??

amuuricah!!

besweeeet
Oct 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
You guys still aren't on iOS 5? Should've gotten the GM.

Ozfanboi4ever
Oct 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
Hi,
Whoever thinks can beat me to the update is unfortunately mistaken.
Im in australia, it's 12:03 in the morning and everything is silent, I sit in a room with my updated IMac with my iPhone already plugged in. I'm staring at a wall and counting the seconds. Nothing and I repeat Nothing will stop me beating you all.

Ps I know how sad that is^

BigDukeSix
Oct 12, 2011, 11:05 AM
Hi,
Im in australia, it's 12:03 in the morning and everything is silent, I sit in a room with my updated IMac with my iPhone already plugged in. I'm staring at a wall and counting the seconds. Nothing and I repeat Nothing will stop me beating you all.

Funny, sad, and shows the true devotion of us Apple fans. I do indeed hope you are first!

Dave Felix
Oct 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
You guys still aren't on iOS 5? Should've gotten the GM.

We got that but Im just waiting for iCloud to become available for my MBP

Deej
Oct 12, 2011, 11:07 AM

At least you are aware of that - is the wall interesting?

USMCWifey07
Oct 12, 2011, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know what time PST will the iOS 5 be released at?

Ozfanboi4ever
Oct 12, 2011, 11:09 AM
At least you are aware of that - is the wall interesting?

Yes, it has a apple poster on it :)

BigDukeSix
Oct 12, 2011, 11:10 AM

Best guess right now is on, or about, 10:00am PDT.

Deej
Oct 12, 2011, 11:10 AM
yes, it has a apple poster on it :)

lol!

tkermit
Oct 12, 2011, 11:12 AM

10AM (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=How+long+until+10+AM+Cupertino%2C+CA+when+iOS+5+is+released%3F)

USMCWifey07
Oct 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks

mszpara
Oct 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
Hi,

Don't fall asleep! ;)

Ozfanboi4ever
Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 AM
Don't fall asleep! ;)

Never, I have alarms set for 5min b4 just in case anyway

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 11:21 AM
Never, I have alarms set for 5min b4 just in case anyway

Haha, I just set the alarm myself.

KittiFatale
Oct 12, 2011, 11:22 AM
How many hours left?

Lukeyy19
Oct 12, 2011, 11:25 AM
I'm in the UK and I start work at 6pm, dangit, I'm gonna have to wait until after work to do it :( i was hoping to have it done so i could play with it while at work.

tejagamer
If the sources are true, it will be more 30 mins... Dammit!!!
Cant wait... it will be night 10:30 here in India..
Guess I will do it tom morn..

tkermit
How many hours left?

0.02422 days

spenm
Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn

Come on already!

:rolleyes:

bruleke
Oct 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
Hi,

Isnt that incredible?
Good for you, friend!
Hope that makes you earn more money at your job (if you have one), hope that being the first to download it makes you famous! I am sure the whole world will stop just to congrats you. :)

Ozfanboi4ever
Oct 12, 2011, 11:27 AM
Isnt that incredible?
Good for you, friend!
Hope that makes you earn more money at your job (if you have one), hope that being the first to download it makes you famous! I am sure the whole world will stop just to congrats you. :)

I hope all that happens too :)

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 11:29 AM
30 mins to go.

bruleke
Oct 12, 2011, 11:29 AM
I hope all that happens too :)

I will pray for that.

Question: whats going to happen after you be the first one to download it?

stevod
Oct 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
^be the first to install it, I'd expect.

wazgilbert
Oct 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
I will pray for that.

You get to say *DING* level-up, and +eleventy-million XP for my guild!

Ozfanboi4ever
Oct 12, 2011, 11:32 AM
I will pray for that.

I'm going to sleep. Its available for download at 1am in Oz

bruleke
Oct 12, 2011, 11:32 AM
^be the first to install it, I'd expect.

Thats... thats... thats just WONDERFUL!

http://www.bolgernow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/master-of-the-obvious.jpg

ahahahaha

act1980
Oct 12, 2011, 11:34 AM
ahhhhh I'm losing patience:rolleyes:

Deej
Oct 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
I'm going to sleep. Its available for download at 1am in Oz

For a minute there I thought you were suggesting that 'sleep' is available at 1am in Oz!

gta50419
Oct 12, 2011, 11:36 AM
This update should have been released 12AM this morning.
Is iTunes match & iCloud coming today too?

bruleke
Oct 12, 2011, 11:37 AM
ahhhhh I'm losing patience:rolleyes:

Be strong, man!
Remember the dude above us: he is doing all the efforts to be the first one to download IOS 5.
He's an example! Follow him!

Have you ever seen the movie "the shawshank redemption"?
He's that banker! Except for the rape thing...

Just... inspirational.
"I was the first one to download IOS 5"
Can you imagine it???
WOWWWWW! :D

Gatteau
Oct 12, 2011, 11:39 AM
This update should have been released 12AM this morning.
Is iTunes match & iCloud coming today too?

Just iCloud. iTunes match will come by the end of the month.

marine610610
Oct 12, 2011, 11:40 AM
Only Apple could generate this much...traffic.. about a software update. That being said, I wish they would hurry the F#$$ up already. What is the point of launching at these weird times? Its like further exercise of control just b/c they can.

Ozfanboi4ever
Oct 12, 2011, 11:41 AM
Be strong, man!
Remember the dude above us: he is doing all the efforts to be the first one to download IOS 5.
He's an example! Follow him!

Have you ever seen the movie "the shawshank redemption"?
He's that banker! Except for the rape thing...

Just... inspirational.
"I was the first one to download IOS 5"
Can you imagine it???
WOWWWWW! :D

Yes u caught me, I'm Andy dufresne

wazgilbert
Oct 12, 2011, 11:43 AM

Sorry? Dufrais? from fonejacker?

Gatteau
I hope Apple's servers are ready for all the hammering that's about to happen.

bruleke

ahahahahahahahah
I love people with good sense of humor! :p

Calm down, man. Only 15 minutes to go!
Blow up that Apple's server with your download! :o

SharpTenor
Mac newb here. How will it be updated? Do I need to sync to my computer? Will it be in the app store on the iPad?

stevod
Oct 12, 2011, 11:44 AM
Mac newb here. How will it be updated? Do I need to sync to my computer? Will it be in the app store on the iPad?

Just sync and it should be offered to you....once it's gone live.

S

Ozfanboi4ever
Oct 12, 2011, 11:45 AM
ahahahahahahahah
I love people with good sense of humor! :p

Calm down, man. Only 15 minutes to go!
Blow up that Apple's server with your download! :o

I plan to, the carton of red bull was worth the money to b up 4 this :)

bruleke
Oct 12, 2011, 11:47 AM
I plan to, the carton of red bull was worth the money to b up 4 this :)

Here in Brazil its going to be launched at 2pm.
So I am ok... just had lunch, waiting for the update...
AH! Also its holiday in Brazil (children's day).
I am not a child anymore, but no work here!

aquadisiac

Plug it to your computer and check for updates in Itunes I presume. Correct me if im wrong guys.

bruleke
Plug it to your computer and check for updates in Itunes I presume. Correct me if im wrong guys.

No, I will not correct you...

...because you are not wrong.

Hisdem
Oct 12, 2011, 11:49 AM

These are easily going to be the longest 10 minutes of my recent life...

dba415
Oct 12, 2011, 11:50 AM
ahh I have to be at work by 12:30 CST (it's like 15 mins away) but I'm adamant that I will install iOS5 by then. It better release on time...and my d'load speed better be good enough.

bruleke
Oct 12, 2011, 11:51 AM

Hey! Hello "neighbor"!
How's the clean up in Congresso Nacional? Many brooms out there to clean those basterds?

falcora
I'm already running the GM but I need to update to the legit version cause my iPad needs a trip to the genius bar later today :)

Gatteau

Cannot agree more.

phanthuan108
Oct 12, 2011, 11:53 AM
Now, is 11.52PM - It release at 12PM (0h).

mattburles
going to be a server overload today? iOS 5, iCloud, 10.7.2

Ozfanboi4ever
I'm sorry people but I must now leave and tend to the more pressing matter of this update.

I wish u all luck with iOS 5.

rollzst
Oct 12, 2011, 11:54 AM
eagerly awaiting this, in UK! 7 minutes to go, better be on time!

erialvzz805
I wonder if apple servers will have any problems with all the traffic? I don't want to encounter error problems for the next day.

pj-uk

Cannot agree more.

What about those of us waiting for iOS5 JB? :p

Hisdem
Oct 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hey! Hello "neighbor"!
How's the clean up in Congresso Nacional? Many brooms out there to clean those basterds?

Was really fun (I was there). Not sure it will make a difference, but still. Better than sitting around and doing nothing, I guess. The broom looks quite nice, too.

act1980
Whats the betting Apple are playing with us and won't update for a few more hours!!

Gatteau
I wonder if apple servers will have any problems with all the traffic? I don't want to encounter error problems for the next day.

Things could get slow, but that's about it.

bruleke
I'm sorry people but I must now leave and tend to the more pressing matter of this update.

I wish u all luck with iOS 5.

This looks like a Titanic phrase (when the musicians are saying good bye to each other).

Hisdem
Oct 12, 2011, 11:56 AM
What about those of us waiting for iOS5 JB? :p

Well, that does include me because I want to be able to freaking use Siri on my iP4. But, the JB is most likely done and just waiting for the official OS to come out...

BigDukeSix
Oct 12, 2011, 11:56 AM
Do any of you ask yourselves, 'i wonder if any of the folks at Apple who actually hit the 'go' switch read these boards?' I know I do. And, they probably just sit and laugh at us...

Ozfanboi4ever
Oct 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
This looks like a Titanic phrase (when the musicians are saying good bye to each other).

OMG so true, I got bored so I came back, leaving again now though, bye

dba415
Oct 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
If it's not out by EXACTLY 1 pm eastern I will be pissed.

iPadPhone
Oct 12, 2011, 11:59 AM

Even if it's 1 minute before?

wonderspark
This amuses me. :p

Yumunum
1 minute till ten... I don't really have my hopes up though :P

Morvajo
Do any of you ask yourselves, 'i wonder if any of the folks at Apple who actually hit the 'go' switch read these boards?' I know I do. And, they probably just sit and laugh at us...

hahaha :p

bungiefan89
1 minute till ten... I don't really have my hopes up though :PPrediction: it won't be up.

t-minus 5!

Deej
Oct 12, 2011, 12:00 PM
OMG so true, I got bored so I came back, leaving again now though, bye

I predict you'll be back... ;)

bruleke
Was really fun (I was there). Not sure it will make a difference, but still. Better than sitting around and doing nothing, I guess. The broom looks quite nice, too.

I have to disagree.

Let me see if I can explain: fight against CORRUPTION is like asking for a whore to be virgin.

Its the same as fight against VIOLENCE.

Do you think that the robbers will think: "Oh, I will not steal anymore because people are asking for less violence". Seriously?

Here is what I think: we need to be OBJECTIVE! Not fight against ourruption, but fight against CERTAIN PEOPLE (Sarney, Collor, Paloci and the whole gang).

Remember the "painted faces" while Collor was the president?
People were not fighting against corruption... its too 'vague', to 'general'.
They were figthing against a PERSON, a NAME.

I dont think Sarney will think "Oh, I will not take more money to me because people are using brooms..."
The message MUST be TO him, not to a 'general idea' because these basterds doesnt care!
BUT, if we scream "GET OUT SARNEY" instead of "get out corruption", it might work...

These are my thougts!

rollzst
well its not here yet!

bungiefan89
Let the "Check for Update" button mashing begin!!!! :cool:

ilko
Oct 12, 2011, 12:01 PM
1PM Eastern:

This version of the iPhone software (4.3.5) is the current version.

Psych! :p

dba415
nooooooo!

Anotoneher
Will probably take 15-20 minutes to hit the web and be available through iTunes.

falcora
Oct 12, 2011, 12:02 PM
i don't even know if mine is going to show up, i'm running the GM already

bruleke
Oct 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
DOWNLOADING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... the new episode of Two and a Half men.

bungiefan89

... the new episode of Two and a Half men.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

OMG NEVERMIND IT'S UP FOR REAL NOW!!!!

gav.moore
its live!!!!

darthlinux
No update here for the UK its 18:03 :mad:

ITS HERE !!!!!!!!!

ilko
And we're in business:

A new iPhone software version (5.0) is available for the iPhone “GT Expert”. Would you like to download it and update your iPhone now?

ECUpirate44
i don't even know if mine is going to show up, i'm running the GM already

Id like to know this as well.

Radon
Oct 12, 2011, 12:04 PM

lol!! Damn it!

rollzst
it just became available here in the UK for 1 second clicked download and it disappeared again!!!

higgbeme
I have a feeling we're all going to be sitting here for a very long time saying, "just 5 more minutes!" "It's going to happen soon!!"

Ozfanboi4ever

Gold^

Me= Devastation

andyp350

literally made me lol

phanthuan108
Where Download????

bruleke
what the heck?

hooneyrob
No update here for the UK its 18:03 :mad:

18:04 here :rolleyes: No update :)

dba415
it's up!

Dr Yueh
Whooo, downloading from Sweden!

blg123
Oct 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
Updating my iPhone 4 now to iOS 5!!

Hisdem
I have to disagree.

Let me see if I can explain: fight against CORRUPTION is like asking for a whore to be virgin.

Its the same as fight against VIOLENCE.

Do you think that the robbers will think: "Oh, I will not steal anymore because people are asking for less violence". Seriously?

Here is what I think: we need to be OBJECTIVE! Not fight against ourruption, but fight against CERTAIN PEOPLE (Sarney, Collor, Paloci and the whole gang).

Remember the "painted faces" while Collor was the president?
People were not fighting against corruption... its too 'vague', to 'general'.
They were figthing against a PERSON, a NAME.

I dont think Sarney will think "Oh, I will not take more money to me because people are using brooms..."
The message MUST be TO him, not to a 'general idea' because these basterds doesnt care!
BUT, if we scream "GET OUT SARNEY" instead of "get out corruption", it might work...

These are my thougts!

I know. I honestly don't believe anything will come out of this, but we're at a stage that it's either this, or we invade the Congress with sticks and stones and start killing people, because it's not going to work out any other way. At least this way we get the media's attention. And perhaps even persuade some of the bastards hunting for votes to do something just in order to gain our support.

b_scott
it's up

David Webb
18:04 GMT and my download is in process!

Ozfanboi4ever
Me = Downloading :)

IzzyJG99
Up for me, too.

hetrigger

SOOOO MEEEEAAANN:rolleyes:

theycallmesteve
it's up!

Yep!

Rab Simpson
iPad 2 now downloading iOS 5 :D

Pillar
downloading *7 min remaining*

Man9z0r
Just started my download right now! :D

Nuttydev
774.4mb.. will take a while on my internet :(

higgbeme
I have a feeling we're all going to be sitting here for a very long time saying, "just 5 more minutes!" "It's going to happen soon!!"

I take that back. Downloading...

ilko
Now it's back down again...

ratboy90
where is it?????? argggghhhhh

wazgilbert
just had it up = would you like to update? then 'you really should transfer purchases, and then 4.3.5 again!! FFS!

and I'm off - UK - 707.2Mb and 40 mins?

Ozfanboi4ever
its 774mb for anyone who wants to know :)

Anotoneher
Oct 12, 2011, 12:06 PM
This version of the iPhone software (4.2.10) is the current version.

1:05pm and not available yet still

Sokar117
downloading now in luxembourg

Gatteau
It's out. Downloading right now.

act1980
Woop woop!!

aircanman